Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Directors cut
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  16:09:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I agree that most fans wouldn't be very confused by such things, but the alternate info won't STAY in the director's cut context. It would find its way into the far corners of cyberspace and cause all manner of continuity arguments.

Haha. Yep.

"But Elaine said . . ."

Heh. I just thought of this thread in the context of a satirical article in The Onion, in which Todd Akins was "quoted" as saying breast milk is 94% effective in curing gays. (But lesbians, obviously, need to drink something else...) In context, it's obviously a satire. But after it's passed along a time or two, people refer to it in facebook posts as, "OMG can you believe what this moron said now?"

My point--and I do have one--is not to start a political discussion, but to emphasize that anything on the internet will eventually be misread and quoted out of context.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone say "but I read it on the internet, it has to be true" , I'd had at least a mortgage payment!

Mod edit: Moved the intended reply out of the quote

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Aug 2012 16:32:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  16:34:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone say "but I read it on the internet, it has to be true" , I'd had at least a mortgage payment!

My wife has an issue with me using the "but it's on the internet!" argument, of late...

Of course, I think her objection stems from the fact that the statements in question are things I put on the internet, on my own website...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Aug 2012 16:34:56
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2012 :  00:28:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

My wife has an issue with me using the "but it's on the internet!" argument, of late...

Of course, I think her objection stems from the fact that the statements in question are things I put on the internet, on my own website...

So your work is "published"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page