Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 White Dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  10:26:59  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi...

What would be a good kind of creature for a mature adult white dragon to keep as pets or servants or protectors???

THX

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  15:40:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything with a similar love of cold environs...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  16:19:08  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking monstrously huge polar bears or maybe an ice-devil or two.

If the dragon caught some dwarves or orcs above ground out in the cold, it might have frozen them to death with its breath weapon so maybe its taken the time to animate each frozen corpse, making a standing (literally) army for itself to unleash against ground-based foes or aerial foes it can lure to the ground.

Here are two links to Wyrms of the North articles featuring white dragons. Might be some stuff you can borrow from these.

Arveiaturace, "The White Wyrm"

Arauthator, "Old White Death"

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 May 2012 16:24:28
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4435 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  16:53:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe there were some Frost specialized Kobolds that would work wonderfully as Dragon minions. I want to say they were in Frostfell or Dragon Magic supplements, but I'm not sure.

I also suggest tribes of humanoid like humans, orcs, and goblins that treat it like a God or great being and have some sort f dragon implemented into their culture
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  18:36:55  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A white dragon's low intelligence and simplistic, single-minded predatory nature might not make it a good choice as a leader of a group. It might be too hungry, or too distrusting, to allow any one else to exist nearby for long.

That said, perhaps an exceptional white dragon might deem suitable a remorhaz/polar worm, winter wolf/white worg/dire wolf, tundra yeti, taer, hill giant (NOT a frost giant), or bugbear.

The 1E/2E Draconomicon said that chromatics disfavor humanoids as slaves, for reasons of draconic status. So I imagine that a young, inexperienced white might start out with some lowly humanoids, but she'd move up to bigger minions just as soon as she was able.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 06 May 2012 18:39:30
Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  18:59:27  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mature White Dragon has 12 int, I would see that as intelligent enough to lead a group of followers...The thing is, you would be prudent to choose followers with a lower average int than the dragon herself.

I think Diffan'e Ice kobolds would be excellent, and maybe the big-bad boss kobold is a necromancer, raising the frozen bodies of adventurers, wildlife, etc into a sort of frozen zombie. Man, that sounds great.

Or maybe Ice Golems? I think they're listed in the Frostburn 3.5 supplement.

I'm going to put some thought into this and I'll be back...
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  21:04:00  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the input. It has proven most usefull!!!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  22:39:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xedrick

The mature White Dragon has 12 int, I would see that as intelligent enough to lead a group of followers...The thing is, you would be prudent to choose followers with a lower average int than the dragon herself.

The older and bigger they get, the hungrier they get, and that hunger outgrows their brains! They eat everything in sight to the point of famine, and then go into hibernation for decades. They don't demonstrate dietary discipline or wise foodstuff population management.

I don't think whites fear great intelligence--they only fear greater power (challenge rating?). If anything, they probably look down on brainpower, independent of more tangible shows of power.

So a white would probably choose as minion something slightly less powerful, regardless of intelligence. This would be a mark of pride for the dragon, without causing the white to feel intimidated or threatened.

Too powerful, and the white would just avoid it for fear.

Too much less powerful, and the white would consider it shamefully weak and eat it.

Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  06:49:56  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A minion with a higher intelligence than his boss could actually prove quite a plot twist...perhaps the dragon is being manipulated?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  17:14:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I don't remember what they are called, but those frost worms would work.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  18:21:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

Rhemoraz?

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  18:50:49  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I believe there were some Frost specialized Kobolds that would work wonderfully as Dragon minions. I want to say they were in Frostfell or Dragon Magic supplements, but I'm not sure.

I also suggest tribes of humanoid like humans, orcs, and goblins that treat it like a God or great being and have some sort f dragon implemented into their culture

I have been trying to find these "frost" kobolds... could you eleborate please? or link some info perhaps??

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  19:35:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider that the "stupid" white dragons are, on average, a little smarter than average humans. Of course, that's not always saying very much, really. Yet, these dragons are hardly just ravenous predators without any control over their bestial instincts. Many speak a number of languages, some practice magic - the sort of activities which usually indicate a more highly evolved sapience.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4435 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  20:25:21  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I have been trying to find these "frost" kobolds... could you eleborate please? or link some info perhaps??

Thanks

I thought they were in the Dragon Magic supplement but all I found was this:

Modern frostblood orcs still hail from the north but have since joined the rest of civilization, if only outlanders. They have pale white skin and catlike eyes, with stringy white or gray hair that grows quickly.

Otherwise, except as noted below, frostblood orcs are identical to the orcs described in the Monster Manual, and frostblood half-orcs are identical to the half-orcs described in the Player's Handbook.
—Dragonblood Subtype: Frostblood orcs and half-orcs are of the dragonblood subtype (see page 4).
—Resistance to Cold 10: Because their ancestors ingested the blood of great white dragons, all frostblood orcs and half-orcs are naturally resistant to damage from cold-based attacks.
—Endurance: Frostblood orcs and half-orcs have Endurance as a bonus feat. If a frostblood orc or half-orc would later gain Endurance as a bonus feat, he can select any other feat for which he qualifies.
-Vulnerability to Fire: Frostblood orcs and half-orcs share
the white dragon's vulnerability to fire-based attacks.

I'm sure the same sub-type could easily be applied to Kobolds as well. Sorry for the confusion.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  21:40:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frostblood kobolds... Would that be "frobolds"? Or maybe "coldkolds", for kobolds with some sort of ice/cold subtype...

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  21:56:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Consider that the "stupid" white dragons are, on average, a little smarter than average humans. Of course, that's not always saying very much, really. Yet, these dragons are hardly just ravenous predators without any control over their bestial instincts. Many speak a number of languages, some practice magic - the sort of activities which usually indicate a more highly evolved sapience.

Aye, their raw Int stats are higher than those of average humans. But don't let that fool you. As with horny humans, said to be guided by their "little heads", white dragons are usually led around by their stomachs! Int has very little to do with it.

According to the 4E MM, white dragons' magic seems to be tied into offensive attacks. Their magic is directly related to their predatory nature.

By "number of languages", the book says 2: Draconic and Common. That's no more than a common human.

Their role is listed as "Brute". That means something.

And they are not described as having minions, per sé, so much as scavenger hangers-on. They have underlings who gather their scraps, and apparently whites tolerate them, as long as they keep their distance.

The common types of scavenger are dragonborn and galeb duhr.

Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  22:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dire penguins!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4435 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  04:24:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Or maybe "coldkolds", for kobolds with some sort of ice/cold subtype...

Coldkolds sounds like a delicious hors d'oeuvre of wrapped up coldcut meat stuffed with a ranch-sour cream paste garnished with some sort of weedy, green plant.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  21:06:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

Rhemoraz?

-If that's what they're called!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  22:02:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Dire penguins!
FTW

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000