Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Resurrection (WotSQ #6) author
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  22:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just read this on the WotC site (tucked away where few will know again due to bad design from WotC )

"Wizards of the Coast is pleased to announce that Paul S. Kemp will author Resurrection, the sixth and final book in the New York Times best-selling R.A. Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen series. Mel Odom, previously schedule to write Resurrection, has withdrawn from the project."

Heres the link - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/kempresurrection

Edited by - Lord Rad on 20 Jan 2004 22:33:21

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  23:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thats a relief! Not to say that I don't like Mel Odom or anything(I have actually read a few of his novels...), but I just prefer Paul S. Kemp's writing style, as represented in the Erevis Cale novels...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 20 Jan 2004 23:11:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  04:51:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually a little relieved to hear this news. I am not a big fan of Mel Odom...I have never really enjoyed reading any of his novels, from across many different genres. And I always seem to come away from one of his books finding that the work is wanting in some areas, particularly atmosphere and setting.

I can't talk about the one novel from this author that I have the biggest problem with, mainly because it doesn't take place in the FR universe...so I'll just leave it at that.

Special note: Please do not allow this above 'criticism' to colour your own views on this author. These are my personal views only, and should not deter others from reading his works...You may find that you enjoy his way of telling stories. I am merely stating that his way of writing, doesn't match my own particular tastes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm actually a little relieved to hear this news. I am not a big fan of Mel Odom...I have never really enjoyed reading any of his novels, from across many different genres. And I always seem to come away from one of his books finding that the work is wanting in some areas, particularly atmosphere and setting.

I can't talk about the one novel from this author that I have the biggest problem with, mainly because it doesn't take place in the FR universe...so I'll just leave it at that.

Special note: Please do not allow this above 'criticism' to colour your own views on this author. These are my personal views only, and should not deter others from reading his works...You may find that you enjoy his way of telling stories. I am merely stating that his way of writing, doesn't match my own particular tastes.

Whats with the special note on the bottom, Sage? Do you believe that too many people are taking your advice???

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:43:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.... I simply wanted to point out that my views on this author are my own thoughts only, and not the general opinion of the great and wise people here at Candlekeep. I respect that others may find Mel Odom's work very interesting, and may well enjoy his writing, and if that's the case...well then I say GREAT... .

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I for one do not. As is noted BEFORE you posted, just to show the folk of Candlekeep that I can think for myself before the Wise and Allknowing Sage voices his opinion.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:49:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OUCH!...that hurt...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It shouldn't have...... I mean I didn't mean for it to.... I just meant that I can make up my mind on my own once in a while.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:59:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh...I know what you meant, I was simply being sarcastic.... I really think we need a Sarcasm emoticon here Alaundo. It would make situations like this much easier...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  06:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it truly would. Lets petition Alaundo about it!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  09:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great news about the change of author..... Paul Kemps novels to date are fantastic, one of my favorite FR authors by far and im now much more relaxed and confident that such a great novel series will be wrapped up by such a fitting author

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  09:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Yes, it truly would. Lets petition Alaundo about it!

Well met

Ill bear it in mind Now, about this new author of the Realms....

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  13:28:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's some interesting news and thank you for the link Rad. Having enjoyed Mr. Kemp's previous work, I'll take this as a positive turn of events. He certainly is going to be busy with the Cale trilogy, this series ending novel, and of course, his day job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000