Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Directors cut
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tim3kgt
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:16:17  Show Profile Send tim3kgt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The idea of director's cut for old supplements and adventures was brought up at the CandleKeep seminar @ GenCon12. I personally would like to see this show up in PDF form. I don't really want the extra expense of buying another hard-copy but I would certainly buy the e-version. Maybe even include some of the hand written or hand drawn maps and notes (provided they are legible).
discuss:

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:30:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see something simular for novels as well.

A director's cut of Spellfire??? Sign me up! Maps, doodles, notes...anything would be great. Like I said in another scroll, could form a great bridge between authors current work to the one we are waiting on.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect we're mostly looking at digital versions of products, and there may be a print on demand model available for those who really want paper.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:53:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love to do a "director's cut" of EVERMEET, with a greatly expanded final battle sequence. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:57:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I would love to do a "director's cut" of EVERMEET, with a greatly expanded final battle sequence. :)

I hate to admit this....

But i would pay for that

Any way to get Elaine back in the realms, sign me up.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Aug 2012 20:58:57
Go to Top of Page

tim3kgt
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:59:31  Show Profile Send tim3kgt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would purchase at any price, anything with the name Elaine Cunnigham on it. Please WOTC put her on SALARY!!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  22:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would probably pay for "director's cuts" of any of the novels I love, but I just couldn't afford to re-buy all the hardcover supplements that I have purchased over the years.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  22:14:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would love to read it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  23:41:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I would love to read it.

I'd love to buy a bundle including that and Reclamation

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  23:50:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the now-legendary original submission of Spellfire...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  23:51:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

I would love to read it.

I'd love to buy a bundle including that and Reclamation

Oh, it'd be great if things were tweaked in such a matter that Elaine could complete Reclamation. I'd love to read more about Arilyn and Danilo.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  01:54:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I'm assuming you already have some ideas on how you would expand on the final battle sequence.

Could you briefly share them here with us?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  01:56:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Ed and Elaine's City of Splendors too, while we're talking about it. Since we know odd bits of content were either not included or just simply removed during the writing/editing process.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Aug 2012 01:58:19
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  02:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking from very limited experience, I second all the novels so far listed. But for sources, I would love a director's cut of Lost Empires of Faerûn. If I have a detailed source of "what used to be here," I can make some awesome dungeons that nobody has ever heard of that are "historically" accurate.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  02:39:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

So I'm assuming you already have some ideas on how you would expand on the final battle sequence.

She could, but due to the nature of the Internet .....I'm guessing she won't.

And I applaud you for asking what we were all thinking!

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  04:46:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Similarly with the Battle of Mithral Hall at the end of The Halfling's Gem. TSR rushed Bob through that. I think it takes up less than one page. It's like the epilogue to the movie Braveheart!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  04:57:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd love to see you usher Evermeet into the 5E era with a new novel or for us to find out what Liriel has been up to for the last century. :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 21 Aug 2012 04:59:32
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  12:28:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great idea. Its been done for other series, like Raymond Feist's Magician.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  15:08:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And Ed and Elaine's City of Splendors too, while we're talking about it. Since we know odd bits of content were either not included or just simply removed during the writing/editing process.

Ed cut something like 14,000 words on the final pass. Which is, in large part, why I'm content to let City of Splendors stand as is. We did SO MANY PASSES on this novel that the idea of doing another makes me want to cower under my desk and whimper.

That said, writing the book was a lot of fun and I would leap at the chance to work with Ed again. But any such project would have to have clearly defined sections. An epistolary novel--a story told a series of letters between two people--would be ideal for very different writing styles and very different character voices. Alternately, a story told in first person point of view by two characters, as Dave Gross is doing with such success in his Radovan and Jeggare novels in the Pathfinder setting, would be fun. (BTW, if you haven't read Dave's Pathfinder books, order them TODAY.) Alas, neither of these formats fit the Forgotten Realms storytelling style.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 21 Aug 2012 16:23:37
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  15:11:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Red Walker is right. I try not to speculate about characters' futures or post unapproved lore, for that is the path to chaos.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  15:12:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:

I'd love to see you usher Evermeet into the 5E era with a new novel or for us to find out what Liriel has been up to for the last century. :)

You know, that DOES sound like fun.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  15:34:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, it'd be great if things were tweaked in such a matter that Elaine could complete Reclamation. I'd love to read more about Arilyn and Danilo.

It's not a matter of "tweaking things." Reclamation would require a very different ending, which would require a whole new plot.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  15:45:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's not a matter of "tweaking things." Reclamation would require a very different ending, which would require a whole new plot.

I'm ok with that

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:26:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how large of a fanbase we represent, but we are a very loyal fanbase who would definitely shell out gold pieces to finally be able to read Reclamation, in what ever form the book may be at the end.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:45:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, I was referring to the in-setting changes that necessitated that. Without knowing more about what you were working on, I don't know if the changes can be mitigated/undone -- but it'd be nice if the setting was returned to a place where Reclamation could happen as planned.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  01:58:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Red Walker is right. I try not to speculate about characters' futures or post unapproved lore, for that is the path to chaos.

I thought as much, but I was too curiously tempted by the possibilities by what you suggested.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  14:35:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I suspect we're mostly looking at digital versions of products, and there may be a print on demand model available for those who really want paper.

Having a POD option makes a lot of sense.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  15:29:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I was referring to the in-setting changes that necessitated that. Without knowing more about what you were working on, I don't know if the changes can be mitigated/undone -- but it'd be nice if the setting was returned to a place where Reclamation could happen as planned.

Wooly, it's my understanding that 5E will not be a retcon, nor will 4E changes be dismissed in Bobby-Ewing-shower-scene fashion (aka AND IT WAS ALL A DREAM!) Canon is canon, and all changes stand.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 22 Aug 2012 20:41:48
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  15:33:05  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine is correct. The timeline is going to continue according to Ed. Nothing will be invalidated and the present time will still exist some point after the current date (1480 DR).
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  15:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yuck. I sure hope they allow, and that authors will, write novels back in the 1350-1370 timeframe.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  16:10:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Yuck. I sure hope they allow, and that authors will, write novels back in the 1350-1370 timeframe.

I hoping from all time frames is allowed and encouraged.....I want to read about the Seven Sigil War, The Moonstars, the times when dragons ruled, Danilo and Elaith Craulnober, more of when Cormyr was young(paging Brian Cortijo)....I could list dozens....

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Aug 2012 16:13:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page