Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  09:57:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

My Turtles will always be the classic animated series and the original Eastman and Laird comics.

I was a fan of the original cartoon and the movies - though even as a kid the second movie got me mad with super shredder. I also was a HUGE TMT video game kid. I played through them all repeatedly. My favorite was the nintendo one with the truck and level bosses.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  10:18:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Some things we simply can't help but let go of or move on from. I was a fan (though not avid) of TMNT when I was a kid. But now, it just doesn't hold that much appeal for me. Just looking at the green plump faces of the turtles makes me wince.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  12:58:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Watched episode 173 of Fairy Tail. I pity Lyon and Yuka. Is there a more horrible fate than to be literally spun by their crone-ish master?

And finally, the four Dragon Slayers began their “dance.” I just hope Mr. Emo Guy stops being . . . well, emo. Anyway, I can’t wait for the next episode.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  13:07:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Great news to all fans of Hunter X Hunter:

Hunter x Hunter 2011 Series Continues to Chimera Ant Arc—Two years ago, when I heard they would reboot the series with the intention of continuing it right down to where the manga ends, I feared they would again find some excuse to cut it after the Greed Island arc. And thank the Power-That-Be that they're indeed serious in doing the continuation.

This is indeed great news, I ll have to reread the manga though to refresh my memory as its been quite a while.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  19:10:36  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some things we simply can't help but let go of or move on from. I was a fan (though not avid) of TMNT when I was a kid. But now, it just doesn't hold that much appeal for me. Just looking at the green plump faces of the turtles makes me wince.

I take it you never saw the 4Kids(FoxBox) TMNT series? They were much leaner, less "goofy" looking (More in line with the E&L comics. No chubby heads on THOSE guys!), and the series was darker and more mature BY FAR. As in, they actually had several characters severely wounded or even die. (Although the "deaths" of Shredder and Baxter sort of became a running gag, IMO- I actually lost count of how many times they were both supposedly "killed"....)

The new Nick one is more of a kiddie thing, but it does still have some of the darker elements from that series. The original one was, admittedly very corny at times- but since it was based on the Archie versions, that's not really surprising. I STILL have a special place for that cartoon, AND the three movies. Just because your childhood loves seem a little dated and silly later in life, doesn't mean you ever really leave them behind!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  19:36:54  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hunter x Hunter 2011 Series Continues to Chimera Ant Arc—Two years ago, when I heard they would reboot the series with the intention of continuing it right down to where the manga ends, I feared they would again find some excuse to cut it after the Greed Island arc. And thank the Power-That-Be that they're indeed serious in doing the continuation.

Great news indeed!
Isn't the movie scheduled for release this year as well?

As far as watching other series are concerned. I'm thinking about Viking, hrmm maybe the 3rd season of Game of Thrones when it starts. If you've read the books and all the intrigue is removed, the series kind of feels underwhelming.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  20:02:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone been watching Arrow or Beauty and the Beast? I'm loving both so far. The Following is good, too. And then there is one of my recent faves, Psyche. Yes, I know it's been around for a while, but I try to catch it whenever it's on, simply because I love the premise, and the two leads are hysterical! The other one I have been trying to watch fairly often is Big Bang Theory, though my hubby and I usually argue over that one. I love it, he hates it- and for the same reason- Sheldon!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  14:09:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

quote:

Great news indeed!
Isn't the movie scheduled for release this year as well?
Last January, actually. Unfortunately, like most anime, it's big screen release is only limited to select countries (China, Hong Kong, and Korea, I believe), and the DVD wouldn't be released after six months or one year.

----------------------------------------------

I just watched episode 14 of Nikita. Poor Ari. But at least it wasn’t a painful “farewell.”

I wonder what Alex would do from here on. For once, Amanda was right about her. Inside Alex resides the “Udinov complex” (which takes no orders from anyone, but gives them).

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  15:42:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Anyone been watching Arrow or Beauty and the Beast? I'm loving both so far. The Following is good, too. And then there is one of my recent faves, Psyche. Yes, I know it's been around for a while, but I try to catch it whenever it's on, simply because I love the premise, and the two leads are hysterical! The other one I have been trying to watch fairly often is Big Bang Theory, though my hubby and I usually argue over that one. I love it, he hates it- and for the same reason- Sheldon!

The Arrow is my favorite show right now(and my favorite TV version of any comic) Last night was another very good episiode.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  21:22:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missed that one, but I watched B&tB last night. An interesting episode- Vincent decided to fake his death to try to get the NYPD off his trail after a "copycat" killed some guy in Central Park and they started getting too close. Kat helped, of course, but then a bunch of the Mirfield guys almost botched the whole thing by raiding his hide-out just as the pair were about to burn it down with a body inside(supposedly him). The Mirfield ended up doing the job for them. And there was a shocker of a cliffhanger when Kat's partner Tess shot him as he was making his way through the escape tunnel. Oops! And then Kat shows up right after, and tries to help him with her partner right there! Big plot snarl there. Either they're going to have to get her in on things, or she's going to try to turn them both in. Either way, it's going to get more complicated. I'm loving this series.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  02:33:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this is tv related.... DC is releasing this summer , Batman '66, a new comic and merchbased on the 60's TV show....looks fun too me!

http://batman-news.com/2013/03/22/1966-batman-tv-comic-book-series-coming-this-summer/

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:11:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

this is tv related.... DC is releasing this summer , Batman '66, a new comic and merchbased on the 60's TV show....looks fun too me!

http://batman-news.com/2013/03/22/1966-batman-tv-comic-book-series-coming-this-summer/

I saw this earlier today. Awesome news! I hope it's as wacky as the television series. [And it helps, too, that I love Jeff Parker's writing, so... ].

I just hope there'll be a print edition of this digital comic book coming from DC, because I don't think I'll be able to purchase another new digital series right now. The SagePad is kind of overloaded with enough purchased-but-unread comic books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  09:38:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Episode 174 of Fairy Tail is quite explosive, literally. Natsu certainly improved over the years. Before, he'd just attack and attack recklessly. Now, he learned to “study” his opponents moves. This is also somewhat a new way of showing his strength. In the past, the only way he could tap on his power reserves was when he's angry, really, really angry—which was understandable, given the nature of his element: fire. But the recent two episodes prove that he could still tap on his fire reserves even when he's relatively calm (and even without eating fire).

As always, I can't wait for the next episode.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  03:22:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I saw this earlier today. Awesome news! I hope it's as wacky as the television series. [And it helps, too, that I love Jeff Parker's writing, so... ].

I just hope there'll be a print edition of this digital comic book coming from DC, because I don't think I'll be able to purchase another new digital series right now. The SagePad is kind of overloaded with enough purchased-but-unread comic books.

i thought i read it was digital first with a print to come

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  19:08:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Legend of Korra: Book 2, Spirits—I’m so looking forward to this. And I hope that should they adapt the series into a film, they’d do it right this time.

I’m also excited that they would be doing some flashbacks to Ang and Company’s exploits during the founding of Republic City.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  19:51:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked out the first episode of Legend of the Seeker which is based off of Goodkind's Sword of Truth books. I didn't care for it at all, which is a shame because that series COULD have translated into TV nicely.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  20:10:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just watched episode 175 of Fairy Tail. An amazing “finale” indeed. Natsu certainly rocks!

It’s quite saddening though that we would have to wait for some months for the next episode to come out.

Who exactly is the mysterious figure who bears semblance to Zeref’s powers? I heard people say it’s Lucy from the “future.” Judging by Jellal’s reaction, it should be someone he knows very well.

------------------------------------

Episode 15 of Nikita (Season 3) is quite enjoyable. I like how the story progresses. Alex is so darn good playing the annoying bi––.

Edited by - Dennis on 31 Mar 2013 19:08:34
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  20:24:55  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I marathoned my Mighty Boosh collections. Any fans of the show? Its a great blend of comedy and surreal fantasy. The worldbuilding is subtley done and is well-integrated with the individual plots (don't let the tired Old Greg stuff affect your perception of the show; that's the weakest stuff the show has to offer).

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Edited by - Entromancer on 02 Apr 2013 20:28:07
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2013 :  05:37:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I watched episode 16 of Nikita. Finally, there’s a new organization (which the Nerd nicknamed “The Shop”) that has donned the villain’s robes. The doctor’s words about “not being able to revive the dead—yet” sounds ominous. And I wonder if they’re indeed trying such, with the so dead Percy as their test subject.

As for the mutiny, the mastermind is no surprise.

Lots of action with a solid story that raises so many (good, intriguing) questions. They’ve shot about 1/4 of the episode in China (that is, of course, if it’s not CGI). Anyway, why not try North Korea in the next episode? It will be very timely, if you know what I mean.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Watched episode 17. I’m starting to get tired of Amanda. Same conflict, same people, barely new ideas. It’s time they utilize “The Shop.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 18: We get to see the past of “little” Amanda, or should I say, Helen. It becomes apparent why she’s been acting quite strange ever since Niki (yes, we can call her by that sobriquet) showed her “mercy.” You’ll either sympathize with her or hate her more, or maybe a little bit of both.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2013 :  06:42:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just watched episode 76 of Hunter X Hunter 2011. This marks the new chapter in the series. It’s not only a reboot of the series, but also a continuation to the Greed Island story arc—the Chimera Ant. Here, we’re introduced to Kite, Ging’s apprentice. The story’s a bit slow, focusing more on Kite’s childhood with Ging. But in bits and pieces, the chimera ants are also introduced, including the queen at the end.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  21:28:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else watching Defiance on Syfy? It has moments it is really good....and some where it's not. But if it can stick around a while, I could seeing it get better and better

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  00:44:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, anyone check out Da Vinci's Demons?

Not caring much for the conspiracy play, but the acting is enjoyable.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  02:39:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, but I've heard of it. It did sound pretty interesting. I'm still deep in Beauty and the Beast, and loving the new angle with Tess being in the loop now. It was about time Cat came clean to her partner about the "vigilante killer" (aka Vincent)and her role in everything. Sucked what happened to Evan, though. But at least he went out a hero....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  09:29:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just watched episode 77 of Hunter X Hunter. It is a little bit disturbing . . . Two poor little kids ended up as food to a voracious, carnivorous queen.

Kite’s crew are more like thinkers than fighters, and so far, they are proving to be so ordinary and boring.

I would like to see how the Hunter community would respond to the chimera ant threat.

---------------------------------------------------

Watched episode 20 of Nikita. This is season 2’s best episode to date.

Nikita’s line seems to reflect the episode’s theme: “If we can’t believe that people change, then everything we’re fighting for is meaningless.”

Edited by - Dennis on 04 May 2013 13:00:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  13:42:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find you can draw inspiration from the oddest places. Last night I was watching an episode of Ghost Adventurers, and they were in the Shanghai Tunnels of Portland Oregon. All the 'spirit crap' aside, the history of that place is awesome - the show was worth watching just for that. I can't wait to apply some of that to one of my game cities.

Don't bother WIKI-ing it; watch that episode instead - the WIKI seems to have been written (edited) by the Portland Chamber of Commerce. Many of the 'seedier' elements in Portland were in on the act of 'Shang-Haiing' folks, and the bars included trap-doors to drop people down through (after they were properly liquered-up and steered to the spot by 'friendly' prostitutes). It practically screams 'Westgate' to me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 May 2013 13:45:32
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  13:51:08  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went back and watched the last season of The Mentalist, to get caught up. It's been a hum-dinger! TM is a lot like The X-Files in that there are a lot of filler "monster-of-the-week"-style episodes, but it's at its best when it provides insights into the main, central mystery. In this case, that is the question of the identity of the serial killer mastermind "Red John", aka "Roy". And hero Patrick Jane believes he is on the verge of finally finding out exactly who that is . . .

I'm also enjoying the TV reboot of Hannibal, about everyone's favorite cannibal. It explores Hannibal's early days as a consultant with the FBI's psychologist squad, and the codependent relationship he has with a certain special agent with an uncanny knack for getting inside serial killer's minds. The subtle inside-jokes with the audience and raised eyebrows from Hannibal as other characters fail to realize how close they are to the truth are pure joy!

And I started re-watching Star Trek: Deep Space 9 from the beginning, again. I didn't watch it very faithfully during its original TV run, but I mostly enjoyed what I did see. When Voyager came out, I was lukewarm about it, at best. I couldn't quite put my finger on it to determine what was so lackluster, back then. But I can now: DS9 not only had wonderful characters and world-building, but it was more serious and mature, right from the start. And it's cast was more diverse, too. I love this show, even before the first whiff of the Dominion War to come!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  15:01:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Episode 78 of Hunter X Hunter 2011 is repeating the problem of the original version: it expounds too much on important and trivial matters alike, sometimes more on the latter. I see where it is headed, but how I wish the director just skips the superficial explanations and just incorporates them into action. Every time Gon, Kilua, and Kite and his crew find something, that something gets a lengthy explanation, as though the viewers are a bunch of idiots with no ability to infer.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2013 :  15:49:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Episode 21 of Nikita is full of twists. I knew Michael’s artificial arm had a “hidden charge” when he received it from The Shop in one of the earlier episodes; I just didn’t expect that Amanda (again) had something to do with it. She gave Nikita a choice: assassinate the US president (in public) and get the antidote for the nanotoxin in Michael’s blood, or let the president live and lose Michael in return . . .

What’s more interesting is what Birkhoff found out using The Shop’s private satellite: the said organization is not just an American think tank—it’s a global think tank. Which means that we’ll likely see more “missions” around the globe in season 3.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  08:47:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just watched episode 79 of Hunter X Hunter. Finally, some of the chimera ants face the hunters. That ruthless, deceptively weak small pink bear is effectively annoying.

I wonder who would be eaten by the queen to become the king. Perhaps Kite himself. Or maybe that shadowy leader of NGL’s underground organization.

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  13:33:38  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory and it was hilarious as the guys play a D&D session with he girls.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000