Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Conections between Dragonlance gods and Toril/FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Amon The Pole
Acolyte

Poland
6 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  20:28:42  Show Profile Send Amon The Pole a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all

Is it any connection between dragonlance gods and faerun?

Is some of them orginaly move from FR

Are two settings has some gods in common?

I heard that Bane recently become god in other world but I do not remember it was dragonlance or greyhawk

greetings

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  20:45:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane became a god in the theoretical Core World, not DL, or EB or GH for that matter (AFAIK).

At one time people said Tiamet and Takhisis were one and the same, but then they became separate... I don't think we were ever given an in-game explanation for that. I personally believe Takhisis was a local aspect of Tiamet (not the whole god), and thats why its death or whatever had no effect on its aspects on other worlds.

So officially, as of 3e, NO - all worlds have their own gods, even if they have the same names.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2012 20:46:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  04:21:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And even in 2E, there were no connections between the gods of Toril and Krynn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  09:49:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are indications, especially in 2e Tales of the Lance, that Takhisis would be an aspect of Tiamat, and Paladine would be somehow related to Bahamut. Dragonlance's fallen kingdom of Istar names Takhisis "Tii'Mhut" and Paladine "Bah'Mut". However, this boxed set tried to compile a lot of previous published information, and a lot of it became confusing and conflicting, maybe because there was some pressure and it was released without proper revisions... Well, the point is that apparently many fans of Dragonlance reject what is written in this box.

More important than that, the creators of Dragonlance and main writers of the classic books, Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis, deny this link between the archetypical dragons/lesser draconic deities (at least in 1e and 2e) and the greater Dragonlance gods. But we cannot ignore that there was at least some inspiration involved, for the manifestations of the DL gods and the names and titles they received from mortals.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  15:49:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paladine and Takhisis are based on Bahamut and Tiamat. There are those who say they are the same, others who do not. There are plenty of arguments to support either side.

Does it matter if there is an established connection?

Not really. After all, they'll fill one role in DRAGONLANCE, and other roles in other worlds. Besides, 3e set things up to where each world has its own cosmology anyway.

Having said that, I'll further note that Tracy Hickman has always said that Takhisis was separate from Tiamat. Whereas Jeff Grubb prefers to think otherwise.

Ultimately, I'd say it's up to the DM as to whether the connection exists, or not.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  17:00:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Paladine and Takhisis are based on Bahamut and Tiamat. There are those who say they are the same, others who do not. There are plenty of arguments to support either side.

Not really. After all, they'll fill one role in DRAGONLANCE, and other roles in other worlds. Besides, 3e set things up to where each world has its own cosmology anyway.

Having said that, I'll further note that Tracy Hickman has always said that Takhisis was separate from Tiamat. Whereas Jeff Grubb prefers to think otherwise.

Ultimately, I'd say it's up to the DM as to whether the connection exists, or not.

I can see Jeff Grubb's viewpoint, but when it comes to Krynn, I'm going with Weis & Hickman long before anyone else.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  17:42:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much of Takhisis's art is featured with the prime chromatic dragons framing her. So for me, there is at least a little bit of correlation whether intended by Hickman and Weiss or not. Personally, I like the connection.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  18:39:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with the Sage when he says it doesn't matter, and with Wooly when he puts Weis & Hickman's opinion above others. And after some time I understood that this separation would be good, for if Takhisis were Tiamat, she would be aware, know and worry about other worlds; on the other hand, while being a separate, exclusively Krynnish deity she can focus on her own world, and the events linked to Tiamat in other worlds would not affect Dragonlance's history.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  02:05:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I can see Jeff Grubb's viewpoint, but when it comes to Krynn, I'm going with Weis & Hickman long before anyone else.

Aye. Jeff's viewpoint works if you're basing your game anywhere other than Krynn, primarily.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  02:39:47  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or if you're a fan of world-hopping adventure campaigns.... I've a hard time beliving that all those elves, dwarves, and gnomes on Krynn have NOTHING to do with the ones elsewhere. And we already have canon lore stating that some Krynnish gnomes (and at least one kender, IIRC) have traveled to Faerun.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  04:20:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Or if you're a fan of world-hopping adventure campaigns.... I've a hard time beliving that all those elves, dwarves, and gnomes on Krynn have NOTHING to do with the ones elsewhere.
Well, the various -nesti elven races of Krynn have very different origins when compared to the elves of Toril. As do the dwarves. But given the multitude of portals between alternate Prime Material Planes [especially evident in 2e], I'm sure the Silvanesti elves, for example, would be familiar with the sun elves of Toril.
quote:
And we already have canon lore stating that some Krynnish gnomes (and at least one kender, IIRC) have traveled to Faerun.

We can use the events of Into the Void as a basis. I don't think it was ever clearly defined what happened to the remaining Tinker Gnomes that were part of the "Probe's" crew. Some died, but a few may have been unaccounted for. So it's a possibility that at least some were left in Rauthaven. Perhaps they discovered a lost shrine to Gond somewhere in the city, or maybe a temple once dedicated to a Nimbral-derivative Wonderbringer interpretation based on the gnomish concept of Gond as Nebelun.

And I doubt Emilo Haversack, the kender from Tymora's Luck, has been the only member of that race to visit the Realms. Kender and their wanderlust, after all...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  04:44:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalamar has sat with Elminster many times...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  22:03:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha! I had forgotten his inclusion in the "Wizards Three" articles. As for the elves, let's not forget the Imperial Elven Navy from Spelljammer, which no doubt has visited Krynn as well as Faerun. Or at the very least, they probably keep tabs on their Krynnish cousins. And Sage, you are quite right, of course. Kender have a way of finding their way to many new and out-of-the-way places. One even made it into my own HB world.... With Uncle Trapsringer's Spoon, no less!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  02:22:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the elves, let's not forget the Imperial Elven Navy from Spelljammer, which no doubt has visited Krynn as well as Faerun.
Thinking back, I recall the Krynnspace supplement noting the spacefarers of the Crimson Caravan company are veteran traders regularly plying goods between Krynnspace, Greyspace, and Realmspace.

And I suspect more than a few native stowaways have jumped on-board and skipped from one Crystal Sphere to another.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  04:35:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As for the elves, let's not forget the Imperial Elven Navy from Spelljammer, which no doubt has visited Krynn as well as Faerun.
Thinking back, I recall the Krynnspace supplement noting the spacefarers of the Crimson Caravan company are veteran traders regularly plying goods between Krynnspace, Greyspace, and Realmspace.

And I suspect more than a few native stowaways have jumped on-board and skipped from one Crystal Sphere to another.

As I recall, there was a character in the Cloakmaster Cycle named Kendel Leafbower. Pretty sure he showed up in the first book, while still in Krynnspace, but that he was a native of Evermeet.

One of my on-again, off-again projects (Currently so much off-again it might be on Sage's To-Do list) involves an elven NPC who is of mixed moon elf/Qualinesti descent.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  05:30:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I recall, there was a character in the Cloakmaster Cycle named Kendel Leafbower. Pretty sure he showed up in the first book, while still in Krynnspace, but that he was a native of Evermeet.
Wait. Maybe I'm misremembering... but wasn't Kendal Leafbower a character from Elaine Cunningham's Silver Shadows?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  05:33:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ias under some strange belief that if you traveled to krynn from anywhere that you couldnt travel back or something......not sure why

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  11:16:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wait. Maybe I'm misremembering... but wasn't Kendal Leafbower a character from Elaine Cunningham's Silver Shadows?

Hmmm, think you're right. The elf I was thinking of was named something Leafbower, though, I'm sure of it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  14:10:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leafblower?

Was he related in any way to the 'Hedgetrimmer' family?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  14:47:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmmm, think you're right. The elf I was thinking of was named something Leafbower, though, I'm sure of it.

You might be thinking of Vallus Leafbower, from Into the Void. He was an operative of the IEN.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  16:37:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Ias under some strange belief that if you traveled to krynn from anywhere that you couldnt travel back or something......not sure why

It isn't strange at all. I think this was suggested after Krynn went missing. I'll dig around my old HD. I kept notes from the old Dragonlance forums.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  18:11:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd agree with Margaret and Tracy on just about everything Krynnish - - but NOT the gods. The gods of Dragonlance were Jeff Grubb's own gods, taken from his pre-existing D&D campaign. So on the Takhisis versus Tiamat thing, I'd go with Jeff's opinion.
(Most folks forget that Dragonlance was a created-in-house collaboration, with Margaret and Tracy emerging in the drivers' seats after their novels took off in popularity.)
Yes, I'm older than dirt.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  21:18:48  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, it doesn't really matter what the "official" stance is. Takhisis is too similar to Tiamat to not to be created specifically based upon the Tiamat mythos.

or are you guys believing that Takhisis and Tiamat are different ... are you saying that there are two separate evil female dragon deities with five heads that are Red, Blue, Green, Black, and White and each have an aspect of a dark haired beautiful female human and that the similarities are mere coincidence?

i mean i know that 3e says every world is separate but that doesnt make sense

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  22:04:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

yes, it doesn't really matter what the "official" stance is. Takhisis is too similar to Tiamat to not to be created specifically based upon the Tiamat mythos.

or are you guys believing that Takhisis and Tiamat are different ... are you saying that there are two separate evil female dragon deities with five heads that are Red, Blue, Green, Black, and White and each have an aspect of a dark haired beautiful female human and that the similarities are mere coincidence?

i mean i know that 3e says every world is separate but that doesnt make sense

There doesn't have to be a connection for there to be that similarity, nor a coincidence. It could be that one deity came first, learned about the shape the other one took, and said, "Hey, that's pretty nifty! I'll do the same!"

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  04:34:27  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or that deity could have been an avatar stranded on another world, who took or was given a different name and eventually came to believe in the alternate identity..... It could go both ways. Pick the one you like and use it, I say.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  01:41:19  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that the planets and stars in Dragonlance Krynnverse are smaller than the ones in Forgotten Realms?
There was this one instance in Dragonlance where Raistlin grew too powerful to become a starbuster.

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  04:46:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by creyzi4zb12

Is it possible that the planets and stars in Dragonlance Krynnverse are smaller than the ones in Forgotten Realms?
There was this one instance in Dragonlance where Raistlin grew too powerful to become a starbuster.

Most stars in arcane space are not actually stars as well know them. They are instead very large critters, or portals to the plane of Radiance, or something else.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  06:21:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Most stars in arcane space are not actually stars as well know them. They are instead very large critters, or portals to the plane of Radiance, or something else.

Pretty much. The stars in both Krynnspace and Realmspace are portals to the Plane of Radiance [or, rather, portals to a radiant region of the Elemental Chaos if we're talking the 4e cosmology]. The stars in Greyspace, on the other hand, are embedded jewels in the Crystal Sphere.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:35:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So now I have to wonder how many Gnomish Paddlewheelers from Krynn or Realmspace are smooshed against those enormous gems.

"Lets take the radiance shortcut!"

Like moths to a flame.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:39:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm torn on this whole issue of stars...

I both like and dislike Spelljammer...I like stars being as they are in our universe: a star or system/galaxy in the sky.

To me, engaging the spelljamming helm simply transitions the craft into a parallel plane.

It is the only way I could mesh my desire to both have the Universe as somewhat "normal" and still allow spelljamming alongside technology.

EDIT: forgot to mention some things!

I reconciled the issue of tech in the realms not working by there actually being a powerful artifact that existed within the star of the Forgotten Realms which detected and neutralized certain tech at the direction of Ao. I never went beyond that though in thinking on it.

Magic to me is simply a type of Technology that uses existing physics of the universe in a different way. Magic is still technology in that sense...but a superior tech to that which we currently have on our own Earth.

As for Takhisis/Tiamat and Paladine/Bahamut...well, I still consider them as the same entity...that even on Krynn, Takhisis/Tiamat is only the manifestation of a greater being akin to that which is described in the Sumerian creation mythos. In the Forgotten Realms, Tiamat is both the same as and yet different from Takhisis because of Ao's dictates alone.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 08 Jan 2013 15:48:12
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:56:24  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wait, what?
Is this really true?
What kind of creature would that be? Some kind of huge Fire Elemental?
I mean, it must be really huge if you can actually see it so big from such a distance.

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000