Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e Cosmology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  18:14:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Quick question: Asides for not liking it when things are randomly retconned without explanation, does anyone really dislike the Great Tree being the 'official cosmology' over the Great Wheel? If so, why (asides for not liking unexplained retcons)? I've never understood personally. The lore that came with Planescape- locations, organizations, phenomena, individuals, events, and whatever else- was what made it so amazing, in my opinion. Does the theoretical shape of the multiverse being a tree or a wheel really interfere with your enjoyment of these things?

I have no problem with it at all...my whole stance on the issue is that just because it is DESCRIBED a certain way doesn't mean it actually EXISTS a certain way.

If nobody minds (and while I realize Real World Religion is taboo, I have experience in being "easy" with it): The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches to their members that their are THREE Heavenly Realms...and beyond this, the highest (The Celestial Kingdom) has three divisions as well.

Most other faiths based upon the Christian Model teach that there is only ONE Heaven...though I've encountered a couple that say Seven!

HOWEVER...the perception of these faiths and their belief system can be quite different, though in the end, if we follow logic, Heaven only exists in one way...no matter what anyone thinks concerning it.

So back to our Forgotten Realms: it doesn't matter how it is BELIEVED to be; the fact is that the Outer Planes are simply THERE.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  18:17:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't have a problem with what they do for the Forgotten Realms...I mean, it wasn't so long ago that many thought the Sun revolved around Earth...and we seemed to have survived the "change" eh?

This would only a viable argument if the sun did indeed revolve around the Earth, and that suddenly changed without warning or explanation.

BUT Wooly, the people THOUGHT the Sun revolved around the earth...and that made it "true" didn't it?

Just because someone writes a "theory" of how the planes are, does not mean they actually are that way.

I take the books as only what the sages and scholars of the day consider to be true...not what the actual truth is.

For me, the Great Wheel is the essential "Truth", but from that can be pulled any number of ideas about how things exist. I don't have to fully use things as presented.

Even people thought the sun revolved around the Earth, it did not physically change the nature of the universe when it was determined to be otherwise.

The planar changes from 2E to 3E changed some aspects of planar travel, and that and isolating the Realms from everything else meant that much of the prior lore referring to planar travel -- including deities coming to the Realms from elsewhere -- was now more difficult or canonically impossible. And then 4E did it again.

You can refer to planar theory for a lot of things -- but the changing of a theory should not invalidate known history.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  18:19:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even people thought the sun revolved around the Earth, it did not physically change the nature of the universe when it was determined to be otherwise.

The planar changes from 2E to 3E changed some aspects of planar travel, and that and isolating the Realms from everything else meant that much of the prior lore referring to planar travel -- including deities coming to the Realms from elsewhere -- was now more difficult or canonically impossible. And then 4E did it again.

You can refer to planar theory for a lot of things -- but the changing of a theory should not invalidate known history.

I see your point...and it is very valid.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  18:21:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Quick question: Asides for not liking it when things are randomly retconned without explanation, does anyone really dislike the Great Tree being the 'official cosmology' over the Great Wheel? If so, why (asides for not liking unexplained retcons)? I've never understood personally. The lore that came with Planescape- locations, organizations, phenomena, individuals, events, and whatever else- was what made it so amazing, in my opinion. Does the theoretical shape of the multiverse being a tree or a wheel really interfere with your enjoyment of these things?

Actually, I think the Wheel is a far more elegant arrangement for planes than the Tree.

That said, I think it could be said that the planes of the Tree are simple levels of or domains on the planes of the Wheel. That's an easy enough way to mesh them, though I dislike the necessity.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  19:52:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm somewhat preferential to the Wheel as well. Although a problem inherent with it is the usual compulsive symmetries it installs. Strictly speaking, there isn't any particular requirement for symmetry, for every positive and negative to balance, not even when something (like Sigil) is said to exist at the centerpoint. Sometimes it gets carried away to contrived extremes which really don't offer anything useful and end up taking focus away from things of interest. Non-Wheel paradigms generally do not suffer this particular disadvantage.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  23:04:31  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't have a problem with what they do for the Forgotten Realms...I mean, it wasn't so long ago that many thought the Sun revolved around Earth...and we seemed to have survived the "change" eh?

This would only a viable argument if the sun did indeed revolve around the Earth, and that suddenly changed without warning or explanation.

BUT Wooly, the people THOUGHT the Sun revolved around the earth...and that made it "true" didn't it?

Just because someone writes a "theory" of how the planes are, does not mean they actually are that way.

I take the books as only what the sages and scholars of the day consider to be true...not what the actual truth is.

For me, the Great Wheel is the essential "Truth", but from that can be pulled any number of ideas about how things exist. I don't have to fully use things as presented.

And to quote the raven, "well all right then."

Dalor Darden I agree with almost everything you said.

only with the perception isn't reality part, but everything else, spot on.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  01:49:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, I think the Wheel is a far more elegant arrangement for planes than the Tree.

That said, I think it could be said that the planes of the Tree are simple levels of or domains on the planes of the Wheel. That's an easy enough way to mesh them, though I dislike the necessity.

Another alternative would be to just look at the planes of the Tree as simply how the residents of the [3e] Realms interpreted the planes of the Great Wheel from their own setting-perspective.

Again, I know it isn't an entirely satisfying explanation, but it does, ultimately, render the whole "Great Wheel/Great Tree" debate moot for the most part.

I think the only way I'd spin the whole "Great Tree" configuration of the planes in my Realms... would be to suggest that this is how only those or Norse and/or Asgardian origins [whether inside or outside of Realmspace], saw the Realms cosmology. Comparing it, I suppose, to their interpretation of Yggdrasil.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  02:30:39  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither really matters to me, it's just given the information I have one model seems more apt than another. I of course admit that this perspective could be altered over time.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  02:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I disagree. I know of nothing that says that Eberron, Mystara, or Blackmoor have any connections to anywhere else.

Off the top of my head there was a shadow elf in 2e's 'Faces of Sigil' that was from Mystara IIRC. But as I never played any non-AD&D material, I'm woefully unprepared to recognize any other references that there might have been (I've never actually even seen the stuff on a shelf for sale, my fault for getting into the game so late I suppose).

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  03:07:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:
I disagree. I know of nothing that says that Eberron, Mystara, or Blackmoor have any connections to anywhere else.

Off the top of my head there was a shadow elf in 2e's 'Faces of Sigil' that was from Mystara IIRC.
'Twas Farrow.

Going from memory... Faces of Sigil notes that Farrow was one of the few shadow elves to travel from Mystara to Sigil.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  04:10:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many don't recall it, but Mystara was brought into 2e with a Karameikos Boxed Set.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  06:31:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 Karameikos

I note that D&D has always emphasized the Classical Greek, Egyptian, and Norse pantheons above all others. So we always have a (Gygax-interpreted) perspective which is heavily flavoured by things like Olympus and Hades, Elysia and Styx, Asgard and Yggdrasil, etc.

Planescape lore did a fair job of constructing an entirely "new" fantasy mythology of sorts, and I love it ... but it was probably just too weirdly eclectic and too heavy (off the deep-end) for the mainstream to fully appreciate. It also seems like everybody knows some tidbits of Greyhawk lore (Vecna, etc) which hardly ever see any real application in most (Realms-based?) D&D campaigns.

If D&D persists with the idea of using the Forgotten Realms as the default "flagship" setting then it only makes sense for the structure of the entire cosmos to be forged through Realmslore mythology. This means discussion about the domains of the Faerūnian deities, about the "other" powers who are/were influential on Toril, about how and where the Seldarine and other pantheons are positioned, a less nebulous definition of Ao (and his peers), some discourse about the Fugue Plane, etc.

As it stands, and has stood within every previous D&D edition, the Realms are really something of a planar backwater. I fully understand that a Realms campaign is intended to be Realms-centric, not Planar-centric, but still it seems to me that the Realms must have developed its own sophistications and understandings about other worlds and planes. Don't the gods teach people anything? Haven't planeswalkers been mapping the paths to other worlds since the age of ancient Netheril?

[Edit: Self-gratz for attaining 2^12 post count, yay me.]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 May 2012 06:37:09
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  14:20:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And since Blackmoor exists in some way in both the Mystara and Greyhawk settings, then Blackmoor does indeed have a very tenuous connection to Planescape as well.

Also, Shemmy pointed-out (in another thread) several cosmological features (beings, etc) that PS has in-common with parts of Mystara's cosmology. I know that doesn't prove they are connected (or the same beings), but since they are connected by NPCs, it makes sense that these other things are also one and the same.

I don't mind the Great tree at all - I think of it as a 'local neighborhood'. When Ao changed the rules of worship post-ToT (and made folks slowly forget about him), it makes sense that he actually altered their perceptions of the cosmos to help-along the new co-dependency situation. In other words, if gods now find mortals necessary, then mortals should also find gods are necessary. Knowledge of the Great Wheel lessens mortals awe of deities.

That being said, I still insist the Great Wheel exists, out beyond the Great Tree, and a mortal from the Realms could get there through the Shadowfel (as per canon), but should also be able to find 'back doors' within certain other outer planes (like the Hells, for example). This way, aside from the Plane of Shadow, mortals must pass through godly domains to get anywhere else - before, they didn't have to do that.

So the Tree just becomes a change in perception, which went along with Ao's changing the rules. All spheres should have this option of a 'local cosmology' overlay on the Great Wheel.

Eberron, on the other hand, follows a different pattern - its cosmology is more like a planetary system, so I think it is a physical set of worlds all existing within a single sphere. These other worlds should have gates to the great Wheel planes they are associated with, but are NOT the same as those planes. Travel to these other 'planets' is nearly impossible in Eberron - spelljamming doesn't work in it's sphere* - so traveling beyond them should be unheard of (but still possible). Since it is connected to the Shadowfel, just like any other world, it MUST be part of the same multiverse as all the other D&D worlds - its just a LOT harder to reach then most others.

I am sure if Eberron was around in 2e, it would have gotten the same minor nods both Athas and Mystara got in PS material. We can't say it isn't connected because of a lack of mentions, because it wasn't even created then - that would be like saying Nentir Vale isn't connected to PS or SJ. A lack of proof is not proof to the contrary.

*IIRC, planer-travel is also a lot more difficult in Eberron - you have to wait until there are conjunctions, or some-such. This means that moving beyond the local planes/planets of EB become even more risky, because you have a limited window during which to return. On the other hand, this means any Eberronese that get trapped in the Great Wheel planes would probably eventually find their way to Sigil (if they live), since they can't get home.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 May 2012 14:22:52
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  15:15:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay

I am sure if Eberron was around in 2e, it would have gotten the same minor nods both Athas and Mystara got in PS material. We can't say it isn't connected because of a lack of mentions, because it wasn't even created then ...

This seems like a valid argument. If 4E (or 5E) were to create an entirely new campaign setting, isolated from all others which came before, and firmly entrenched within a post-retcon cosmology ... is it unreasonable to assume that these worlds were not a part of the pre-retconned Planescape cosmos?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  16:41:43  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And since Blackmoor exists in some way in both the Mystara and Greyhawk settings, then Blackmoor does indeed have a very tenuous connection to Planescape as well.

Also, Shemmy pointed-out (in another thread) several cosmological features (beings, etc) that PS has in-common with parts of Mystara's cosmology. I know that doesn't prove they are connected (or the same beings), but since they are connected by NPCs, it makes sense that these other things are also one and the same.

I don't mind the Great tree at all - I think of it as a 'local neighborhood'. When Ao changed the rules of worship post-ToT (and made folks slowly forget about him), it makes sense that he actually altered their perceptions of the cosmos to help-along the new co-dependency situation. In other words, if gods now find mortals necessary, then mortals should also find gods are necessary. Knowledge of the Great Wheel lessens mortals awe of deities.

That being said, I still insist the Great Wheel exists, out beyond the Great Tree, and a mortal from the Realms could get there through the Shadowfel (as per canon), but should also be able to find 'back doors' within certain other outer planes (like the Hells, for example). This way, aside from the Plane of Shadow, mortals must pass through godly domains to get anywhere else - before, they didn't have to do that.

So the Tree just becomes a change in perception, which went along with Ao's changing the rules. All spheres should have this option of a 'local cosmology' overlay on the Great Wheel.

Eberron, on the other hand, follows a different pattern - its cosmology is more like a planetary system, so I think it is a physical set of worlds all existing within a single sphere. These other worlds should have gates to the great Wheel planes they are associated with, but are NOT the same as those planes. Travel to these other 'planets' is nearly impossible in Eberron - spelljamming doesn't work in it's sphere* - so traveling beyond them should be unheard of (but still possible). Since it is connected to the Shadowfel, just like any other world, it MUST be part of the same multiverse as all the other D&D worlds - its just a LOT harder to reach then most others.

I am sure if Eberron was around in 2e, it would have gotten the same minor nods both Athas and Mystara got in PS material. We can't say it isn't connected because of a lack of mentions, because it wasn't even created then - that would be like saying Nentir Vale isn't connected to PS or SJ. A lack of proof is not proof to the contrary.

*IIRC, planer-travel is also a lot more difficult in Eberron - you have to wait until there are conjunctions, or some-such. This means that moving beyond the local planes/planets of EB become even more risky, because you have a limited window during which to return. On the other hand, this means any Eberronese that get trapped in the Great Wheel planes would probably eventually find their way to Sigil (if they live), since they can't get home.

I can't say what might have happened, but I do know that Baker has siad in two seperate instances, that he has always wanted to keep Eberron in i it's own cosmology independent from others. Especially with reference to the rotation of the plans within the universe and the fact that some of those plains, according to him, do not mesh with other plains in other cosmologies. I can't say to what extent this claim is ture or not, but that's why I have always felt that Eberron should be kept seperat from everything else and not part of the greater cosomology of Fr and other gamelines.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  16:49:26  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why do you prefer the whell over the tree? I am curious to hear someone's argument that knows more of the lore, as they may have bery valid reasons for doing so, beyond those already stated. Assume I know little.

2. Why do you find the idea of a a tree and a wheel distastful? as the formulation would allow for several features and explanations for me that seem resonable at first glance. Figuratively of course (tongue and cheek pun aside).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  16:57:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One could, however, make a planar connection to Eberron without much work... Either you could make portal providing a direct path, but still assume different universes (the way I assume that Earth and Toril are in different universes), or you could have one of the planes orbiting Eberron have a connection to a plane on the Wheel.

Actually, now that I think about it, you don't even have to assume different universe for Earth or Eberron... Maybe both are on alternate Primes that are somehow mostly isolated from the planes of the Wheel...

Edit: typo

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 May 2012 17:15:08
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  17:11:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, well to me the word "universe" has a very precise meaning, and there is (by definition) only and exactly one universe in actual fact. But references to "alternate" and "parallel" and plural universes are standard fictional fare today ...

What I tried to state above (some posts back) was that there's plenty of room in even one universe for multiple, imperfect, and incompatible cosmologies to coexist. To me it actually seems unreasonable that any single model could possibly explain all of infinity.

I suppose one loose and liberal interpretation might be, say, regions like the Savage Coast and Thar ... officially found in Mystara and Eberron, respectively, yet just as easily (and perhaps just as often) located within the Realms. From a meta-setting perspective an argument might suggest this is evidence of some kind of overlapping or blurring of planar and worldly boundaries.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 May 2012 17:12:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  17:13:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

quote:

quote:

Why do you prefer the whell over the tree? I am curious to hear someone's argument that knows more of the lore, as they may have bery valid reasons for doing so, beyond those already stated. Assume I know little.

2. Why do you find the idea of a a tree and a wheel distastful? as the formulation would allow for several features and explanations for me that seem resonable at first glance. Figuratively of course (tongue and cheek pun aside).

I just thought the Wheel was laid out better, and better represented the interplay of the nine alignments.

Alignment is a huge factor on the planes, and the arrangement of the Wheel reflected this. Good relaxes and becomes more neutral, which fades into evil, which slowly moves back into neutrality and then back into good... And law becomes less orderly (neutral) and then looses all order (chaos), then chaos slowly becomes organized (neutral) and that organization increases back into law.

The Wheel reflects how alignments interact with each other, and how a person can gradually progress from one alignment to another. And despite the appellation of Upper Planes and Lower Planes, the Wheel shows that cosmically speaking, all alignments have equal weight.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  17:23:31  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just thought the Wheel was laid out better, and better represented the interplay of the nine alignments.

Alignment is a huge factor on the planes, and the arrangement of the Wheel reflected this. Good relaxes and becomes more neutral, which fades into evil, which slowly moves back into neutrality and then back into good... And law becomes less orderly (neutral) and then looses all order (chaos), then chaos slowly becomes organized (neutral) and that organization increases back into law.

The Wheel reflects how alignments interact with each other, and how a person can gradually progress from one alignment to another. And despite the appellation of Upper Planes and Lower Planes, the Wheel shows that cosmically speaking, all alignments have equal weight.

It follows logically valadily and even seems sound enough, but in either case, tree or wheel a central point most exist. a trunk for the tree, or an axis, or pivit, for the wheel. in the case of your wheel, leaving the tree aside for the moment, what is your axis point? the Material plain?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  17:50:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigil

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  21:14:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It follows logically valadily and even seems sound enough, but in either case, tree or wheel a central point most exist. a trunk for the tree, or an axis, or pivit, for the wheel. in the case of your wheel, leaving the tree aside for the moment, what is your axis point? the Material plain?

In Planescape, the planes of the Wheel are all accessible from the Outlands, which is the plane of true neutrality. In the artwork, that's the layout: the outer planes ringing the Outlands, which is the interior part of the Wheel. And in the center of the Outlands is an impossibly tall spire. Floating above that is a torus -- and inside that torus is Sigil, the City of Doors.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  21:38:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-This is my stance as well. Though I don't necessarily like how one plane 'faded' into other, since I like to think of them all overlapping, existing on different wavelengths, it looked a lot nicer from a visual point-of-view. Then again, this could theoretically be done with a variant on the tree, if you looked at it in 3d- a branch extending in all four directions, with 'conflicting' alignments, elements, whatever else opposite each other.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  22:00:39  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spire! The beam! All serve the beam! And if it exists, then the breakers can exist... And if the breakers can exist... it can work, it can ... it can. the proof can be shown.

The labor is not in vain.

Bully!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  01:53:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In Planescape, the planes of the Wheel are all accessible from the Outlands, which is the plane of true neutrality. In the artwork, that's the layout: the outer planes ringing the Outlands, which is the interior part of the Wheel. And in the center of the Outlands is an impossibly tall spire. Floating above that is a torus -- and inside that torus is Sigil, the City of Doors.

Of course, it should be noted that those illustrative images are merely speculation in most cases, and aren't entirely indicative of the way Sigil, the Spire, and the Outlands all relate to each other.

An individual's perception plays a big part in how one sees the planes around oneself. So what may be common for one planar inhabitant, when they look to the Spire or the torus, isn't necessarily what another might exactly see.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  01:56:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One could, however, make a planar connection to Eberron without much work... Either you could make portal providing a direct path, but still assume different universes (the way I assume that Earth and Toril are in different universes), or you could have one of the planes orbiting Eberron have a connection to a plane on the Wheel.

Actually, now that I think about it, you don't even have to assume different universe for Earth or Eberron... Maybe both are on alternate Primes that are somehow mostly isolated from the planes of the Wheel...

Edit: typo

And, also, Keith Baker has stated that travel between EBERRON and either the Realms or Earth can happen, based on the fact that the Plane of Xoriat has "possible" connections to the Far Realm of the Core D&D Cosmology, and the "chaos" of undefined higher dimensions in real-world physical terms.

Provided a traveller can "safely use" such methods of access, then travel between these individual worlds is possible.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  03:01:38  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is true of perception, and will remain true if we discuss of this in the form of perception only. If however, we move beyond that and begin to discuss on what reality is, that thing that provides sensation that perception attempts to interpret, then that is another thing entirely. If reality dictates that the plain is a tree with each alignment a separate branch equally with the other, perhaps with certain plains being sub branches of the main one, then the reality holds. If reality is that the whole is a great wheel, and the entirety of the of it spins about the pivot, then it will hold. Both are conceptually valid, soundness is all that's left then.

The point here is that reality matters more than perception, for reality in addition to the mind and the senses determines our perceptions of reality. reality has a greater govern over our lives than mere perception does, for it influences perception. What is more we have the power to disregard our perceptions if we believe they are incorrect. If id did not do so, many things that people perceive as reality, which are in fact a part of reality itself, I would not believe in as reality, simply because I do not perceive them. I understand, even if I do not comprehend color, it's nature, its causes, and so on. It is a part of the reality of light refraction and the sensation of that upon color receptors in the eye. I use this over simplification of one of the many, many, many elements I must regard as existence in reality, even if my perception tells me otherwise. This point, is simply to place perception in its proper place is subservient to reality.

I believe the questions of this thread therefore, concern with the prefered reality of the new cosmology and not how it is percieved.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  05:40:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is true of perception, and will remain true if we discuss of this in the form of perception only. If however, we move beyond that and begin to discuss on what reality is, that thing that provides sensation that perception attempts to interpret, then that is another thing entirely. If reality dictates that the plain is a tree with each alignment a separate branch equally with the other, perhaps with certain plains being sub branches of the main one, then the reality holds. If reality is that the whole is a great wheel, and the entirety of the of it spins about the pivot, then it will hold. Both are conceptually valid, soundness is all that's left then.

The point here is that reality matters more than perception, for reality in addition to the mind and the senses determines our perceptions of reality. reality has a greater govern over our lives than mere perception does, for it influences perception. What is more we have the power to disregard our perceptions if we believe they are incorrect. If id did not do so, many things that people perceive as reality, which are in fact a part of reality itself, I would not believe in as reality, simply because I do not perceive them. I understand, even if I do not comprehend color, it's nature, its causes, and so on. It is a part of the reality of light refraction and the sensation of that upon color receptors in the eye. I use this over simplification of one of the many, many, many elements I must regard as existence in reality, even if my perception tells me otherwise. This point, is simply to place perception in its proper place is subservient to reality.

I believe the questions of this thread therefore, concern with the prefered reality of the new cosmology and not how it is percieved.

-That's my biggest gripe with the random change in cosmology from the Great Wheel to the Great Tree. Everything else aside, it wasn't so much as "Our hypothesis of what the structure of the planes is now this", as much as it was "The structure of the planes is now this". If the change from the Great Wheel to the Great Tree was the former, based on the perceptions of whatever sages decreed it, I would shrug and care less about it than I do now (which isn't all that much). An outright change in how people perceive reality and the cosmos around them, it happens. An outright change in reality and the cosmos itself? Less so, and a lot more jarring.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  06:37:41  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the DM should define his own cosmology.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  15:24:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the difference (in my eyes) between the Tree and Eberron's cosmology is that folks on Toril only think their versions are separate and unique, because of perception.

I made this point before: In my mind, if a Torillian and a Oerthan (GH) were traveling together in the planes, the Oerthan would think it really strange that the Torillian needed to keep going back to the prime to get to the next plane - something he himself would not have to do. Since perception = reality in a fantasy setting (based upon the rules of illusions), as far as the Torillian is concerned it would hit an actual physical 'wall' if they tried to cross a planer boundary with their buddies from other spheres.

On the other hand - I am not sure what would happen if the GH (or other) people could knock their friend out and drag him across the boundary - would his own belief still prevent him from crossing even while unconscious? I personally don't think they could - he would be stuck on the other side no matter how hard they tried to pull; this is one of those 'cosmic mandates' that is governed by your home plane (and the rules put in place by it's Overgod).

Eberron, on the other hand, definitely has separate planes, but I think these are just like worlds within a crystal sphere (a closed sphere like Athas). The sphere itself should be immeasurably large - even far bigger then Realmspace - to account for immense plane-planets rotating within it.

The only (known) sphere I think should be bigger then Eberron is Earthspace - it is possible, just read the Chronicles of Amber.

And I now have to wonder who is the Overgod of Eberspace.

Anyhow, I am agreeing with Rich Baker here, in spirit, but also with Keith Baker (The Fabulous Baker Boys!), in that I think it should be possible to travel to the corresponding Great Wheel planes from those plane-worlds, but the ways should be both difficult to navigate and well-hidden. KB only points to Xoriat (which definitely should have connections, since the Far Realms exist outside of any universe), but I think there should be others as well.

It seems to me there is a pattern here - Spheres without proper deities tend to be closed-off from the Great Wheel cosmology and Spelljamming; one has to wonder if it there is some correlation.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 May 2012 15:33:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000