Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 "Ancient History" Campaign Idea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  23:56:26  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's been a while since I've been around on these forums. After reading the 4th Edition FR book, I felt a lot of my pleasure for the setting leave for a while. I just found out about the new "era neutral" book coming out, and it got me thinking about the Realms again. Also, getting ready to move to our first home that we'll own and stacking all my RPG books up and seeing how much of an investment I had made in the Realms has helped.

I've been running Pathfinder, and those are the rules I'm planning on using.

I'm strongly leaning to running a setting during the Silver or Golden Age of Netheril. I have some questions for the great and learned ones here, and hope to partake of your wisdom.

First, I have the Grand History of the Realms and lost empires book (from 3.5). I'm wondering if there are some other references or novels that I could look into purchasing/downloading that might help me get the feel of that era of time?

Second, has anyone had any problems running the Forgotten Realms with Pathfinder?

Third, has anyone else tried to run one of these "historical" games? I like the idea of running something in the Forgotten Realms without the Time of Troubles or other possible events that I and/or my players may or may not agree with. :-) I just wonder if anyone else has any suggestions or ideas that could help me as I prep to delve back into the Realms again.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."

Edited by - ShepherdGunn on 27 Oct 2012 00:00:49

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  00:10:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2nd: Pathfinder works just as well as 3.x in the Forgotten Realms.

3rd: I have run a quasi-historical game nearly for all my games. I usually start them before the Time of Troubles. I also ran one where my adventurers were constantly going back to Netheril from roughly 1356-57 DR. For every year they lived in Netheril, only a month passed in their "Home Time" and so others seemed very troubled by their meteoric rise to heights of power they hadn't seen in the adventurers before.

The ONLY trouble I ran into using rules after 3.x were that Netheril has spells far more powerful than 9th level. It wasn't too much of a factor, but I never gave an actual conversion to the rules for those spells of 10th and higher level.

For your 1st question: both of those books are good starts...As long as you have the Netheril and Cormanthyr books I think you will be good to go!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  00:21:32  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

For your 1st question: both of those books are good starts...As long as you have the Netheril and Cormanthyr books I think you will be good to go!

Any ideas on where I may be able to find copies of the Netheril and Cormanthyr books? I tried to go to the links for the old pdf downloads, but apparently they no longer exist.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  01:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick Google search for "<book title> pdf" usually brought them to me. They're backed up on a CD now, so I haven't done it in awhile.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  02:28:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would discourage pirated material. If you find a free PDF online, it most likely is not legal to own.

You can find used copies on Amazon or other online markets (like E-bay) or some such.

Having said that, your options are your own.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  02:47:24  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking I'm going to see if I can find a "hardcopy" of the books. There's nothing that really compares to having the books in hand.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  03:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just FYI, I think both of them are boxed sets. Netheril for certain; I own that one. Cormanthyr might be a book, or maybe it's a boxed set.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  03:37:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Just FYI, I think both of them are boxed sets. Netheril for certain; I own that one. Cormanthyr might be a book, or maybe it's a boxed set.

Cormanthyr was just a 160-page sourcebook, with the accompanying poster map.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  11:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netheril doesn't look much like a boxed set from my pdf copy I grabbed before the download page disappeared.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  12:00:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a good page for looking up info on older stuff: TSR Archive

From that page:

Cormanthyr

Netheril

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Nov 2012 12:00:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000