Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Old Grey Box (1e AD&D) Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  03:26:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all, I am getting ready to run a game (sometime this year) that will start in my own version of the Forgotten Realms starting on the 9th of Hammer 1358...the Time of Troubles hasn't even happened yet.

Having said that, I'm wanting to compile a list here of any and all sources of LORE (which can include crunch) concerning the Forgotten Realms prior to the advent of 2nd Edtion AD&D.

I have the following books that are of this period:

Old Grey Box
A Grand History of the Realms
Dreams of the Red Wizards
Moonshae Isles
The Savage Frontier
Empires of the Sands
Waterdeep and the North
The Magister
Under Illefarn
Lords of Darkness
Ruins of Adventure
The Five Shires (by Ed Greenwood, placed in the Gulthmere Forest area)

Non-Forgotten Realms books I will also use are:

AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide
AD&D Player's Handbook
AD&D Unearthed Arcana
Monster Manual I
Monster Manual II
Fiend Folio
Manual of the Planes
Dungeoneers Survival Guide
Wilderness Survival Guide

I also have an assortment of Polyhedron, Dungeon and Dragon Magazines; a scattering of lore I've gleaned from here on Candlekeep...BUT! A big BUT!

I feel like I'm missing lots more. I would welcome anyone listing any article, magazine, book or whatever that I am missing from this list...but it must all come from pre-2nd Edition sources please.

Feel free to recommend books from later sources that can be useful; but it MUST be something concerning Lore please. I don't mind history and fluff...but I'm trying to avoid anything that would be too far removed from my starting date of 9 Hammer 1358.

EDIT: ADDED MATERIAL TO THE LIST...

Forgotten Realms Adventures (hardbook 2e material...used for Lore only)

Heroes' Lorebook

Villains' Lorebook

Faiths and Avatars

Powers and Pantheons

Demihuman Deities

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 13 Jun 2012 19:10:55

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  03:44:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently especially looking for any information at all on (including later editions that I can "back peddle" to AD&D):

Starmantle

Prespur I have the Sea of Fallen Stars book and the Pirates already, and I've exhausted the information from those sources.

Ironfang (of Turmish...not of the Moonsea), I don't know anything about the place as far as population, military, etc.

Treefall Pass in Turmish...if there is a pass there...what is it used for?

Cedarspoke Mainly looking for a possible map of the place? Any other information is good though!

Lake of the Long Arm AND Lake of the Snake Are these two Dragoncoast places only added after 1st Edition Realms? What is there on them? What is the third lake called?

That is a good start...thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  05:37:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have Forgotten Realms Adventures, I hope. The FR series (FR1 through FR16), FOR series (FOR1 through FOR13), Heroes' Lorebook, Villains' Lorebook, Powers and Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities are all Realms-specific sources.

The DMGR books (particularly DMGR4: Monster Mythology) are useful, as are all the PHBR books (especially PHBR8: Complete Book of Elves). And the 2E Tome of Magic of course. The Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Maztica, Spelljammer, and Planescape stuff are easily integrated but really all entirely separate campaign settings. The various "2.5E" Options books are great too, if you're willing to hybridize your game rules away from purist AD&D.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  19:41:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out this site: FR stuff published by TSR

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  20:29:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Check out this site: FR stuff published by TSR

That is SWEET Wooly! Thanks man!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page