Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 what makes it canon?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  03:54:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know what canon is, but how "epic" does something have to be to be considered canon? The ToT was canon, for example, but what about events in novels that, while big in that it effects the characters, return things to the "status quo" at the end? In the God Catcher (part of Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep series), the dragon Nestrix inhabits Waterdeep. Is that now canon in regards to the city? If a description of Waterdeep appeared in 5e, would they mention Nestrix?

What, in your opinion, would make something qualify as canon?

Sweet water and light laughter

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  04:00:03  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, anything published by WotC/TSR that has the FR logo on it is canonical realmslore.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  04:06:55  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That makes sense, and legends are canon in that they are canon in lore. But I was just wondering if an event that doesn't necessarily affect the larger scheme of things would still be considered canon.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  04:17:45  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any event in a novel or product is Canon no matter how small.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  04:29:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

AFAIK, anything published by WotC/TSR that has the FR logo on it is canonical realmslore.
Yes. And everything Ed says, unless contradicted by WotC.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  05:20:53  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, thanks guys. I figured as much, but I wasn't entirely sure if "small" events counted. Guess they do

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  07:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on whether you're reading the novels or playing the table top game.

If you're reading the novels, it's canon if it gets mentioned in future products or otherwise isn't contradicted, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

If you're playing the table top game, then it's canon if the DM says it is.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  20:44:23  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'll even canonize something from FR CRPG's if it doesn't stray too far from feeling Realmslike and it's not a RSE

although that's not WotC official stance i believe

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  21:52:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

If you're reading the novels, it's canon if it gets mentioned in future products or otherwise isn't contradicted, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Actually, all of the novels are official WotC canon, unless stated otherwise. Ditto for the source books, the web content, and the old DC/TSR comics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  22:26:38  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything published is canon for THE Realms. If you are playing a table top game, the DM can decide what is canon is HIS/HER Realms. The two may not be the same thing. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  00:40:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[quote]Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Actually, all of the novels are official WotC canon, unless stated otherwise. Ditto for the source books, the web content, and the old DC/TSR comics.
I think CoA might be referring more to the difficulty of ascertaining the canon status of certain novels... like the "Double Diamond" Saga, for example. Which, if I were to judge from the number of scrolls that have been issued over questions about their canonical-status here at Candlekeep in the past, suggests that it isn't always as concrete as, say, the events of the "Songs and Swords" series.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  14:08:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two (unofficial) layers of canon below canon. Anything with the Forgotten realms Logo on it is considered canon, except for the VG's and the Double Diamond series (AFAIK - there may be others, like the 'make your own ending' books). Those two groups fall into the psuedo-canonical category, which means that they are 'mostly canon', except for where they disagree with canon (there are multiple continuity glitches). From what I understand, writers try to canonize as much of that stuff as possible in other material, but the main source is not strictly canon.

And then there is my favorite category - demi-canon. There is a plethora of FR-specific info available in other TSR products that do not bear the FR logo, the most notorious of which is Realmspace. That stuff is canon for D&D (in regards to the Realms), but not 100% canon to the FR IP itself. It also gets the same treatment as psuedo-canon; writers try to canonize some of it in other material. Other good examples of this are many of the devices in the Book of Artifacts, and the Island of Sahu in the Complete Book of Necromancers.

*Grammatical corrections.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2012 15:30:24
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  16:53:41  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC should really adopt a clear method to determine what is or is not canon.
Perhaps something like the Star Wars method could be used.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  17:00:33  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Wars? Why make a mess out of it when we got atleast some sort of canonical line worked out?

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  17:01:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There two (unofficial) layers of canon below canon. Anything with the Fogotten realms Logo on it is considered canon, except for the VG's and the Double Diamond series (AFAIK - there may be others, like the 'make your own ending' books). Those two groups fall into the psuedo-canonical category, which means that they are 'mostly canon', except for where they disagree with canon (there are multiple continuity glitches). From what I understand, writers try to canonize as much of that stuff as possible in other material, but the main source is not strictly canon.

And then there is my favorite category - demi-canon. There is a plethora of FR-specific info available in other TSR products that do not bear the FR logo, the most notorious of which is Realmspace. That stuff is canon for D&D (in regards to the Realms), but not 100% canon to the FR IP itself. It also gets the same treatment as psuedo-canon; writers try to canonize some of it in other material. Other good examples of this are many of the devices in the Book of Artifacts, and the Island of Sahu in the Complete Book of Necromancers.

The VG's? If you're referring to te Volo's Guides, those are canon.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  17:02:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

There is a clear method. If they publish it, it's canon. Can't get much clearer than that.

Again, there are only a small handful of things that don't conform to this rule, and none of them are any kind of recent.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  02:34:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There two (unofficial) layers of canon below canon. Anything with the Fogotten realms Logo on it is considered canon, except for the VG's and the Double Diamond series (AFAIK - there may be others, like the 'make your own ending' books). Those two groups fall into the psuedo-canonical category, which means that they are 'mostly canon', except for where they disagree with canon (there are multiple continuity glitches). From what I understand, writers try to canonize as much of that stuff as possible in other material, but the main source is not strictly canon.

I think Markus is referring to video games based in the FORGOTTEN REALMS.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  02:35:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Star Wars? Why make a mess out of it when we got atleast some sort of canonical line worked out?

Well, to be fair, SW has expanded into many more forms of medium than the FORGOTTEN REALMS. Leeland Chee of Lucas Licensing has done a remarkable job in establishing the system of canon that the entire SW universe now operates beneath.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  10:42:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well, to be fair, SW has expanded into many more forms of medium than the FORGOTTEN REALMS. Leeland Chee of Lucas Licensing has done a remarkable job in establishing the system of canon that the entire SW universe now operates beneath.

Exactly my point.
The whole whatever we publish is canon even if it contradicts older stuff philosophy works fine when your company is small but as WOTC expands into new areas and new media they may need a more clearly defined framework.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  14:19:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly my point.
The whole whatever we publish is canon even if it contradicts older stuff philosophy works fine when your company is small but as WOTC expands into new areas and new media they may need a more clearly defined framework.

Not really. What they need is what they used to have -- a "traffic cop" who makes sure continuity issues are kept to a minimum. The elimination of that position is part of why I maintain that the importance of continuity was disregarded for a time. However, it appears that the folks working on the 5E Realms are going to pay far greater attention to continuity, so we will hopefully not have further issues.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  15:35:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We will see how important Star Wars continuity is moving forward. Have you ever followed a Disney show or movies? Kiss SW's much-vaunted continuity goodbye.

If Disney can make changes to mythology willy-nilly (like presenting Hera as Hercules' mother, which is just SO wrong), I really doubt they'll show any more respect to a 35 year old franchise.

Rodenberry must be rolling over in his grave for what his wife allowed to happen to ST (despite my enjoying the new movie, he certainly never wanted a 'new continuity'). He was as much a stickler for precise and logical 'canon' as Lucas is/was.

quote:

quote:

I think Markus is referring to video games based in the FORGOTTEN REALMS.
Correct - I shouldn't have abbreviated that (forgot about the Volo's guides - of course those are canon).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2012 15:40:20
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  15:45:44  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We will see how important Star Wars continuity is moving forward. Have you ever followed a Disney show or movies? Kiss SW's much-vaunted continuity goodbye.

If Disney can make changes to mythology willy-nilly (like presenting Hera as Hercules' mother, which is just SO wrong), I really doubt they'll show any more respect to a 35 year old franchise.

Rodenberry must be rolling over in his grave for what his wife allowed to happen to ST (despite my enjoying the new movie, he certainly never wanted a 'new continuity'). He was as much a stickler for precise and logical 'canon' as Lucas is/was.

You have just described the darkest nightmares of all Star Wars fans.
However as Lucas is still consulting with Disney on the movies hopefully there wont be too much mangling but I think everybody is kind of nervous about the treatment Disney will give to a long running and beloved franchise.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  15:56:21  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard for Rodenberry to roll in a grave, his ashes were sent into space.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  17:40:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

However as Lucas is still consulting with Disney on the movies hopefully there wont be too much mangling but I think everybody is kind of nervous about the treatment Disney will give to a long running and beloved franchise.

Many Star Wars fans are worried about the mangling done by Lucas, not by Disney!

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  17:59:52  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Many Star Wars fans are worried about the mangling done by Lucas, not by Disney!

Yes but that was canonically accurate mangling at least.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  01:27:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's remember, though, that traditionally, the SW filmverse and the material in the EU have both often been fairly separate. In the context you're suggesting above... the SW filmverse is pretty simplistic when it comes to the characters -- both heroes and villains, their relationships, and the adventures they find themselves in.

I'd imagine Disney will continue this trend, and simply build on the filmverse platform that Lucas created.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  03:07:50  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Disney simplifying plots is not the same as Star Wars.
Hera was made Hercules mother because Zeus raping people and being a giant slut is not family friendly...

Do you really think people will let their child watch Ariel turning into foam at the end of the Little Mermaid, or the witch getting burned to death in metal shoes in Snow White?
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  04:08:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I was about to mention something along those lines myself. Disney couldn't show Zues commiting adultery against Hera and having a son from it in an animated movie, now, COULD they? Or Ariel dying of a broken heart when her fickle prince marries someone else? Or, heaven forbid- mentioning that Pocahontas died of TB? Those wre kiddie movies, after all. I mean, would we really want their take on Hamlet to end with Simba dying in a duel with Scar, and Nala committing suicide? I think not. And let's not forget what happened to Timone and Pumba- er, excuse me, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  05:22:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Heh, I was about to mention something along those lines myself. Disney couldn't show Zues commiting adultery against Hera and having a son from it in an animated movie, now, COULD they? Or Ariel dying of a broken heart when her fickle prince marries someone else? Or, heaven forbid- mentioning that Pocahontas died of TB? Those wre kiddie movies, after all. I mean, would we really want their take on Hamlet to end with Simba dying in a duel with Scar, and Nala committing suicide? I think not. And let's not forget what happened to Timone and Pumba- er, excuse me, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern....

No, but Disney did show something in The Lion King that most people don't notice... There were two male lions in the pack, before the cubs came along. And then there was Simba, son of Mufasa... And Nala, who's sire is never mentioned. But with Scar and Mufasa being the only males, Nala is either Simba's half-sister, or his cousin. Either way, we have a Disney movie with incest!

On a more serious note, as it's been pointed out, Disney may have given us Pocahontas, but they also gave us The Avengers. Based on that, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  06:36:52  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Cheers

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  16:00:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

No, but Disney did show something in The Lion King that most people don't notice... There were two male lions in the pack, before the cubs came along. And then there was Simba, son of Mufasa... And Nala, who's sire is never mentioned. But with Scar and Mufasa being the only males, Nala is either Simba's half-sister, or his cousin. Either way, we have a Disney movie with incest!
Which is precisely why they will never show Luke having the hots for his sister.

I would like them to eventually explain why Darth Vader did not recognize a droid he himself built, or that the same droid did not recognize its creator, or that he couldn't tell Leia was his daughter, even though he could sense Luke through the depths of space, or that Chewbacca didn't know anything in the later (actually first) three movies about what was going on, etc, etc. Ahhhh, how I miss the pure logic of Star Trek...

Back on-topic: The Netherese are all (mostly) dead. That was canon. The Imaskari are all (mostly) dead... that too was canon. I could go on and on - canon in D&D is like canon in comics - it exists so long as the current team is still in-charge. The whole concept of canon falls part when you consider that they can hire some 21 year old fresh out of college tomorrow, and he can making sweeping changes willy-nilly to the setting and blame it on something like the Spellplague.

The simple truth is there really isn't any canon, because the 'facts' of the setting are an ever-changing, amorphous blob. If events in canon novel series can be explained-away as in-story misconceptions (in order to smooth-over continuity errors), then nothing at all is set in stone. 4e proved that they can over-write whatever the hell they want, at any time, canon-be-damned.

Take this site for instance - its main focus used to be (when I first started coming here) all about the canon of the setting. The grognardise was so thick in here you could cut it with a knife (and I recall butting heads with some folks back then). Now this site has gone over to mostly (as in, more then 50%) 'game theory' - we discuss possibilities a lot more then the actual bits of canon lore (although we still try to follow that lore, we just bend and twist it any which way now).

What this tells me that the staunch respect folks once had for the canon has (some-what) broken-down, and alternate possibilities for everything are perfectly acceptable. To me, this is a good thing - people were never supposed to feel hampered by the canon - its there only when you need it. I think that might be the one good thing the 4e designers may have achieved - they've set FR free in a way it never was before.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Dec 2012 16:02:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000