Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Original Drafts Of Books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  10:47:24  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The past couple days I've been sitting here reading through posts and I just linked my way to one of the older THO posts about the book Spellfire.

I read this book when I was about 8 or 9 and have been a fan of Ed Greenwood and the Forgotten Realms ever since.

The idea that one third of the original manuscript was left on the cutting room floor and that this is the state of many Realms publications flabbergasts me, and leaves me with one very strong response: DESIRE.

I know this is an incredibly audacious thing to ask, but are those lost nuggets out there somewhere? Are they contractually locked away or have people seen them? Are there any writers that would let us see the parts of their work that were never published?

I'm not sure where to post this or if its even appropriate, but in my head it would be like reading all the appendices of Tolkien's works, all his now published notes that add so many layers to the stories... Have others asked before?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  14:24:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They would be contractually locked away, I'm sure.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  14:24:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the norm for any published book. The product we end up holding in our hands is usually much different from the first finished draft that the author writes.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  16:09:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different is one thing, but selectively cutting out 33 percent is a bit much.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  16:12:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of that 33% went back into the book when the trade paperback was released some years later. Of course, they cut other original stuff out to put that material in the second time around!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  16:53:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As easy as it may be to vilify editors (for obvious reasons!), the end result is often a better book. Sometimes less is more.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  17:52:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I bought the re-released hardcover version of Spellfire a couple of years back, it had a forward by Ed Greenwood explaining much of what went on when the book was written, and how much was cut... which unfortunately left the original book a bit of disjointed mess (plotwise). There was so much going on the it was hard to notice (except for things like the Maluagrym, which were never explained) and folks enjoyed the book all the same.

To paraphrase him, the book was supposed to be like a "whirlwind Tour" of the people and places in the Realms (which is why we had cameos by people like Khelben). It was an introduction to the Realms via a novel. Ed, being who he is and having so much material to work with wrote a book FAR larger then they wanted, and it got hacked to pieces.

The hardcover re-release I bought was a 'fixed' version, but still by no means as lengthy as Ed would have still wished it. He was able to go back and tidy-up all the odd loose ends the poor editing left behind the first time. Thus, I was lucky enough to read the fixed version and never read the original, and I would recommend that copy for anyone wanting to re-read this book.

The sequels happened because Ed drops more 'Red Slippers'* then anyone I know, and every tale he spins leads to a hundred new stories (most of which we never get to see).

*A fantastic term coined by Dennis L. McKiernan for his book by the same name. It pertains to something akin to a 'Red Herring', except that it is a real (in-setting) factoid, and embellishes the setting by referencing people and events that are never detailed in other works. He explains that the actual term comes from old Sherlock Holmes novels, wherein Holmes would refer to old cases (never detailed) like "The peculiar case of the Red Slipper". It adds depth to a world without doing a lot of 'heavy lifting', and is a wonderful literary device for fiction authors. Lovecraft used this constantly (to give just one example).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000