Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  22:55:22  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good one Wooly- but the story can only go downhill from there!!! On the sixh day, he made MAN....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  03:24:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Bible show: is it a history of how the Bible was written and disseminated?

Or does it simply present the contents of the book as history? I got a problem with that.

It sounds like those dinosaur shows that take the latest speculative theories and cast them as fact.

It would be better if they did it like a proper historical program, showing the dissenting viewpoints and counter-evidence.

This sort of favorable, pro-religion dramatic programming would probably be better suited for a church channel, or even one of the major entertainment networks, than a channel billing itself as being all about the professional study and presentation of history.

There's this one blurb on the History Channel website:
quote:
About Ask HISTORY
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.

I mean, they wouldn't dare want that sort of treatment applied to this particular subject matter, right?

That's special treatment, and a less-than-thorough way of approaching the subject, from a professional, critical historian's perspective.

Oh, well.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  20:03:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Or does it simply present the contents of the book as history? I got a problem with that.

It sounds like those dinosaur shows that take the latest speculative theories and cast them as fact.

It would be better if they did it like a proper historical program, showing the dissenting viewpoints and counter-evidence.

This sort of favorable, pro-religion dramatic programming would probably be better suited for a church channel, or even one of the major entertainment networks, than a channel billing itself as being all about the professional study and presentation of history.

quote:
About Ask HISTORY
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.

I mean, they wouldn't dare want that sort of treatment applied to this particular subject matter, right?

That's special treatment, and a less-than-thorough way of approaching the subject, from a professional, critical historian's perspective.

Oh, well.

No matter the take they used making it , I think its cool as can be that this subject matter is drawing 1,800,000 more viewers that The Walking Dead.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Mar 2013 15:06:33
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  22:44:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

The bible and its stories are arguably the most important historical documents ever written. It records eons old oral histories and presents an account of events from long ago. Regardless of whether you subscribe to the interpretations and conclusions the writers present, I don't think it can be reasonably argued that the bible is not history - and itself A history.

Seems appropriate for a history channel show to me.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  22:46:59  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Good one Wooly- but the story can only go downhill from there!!! On the sixh day, he made MAN....

You better look out - after MAN he makes WOMAN, and that's the beginning of the end :D
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  22:58:24  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

The bible and its stories are arguably the most important historical documents ever written. It records eons old oral histories and presents an account of events from long ago. Regardless of whether you subscribe to the interpretations and conclusions the writers present, I don't think it can be reasonably argued that the bible is not history - and itself A history.

Then why only present it in this favorable light? Where's the cross-referencing with other documents? The archaeological digs? The admissions of contradictions within the document, and with other sources? That's what the History Channel does with other subjects. But it's not doing that, here.

Presenting this long of a pro-religion, dramatic, entertainment-based presentation of the Bible's stories is not history, and not appropriate History Channel programming. Perhaps it's historically-based entertainment, like so many made-for-TV movies which are claimed to be "Based on a True Story"™.

Or maybe it's just religious propaganda.

I liken it to the informercials aired in latenight time slots, hocking their wares to gullible consumers. This programming seems about as objective and "historical" as an old one of those.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  23:30:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds to me like you've got an axe to grind. Very un-historian-like of you. Your assertions that presenting the stories of the bible as told by the bible is "pro-religion" and "not history" are both baseless. Even if they are not facts, or even if they are demonstrably incorrect, does not make something not history. A map of the from 1AD might not be particularly accurate, but it is history.

I don't know about everyone else, but while I'm watching a story show, I do not want them to stop in the middle and say, 'Oh by the way, they found a pot fragment that seems to be from the time and place of this story.' That would just be bad television, and certainly would not be getting the best ratings on cable.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  00:21:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we could discuss other shows, as well?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  01:24:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Then why only present it in this favorable light? Where's the cross-referencing with other documents? The archaeological digs? The admissions of contradictions within the document, and with other sources? That's what the History Channel does with other subjects. But it's not doing that, here.

Presenting this long of a pro-religion, dramatic, entertainment-based presentation of the Bible's stories is not history, and not appropriate History Channel programming. Perhaps it's historically-based entertainment, like so many made-for-TV movies which are claimed to be "Based on a True Story"™.

Or maybe it's just religious propaganda.

I liken it to the informercials aired in latenight time slots, hocking their wares to gullible consumers. This programming seems about as objective and "historical" as an old one of those.

Most offensive post Ive read in a while.....id rather read about a show you like, and why you like it. And maybe hear about a show I have missed, thats what i use this thread for.....and i think the intent of it is as well. To point out shows of interest to realms fans. Not rip or tear down shows, feel free to start a scroll for that if you like.......but id still rather hear about shows your watching that might be of interest to me.

Every time I watch Pawn Stars, I think how funny "realms" version would be with Mirt as the pawn shop owner!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Mar 2013 01:25:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  01:58:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Maybe we could discuss other shows, as well?

Indeed. I understand that a television series about the Bible is bound to promote vigorous discussion, but this really isn't the site for that sort of debate, so let's me on... eh?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  02:42:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll drop it per the moderators' request. I will not respond further, publicly.

However, I will ask that all other board members refrain from speaking critically about any other television show whatsoever. Wouldn't want to offend TRW, since this is now apparently supposed to be a scroll only for praising TV series, and not criticizing them.

Edited by - BEAST on 09 Mar 2013 03:40:04
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  06:06:31  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody clued me into this older show on The History Channel called Clash of the Gods. It was a study of various famous myths from different world cultures, but with an eye toward rooting out the kernels of historical truth behind them.

I like that particular show. It had a good balance of sensitivity toward the people who believed in the philosophical or ideological reality of the stories, with a modern critical perspective at the factual elements. And it dealt with a great mixture of monsters and battles.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  11:05:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just watched the latest Fairy Tail episode. Ichiya's fight is, as expected, lousy and corny. I have an idea now about the identity of the man whom Jellal sensed possessing Zeref's powers.

I'm looking forward to Natsu and Gajel's fight against Sting and "Emo Guy."

Bad news though: The anime has already caught up to the manga. So after the March 30 episode, the anime will take a one-year hiatus so that the manga can progress.

---------------------------------------

Also watched episode 13 of Nikita. Classic action with a dose of paternal love. Loved it, and that retired German soldier was really good.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Mar 2013 11:07:17
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  05:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
About Ask HISTORY

Oh, well.

It presents the stories of the bible in dramatic fashion. Acted out and even somewhat expanded upon. There's no historical commentary, though there is narration to fill in the parts of the story not shown for time's sake.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  10:41:39  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Just watched the latest Fairy Tail episode. Ichiya's fight is, as expected, lousy and corny. I have an idea now about the identity of the man whom Jellal sensed possessing Zeref's powers.

Bad news though: The anime has already caught up to the manga. So after the March 30 episode, the anime will take a one-year hiatus so that the manga can progress.

I think of it as good news, after all as you said the show has gone a bit downhill lately, maybe a break is just what they need to sort things out. There's no shortage of good anime after all.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  20:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no intention of watching a show about the bible on a channel that presents itself as a history channel, but fortunately there's the ten-minute version. Maybe it's offensive to some scribes here (thou art warned).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUOg5F886xw

(In case you WERE offended here is a more religious view of D&D:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP )

Edited by - Caladan Brood on 12 Mar 2013 21:05:06
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  08:53:14  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did they present any other source for the stories other than the Bible? Even in Ancient Aliens they visit the sites and draw from multiple sources. The Flood would be easy.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  11:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a history documentary. It's a drama miniseries that just happens to be airing on the History Channel.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  13:39:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

I think of it as good news, after all as you said the show has gone a bit downhill lately, maybe a break is just what they need to sort things out. There's no shortage of good anime after all.
One month hiatus (two months at most) is bearable. But one year? That's sheer torture. Especially if you're an avid fan who diligently follows every single episode.

I wouldn't say the present arc has gone downhill. There were episodes that felt like fillers, with characters and battles that made me wince. Still, the bulk of the arc is rife with mystery and interesting twists which also connect with the events from the first few episodes of the series.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  14:12:50  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

One month hiatus (two months at most) is bearable. But one year? That's sheer torture. Especially if you're an avid fan who diligently follows every single episode.

I wouldn't say the present arc has gone downhill. There were episodes that felt like fillers, with characters and battles that made me wince. Still, the bulk of the arc is rife with mystery and interesting twists which also connect with the events from the first few episodes of the series.

I hear you, I am a big fan of Bleach and even that anime is on hiatus . But frankly this last season of Fairy Tail failed to interest me as much as the others so much so that that I didn't even bother watching all of it. Of course as a more avid fan you probably dont feel that way, personally I don't mind a bit of a break. We can always read the manga in case the wait becomes to unbearable.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  20:56:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrmm. Okay, here's my addition. Recently went through ALL THREE TMNT cartoon series, starting with the original, and then the 4Kids one (each season, in order.) The first two were because I LOVED the characters and the shows themselves (for different reasons), and because I recently dusted off an old tale I had written back in middle school back after the first TMNT movie came out. (Yes, I've been writing for THAT long...)

So then after finishing both of those, I started in on the new Nick one. And I have to say, it's- different. There are some things I like- love that they brought back the VA who did Raph's voice in the OT series to do Don's in this one, though it sounds weird hearing that voice from a different turtle...; and I like some of the one-liners and visual nods to the otehr series and movies- BUT.... I don't care much for the animation. Too blocky, childish, and "cute". My other main beef with it is Mikey. Can't stand what they did with him. Yes, he's the most "immature/wacky" one of the four, but they made him out to be a complete IDIOT in this one. Granted he was never the brightest of them in the other two toons, but THIS.... It's just sad, really.

So far, I've only gotten as far as episode 7, but I'm in a love/hate thing with this one. I LOVE most of the voices (Except Mikey- again, because he just sounds WRONG. Too much like an 8-yr-old kid, rather than a teenager.), and the action is fantastic, the banter is great, and I love the relationships between the characters. The Don/April "shipping" is an interesting (if slightly odd) twist. Not sure how I feel about her being their age- I grew up with April as an older friend and a REPORTER!!! The 4Kids series made her more "nerdy" and a lab assistant to Baxter (who apparently CANNOT die....) but still older, and tied to Casey. I liked both versions. But seeing her as a young girl just seems a little "off" somehow, especially with poor Donatello mooning over her.

As kids' shows go, it's cute, fun, and interesting. A gold mine for fun monsters, too, BTW!! As a legit part of a 25-yr + franchise, though.... I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Still fun for fans, though! (And for those wondering, my fave NT is/always has been/always WILL be MIKEY!!!)

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  21:23:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hrmm. Okay, here's my addition. Recently went through ALL THREE TMNT cartoon series, starting with the original, and then the 4Kids one (each season, in order.) The first two were because I LOVED the characters and the shows themselves (for different reasons), and because I recently dusted off an old tale I had written back in middle school back after the first TMNT movie came out. (Yes, I've been writing for THAT long...)

So then after finishing both of those, I started in on the new Nick one. And I have to say, it's- different. There are some things I like- love that they brought back the VA who did Raph's voice in the OT series to do Don's in this one, though it sounds weird hearing that voice from a different turtle...; and I like some of the one-liners and visual nods to the otehr series and movies- BUT.... I don't care much for the animation. Too blocky, childish, and "cute". My other main beef with it is Mikey. Can't stand what they did with him. Yes, he's the most "immature/wacky" one of the four, but they made him out to be a complete IDIOT in this one. Granted he was never the brightest of them in the other two toons, but THIS.... It's just sad, really.

So far, I've only gotten as far as episode 7, but I'm in a love/hate thing with this one. I LOVE most of the voices (Except Mikey- again, because he just sounds WRONG. Too much like an 8-yr-old kid, rather than a teenager.), and the action is fantastic, the banter is great, and I love the relationships between the characters. The Don/April "shipping" is an interesting (if slightly odd) twist. Not sure how I feel about her being their age- I grew up with April as an older friend and a REPORTER!!! The 4Kids series made her more "nerdy" and a lab assistant to Baxter (who apparently CANNOT die....) but still older, and tied to Casey. I liked both versions. But seeing her as a young girl just seems a little "off" somehow, especially with poor Donatello mooning over her.

As kids' shows go, it's cute, fun, and interesting. A gold mine for fun monsters, too, BTW!! As a legit part of a 25-yr + franchise, though.... I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Still fun for fans, though! (And for those wondering, my fave NT is/always has been/always WILL be MIKEY!!!)

I won't swear to it, because my comics are long since reduced to ash... But I'm fairly certain than in the original, Eastman and Laird itineration of the Turtles, that April was Baxter's assistance.

I am personally amused by the fact that there is an actress in adult films who likes April O'Neal so much she uses that (or a similar spelling) as her screen name, and has cosplayed as her. I've seen a couple of the cosplay pics (that was how I learned about her), but I'm pretty sure I've not seen her in her day job.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  21:30:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, she was, but I didn't learn that until recently, AFTER watching the two cartoon series, and delving into some fan-site discussions on the original comic tales. I grew up with the movies and the old 80's cartoons, so that was how I was introduced to the characters (including the Splinter IS Yoshi origin version). I liked that they went that route again for this new toon, as I always thought it made more sense that way for him. The new version of that origin is VERY simplified, though.

And I've seen pics of that "actress" too, LOL! It's pretty funny, actually. And probably great "fan-service" to the folks who are into that sort of thing in the TMNT....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  02:26:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Turtles will always be the classic animated series and the original Eastman and Laird comics.

Having said that, I've only heard GREAT things about the current TMNT book being published by IDW. Apparently it draws a lot of it's history from many of the different interpretations of the franchise -- melding them together in ways that make them more entertaining.

I suspect it's probably similar to the brilliant way in which IDW has breathed new life into the TRANSFORMERS comic book branch of that particular franchise.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  21:08:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, as usual, it seems we agree! That series has always had a special place for me. However, I will say that the 4Kids (2003) series seems to be truer to the source material- ie, the E&L comics. I've never had a chance to read any of the comics, but I would dearly love to start collecting those tales(to go with my enormous Marvel collection...). I've heard great things about IDW's version, too, and it sounds like exactly the sort of thing that I've been doing with my own tale. I started it WAAAYY back in 1990 (right after the first film came out) and at the time, all there was for inspiration was the film, the cartoons, and the two comic versions (Mirage and Archie), though I knew almost nothing of those last two. I drew mostly on the toons and movie, with only a few bits of minor trivia picked up here and there to fill in gaps or add to what was in those.

Since watching the 2003 one, I've actually started incorporating a lot of that into the story as well- which has actually required a complete rework/overhaul of the entire tale, so much so that it is very different now than it was originally- and much more like the '03 series in tone now. I even included Klunk, simply because I loved the idea of my fave NT having a pet. It just seems to fit so well into his personality. I've also given nods to the various incarnations through banter(including some direct quotes that fans might recognize, done for tongue-in-cheek humor), descriptive passages, some in-story narration by Mikey himself (Parts of the story are from his POV, as written in a journal he keeps, a la Drizzt; and NO, he's not "emo" in these- just telling HIS side of the story. Apparently, keeping journals was an idea Leo came up with for all of them....) and important locations or characters that have been used in various incarnations. (Anyone who's curious about this tale, click on the "My Stories" link in my siggy and go down to the thread titled "Love is Shell". It's a wild, fun tale, I assure you- complete with some of the campiness and humor of the classic toon, some great action, wonderful character development- at least IMHO- and even a little romance....)

Is it just me, or do you and I always end up talking comics? not that I mind, of course- it's a great subjuct for those of us into it. And I really wish the mainstream media would realize what a gold-mine comics are for tv and movies! Well, lately it seems they're starting to, but some really great stuff is being ignored in favor of ideas that are a bit over-done. I'd LOVE, for instance, to see a Red sonya series, or perhaps a Zorro one based on the dynamite comic version. then again, there WAS supposed to be a Red Sonya movie, but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere. And then there's Deadpool coming next January, or so I hear....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  01:09:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it just me, or do you and I always end up talking comics?
Indeed!
quote:
not that I mind, of course- it's a great subjuct for those of us into it. And I really wish the mainstream media would realize what a gold-mine comics are for tv and movies!
Again, indeed. There is an inherent problem with this approach, though, given that so many comic book writers are now trying to write their books in "episodic" formats [sometimes in the hope of making it easier for them to be picked up or adapted for television] -- going so far as to label their individually written issues of one particular book as "episodes." That just doesn't sit all that well with me. Though I'm an almost near-fanatical supporter of well adapted comic book television series or films [Smallville and The Avengers stand as some of the more prominent examples], I do think that writing comic books with an eye toward making them more easily adaptable for other media forms allows something of a loss of translation from the classic comic book style.
quote:
Well, lately it seems they're starting to, but some really great stuff is being ignored in favor of ideas that are a bit over-done. I'd LOVE, for instance, to see a Red sonya series, or perhaps a Zorro one based on the dynamite comic version. then again, there WAS supposed to be a Red Sonya movie, but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere. And then there's Deadpool coming next January, or so I hear....
Well, now that the Red Sonja book is soon to be relaunched with a prominent female writer [Gail Simone, of current Batgirl fan] at the helm, we could see Hollywood sitting up and taking more notice of the material.

As for Deadpool, I really did have high hopes for that possible solo-film. But as it stands right now, I think I'm more excited about the upcoming Deadpool video game.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  12:12:15  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As for Deadpool, I really did have high hopes for that possible solo-film. But as it stands right now, I think I'm more excited about the upcoming Deadpool video game.

You and me both. Though there haven't really been any outstanding comic book based games for a while I have high hopes for this one.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  19:53:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seconded! As soon as i saw that on the list of up-coming games, I got excited. He was one of my faves from Marvel Ultimate Allaince, so much so that he was a permanent part of my team roster (along with my first love, Spidey, of course).

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  00:33:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seconded! As soon as i saw that on the list of up-coming games, I got excited. He was one of my faves from Marvel Ultimate Allaince, so much so that he was a permanent part of my team roster (along with my first love, Spidey, of course).

I like the line-up of characters included as well.

Now I know many folk will decry the inclusion of Cable, but, for me at least, putting Deadpool and Cable together is as important a team-up as Spider-Man and the Human Torch.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  06:10:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Great news to all fans of Hunter X Hunter:

Hunter x Hunter 2011 Series Continues to Chimera Ant Arc—Two years ago, when I heard they would reboot the series with the intention of continuing it right down to where the manga ends, I feared they would again find some excuse to cut it after the Greed Island arc. And thank the Power-That-Be that they're indeed serious in doing the continuation.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000