Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 1e or 2e FRCS for playing in 1358?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  20:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So the 1e FRCS goes up until 1357, and the 2e box starts at 1358. The obvious answer would be to use the 2e box but...what about using the 1e box with the forgotten realms adventures book?

I ask only because I like the look and simplicity of the 1e box and the 2e one just seems to have a lot of stuff that I don't need or wont use. Thoughts?

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  22:22:59  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you maybe explain further. 1st to 2ed is similar in differences to 3.0 and 3.5. I use all my realms material with my game set in 1360, and that even includes some 3rd ed stuff.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  22:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. There doesn't seem to be a question in there. And you're a bit off; the 2e Realms box set (the one with the Blue Book), sets the year at 1368.

But really, all of the 2e and 1e lore is completely compatible. It's only when you start getting to 3e that they start changing things dramatically, mechanics and NPC's-wise. So just use the lore from both, and the mechanics of whichever edition you're playing.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  00:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The question is which boxed set would be better to use a for a game set in 1358? 1358 is farther along than the 1e set covers (hardly), but the FR Adventures book gives the changes that occur right after the 1e boxed set.

Or the 2e boxed set could be used but covers a LOT of stuff quite awhile after 1358.

1358 is second edition but im thinking the first edition box may be an easier tool to use. Crunch isn't an issue.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  03:10:14  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why you would have to pick one or the other.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  04:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I value simplicity and get overwhelmed with too much information in my games. I don't know as much about the lore/maps/event changes between the two to know which would be more efficient to use in my time period and for the first time. I might just ask this question elsewhere :p
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  06:13:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see the problem, but I would say that the 1st ed. has a better feel, whilst the 2nd. ed. set is better for reference as it is arranged by theme/region, not alphabetically. Which one would fit you the best is an open guess.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Vaeldroth
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  18:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Vaeldroth's Homepage Send Vaeldroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say use both, but I agree with Jorkens in general in that 1e stuff tends to be fully detailed but poorly organized, whereas 2e is very succinct and organized, but has a tendency to leave out details, even to a fault. This is pretty much true across all 2e products, as they did their best to balance function and form.

I'm bothered by badly organized information, so 2e really appeals to me.

Remember though, there is so much Realms lore that you will get overwhelmed anyway if you try to assimilate it all.

My approach has been to just pick a couple of sources, and make the rest up as I go along. Maybe that works for you?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  18:56:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use the 1e box, and then when you need more detail, refer to later (more detailed products). I just don't see the problem at all.

Or you could just use the 1e box and fill-in your own details, which is just as good, if not better, but a lot more work IMHO. I personally prefer much of the backdrop done for me, and then I can insert my own scenarios and NPCs into that. I don't want to have to name ever shop and barkeep.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000