Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Maerimydra and V'elddrinnsshar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  22:52:24  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently dug up some lore snippets about Maerimydra:

Lake of Shadows - After discussions with Ed Greenwood, I learned that the route from Shadowdale to Maerimydra crossed a large subterranean lake. Hence, the lake. Details currently unknown.

On September 27, 2006 Eric Boyd said: Also note that they didn't put Maerimydra where I intended it to be in CotSQ, although the placement is reasonable. Drawing on a my conversation with Ed, I intended it to be under the Moonsea (or nearly so), as you can guess from a close reading of DDGttU. Basically the only real changes would be to make the connection via Haptooth Hill far less important and to make the infamous "sea drow" of "The Moonsea" part of this settlement (but in a radically different way than the rumors posited in "The Moonsea"). I had this weird idea at the time that the drow might have clear domes in the roof of their cavern popping up into the sea floor. So you could levitate up and stand in air on the floor of the Moonsea.

With all this in mind, I started thinking about V'elddrinnsshar, the ruined drow city of Lolth worshippers in the center of the Moondeep Sea. If Maerimydra was originally envisioned as on the southwestern shores of the Moondeep Sea, and V'elddrinnsshar was in the middle, what kind of relationship would these two cities have had?

Maerimydra was cited as the largest drow settlement in the Deep Wastes, so I was thinking perhaps this was a secondary settlement of the city. Heck, it could have originated as a stronghold of House Dhuurniv when they fell out of favor with the rest of clans in Maerimydra, or even founded by an exiled or rival faction from Maerimydra.

At any rate, we have two Lolth worshipping drow cities that were up until 1278 DR, functional cities in fairly close proximity to each other. I wonder what the relationship between the two were. "Allies", hated rivals, trading partners etc etc.

Another thing I was considering, V'elddrinnsshar was on an island and if I'm not mistaken, Ascomoids are a mobile fungus. I don't really see them swimming, so how could they get to the city? Maybe there is an aquatic version, but this almost sounds like an attack that brought the city low? Of course, a person could also say Ascomoid spores infected the entire city. Hmm, so many possibilities here.

What do you fellow scribes think?

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  03:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maerimydra -- or what became it in the sourcebooks -- was the main dark elf city in Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor campaign, home of those who ruled Shadowdale and kidnapped Sharantyr. It's an interesting question you've asked him: we know quite a bit about the differences between the original and published Realms, but not about this case.
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  01:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a shame Ed never managed to answer the question...I would love to know more.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  04:01:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

It's a shame Ed never managed to answer the question...I would love to know more.

Unless it's covered by an NDA, Ed will eventually answer... Lurue only knows when, but he'll get to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  04:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will keep my subscibed fingers crossed but I have noted (after much searching through archives and google results) that he has been strangely silent on any questions about Maerimydra...so I suppect a NDA or he is possibly wary of revealing info that might affect his home campaign.

The vigilant lore-watch shall continue.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 11 May 2012 04:57:21
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  08:21:04  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I recently dug up some lore snippets about Maerimydra:

Lake of Shadows - After discussions with Ed Greenwood, I learned that the route from Shadowdale to Maerimydra crossed a large subterranean lake. Hence, the lake. Details currently unknown.
[...]

It might be worth pointing out that in the published Realms (City of the Spider Queen, to be precise), the Lake of Shadows does not seem to lie on the direct route between Shadowdale and Maerimydra: while the Lake can be reached from both the Twisted Tower and Maerimydra, it appears, judging from the maps, that you can go from Maerimydra to Twisted Towers without crossing the Lake of Shadows, the three points forming a triangle, so to speak.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000