Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  11:48:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just finished watching the first three episodes of Nikita, Season 3. They really must have a relatively big production budget---most of the scenes are shot abroad...

It's really different without Amanda and Percy around. Although the former's return is imminent.

--------------

Done with episodes 4-6. Nice to see Nerd finally have a semblance of a romantic life--and of course, to see Amanda back. What does she want with Owen? Why did she erase his memories? Hmm...

--------------

Episode 7 got bogged down by Amanda's mantra: "I don't want you to die, Niki. Not yet. I want to see you suffer by seeing those you love die before your very eyes." An episode or two of that is fine. But it's way beyond its usefulness now--almost tiresome. Not a nice way to utilize a promising character.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 07 Feb 2013 13:16:01
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  13:18:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The latest episode of Fairy Tail presents a very interesting question: What is Cana's latent power that their former master alluded to?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  14:16:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall Nikita was filmed with a lot of the new-gen bluescreen/CGI stuff; locations could be "filmed" in a quick and cheap way which just sort of scans them into an archive of high-res 3D-environment "sets", actors and objects are then just rendered overtop.

Although the method was still a bit experimental back then (it's standard issue these days) and may not have been used on all the episodes, at least not on the earliest ones. This bluescreen tech is basically visually undetectable without extreme digital scrutiny, it isn't the crappy fuzzy fakey Disney garbage people have been watching for decades.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  12:09:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I recently watched the new episode of Fairy Tail. They always cut short the most interesting part. I'm looking forward to Laxus kicking the ass of his own father in the next episode.

---------------------------

Just watched episode 169. Yes, Laxus kicked his father's butt, but in an almost bored way, making the viewers rather bored as well.

Oh well, at least Wendy is providing a good show of her skills.

Edited by - Dennis on 17 Feb 2013 09:30:05
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  09:35:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I recall Nikita was filmed with a lot of the new-gen bluescreen/CGI stuff; locations could be "filmed" in a quick and cheap way which just sort of scans them into an archive of high-res 3D-environment "sets", actors and objects are then just rendered overtop.

Although the method was still a bit experimental back then (it's standard issue these days) and may not have been used on all the episodes, at least not on the earliest ones . . .
Most likely, specially in seasons 2 and 3.

Go to Top of Page

Zealot
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  22:34:43  Show Profile Send Zealot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in love with the north of Faerun and in turn some of the barbarian tribes. The history channel is coming out with a new show called Viking. Its previews look good but I just got back into the country not too long ago. Has anyone else read or seen anything about this?

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  22:43:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

I'm in love with the north of Faerun and in turn some of the barbarian tribes. The history channel is coming out with a new show called Viking. Its previews look good but I just got back into the country not too long ago. Has anyone else read or seen anything about this?

That's great news! I didn't think the History Channel actually aired shows about history anymore.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Zealot
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2013 :  23:39:09  Show Profile Send Zealot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand its actually a show in the vein of Game of Thrones only more viking and factual. I'm just trying to find out the premise and I'm am www. Stupid

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  02:44:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

That's great news! I didn't think the History Channel actually aired shows about history anymore.

If you search the io9.com website, you'll find a few preview trailers and concept vid-docs for the upcoming series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  12:28:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah. That sounds like an interesting show. I'd watch it as soon as it gets aired, or at least have someone record it for me.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  14:28:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Games of Thrones season 2 is out for sale today!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  14:58:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm probably the only fan of the novels who hasn't bothered to watch the show yet. Haha. Martin seems to hate happy endings. But I'm still hoping that as the series concludes, he'd give at least two gay characters a "real happy ending."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  15:45:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm probably the only fan of the novels who hasn't bothered to watch the show yet. Haha. Martin seems to hate happy endings. But I'm still hoping that as the series concludes, he'd give at least two gay characters a "real happy ending."

I watched a couple of episodes, but it didn't grab me... That may have been the environment, though: at my father-in-law's, sitting between his mother and my wife, while trying to keep an eye on my son, who was crawling all over the non-babyproofed house.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  16:07:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I caught a piece of one episode, and I'm a novel-fan.

Of course, I am only halfway through the (book) series, so I am avoiding the shows because I don't want spoilers. My second-oldest is addicted to the show, and he has already bought whatever seasons are available on Blueray... so I will borrow them all from him AFTER I finish my reading.

DVR has got me spoiled - I am used to watching several episodes of everything back-to-back, without commercials, I find it VERY hard to watch shows 'live' anymore. I watched the first two seasons of Walking Dead (AWESOME program) in one of those 24-hour marathons (thanks to a recommendation by that same son).

As an aside, I thank god every day I had four boys. My oldest has Harry Potter, LotR, etc on Blueray - between of the two of them I have a library of exactly what I like at my disposal. If I had girls I'd probably only have 'date movies' and 'teen angst' novels to choose from.

Oh, and my 15-year-old got The Hunger Games for Christmas on blueray, so he's already contributing to his Dad's addictions.

*Grammatical Correction

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Feb 2013 16:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  16:26:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Of course, I am only halfway through the (book) series, so I am avoiding the shows because I don't want spoilers. My second-oldest is addicted to the show, and he has already bought whatever seasons are available on Blueray... so I will borrow them all from him AFTER I finish my reading.

DVR has got me spoiled - I am used to watching several episodes of everything back-to-back, without commercials, I find it VERY hard to watch shows 'live' anymore. I watched the first two seasons of Walking Dead (AWESOME program) in one of those 24-hour marathons (thanks to a recommendation by that same son).

As an aside, I thank god every day I had four boys. My oldest has Harry Potter LotR, etc on Blueray - between of the two of them I have a library of exactly what I like at my disposal. If I had girls I'd probably only have 'date movies' and 'teen angst' novels to choose from.

Oh, and my 15-year-old got The Hunger Games for Christmas on blueray, so he's already contributing to his Dad's addictions.

The Walking Dead is a FANTASTIC show!

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  21:18:38  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. I haven't yet seen any of the third season, but the end of the last episode of season two had me excited, as I recognized the prison and the cloaked chick with the two leashed walkers with her!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  01:17:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As an aside, I thank god every day I had four boys. My oldest has Harry Potter LotR, etc on Blueray - between of the two of them I have a library of exactly what I like at my disposal. If I had girls I'd probably only have 'date movies' and 'teen angst' novels to choose from.

Eh. Aside from the actor playing the Governor [who is a favourite of mine], I just can't understand the hype about this show. Maybe it's because I'm not really a fan of zombies.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  01:18:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the television series in much the same way I liked the Dresden Files television series. I accept that the GoT series progresses somewhat differently to what we've seen in the books so far. We've seen content in the television series that didn't feature either at all, or only briefly in the books, so I usually don't look to the television series as a completely faithful adaptation of the books. It's just another interpretation of them.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  12:11:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I already promised myself to try it out one day. Probably after the novel series is concluded.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  12:14:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Eh. Aside from the actor playing the Governor [who is a favourite of mine], I just can't understand the hype about this show. Maybe it's because I'm not really a fan of zombies.
I'm no fan of zombies, either, so I don't understand the hype. At. All.

I heard people say the success of undead-type TV series and films should be credited to undead-centric RPGs. True?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  13:18:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I heard people say the success of undead-type TV series and films should be credited to undead-centric RPGs. True?

I don't get the zombie craze, either... I wonder if the craze has to do with (perhaps unconsciously) feeling overwhelmed or threated by the world -- a relentless, unreasoning, unstoppable foe, with your only choices being a futile and ultimately doomed fight, or flight to some distant place, far removed from everything else. Modern progress and zombies have much in common, in that regard.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  14:23:54  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't get the zombie craze, either... I wonder if the craze has to do with (perhaps unconsciously) feeling overwhelmed or threated by the world -- a relentless, unreasoning, unstoppable foe, with your only choices being a futile and ultimately doomed fight, or flight to some distant place, far removed from everything else. Modern progress and zombies have much in common, in that regard.

As a fan of the Resident evil film series, I have to say i enjoy watching them because i like to see Milla shoot zombies in the head with a shotgun.

Seriously though its just a entertaining action filled series for me, I don't even think of it as horror.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  15:06:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I've never heard that before. But I do think Wooly's hit upon a possible psychological reasoning -- especially since most of the Zombie-Apocalypse films and stories seem to feature predominantly in "highly-civilised" Western societies.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  15:50:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I already promised myself to try it out one day. Probably after the novel series is concluded.

So in 2031?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  15:52:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To all of those who think The Walking Dead show is merely about zombies: You are sorely mistaken. If that is the only reason you are avoiding the show then you are really missing out. Yes there are zombies in the show (Obviously) but what makes the show fascinating is the human relationships as events progress.

Beware the Dead, Fear the Living.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  16:31:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Walkers have become the equivalent of Vermin - they are mostly ignored at this point, unless they get too close. In the last episode, Glen literally just turned around face-to-face with one, knocked it down, and stomped on its head... like a cockroach. Unless they come out you in severely large numbers, they are a mere annoyance at this point.

Its how the people behave in such a post-apocalyptric world that is riveting... because it hits so close to home. Most folks are little more then animals themselves, now.

It reminds me an old (excellent but dated) novel I read called Lucifer's Hammer, which was also an 'end of the world' story (except in that case it was a comet/meteor). In that book, the National Guard (being the best organized and well-armed group still existing) became cannibals, and used everyone else as a food source. Makes you think....

EDIT: Couldn't agree more with what Entreri said - its not at all about the zombies. Up until this show, I wasn't a 'zombie guy' myself. Maybe 1st season was, but that was just to establish the atmosphere that the rest of the story is set in. There are whole episodes that have no zombie encounters (other then just seeing them milling about in the background).

If anything, I think its comics that got this show off the ground (and not just the comic its based upon). This show is grungy, not creepy. The movie coming out with Brad Pitt - now THAT looks creepy. This is horror, but the zombies aren't the most horrible aspect... thats the thing.

EDIT2: And the best part is, no character is too sacred. Nearly all other TV series you know who 'has to make it', because it has a regular cast. Not this one - I am surprised nearly every single week. Imagine watching Charlie's Angels back in the 70's and one of the angels gets killed in an episode... thats what it is like. I must say "Holy S@#$!" at least once every time its on.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2013 16:40:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  16:56:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started watching the new Battlestar series - Blood & Chrome. Its looks like its going to be better then the other prequel (I wasn't at all thrilled by that one). Tons of action and a few surprises, but the lead (Adama) is a way too 'Mary Sue' to make me comfortable. Why does everyone always end up on Hoth?

Also caught a few episodes of Continuum - it looks like it could be good, but it hasn't really grabbed me thus-far (I like the premise, but they need to punch things up a bit - its very predictable). I'm going to be keeping my eye on it, and my fingers crossed.

I've been also watching The Following, which is a bit too RW-creepy for my usual fare, but it does give me some good RPG ideas. Another I've been keeping my eye on is Ghost Mine - it moves a bit slowly for my taste, but it is a 'reality' show, and the history parts make it different then others of that ilk.

I really miss Fringe , but Touch is a good replacement - I think Kiefer Sutherland can make anything watchable.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2013 16:57:14
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  16:58:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT2: And the best part is, no character is too sacred. Nearly all other TV series you know who 'has to make it', because it has a regular cast. Not this one - I am surprised nearly every single week. Imagine watching Charlie's Angels back in the 70's and one of the angels gets killed in an episode... thats what it is like. I must say "Holy S@#$!" at least once every time its on.

I love this aspect of the show. NO ONE is safe.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  18:50:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To all of those who think The Walking Dead show is merely about zombies: You are sorely mistaken. If that is the only reason you are avoiding the show then you are really missing out. Yes there are zombies in the show (Obviously) but what makes the show fascinating is the human relationships as events progress.

Eh, still not enough to pique my interest. I don't watch a lot of TV, and I'm reluctant to get into any new shows.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  00:41:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My dislike of zombies really does prevent me from making any effort to watch this series. In the eyes of some, that may be my loss, but with the lack of quality free time that I have these days, I really need to be discriminatory about what I spend my time watching. And, with all the other quality series I'm trying to keep up with [for example, I'm still about three seasons behind with both Smallville and Supernatural], there just isn't time for something like The Walking Dead.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000