Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaign in and around Sespech - Ideas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  03:43:17  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, everyone! I've been lurking on this site for years and have always enjoyed reading many scribes' contributions to these forums. I have only registered a few months ago and haven't been very active since then, but now I have decided to post some information about the campaign I'm running, which is set in Sespech in 1374 DR and onwards. I'm particularly interested in the geography, demographics, and politics of the Realms, so I have developed some details on those subjects for Sespech and the surrounding areas, but not to a great extent (not yet, anyway). I'd hope to spark some discussion about that, partly because I so enjoy talking about it and partly so I can shamelessly steal some of your vast knowledge and creativity for my game.

So, for starters, this campaign is actually a series of short campaigns featuring different characters who are in Sespech. We are currently on the third installment, and they all happen in sequence, i.e. the events and characters of the first and second campaigns are part of the setting for the current one. I'm always DMing in concert with another DM, one for the first campaign and another for the following ones. Currently I'm more of an assistant to the DM, concerning myself mostly with world-building and everything setting-related, as that's what I like most. I'm going to send the main DM a link to this thread so he can follow it as well.

As for the campaign itself. In short, the first campaign was about a noble family with a recently deceased patriarch with a disputed succession facing accusations of treason; the second one was about a group of upstarts led by a noble wishing to carve a large piece of land for himself in the wilderness of the Golden Plains, and the third one is about Sespechian special operatives fighting off a Chondathian invasion meant to unseat King Aldorn Thuragar from the throne.

I have made a few changes (and a lot of assumptions and additions) to the canon material. For example, Aldorn Thuragar is a king, not a baron. It seemed weird to me for a place as large and self-governing as Sespech to be called a barony. More importantly, my Sespech has a considerably more feudal-like social and military organization than most of Faerūn. I thought that wasn't too far-fetched, as despite being in a crossroads position Sespech is a bit of a backwater place compared to Chondath and Turmish (I remember there was a recent thread about feudal armies in Faerūn, so I hope to get some attention, even if it's to say Sespech couldn't possibly be a feudal realm I'm aware there's a lot of stuff in the lore that would contradict it, and a ruler with the title of "baron" might indicate the place has lost any kind of vassalage relationships and keeps titles as tradition only, but hey...). Anyhow, I have divided the kingdom in various "counties" and "marches" (Language differences apply, as I'm Portuguese speaking). I'll look into a way of uploading the map I've made and link to it... I'm not skilled in graphical software so I've done it by hand and it's not so great, but oh well.

I will post more info about everything later, and maybe ask some direct questions you may be able to answer... right now my head is hurting though... I take a really long time to write a decent post! Also, it might be better if I organize the information into a coherent form instead of just writing a block of text. So stay tuned, I guess!

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 07 Feb 2013 15:41:09

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2012 :  19:17:13  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Map: http://mapolq.deviantart.com/#/d4whsil

Kingdom of Sespech

Capital: Ormpetarr (55,037)
Population: 952,560
Imports: Iron
Exports: Horses, Salt, Mercenaries

Main subdivisions of Sespech:

• County[1] of Alto Vassara[2] (Upper Vassara)

Capital: Alsiva (782)
    Population: 32,510

Alto Vassara is a hilly region compared to most of Sespech, and largely unpopulated except for the northwestern shore of the Nagawater and the banks of the Vassara river. Its settlement dates from a more recent time than that of the surrounding regions, but some families claim to have dwelled here since before the Rotting War, coming from Ormpetarr or upriver from Nimpeth. In addition to the rougher terrain, the presence of monstruous creatures in the nearby Winterwood has stalled civilization in this region for a long time, but now the land is mostly safe from incursions. Alto Vassara was in recent times a domain of the ruling family of Sespech, the Wiverfangs. They still own the land, despite having lost the crown to Aldorn Thuragar in 1364 DR. Count Worton Wiverfang, brother of the last king, has died in the past year and the succession of Alto Vassara is disputed by his late son's twins. The resulting imbroglio, in addition to suspected links of the Wiverfangs to the nation of Chondath, have prompted the crown to take direct control over much of the domain, an unpopular move for many in the Sespechian nobility. The county is ruled from the castle village of Alsiva, located a dozen miles inland from the Nagawater, set amid sheep and goat grazing ground.

• March of Arran

Capital: Isjela (3,354)
    Population: 69,870

The March of Arran is strategically important to the kingdom of Sespech, for here the 200 years old and 1500 feet long Emerald bridge crosses the lower Arran river connecting the kingdom to Chondath. The lands surrounding the course of the river are briny marshes and fertile floodplains where extensive agriculture has been practiced for centuries. As a result, the march has a relatively large population, even though there are few towns of note. Tar pits and alluvial tin deposits can be found on the lowlands as well, being partly explored by locals. The most notable structure in the march besides the Emerald bridge is Fort Arran, recently built by the crown to protect the realm from the threat from Chondath. Around a thousand royal troops, popularly called the "Purple Feathers", are stationed in Fort Arran at all times. These professional soldiers form the bulk of the nascent Sespechian royal army, and their presence here reassures Marquis Emil Hethemm, a staunch supporter of the regime of Ormpetarr.

• County of Bavia

Capital: Bavia (1,237)
    Population: 22,200

The county of Bavia is dominated by the wild plains of the Serpents' Holding, though the land slopes upwards in the northwest, breaking into a valley near the Wintercloak river. Settlement is extremely sparse except for the shore of the Nagawater, and the western boundary of the county is not well defined. The small town of Bavia, the largest community in the region, serves as Count Iveon Blorhen's seat of government. His home is a small keep overlooking the village, known as Taneion's Keep. A few miles from the town along the coast is the oldest structure in the county, a castle known as the Tower of Bavia, its central keep built in the tenth century DR. The keep was soon abandoned for unknown reasons and then reclaimed and expanded by the Blorhen family in 1298 DR. Located in an island in the Nagawater which connects to the mainland in periods of drought, the castle has extensive dungeons, which have given it notoriety as a prison. Though it has been permanently inhabited by humans for the last few centuries, Bavia has only been brought into Sespechian rule in 1321 DR. It has remained one of the most fiercely independent domains in the realm, though it holds little political or military might.

• County of Elbulder

Capital: Elbulder (12,701)
    Population: 125,730

The county of Elbulder has the shape of a triangle which sides are the Arran river to the south, its tributary, the Daudarth river to the north and the Chondalwood to the east. The county is mostly fertile plains, rising subtly as one approaches the forest. Settlement in the region dates from the sixth century DR, when the village of Elbulder was established on the banks of the Arran and profited from lumbering in the nearby woods. Gradually the forest started to recede, but the resistance of the wild elves of Nikerymath and the founding of the Emerald Enclave in the eighth century greatly diminished the extent of logging operations. The community of Elbulder, now a large town, survived both the loss of most of the lumber business and the horrors of the Rotting War to become a city in the kingdom of Sespech. Today there is still some logging in the eastern parts of the domain, but the economy has diversified to include agriculture, cattle and sheep raising, weaving and tanning, among other activities. Elbulder is also the best and safest place in Sespech to look for arcane implements and resources, mainly due to the influence of the city's mayor, Gavilon Jostins. The ruler of the county, Countess Élue Veshpir has some reservations about the mayor, but does not dare to be too outspoken about it due to her rival's previous affiliations with the king. An interesting site in the county are the Saltos das Criptas (Cryptfalls), a series of old stonework burial grounds of unknown origin that rest besides waterfalls in the Daudarth river. Tales abound of creatures living in the half-collapsed tunnels and prowling the woodlands at night: restless ghosts, a Malarite cult or a cadre of vampires with wilderness habits, depending on who tells the story.

• County of Flanco Oriental (Eastflank)

Population: 39,950

This region of Sespech is covered with hills and woodlands near the Chondalwood, and flatter around the lower and upper Arran. This region was first settled by loggers and hunters in the sixth century DR, but those settlements did not last long against the creatures of the forest. Later, in the tenth century, a new wave of colonists came, and now the higher plains in the east are populated largely by cattle ranchers and horse breeders, while the northern reaches are to this day mostly devoid of people and retaken by the Chondalwood. In the central region of the county, many standing stones can be found, giving glimpses of an ancient past. Some who have tried to make sense of the monolithic structures believe they may hold a clue to the elven city of Rucien-Xan, but most sages believe they have been erected either by primitive human peoples or the wood giants, also called voadkyn. Flanco Oriental is also the site of a holy place for Eldath's church, the Grutas da Serenidade (Grottoes of Serenity), a complex of caves and natural water pools which have sheltered early members of the church and are said to be blessed by the goddess. The lower depths of the caves have not been fully explored, and some suppose they may connect to the Underdark. If that is the case, the place may need to be guarded against despoiling from below. The ruler of Flanco Oriental is Countess Yessra Valta, an aging and complacent woman who doesn't appreciate ruling, and leaves most matters of state to her court.

• March of Mimph

Capital: Mimph (27,518)
    Population: 179,630

This northernmost region of Sespech also contains the largest stretch of maritime coast in the kingdom by far. Sandy beaches span the coastline from the Arran Bay to the Bay of Nimpeth, and the coastal plain forms most of the landscape, only broken by low forested hills as one goes south. The old walled city of Mimph, first founded in 92 DR, serves as the main port, its traffic second only to Ormpetarr in the kingdom. The city is known for its artistic and traditional glass-making, and its many furnaces that produce weapons, armour and cannon. The lowlands are densely settled, with several important towns and numerous smaller villages. An ancient and well-travelled road leaves from Mimph to the city of Nimpeth in the west, but only ox trails connect the march with the rest of Sespech. Marquise Saermina Chivellt has resumed plans to build a road between Mimph and Isjela, but the project has a shortage of funds due to most of the march's treasury being diverted to the construction of warships, in accordance to directives issued by the crown and agreed upon by the Marquise after the War of Liberation in 1364 DR. Mimph's 28 warships of various sizes form the bulk of the Sespechian navy, and attempt to patrol the waters of the Vilhon Reach against depredations caused by pirates and Chondathian corsairs. A recent earthquake has caused minor damage to the city of Mimph and its environs, but the collapse of a hillside by the sea has also revealed a ruined section of an ancient city, probably of Jhaamdathan origin.

• March of Monte da Vigia (Watchmount)

Capital: Fulsdon (1,452)
    Population: 23,920

Like many regions of southern Sespech, the march of Monte da Vigia was first inhabited by nomads of Shaarian stock. The first permanent settlements, however, were built here during the eighth century DR by the people of Elbulder, who by this time were in the process of extending the Old Road and their domains far to the southeast, around the Chondalwood and in the direction of the city of Torsch. After the Rotting War, however, their lands never extended further away than the fords of Nagaford and Roaringford, but many people from the Shaar have come to live in their lands. The march's name comes from a prominent hill south of the Arran river which used to have a tower from where the militia of Elbulder could discern enemies coming from the south or the west. Now the main settlement in the march, Fulsdon, is located much further south. It is traditionally the seat of the marquis, but this title is currently held by King Aldorn Thuragar himself, who is a native of Monte da Vigia and widely acclaimed by its people. East of Fulsdon, near the Chondalwood, there is a site called the Hulangar, where thermal vents and hot springs, often with strange colours, are very commonplace. Few people come to the area, however, since there have been sightings of nagas in the Hulangar ever since it was discovered by humans.

• March of Nagaflow

Capital: Travessia de Ior (Ior's Crossing) (896)
    Population: 4,930

The march of Nagaflow consists primarily of plains, which are more fertile in the south and west and drier in the north and east. There are a few elevations and woodlands in certain regions, as well as a swamp in the Nagaflow delta, where he town of Travessia de Ior is located. In the largely unexplored wilderness, there is believed to be a deposit of copper, as well as a salt plain thought to be a dried lake bed and known as the Salares de Thorsten (Thorsten's Saltpans). Nagaflow is the newest large domain to be created in the kingdom of Sespech, and the least populous. In fact, this new march is currently a crown domain, usurped from the control of Marquis Falz Krivand of Via Įurea in Nightal, 1374 DR. The crown claimed the marquis was allowing the region to be overtaken by the city-state of Innarlith, ever since the completion of Nagaflow Keep by the Innarlans in 1361 DR. The recent news that speak of something stirring in the wilderness have done nothing to help. Most people agree, however, that the crown's motives are twofold: firstly, Falz Krivand is reviled by many in the court for being a remnant of the old Chondathian-led regime, despite having supported Thuragar's war, and secondly, the crown is attempting to secure the northern banks of the Nagaflow so that the northern terminus of the Innarlan Canal, which is being built for the last decade and suffered a recent setback, will sit on Sespechian territory. To appease the nobles who feel the king has been concentrating too much power, however, the crown has promised to grant the lands and the title of marquis to whoever is able to pacify the Nagaflow and bring it into Sespechian rule definitively. The act has caused mixed feelings, but several hopefuls have journeyed to the march with the intention of becoming the new marquis. These include one of the sons of Count Laius Greylander of Terra Alta, Bastian Greylander, and a mysterious moon-elven lady named Sanae Silmedil.

• County of Ormpetarr

Capital: Ormpetarr (55,037)
    Population: 233,180

The county of Ormpetarr is actually a crown domain. In theory, King Aldorn Thuragar also holds the title of Count, but the distinction is usually forgotten in practice. The main features of the county are the farmlands of the northern coast of the Nagawater, where extensive grain fields, orchards, olive groves and vegetable gardens fill the landscape except for the odd town or forested hill, and the ancient city of Ormpetarr, capital of Sespech and by far the largest city in the kingdom, rivaling Shining Arrabar in size. The city of Ormpetarr may be the oldest continually inhabited settlement in the Vilhon Reach, as the records indicate it was an outpost of the Twelve Cities of the Sword that survived the fall and was subjugated by the nation of Chondath in 205 DR. People who dig basements and sewers in the Old City District often come into contact with the daily utensils of the times of old, and once in a while with even more interesting artifacts and buried chambers. In more recent centuries, a wave of colonists of Shaarian descent arrived from the south and intermingled somewhat with the Chondathians. King Aldorn Thuragar and his court reside here, in Castle Thindath, a large fortress in the capital with a grand courtyard, which serves as a military post, palatial residence, gathering spot for festivals and place for court sessions. Those in the royal army who are not stationed in Fort Arran are usually found here, but the king also maintains a town guard, under the auspices of mayor Sivas Cordierr, and a provincial militia from where most recruits of the royal army are taken.

• County of Passo Virraj (Virrajford)

Capital: Passo Virraj (Virrajford) (2,771)
    Population: 26,670

The county of Passo Virraj is named for the important ford which crosses the Arran river in the south of the county. Chondathian settlement in this region dates from the fourth century DR, but conflict with Shaarian nomads limited their expansion south. The Rotting War in 902 DR caused a further decline in population, though in recent centuries, a new wave of Chondathian colonists and Shaarians who abandoned their nomadic lifestyle have been settling here. Around the ford itself the small town of Passo Virraj has grown, prospering from the trade that passes along the Virraj Trail, a cattle trail which is the major overland link between east and west Sespech. The county is made mostly of low-lying plains in the north that slope up until one finds himself in the Golden Plains. Low canyons follow the banks of the Arran north of the ford. Most of the country is dedicated to cattle and horse ranching, as in a large part of rural Sespech, but recently the innovation of smokepowder brought about the production of saltpeter from biological waste, now relatively widespread in the region. Saltpeter made here is shipped to Ormpetarr and Mimph, where alchemists create the smokepowder. Little love is lost between the ambitious Countess Kemneera Rudith and the king, as she feels the county of Passo Virraj was too poor a prize for her house's intervention during the War of Liberation. Still, she is determined to see her lands flourish, and actively promotes settlement in the county, instructing her vassals to do the same in their domains.

• March of Prados de Ouro (Golden Prairies)

Capital: Vila Marsegot (Marsegot Town) (1,088)
    Population: 11,590

Prados de Ouro is the most sparsely populated of the larger domains of Sespech, save perhaps for the new March of Nagaflow. Here the Golden Plains extend over the entire region between the Nagaflow and Arran rivers. The plains consist of a fertile outer ring replete with the characteristic golden grasses that give them their name, and a semi-arid region in the center with sparser vegetation. Permanent human settlements in the march date from the twelfth century DR, though cattle herders used the area for pasture in much earlier times. The largest town is Vila Marsegot, born of an agglomeration of ranches and named for the famous pioneer Corrhen Marsegot who in the last century is said to have killed dozens of centaurs and outlaws. Marquis Oder Naufel, one of the two remaining marquises from the time of the last dynasty, makes his home there. Two tribes of centaurs, numbering anywhere from a few hundreds to a few thousands live in the plains of the march and resist human expansion. Recently one of the tribes has destroyed a dam meant to provide a new settlement with water, and now threatens to kill the settlers if they don't retreat from their lands. Curiously, quality steel weapons have been found with these centaurs, a departure from their usual primitive weaponry. A reclusive tribe of human nomads of Shaarian stock and adopted Calishite culture called the Talu-min also makes the Golden Plains their home, and apparently has some sort of treaty with the centaurs.

• County of Seis Estāncias (Six Estates)

Population: 83,720

This domain was one of the first regions of Sespech to be settled by Chondathians in the second century DR. With the Nikerymath having receded in the most part to the east of the Arran river, grassy plains were open for agriculture and the raising of cattle and horses. Centuries after the first settlers arrived, most of the land was owned by six Chondathian families which kept manorial estates there, giving the region its present name. Only two of those estates still remain in some form, the rest having been abandoned during the Rotting War or in later years. One of them, a large walled villa in the north of the domain, now serves as home to Count Flenvar Whitemane, the lord of Seis Estāncias. The other, called Estāncia dos Oito Ventos (The Eight Winds Estate) is now owned by merchants who have turned the main building into an inn. Today the county has a sizable population, including a significant Shaarian minority. Besides the traditional cattle and horse breeding, the county also boasts two small salt mines and one important silver mine, known as Minas dos Rochedos (Mines of the Crags). The silver mine has been taken over three years ago by a blue dragon named Serysshontal, who has been charging Lord Whitemane a protection fee so that his subjects can continue working the mine.

• County of Terra Alta (Highlands)

Population: 41,510

The highlands of Terra Alta are the highest elevations in Sespech, although they are no higher than 2000 feet. The terrain is hilly near the Chondalwood, where much wool is produced, and flatter in the south, the domain of cattle ranchers and farmers. The county was settled in the sixth century DR, around the same time as Elbulder was founded, the Old Road was established and loggers started clearing the Chondalwood. Today, no major logging operations take place in Terra Alta, as every initiative in the past century has been met with deadly tricks and some overt attacks by satyrs and other kinds of fey, which have terrorized the population. Count Laius Greylander, a stern man who rules with an iron fist, wishes to change that state of affairs, and is paying mercenaries to root out the fey from their lairs. This policy is bound to attract unwanted attention from the Emerald Enclave, however, and maybe even the xenophobic wild elves. The count holds nothing but contempt for both groups, so he is proceeding with his plans.

• March of Vale Vassara (Vassaradale)

Population: 55,940

The March of Vale Vassara is one of the richest regions of Sespech, after the highly urbanized coasts of the Reach and the northern Nagawater. The valley has been populated by over a thousand years by settlers from the cities of Mimph and Nimpeth, and the border between the march and the principality of Nimpeth has changed often across the centuries. The Vassara river winds through low rolling hills dotted with vines tended by the local farmers. Most Sespechian wine is made here, but it rarely sees the foreign markets, as it has been eclipsed in quality and fame by the Nimpethian varieties. The county has a few castles and small towns of some importance, as well as a salt mine and a marble quarry. Slave labour was used more extensively here than in most of the kingdom until the king made the practice unlawful in the whole of Sespech in 1370 DR. This has angered local landowners including Marquis Divaro Riquav.

• March of Via Įurea (Golden Way)

Capital: Paragem do Trevo (Crossroads Stop) (1,577)
    Population: 24,640

The march of Via Įurea straddles the Golden Road from the neighborhood of Ormpetarr to the Nagaflow river. Most of the march is covered by the tall grasses of the Golden Plains. Settlements in this area were few and far between until the completion of the Golden Road in 1288 DR, and today still the population is sparse, except for a narrow strip along the road, and mostly comprised of Shaarians. Marquis Falz Krivand rules the march from his walled compound in the town of Paragem do Trevo, located in the point where the Serpent's Way branches from the Golden Road. The economy consists primarily of cattle raising and horse breeding. The horse breeds of Via Įurea are considered to be the best in Sespech, and the marquis' son, Lord Meric Krivand, has taken much interest in them. A good number of gnolls live in the march, sometimes raiding small caravans and attacking lone travellers. Recently, however, these gnolls have become even more aggressive, having pillaged and burned a village near Paragem do Trevo. Some people speculate that they have been driven away from their homes in the interior and in the lands now known as the march of Nagaflow. The crossing of the Nagaflow in the south is done by boat, and due to the threat of the nagas they only stay on the river for the time needed to make the crossing. Baron Moros Zolfass of Arsh contemplates building a bridge on the site, but he would need much outside support for such an undertaking, as the river is over 500 feet wide and the nagas might not be pleased.

Principality of Nimpeth

Capital: Nimpeth (12,375) [3]
Population: 25,700 [3]
Imports: Grain, Iron
Exports: Wine, Slaves, Mercenaries

The principality of Nimpeth is a tiny nation on the shores of the Vilhon Reach. Its capital, the city of Nimpeth, hugs the western bank of the Vassara river where it empties into the bay of Nimpeth. The terrain slopes up to the south as the coastal plain gives way to the reaches of the Winterwood. Prince Norvelio Woren is the overlord of Nimpeth, and he has complete control of all lands between the often contested border with Sespech and the river, plus a narrow strip of coast to the northwest of the capital. The Nimpethians also claim a large expanse of land between the Reach and the Winterwood, sometimes extending even to the town of Lachom in the foothills of the Cloven Mountains. Those few people who inhabit these lands are usually free from Nimpeth's interference, however.

The power of the principality of Nimpeth rests on four pillars. The first pillar is commerce. Nimpeth is home to many rich merchants, merchant consortiums and financial institutions, such as the secretive society known as "the Dozen", the Nimpethian Banking League, which invests in many businesses at home and abroad, and the Vilhon-Alamber Trading Company, with its sizable merchant fleet. The second pillar is agriculture, including the production of fruit, olive oil, flax, cotton and most importantly, wine. Among the wines of Nimpeth are some of the most prized in the entirety of Faerūn, and as such they command very high prices. Prince Woren himself owns the largest producing company, the sprawling Woren Vineyards. The third pillar is slave labour. The city of Nimpeth, as well as its well-developed interior, was largely built by slaves. Extraordinary feats of engineering, such as the Citadel of Carifar and the Woren Vineyards were only possible through the work of thousands of slaves. The slave trade has been in a steady decline with the lack of large scale conflict in the region, however, and most new acquisitions are either indebted men, criminals or purchased from lands such as Chessenta. The fourth pillar is the fleet. Nimpeth counts with thirty five warships which serve as escorts in times of peace, and is able to acquire many more from private fleets based on its port. The naval complement was recently increased, with logging operations being established on the outskirts of the Winterwood to provide good timber for shipbuilding. It now includes a large number of galleys powered by both oars manned by slaves and sails, as well as many modern sailing ships, all of them very well-crewed. Admiral Mazaro Taramont commands the fleet from the galleon Wine & Song.

Nimpeth does not have a standing army, except for the Palatial Guard which garrisons the Citadel of Carifar. Many mercenary companies, such as the four hundred strong Company of the Crushed Grapes, are based here, however, and the prince counts on them for defence. Combined with the naval power and the outstanding city fortifications, they have prevented Nimpeth from being conquered since the days of the Rotting War when it became independent of Chondath. Nimpeth has a bitter enmity with the nation of Chondath, which has attempted to reannex it twice, in 982 DR and 1109 DR, failing in both tries. Nimpethians conduct business carefully, especially with their old enemies. Their relationship with the kingdom of Sespech is that of a more friendly rivalry. Merchants from Nimpeth and Mimph usually have opposing interests, and the cities often engage in competitions of wealth, each one trying to outdo the other. In only one thing the citizens of both can agree: they will all be better off when Arrabar goes up in flames.

Confederation of Chondath

Capital: Arrabar (61,012)
Population: 1,982,880
Imports: Iron
Exports: Lumber, Salt, Mercenaries, Spices

Chondath is a proud nation with a long history, dating from the time when the first refugees from the drowned empire of Jhaamdath settled in the new shores of the Vilhon Reach. The Confederation of Chondath, however, was born of the treaty of Nun and the Charter of Confederation, both signed in the year of 964 DR between the cities of Arrabar, Hlath, Iljak, Samra and Shamph. Recovering from the wake of the Rotting War, the five cities decided to put an end to the infighting that led to the catastrophe of 902 DR and rebuild their nation, objectives they have only partially achieved. According to the Charter of Confederation, Chondath is ruled by the Council of Lords, which consists of the five heads of state of the member cities. The First Lord, currently Eles Wianar of Arrabar, is the head of state of all Chondath, and every five years, any member of the council can call for a vote to select a new First Lord. Due to the inner politics of the nation, however, the Lord of Arrabar has invariably been selected as First Lord for the past 82 years, and the city, which is traditionally regarded as the capital of Chondath due to its imperial past, has come to take for granted its leading role in Chondathian politics. In fact, the First Lord is holding to the the reins of power so strongly that the other Lords would fear some kind of retaliation if they even so much as called for an election.

Geographically, Chondath consists mainly of a eight hundred kilometre-long and one hundred kilometre-wide strip of coast between the Vilhon Reach and the Chondalwood, the Nunwood and the Blade Kingdoms. Most of the country is spanned by the Emerald Corridor, a wide and well-travelled road that is often seen as the lifeblood of Chondath. From west to east, the Emerald Corridor crosses four slightly distinct regions. The Shining Coast stretches from the mouth of the Arran to beyond the ruins of Mussum, a land of warm, gentle plains and pleasant beaches dominated by the city of Arrabar. Further east is the densely populated Emerald Triangle, an extremely fertile promontory where the cities of Iljak, Samra and Shamph are located. Continuing east are the Fields of Nun, slightly less profitable farmlands plagued by monster attacks, and finally, to the northeast lie the Straitshores, a narrow strip of fertile land bordering the Nunwood, where the city of Hlath is found. A fifth geographical region is often included when one talks about Chondath: the Fringes. Those are the rolling hills and valleys that border the Chondalwood, and are the sites of a millenium-long contention between Chondath and the forest denizens. Control of these lands switched hands often through the centuries, but currently the Chondathians seem to be gaining the upper hand.

Despite not being an empire in name for many centuries, imperial aspirations are alive and well in the whole of Chondath, and especially in the west. A great number of Chondathians see the Vilhon Reach as a historically Chondathian sea, and hostile actions against Sespech, Nimpeth, Hlondeth, Reth and other minor states on its shores are usually popular. Some more extreme nostalgics have even founded the "Greater Chondath Society", a private institution that purportedly only seeks the well-being of all Chondathians at home and abroad, but not so secretly wishes for the nation of Chondath to lead the entirety of the Chondathan-speaking world as the paragon of human civilization. Chondath has a warlike culture and a history of well-trained mercenaries, making it the foremost regional military power. The cities have capable, if not numerous, war fleets. Despite practitioners of the Art being generally shunned by the population, a great number of nobles and well-to-dos are secretly wizards, and the Lords of Chondath count on many of those for their exploits. Nobility enjoys a few traditional rights in Chondath, but is seldom directly linked to the land anymore. Still, nobles are usually very rich and have entire armies of mercenaries at their disposal, making their support essential for any large undertaking by the government.

Main subdivisions of Chondath:

• Dominion of Arrabar

Capital: Arrabar (61,012)
    Population: 669,710

The Dominion of Arrabar is practically the same as the stretch of coast known as the Shining Coast, plus a small interior which is in great part being swallowed by the Chondalwood, leaving many ruins thick with undergrowth on its southern border. A few farmsteads and strongholds such as Sarketh Castle have been reclaimed in recent years, however, and stand watch over the Savage Wood. In the southwest, the Dominion of Arrabar ends at the Arran river, which marks the border with the Kingdom of Sespech. The river margins are frequently patrolled by Chondathian militia, and small keeps are garrisoned by mercenaries in more troubled times such as now. The city of Arrabar itself most famous and most important in the nation, and being founded in 50 DR, is also arguably the second oldest after Iljak, though Samra disputes this claim. Arrabar is at the terminus of both the Golden Road and the Emerald Corridor, and its port is extremely busy with commerce. The city is divided into five districts, the central one being the Government District, the skyline of which is dominated by the Generon, the resplendent palace of the Lord of Arrabar, Eles Wianar. The city is the main home of the greatest number of noble houses of all the cities of Chondath[4], and their haughty scions and large private armies are constantly seen on the streets. Arrabar is also home to the Academia Vilhonus, once a bardic college, and now an active, albeit decadent, center of sagely pursuits. Outside Arrabar, many towns dot the landscape, notably Thelgauble, Arkhelar and Mlietar alond the Emerald Corridor, and the ruined and plagued city of Mussum in the shore over one hundred and fifty kilometres east of Arrabar. The countryside near the shore is crisscrossed by lesser roads and dotted with villages, farms, olive groves and spice plantations taking almost all available land, except for a ring surrounding Mussum. The coast is also exploited for the production of sea salt. The woodlands near the Chondalwood are much more sparsely populated, but there are logging operations active, despite the dangers, and some outposts that have grown into villages in their own right. In the spirit of a new Chondathian resurgence, Lord Eles Wianar has been attempting to find the cause behind the plague that afflicts Mussum, to resettle those rich lands abandoned so long ago. He may need all the help he can find, both from Chondath and from abroad.

• Duchy of Hlath

Capital: Hlath (23,969)
    Population: 471,280

The Duchy of Hlath spans almost the whole region known as the Fields of Nun, including the Nun river valley up to two hundred kilometres upriver from the Nun delta, plus the Straitshores and the Nunwood up to the slopes of the Akanapeaks, including some territory north of the woods, which is also claimed by the Free City of Reth. Alone among Chondath's subdivisions, the Duchy of Hlath retains the old feudal naming conventions, mostly due to the fact that the noble House Shennelm of Nun has been in power in here since those old times, and likes to cling to its special status. From 1342 DR, when it engaged Iljak in an all-out war, to 1369 DR, the Duchy of Hlath was on the verge of formally declaring its independence from Chondath, and Duke Darvis Shennelm often gave inflammatory speeches against Eles Wianar and the other Lords. During that time, Chondathian influence rarely extended beyond the town of Nun. In the wake of the 1369 DR war with Airspur, however, Hlath bowed to Chondathian demands in order to retain its territory and avoid defeat at the hands of the Chessentans, and the whole Duchy is under Chondathian, that is, Arrabaran, control, though it is more tenuous here than in the rest of the country. Hlath itself is a moderately prosperous walled city which explores lumber and other resources from the Nunwood and the bounties of the Vilhon Reach. Most of the farmland is in the Fields of Nun, and is not as fertile or populated as the rest of Chondath, though settlements in the Nun valley are expanding. The Malander valley near the Chondalwood was annexed in 1372 DR as Duke Darvis offered the robber baron previously self-styled "Crowned Lord" Faelae Windthrarn the title of Marquis of Malander, as well as some additional land and the promise of protection against creatures of the Savage Wood. The Duchy's expansion is threatened, however, by the increases in appearance of highly organized packs of leucrotta, who often terrorize and even slaughter whole hamlets in the countryside. In addition, the ages old trade war between Hlath and Iljak continues to this day, and even skirmishes between mercenary groups hired by those cities are not uncommon. The Lord of Hlath rarely sees eye to eye with his Iljakian counterpart on anything, though his domains' granaries depend heavily on produce from the west. The Duke frequently employs pirates from the Pirate Isles to harass his enemies' vessels, an activity now essentially restricted to Reth's shipping.

• Dominion of Iljak

Capital: Iljak (17,432)
    Population: 302,900

The Dominion of Iljak is a relatively small expanse of land covering the western side of the Emerald Triangle. However, due to the extraordinary quality of the earth in the promontory, efficient farming techniques and optimal distribution of land, it is one of the breadbaskets of Chondath, and even more densely settled than the Shining Coast. Just about anything that can grow in the warm Vilhon climate is cultivated here, particularly grains, fruit, olives, and some spices. Fish catches are also plentiful, and salt is collected from the coast. The land is long rumoured to be blessed by Chauntea or some other nature power, which brings the Earthmother more worship here than in most of the nation. The bulk of Iljakians, especially the ones resident in the city proper, dismiss that as legend, however. Iljak is ruled by Potentate Anton Yinoran in a widely accepted autocracy. The worst offence usually hurled at the Potentate (in his eyes) is that he is a willing puppet of Eles Wianar, and that Iljak lacks any actual self-reliance. The Lord publicly ignores such comments, but they hold more truth than he would like to acknowledge. The city of Iljak, with its newly completed walls, is a strong and busy port, and generally regarded by sages as the oldest city in Chondath, with the first document identifying it as such dating from 20 DR. The city is also the site of the largest temple in Chondath, the House of the Guardian, a place of worship dedicated to Helm and competently led by Revered Watcher Tonorak Winthrax, who has growing spiritual and secular influence over the people of the nation. All the while, Iljak is waging a trade war with Hlath that goes on for centuries. The most important episode of this war in recent history was in 1342 DR, when Iljak was torched by mercenaries under Hlathian pay. Anton Yinoran still wishes the Duke to answer for that atrocity, but conflict these days is of a more limited fashion, including sporadic skirmishes in the Fields of Nun and piracy sponsored by both cities. The Arrabaran-led war on Sespech has also meant that Iljakians and Hlathians have to tolerate each other for the time being. Corsairs under Iljakian service are less than happy with the state of affairs, though, as they have been forbidden to attack Hlathian vessels and ordered to board any ship headed for or coming from Mimph instead. The catch is that those vessels are few and far between, and usually travel in convoys escorted by the powerful fleet of Mimph, making them tough, paltry prizes compared to Hlathian merchant galleys and cogs.

• Republic of Samra

Capital: Samra (11,360)
    Population: 226,930

The Republic of Samra sits on the eastern part of the Emerald Triangle, opposite to Iljak. The land is similarly fertile, though the amount of arable land in Samra is considerably smaller, with the eastern coast consisting of jagged cliffs giving way to the Fields of Nun as one walks away from the sea. This has meant that the Republic has traditionally turned to the Vilhon Reach as well as the land for feeding its citizens, and as such, the fishing fleet of Samra is remarkably large for its population. Samra is ruled by officials elected by popular vote. Although any able man or woman over the age of twenty-five can run for an office, the elected ones are usually respected elders from the city and outlying villages. These officials, in turn, elect a Lord Mayor every ten years, who acts as the Republic's head of state. Currently the office is held by Lord Mayor Malil Entwine. The people of Samra are peaceful as far as Chondathians go, and view the war between Iljak and Hlath as a waste of life, time and resources. They refuse to play any part on their conflicts, and frown on Shamph and Arrabar for their indifferent, and sometimes even warmongering behaviours. That pacifistic stance of the Republic does not extend, necessarily, to Chondath's other neighbours, however. In past centuries, the city of Samra was actually nothing more than a town of a few thousand, and for that reason, the Republic of Samra was often branded "the weak man of Chondath". In the past century, though, shrewd negotiation from the part of the Samran Chamber of Commerce has resulted in booming prosperity for the port, much to the chagrin of the Iljakians and other coastal city-states. From 1300 DR the population of the city of Samra has more than tripled, and it can now proudly consider itself a city in the same league as its fellow members of the Confederacy. The Republic of Samra can no longer be dismissed in Chondathian affairs, as the Lord Mayor is keenly aware. Unfortunately for him, so are his political enemies in and outside Samra.

• Republic of Shamph

Capital: Shamph (32,685)
    Population: 312,060

The Republic of Shamph is located inland from the Emerald Triangle, and benefits from little of its rich soil. Still, the Republic territory is far larger than that of the other cities of the triangle combined, with a comparable population, which lends to a considerable agricultural surplus, especially of grain. The reestablishment of settlements in the Fringes in the last decades has led to a huge increase in the lumber trade, and also to a burgeoning wine market. The ruins of Timindar and Orbech are under revitalization, and though there have been clashes with satyrs, voadkyn, pixies and wild elves, as well as veiled threats from the Emerald Enclave, the Republic is prospering from the initiative. Shamph also has the only significant precious metal deposit in Chondath, a few dozen kilometres southwest of the city proper. It is a silver mine, which is wholly owned by the State and used to mint coins and pay governmental costs. The Republic is ruled indirectly by the Chamber of Electors, nine elected officials who themselves elect thirty senators to deal with legislation and a Consul to act as head of state every ten years. It is a very similar system to that of Samra, except for the fact that the position of elector is lifelong, and due to a weighted vote system, replacements are almost guaranteed to come from wealthy or noble families. The current head of state is Consul Tian Redown, and he and his administration are keen on preserving Shamph's reputation as a law-abiding trading haven. One of his most pressing concerns in the last few years is the robber baron known as "High Battle Baron" Murtrim Tarphin, who seized the then ruined keep of Curtym in the Fringes between Timindar and Orbech and refuses to acknowledge the authority of the Republic and, by extension, of the Confederation of Chondath, over his personal fief. He has been attracting settlers to his lands and sponsoring bandits to raid caravans and intimidate pioneers who are loyal to the Republic. Murtrim has proven difficult to neutralize, especially with the war in Sespech going on, and if someone could convince the Chamber and the Consul that they could drive him out by force of arms or eliminate him in another fashion, they would probably gain some bargaining power with them. Shamph is ostensibly neutral in the war between Iljak and Hlath, but in reality it profits by offering services to both sides, and allowing mercenaries to pass in either direction through their territory. Agents from Shamph are even known for playing their rivals against one another to the benefit of the Republic.

[1] As in the domain of a Count.
[2] Homebrew name of the outlet of the Nagawater. I believe it's called Nagaflow somewhere in the lore, but I wished it to have a different name than the larger river that empties into the lake.
[3] Number of citizens. Nimpeth has around three slaves for each free man and woman.
[4] Including all the families described in this article by Ed, with minor tweaking: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/rumors/rumor5.htm

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

Edited by - Mapolq on 29 Nov 2013 18:28:25
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  18:17:26  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Campaign Log

Chapter 1 - A Heranēa do Conde (The Count's Bequest)

Flamerule, 1374 DR

Count Worton Wiverfang of Alto Vassara died in his bedchamber in the fifth day of Flamerule, leaving a delicate situation to be resolved. His eldest child, Alther, had a couple of twins, named Kareene and Wolfgang, before dying on a hunting trip to the Winterwood. The twins' mother, Orélia Naufel, daughter of Marquis Oder Naufel of Prados de Ouro, claimed that her daughter Kareene was the firstborn and thus heir to Alto Vassara, while Alther's younger brother Ermac, a member of the Emerald Enclave and the one who delivered the babies, insisted that Wolfgang had been born first. The children were raised separately by Orélia and Ermac respectively, each believing on their rights to the domain. When Count Worton died, an envoy from the High Heralds, who were aware of the situation for years, was sent to Alsiva to negotiate the succession.

In parallel, Sespechian spies under payment from Lord High Treasurer Argalaf Mordul kidnapped a Chondathian adventurer and gambler named Ganon, who was the paramour of Calliel, the half-elven bastard of Alther Wiverfang and a sorceress of no small power. Tricking her into storming one of their hideouts in Chondath in search of Ganon, they captured her and accused her of dangerous use of arcane magic and high treason for supposedly working for the Chondathians. While temporarily imprisoned in Fort Arran, Calliel managed to slip a message to her kin in Alto Vassara, who recieved it in the midst of the confusion after Count Worton's death.

Reaching no conclusion regarding the succession, Kareene and Wolfgang decided to set out to rescue their half-sister, fearing both for her life and what she could be made to say about the Wiverfangs' numerous contacts and investments in Chondath. Sānara, their cousin and a priestess of Eldath, and Ozzer, their step-brother, went with them. They managed to intercept Calliel's prison carriage along the Golden Road as she was being moved to Ormpetarr for a public execution. Calliel was freed, but the twins were seen and recognized.

Eleasias, 1374 DR

Kareene and Wolfgang Wiverfang, as well as Calliel, were summoned to Ormpetarr for a trial, under penalty of death and loss of titles. Before they replied, they were contacted by an old friend of Worton's and manager of many of the Wiverfangs' investments, Janus Morgreant. He advised them to comply with the crown's demands, but make ready for an escape if needed. The twins agreed with him and journeyed to Ormpetarr where they would be tried by the Royal Court.

Arriving there, they were allowed freedom within the castle for coming willingly. Janus and the others had one day to try to learn the intentions of the king and his court. They learned there was a general consensus that the twins and Calliel should be hanged, but there was a division concerning the succession. The king and some of his officials wished to incorporate Alto Vassara into the crown's lands, but they knew that would be an unpopular move, so many supported Ermac Wiverfang's claim. In any case, the accused planned their escape, and before a sentence was given, Calliel magically transported the accused out of Castle Thindath.

After eluding the search groups who went after them, the group decided to head to the nation of Chondath, to uncover the truth about the High Treasurer's ploy. Janus parted from their company as they reached Chondath, however, so that he could attempt to secure the Wiverfangs' properties and investments from being seized by the Sespechian crown. The others intended to find Ganon and then, hopefully, his kidnappers, and extract the story from them. As they neared the city of Arrabar, however, Calliel was approached by an agent of Argalaf's, a doppelgänger named Fereng. The doppelgänger had assumed the guise of Ganon and tried to mislead the party and lead them into a wild goose chase. Calliel was suspicious, however, and insisted in going to Arrabar.

After arriving in the city, the doppelgänger took an opportunity to disappear and set out to murder the Wiverfangs instead. Using his shape-changing abilities, he attempted to lure Wolfgang to an ambush, but was discovered and captured, and his identity was soon discovered. The party then threatened and questioned Fereng, who pointed out the current location of Ganon: he was delivered to a thieves' guild he owed money to, as a payment for some information they provided the Sespechians with. Fereng also denied knowing the identity of his superiors, and claimed to have been forced to work for them as they knew about his nature and would not allow him to live otherwise. The party then released him, after he promised to come to their aid in the future if they required so.

After that, the Wiverfangs spent several days in Arrabar attempting to arrange a meeting with the mysterious head of the thieves' guild who allegedly held Ganon prisoner. With the help of divination magic and a smuggling contact who was a member of the guild, they finally managed to do so, but not without alerting Argalaf's spy network and having to violently dispatch an adventuring group sent to capture or kill them. When inside the thieves' hideout, they spoke to the invisible leader, trying to arrange for Ganon's release. The thieves' guild, however, was not swayed by their attempt and showed little interest on what they had to offer. Thus, the Wiverfangs decided to break the prisoner free by whatever means possible. Aware of their intentions, the leader of the guild, a banelar naga with Zhentarim connections, decided to eliminate the group. The whole incident turned out to be a costly mistake for the guild, however, as the naga was killed by Ozzer and Ganon was freed. The Wiverfangs' contact, however, managed to secure leadership of the guild after the demise of his old master.

Now with some evidence of the High Treasurers' plot, the Wiverfangs set out on a search for allies. Their first stop was to be the island of Ilighōn, home of the Inner Circle of the Emerald Enclave, an organization of which Wolfgang and Sānara, as well as her father Ermac, were members. Unable to obtain an audition with the Inner Circle, the two junior members at least convinced them to speak on their behalf to Matriarch Almiera Suviathia, representative of the Enclave in the court of Aldorn Thuragar, who would hopefully vouch for them when they presented their case.

Eleint, 1374 DR

Meanwhile, Sānara saw a series of signs which led her to devising a plan to end the feud between the siblings Kareene and Wolfgang and settle the sucession of the county of Alto Vassara, bringing peace to the Wiverfang family and their lands. Capitalizing on a secret tryst between the siblings when they first met as adults many years before, Sānara would convince them to embrace their romance and be married in a ceremony which she would preside. Kareene would then bear a child, Sānara was certain, who would become the undisputed sucessor of Worton Wiverfang. (*)

Chapter 2 - A Marca de Nagaflow (The March of Nagaflow)

Alturiak, 1375 DR

Since the king had formally split the March of Via Įurea two months before, all manner of adventurers and fortune-seekers flocked to the small town of Paragem do Trevo intent on exploring and establishing a foothold in the southern lands to claim the title of Marquis of Nagaflow. One of those hopefuls was Lord Bastian Greylander, the youngest son of Count Laius Greylander of Terra Alta. After a disagreement with his father, Bastian departed their northeasterly lands accompanied only by his childhood friend Dargollad, a half-elven bard. Disillusioned with his father's ways, Bastian set out to earn himself a title and great honour, while never identifying himself as a Greylander. These were strange times for the region, as reports of animals acting strangely abounded, and sightings of bizarre creatures in the wilderness were becoming more frequent.

Shortly after the duo arrived in the town, even more disturbing news arrived from the nearby village of Rancho Varn (Varn Ranch). Gnolls from the Golden Plains had crossed into settled lands and were pillaging farmsteads around the village. The two rushed to the village along with some militiamen and a female hunter named Amaryllis, who came from the isolated village of Nis. But by the time they arrived, Rancho Varn was largely looted and burned, and only a few gnoll bands were still pillaging and trying to take the remainder of the village's population as slaves. Those bands were easily fought off, but the larger force escaped to the wild carrying valuables and slaves, and leaving a toll of almost one hundred dead Sespechians. Seeing the situation with his own eyes, Bastian strengthened his resolve, but there remained the problem of funds. Some kind of plan would have to be made if he desired to take the mantle of protector of the southern border.

Realizing that, the first idea that came to Bastian's mind was to collect the bounty of a thousand gold coins on a group of bandits known as the Company of the Robust Folk of the Golden Way, who had become rather ambitious in the last few months and managed to steal a chest of trade bars sent by Marquis Falz Krivand to the king. Earning the support of Amaryllis, Bastian and Dargollad eventually tracked the bandits to their hideout in a swampy area of the Naga Plains, and slaughtered the group. The treasure was not found, and the three learned some of the bandits were now in Ormpetarr, but the bounty was collected nonetheless. Seeing their success, an agent of Argalaf's named Saeros who was on the lookout for potential future marquises contacted them and offered some information on the underworld of the capital, and on Hesse Torbold, one of the leaders of the bandits who had apparently survived. The money Bastian could spend was still very limited, though, so he had to think of another idea.

Bastian's solution came to him soon enough. He happened to be a very competent jouster, and King Aldorn Thuragar and his court would be holding the Feast of Purple Majesty in the end of the month. If Bastian could earn the post and prize of champion of the jousts, he would have both money and support for his enterprise in the south. The three journeyed north to Ormpetarr, and once in the capital, they competed in several smaller tournaments leading up to the great jousting match in the Dawn of Equines. Bastian wore his helmet the entire time to avoid being recognized, and then dismounted opponent after opponent, winning a grandious final joust against the Turmian knight Antovin Pravassi. Bathed in glory, Bastian dined in the king's table, earned the sizable prize of five thousand gold coins and became rather famous in the city. There were many whispers regarding his identity, but if the court realized it, they did not divulge.

Ches, 1375 DR

To take advantage of their trip to Ormpetarr, the three went searching for Hesse in the alleys of the city. Through some investigation, they managed to find out his whereabouts. They were then approached by Hesse's brother Jovelis, who insisted that they did not kill either of them in exchange for his portion of the stolen gold. The group insisted on obtaining the whole plunder, and knowing Hesse would not bow down, Jovelis reluctantly made a plan with the three to lure his brother out of town and confront him. The plan worked, but Bastian killed Hesse, sparing Jovelis because of his confession. Jovelis was angered, but was forced to give up Hesse's share and lead the three to a hideout where another portion of the treasure was buried. Unknown to anyone else alive, though, that was not Jovelis' share, which he had safely stored away, but instead belonged to the whole group of bandits. Jovelis was let go and the three returned to Ormpetarr to return the stolen gold to the High Treasurers' Office, earning another reward.

As the next step of their plans, the group travelled to Nimpeth, where they intended to hire a band of mercenaries and buy war equipment, supplies and transportation to the south. There they ran afoul of a merchant and slave trader named Inoreth Wasgall, a prominent member of the Vilhon-Alamber Trading Company, which had a distinct interest on the March of Nagaflow and the possibility of wealth coming in from that area with the opening of the Innarlan Canal. Instead of hiring the mercenaries, who had turned unsympathetic to them due to Inoreth's influence, they decided to infiltrate Inoreth's galley Indulgźncia (Indulgence), bound for Travessia de Ior, smuggling themselves in. The galley used slaves for rowing, and since slavery was outlawed in Sespech since 1370 DR, Bastian felt justified in seizing the ship after they crossed the border into Sespechian land. After doing that, they took the ship, its crew and its supplies to the coast near Ormpetarr, and Dargollad arranged the sale of the galley to some of his newly formed underworld contacts for three thousand gold coins, much less than its actual value. They proceeded to take the weapons and supplies, and any men who wished to follow, to Travessia de Ior by land.

The three had several problems with the slaves who followed them. Coming from a criminal background, it wasn't long until some of them started making trouble along the way. Controlling them proved difficult, and Bastian turned to one of the freed men, a charismatic and conniving priest of Shar (ostensibly of Oghma) named Nassam to help lead. They started dealing out punishment for transgressions, such as chopping a man's left foot for severely hurting and possibly trying to kill another former slave, who was himself a cripple. The measures proved effective, and they manged to lead most of the men to Chancer, a village less than a day away from Travessia de Ior. There, a group of villagers antagonized Bastian for wiping out the Company of the Robust Folk of the Golden Way, many of whom were from Chancer. Angered for being confronted by peasants who were supporting bandits, Bastian slew one of the villagers. The crowd rebelled and they had to pull off from Chancer to make their way to Travessia de Ior. Dismayed by Bastian's actions, Dargollad tried to dissuade him from taking such extreme measures. Bastian was not fazed, though, so Dargollad, Amaryllis and a large group of men quietly left their company during the night, taking most of the gold and some supplies for themselves and making course for Nis, upriver. Bastian searched for them in vain, and without troops, he decided for another course of action. He would travel to Terra Alta and gather the support of former loyal guardsmen, and come back to claim the title of marquis, no longer renouncing the name Greylander.

Tarsakh, 1375 DR

Just a few days after arriving at the the village of Nis and being well received by Amaryllis' family, Dargollad and Amaryllis, now in a colourful friendship of sorts, started to make a plan for the settlement of the remaining freed slaves and a possible bid for the lordship of the March. They did not have much to work with, however, and all was stalled until, in the middle of Tarsakh, a Halruaan moon elven wizardess named Sanae Silmedil arrived in the tiny village with a small coterie of servants, apprentices, and her friend and protector, the Tyrran knight Maxim Olierus. Sanae worshipped Mystra in the same level as the Seldarine, and actively promoted her agenda of spreading the use of magic throughout the world. Sespech was a challenge for her, but she intended to open up the realm to the use of arcane magic, and the marquisate was a necessary step in that direction. After meeting the wizardess and throughly discussing the matter with her, the two decided the best course of action would be to join forces with her.

The newly formed group started a base of operations in Nis, after Amaryllis successfully petitioned her elders for the right to do that in their land. Nis at the time was being frequently attacked by vicious creatures resembling large snakes with ankheg graftings, the same ones which were being seen more sporadically near Paragem do Trevo. Therefore, their first priority was to fortify the village. After an initial palisade was built, work begun on new homes to accomodate the new inhabitants of Nis. The supplies and gold brought in by Dargollad and Amaryllis were very useful to the effort.

Mirtul, 1375 DR

In parallel to these later efforts, Sanae started making incursions into the wilderness in search of the source of the disturbances in the region. She took Maxim, Dargollad and Amaryllis with her, learning much about the strange creatures as well as other dwellers of the March of Nagaflow, such as lizardfolk, gnolls, goblinoids and kobolds, who were also being driven out of their lands by the new threat. The group soon discovered that the insectoid creatures were linked by a sort of hive mind which was vulnerable to magical assault. Working on a captured specimen, Sanae eventually developed the means to control the creatures, and though her power was not sufficient to gather a large number of them, the defence of Nis was boosted and the assaults all but ceased. To assert her control over the wilderness, however, she would have to find out whether there was someone else controlling the beasts and neutralize this enemy, or else eliminate all the creatures she could not bring to the fold.

At the same time, Bastian, now called Lord Greylander, returned from Terra Alta with upwards of a hundred men, and his now loyal advisor Nassam. His first stop was at the village of Chancer, where he burned houses and crops and looted supplies and valuables as an act of revenge and misguided justice. From there he proceeded to Travessia de Ior, meeting the slave trader Inoreth once again. Inoreth had brought several ships and about two hundred mercenaries and five hundred slaves with him to Travessia de Ior and started building earthworks and walls, as well as outposts further inland to secure the river crossing and, in time, all of the march. They were battling the insectoid creatures, but could not make many advances with their numbers.

The two former enemies had a conversation in which Nassam convinced Lord Greylander to strike a deal with Inoreth, according to which they would make a joint effort to tame the land, Inoreth would become the new marquis, and Lord Greylander would be Baron of Travessia de Ior. Lord Greylander and Nassam planned to eventually use Inoreth's foreign and lowborn status against him, but for the moment they would be allies. One obstacle stood in their way, however: Lemard Linarck, the current Baron of Travessia de Ior. It was not a large obstacle, however, as the baron had far fewer men and was perceived as a weakling. The biggest problem was how to be rid of him without angering Marquis Falz Krivand and the king himself. As a precaution, Lord Greylander's men moved into the Baron's residence and started guarding the place, ostensibly for his safety, but effectively putting him into house arrest. Few people complained, as the baron was not well-loved in the village. Of those, only a priestess of Waukeen named Inna Surmarden, who wished to build a shrine in Travessia de Ior due to the prospective wealth of the region with the completion of the Innarlan Canal and had recently befriended the baron, was a bit more vocal.

Chapter 3 - O Cerco de Ormpetarr (The Siege of Ormpetarr)

Kythorn, 1375 DR

In the middle of 1375 DR, the spectre of war loomed over the kingdom of Sespech, as tensions with the Chondathians grew almost to a bursting point. Except for Argalaf's network of spies, Sespech had almost no intelligence regarding the Chondathian movements, and counter-spies and saboteurs were in short supply. In this dire situation, the crown decided to increase its reliance on adventuring parties and other amateurs for special work, seeking to even the odds against the Chondathians. It was in this setup that a peculiar group came together: Laimion Franco, a veteran of the king's army, Eglad, a giant of a man of mysterious southern origins, Cashir, an outspoken but inconspicuous-looking priest of Beshaba, Je'madhar, a wood elf from the distant High Forest, and Elora, his sun elven companion.

Brought together by Captain Laril'la of the king's army, a wood elven friend of Je'madhar who earned much prestige in Sespech, those five adventurers were to immediately recieve a risky assignment in the city of Mimph in the shores of the Vilhon Reach. An invaluable half-orc informant named Morwort had warned Laril'la about the plans of Waagrod, the leader of a band of orcish mercenaries called "the Blood-drenched" and numbering over two hundred strong to accept Chondathian gold and wreak havoc in the city of Mimph in the event of the outbreak of a war. A member of the Blood-drenched himself, Morwort wished to be made leader of the band, and promised loyalty to Sespech in return for the help of the crown's agents. Accepting the assignment, the five adventurers and Morwort departed Ormpetarr aboard a ship heading to the port of Mimph.

Arriving there, the group assumed the guise of Chondathian agents and based themselves in a festhall once co-owned by Cashir. From there they arranged a meeting with Waagrod, allowing them to set up a trap to capture him and kill his personal guard. Je'madhar recognized Waagrod as an orc warlord who once terrorized the North, and killed him. In the absence of their leader, three factions sprang from the Blood-drenched and started warring in the streets of Mimph. After a bloody afternoon, Morwort, revealed to be Waagrod's son, managed to gain control of what was left of the band, but not before earning the enmity of the adventurers. On the following day, Eglad challenged Morwort to personal combat and won, acheiving a tenuous control of the mercenary band. He then sailed off the port of Mimph with his new ship and crew, and the others returned to Ormpetarr to report their success.

Flamerule, 1375 DR

In the 12th of Flamerule, Arrabar sprang their audacious plan to make Sespech their vassals once more. It was a rainy day and most of Mimph's fleet was moored when a detachment of seventy eight warships with a full complement of mercenaries left Chondath in the direction of the bay of Nimpeth. Spies scattered through Sespech and Nimpeth wove a web of disinformation that resulted in King Thuragar being assured Chondath was planning to attack Nimpeth. Only very few people in Chondath and nimpeth knew about the ruse, which allowed the Chondathian fleet to sail up the Vassara river and reach the Nagawater unimpeded by either the Nimpethians or the Sespechians. Ill-prepared, Ormpetarr was poised to be invaded, but rather than risking an amphibious assault, the Chondathian plan was to beseige the capital instead. Around eight thousand Chondathians landed on the beaches near Ormpetarr, and the fleet moved in to blockade the port. Before the city was cut off, the Crown ordered the evacuation of important lords and officers through land and sea, calling on the aid of trusted freelancers for the job. Thus, Laimion, Je'madhar, Cashir and a savage named Ror, from the wolf tribe, one of three tribes that wander the fringes of the Chondalwood, found their way out of the city.

Those four sailed past the Chondathian fleet in the merchant galley Hasawua, along with Laril'la, a small complement of royal soldiers, Baron Wassihr of Isjela, some of his coterie, and the priestess of Waukeen, Inna Surmarden. The Hasawua, as well as many other vessels which were in port, was leased by the crown in the emergency. This one in particular belonged to a wealthy merchant of Shaarian origin who was none too pleased with the situation. On the lake, after the Hasawua initially got past the Chondathian line, the enemy galley Beleza de Sune (Sune's Beauty) gave chase and finally boarded the Hasawua about twenty kilometres south of Ormpetarr. The Sespechians prevailed with difficulty and the crew of the Beleza de Sune surrendered to Captain Laril'la. The Chondathian galleys Aguerrida (Battle-hardened) and Sombra de Mask (Mask's Shadow), which had just caught another group of blockade-runners, noticed the battle and moved in to recapture their ship, however. Needing all the manpower he could get to help evade the Chondathians, Laril'la decided to scuttle the Hasawua and depart for the naga-controlled waters in the southern half of the lake. Soon after crossing the bouys marking the extent of the nagas' territory, the Chondathians disappeared from view and the Beleza de Sune was moored in a shallow bay near the mouth of a river in the Naga Plains.

The area where the ship was moored was a swamp, and being in the territory of the nagas, it was uncharted and dangerous. After clearing a series of paths and finding a suitable location for a fortified encampment, the Beleza de Sune as taken upriver and Laril'la initiated his plans to contact other survivors, help organize the military of Sespech and get Baron Wassihr back to the March of Arran. Soon, in the first night, Laril'la approached Ror and gave him an enchanted spear which belonged to one of Ror's own people who had perished in combat, and instructed him on the deceased's last words, when he pleaded for the spear to be returned to his clan. In a few days, with the encampment well established, Je'madhar, Elora and Ror were tasked with taking a message to a royal agent, Saeros, in Paragem do Trevo. The Waukeenar would accompany them as she insisted on returning to Travessia de Ior to meet the local baron. Before they departed, however, a recent burial site was uncovered near the encampment and, among a few other valuables, a shard of an emerald was found resting besides a skeleton. Cashir detected magical emanations from the stone and took it with him. After a night of prayer he determined it was touched by his goddess, and to his amazement, the shard melded itself into the horned crown he wore during services. Cashir attempted to gain an insight into the will of Beshaba, but for now he would wait.

The journey to Paragem do Trevo was uneventful, and Saeros was glad to receive more news of the capital. Hard-pressed by the war and lacking in personnel, Saeros requested the aid of the four travellers in regimenting troops from the March of Nagaflow. Since that land was no longer the domain of Marquis Falz Krivand of Via Įurea, he had no authority or willingness to send his men to gather those forces, and the task had fallen to Saeros, who was finding it difficult to do so. As the travellers accepted the task, Saeros wrote a marshalling order, sealed it with an official stamp, and gave it to them so that they could persuade the petty lords of Nagaflow to contribute to the war effort.

The travellers followed the Serpent's Way to the southeast, until they arrived at the burned village of Chancer. They made camp there, but were assailed by restless ghosts who took them for their murderers. After a hasty defence and an attempt to sanctify the remains of the dead that could still be found, they backtracked a bit to the margins of the River Melsen and headed upriver to Nis, the domain of Lady Sanae Silmedil. The way was clear, and even though strange creatures were regularly spotted close to Nis, they made no aggressive movements. In fact, they found the outskirts of the village guarded by a few of these bizarre monsters, as well as scouts and huntsmen. Once within the newly built palisade, less than an hour was needed to speak to Lady Silmedil. The envoys went directly to business, and asked the Lady for assistance in countering the Chondathian threat. Understandably, Lady Silmedil argued she could not provide much manpower, as she was already stretched thin as it was, and the creatures she was experimenting with were not suited to this kind of work. She did pledge, however, to assemble all the available men and women and aid in whatever capacity she could. She also asked for a few days to make the necessary preparations, so the envoys decided to make way for Travessia de Ior, as to not waste any valuable time.

Arriving at Travessia de Ior, the envoys found the village to be very well fortified, with special moats and earthworks meant to deter attacks by burrowing creatures, and well defended by mercenaries and troops loyal to Lord Greylander. The populace seemed rather content with their new lord's rule, but they could not fail to see the signs of burgeoning tyranny, especially with Inna pointing them out whenever possible. The baron of Travessia de Ior was still confined to his manor and kept entirely in the dark regarding every decision. Lord Greylander, his senior advisor Nassam and his foreign backer Inoreth made all the rules. Nonetheless, the envoys did what was expected of them and requested an audience with Lord Greylander, who agreed. The reception was not much different from that they received in Nis, except for the fact that Travessia de Ior had many more soldiers to spare. In the end, Lord Greylander said he would gather his troops for inspection in five days at most. In the following day, Je'madhar found a boarded up inn called the Estalagem da Lua Enevoada (Shrouded Moon Inn) with a symbol of Sehanine Moonbow on its sign. Through some crafty thieving skills, he managed to enter the main hall, where he saw signs of a bloody fight, and in a more thorough search, an arrow fletching made on the style of his people.

As an aside, Lord Greylander's advisor Nassam grew rather interested in Cashir's now jewelled crown, and arranged a personal meeting with him. In that meeting, Nassam revealed to be in possession of another emerald shard which seemed to be attuned to Cashir's item. In return for delivering the stone to Cashir, Nassam asked for a favour - to eliminate the baron of Travessia de Ior from the scene. Nassam meant this stratagem both as a method to increase their power over the village and a way to gauge the value of Cashir as a potential ally. Cashir implied he would find a way to poison the baron inside his chambers, and left. However, he recounted Nassam's proposal to his allies, and while he made it clear he would do anything in his power to acquire the shard in Nassam's possession, he had no qualms about tricking him and not killing the baron if that would mean he would gain the support of the rest of the group. Thus, the group decided on crafting a special substance that would give the baron the appearance of death, and then smuggling him off in secret to Via Įurea where he had family. For that, they needed to seach the local wilderness for rare ingredients, which they did thanks in no small part to the knowledge of plants of Ror and also of Inna's husband, Randellis Sensbane, who had been waiting for her in the village. Thus, the poison was crafted, and Je'madhar sneaked into the baron's chambers, dripping a few drops in his mouth while he slept. The baron was declared dead on the following day, and Inna commanded the services, arranging for him to be "buried" in his family's ancestral lands. The plot appeared to run smoothly from beginning to end, but in truth, Nassam had discovered the group's intentions before the deed, and did nothing to stop them. In his reasoning, a runaway baron hiding in his family home could be even better than a dead one, since no heir would likely show up to claim his title. Nassam also kept his word to Cashir and delivered the second fragment to him, which also melded with his crown after a ritual to the Maid of Misfortune.

The envoys then returned to Paragem do Trevo, making another detour to the village of Nis to inspect Lady Sanae's troops. Combining the two villages and neighbouring farmsteads, they managed to regiment 122 men and women. As they relayed the information to Saeros, they received a rather meager reward and were asked to stay nearby, as the crown might need their services within a few days. Saeros also commented, a bit dismissively, on a mysterious group of elves who had been seen regularly in and around Paragem do Trevo, which brought Je'madhar's attention. After leaving Saeros' presence, he insisted on pursuing those elves, and Cashir and Ror went with him, while Inna and Randellis went to the Linarck manor for a time. After gathering enough information, Je'madhar and his mates managed to track the elves to the south. They crossed the Nagaflow in Arsh and caught up with them in the Golden Way, halfway to the village of Kurrsh. There, a tense conversation in the elven language began, soon leading to heated arguments and namecalling and finally straight out battle. Je'madhar and his allies barely prevailed, killing one of the elves and imprisoning the other two. As it happened, the three elves were among the many of Je'madhar's fellows who migrated southeast after their homeland was ravaged by an army of orcs. These elves, along with many others, blamed Je'madhar and other conspirators for leaking the knowledge of the elves' secret abodes within the forest to the orcs. There was an element of truth to that claim, as these conspirators had attempted a bold plan to assassinate the greatest orc chieftain against the counsel of their elders, and were ultimately captured and tortured, revealing important information. The Estalagem da Lua Enevoada in Travessia de Ior was owned by one of these conspirators, as Je'madhar had begun to suspect. After dealing with the elves, Je'madhar took the survivors to the presence of Captain Laril'la, explained the situation and let them speak to the captain. Laril'la was dismayed by both Je'madhar's folly and the sense of justice of the other elves, but decided to let all of them free and make no mention of the incident to the courts, considering it a personal matter which was resolved outside of Sespechian territory. He warned everyone about the consequences of further bloodshed, however.

Later in that day, Ror told Captain Laril'la he would need more time until the next assignment, as his honour demanded that he returned the spear he had given him as soon as possible. Instead of letting them simply leave, however, the captain proposed another assignment for Je'madhar and Ror, one that would take them to the fringes of the Chondalwood. They would do something akin to their last task in the March of Nagaflow, delivering official letters to the Countesses of Passo Virraj and Flanco Oriental and the Count of Terra Alta, asking for an increase in the mobilization of their armies. Elora would join them in this mission, and they were to depart as soon as possible. In the following day, their journey east commenced, with few issues. They successfully evaded the Chondathian troops which were mostly camped near the capital and made their way along the Virraj Trail. Both Kemneera Rudith and Yessra Valta received them coldly but respectfully, and pledged to further increase the regional forces in response to the Chondathian threat on their doorsteps. Laius Greylander was a bit more cautious, but seemed compliant as well.

Eleasias, 1375 DR

While they waited for the count to gather the troops, Ror, Je'madhar and Elora journeyed to the fringes of the Chondalwood to locate the clan of the warrior whose spear Ror was tasked with returning. They found the count's men impressing and bullying a group of villagers of the lynx tribe, a sister tribe to Ror's. The three took to the villagers' defence and routed the count's men, who were led by one Captain Įbel. The village elders, in response, hailed the arrival of their saviours and directed them to the clan they were searching. On the next day, Ror found the warrior's elders and returned the spear to them. They informed him that the spear contained a guardian spirit linked to the deceased warrior's soul, and that the spirit should choose, by means of a ritual, the new bearer of the spear, who should then find another spirit and forge a link with it through the magic of the weapon. On that night, Ror was chosen by the leaving spirit and praised as a hero by his people.

During the night, Ror started a journey, entering the Chondalwood in search of a potential spirit ally. Many spiritsm made contact with him in various forms and trying to win his favour at the same time as they offered theirs. At the end of a long night and after many deceptions, Ror came across a spectral she-wolf with three ghostly cubs being attacked by another spectral wolf aided by other, minor wolf shadows. Owing to the protective traditions of the wolf tribe, Ror stood in front of the she-wolf to defend her and the cubs, and almost prevailed against the attacking wolf. As the confrontation ended, the she-wolf dispersed and Ror fell into a brief torpor where he received an insight that all the wolves were, in fact, a single wolf spirit, who was testing him. As he awoke, the wolf spirit attempted to bond with the spear. Ror, however, was angry and disillusioned with the spirits' deceiving and patronizing ways. He resisted the wolf spirit with his will, and when he was about to lose the contest, he shattered the spear on a rock. On the morning, Ror returned to the village to face the appalled elders, who heavy-heartedly decided to banish him from the wolf tribe, beleiving what he had done was a serious offence.

In the light of the recent events which affected the two, Je'madhar and Ror developed a strong bond of friendship. Now they were both outcasts in the eyes of their elders and also in their own. With their heads up, they left the wolf tribe village and headed back to Count Laius Greylander's castle to inspect and count the troops. When they gained audience with the count, however, Captain Įbel recognized them and spoke against them in front of the Count. He argued that they were troublemakers who killed several of his men and unfit to serve in such an important mission by virtue of being two elves and a savage man, and contested the truth of their words and the legitimacy of the royal seal they were carrying. The three attempted a hasty defence, but the count was more impressed by his captain's words, and added to the fact that he did not want to part with any more troops for the war effort, that led him to refuse to comply with the order. He stopped short of imprisoning the three, however, and they were allowed to return to Saeros in Paragem do Trevo.

As they returned to Via Įurea, the three met again with Cashir, Inna, Randellis and Laril'la at Saeros' room. With them were King Aldorn Thuragar and Gavilon Jostins, magically disguised as agents of Marquis Falz Krivand. They discussed for a long time, and Saeros laid the plan for the next stage of the war: a naval assault on the blockading Chondathian fleet by the combined might of Mimph, the Nimpethan Inoreth Wasgall, and the small, newfound fleet of Alto Vassara, taken together by Janus Morgreant. Believing the capital could not withstand a prolongued siege, they would attempt to sever the Chondathian supply lines and allow Ormpetarr to resupply through the lake, effectively forcing the Chondathian army to abandon its position. By courtesy of Lord Bastian Greylander, or more accurately, of his advisor Nassam, Cashir received the command of the war galley Rainha do Alamber (Queen of the Alamber), while Je'madhar was assigned to lead a group of soldiers on board.

Eleint, 1375 DR

The Sespechian fleets approached Chondathian positions at early morning on the third day of Eleint. Due to the mixed nature of both fleets, which counted with oared galleys as well as saling ships of many sizes, tactics were haphazard. Admiral Kalisa Tauno led the main Sespechian force into the center of the harbour where most of the Chondahian ships were waiting and instructed Inoreth's group to try and pierce their southern line. The crews fought for hours using cannon, ballistae, hand guns, arrows and incendiary ammunition. The battle started tilting to the Sespechian side when the crews of the war galleys Rainha do Alamber and Incansįvel (Untiring) successfully boarded the Chondathian galleon Império (Empire), ultimately giving the Sespechians control of the harbour. The Império was eventually lost to enemy fire before the end of the battle, but at that point the Chondathians could only gather their remaining force, mainly in the northern and western lines, and flee the lake.

After the battle ended and the Sespechians entered their capital triumphantly, the king held a special court session to address specific concerns due to the breaking of the siege. Honours and prizes were awarded, with Je'madhar and Ror being knighted and monetarily rewarded, and Cashir eventually obtaining a royal charter for the Church of Beshaba and a suitable building in Mimph for their temple. Lord Bastian Greylander was tauted as a hero for coming to the rescue of the capital, and awarded by the king's decree the title of Baron of Travessia de Ior, ignoring the Linarck family's claims, and hinted at his likely progression to Marquis. Inoreth, on the other hand, mostly kept a low profile. The Chondathian army, on the other hand, lifted the siege and headed north to the Arran Lowlands in what came to be known as the Marcha aos Baixios (March to the Lowlands) in Chondath, and as a slew of derisive and inflammatory monikers in Sespech. Villages and farmsteads alond the Golden Road were pillaged by the retreating army, and while Sespechian forces harried the more straggled Chondathians, over six thousand arrived at the border, where they secured the Emerald Bridge for Chondathian supply carts and reinforcements, camped around Fort Arran, establishing a new siege, and continued harassing the countryside and taking minor positions. Incapable of dealing a crushing blow to Sespech in what was, at least in hindsight, a foolish endeavour engendered by overconfident Chondathian lords, Chondath was forced to pursue a more conventional war which could take many years.

Chapter 4 - Os Pioneiros dos Prados (The Pioneers of the Prairies)

Marpenoth, 1375 DR

[To be added as the Play-by-email unfolds, which may take a while...]

Chapter 5 - A Vinganēa de Sespech (The Sespechian Revenge)

Eleint, 1376 DR

At the middle of an unusually cold autumn in the Vilhon, an unexpected visitor arrived at the castle of the Wiverfangs in Alsiva. He was Assur, a Chessentan Holy High Inquisitor of Hoar named after his patron god's original name, Assuran. The inquisitor carried with him a prisoner: a man who had once served as a double agent working for Sespech and Chondath and was involved in the kidnapping of Calliel. He had found the man while capturing and interrogationg a few chondathian spies with the intent of finding out more about a massacre inflicted by Chondathian-paid mercenaries during the summer of 1369 DR on the city of Airspur as Chondath was ostensibly negotiating peace with Airspur on the behalf of the Duchy of Hlath. Assur sought to avenge the killings and the betrayal of trust by inflicting similar pain on the nation of Chondath, and as he captured that agent, he saw some opportunity for allying himself with Sespechian interests.

Well received by the Wiverfang regents, Assur started to gauge his options, and decided on attempting a covert operation with the help of the Wiverfangs' counselor Janus Morgreant, who he had met during his reception. The two of them talked extensively about the progress of the war since the Chondathian defeat at Ormpetarr: how the Chondathians managed to march back to the border, how Fort Arran had fallen after five months of siege, and how Chondathian mercenaries were raiding the countryside but failing to obtain major strategic victories, with the city of Mimph and its navy still far from being threatened and the inhabitants of the Golden Plains resisting every incursion up to that date. Still, both wanted to end the war decisively in favour of Sespech, and as soon as possible.

Marpenoth, 1376 DR

As Assur prepared to leave Alsiva, he and Janus already had the embryo of a plan. Assur magically called on the help of an agent he had contracted before to exact Hoar's vengeance upon a Chessentan noble. The agent was a female Mulhorandi vampire who identified to him as Samira, who was an exceptionally skilled spy and secretly a member of the Fangs of Set. As for Janus, he entered a negotiation with a weapons merchant, smuggler and extremely eccentric bard named Maister Ossos Queimados (Maister Burntbones), who would help them navigate the upper classes of Chondath without revealing the true identity of Janus, something that would be particularly important for the scheme they had in mind.

Uktar, 1376 DR

In a month's time, Maister was able to help them acquire valuable information from the Yinoran family that rules Iljak, and departed the capital. Pretending to be their allies against the increasing presures from Arrabar, the trio intended to abandon the Yinorans and let them suffer the wrath of Eles Wianar to weaken the city of Iljak, and potentially all of the Confederation of Chondath. To that end, they approached two of the Yinoran scions, brother and sister Morel and Favra Yinoran, both in their early twenties. Despite their attempts at subterfuge, the two noticed a few oddities, and so did the spies Eles Wianar had sent to watch his fellow Lord's children. Not much later, Both Eles Wianar and Anton Yinoran were aware of the possibility of some kind of foul play, but they were not yet sure about the identities of the conspirators.

Nightal, 1376 DR

Eles Wianar's plan was to send one of his top agents, his bastard daughter Laithe, to take the guise of Morel and investigate the matter. Anton and the rest of the Yinorans were obligated to accept, but they were also glad their own blood would not need to be put at risk. With the aid of powerful spells, Laithe plays along with the plans of the trio, while Samira heads to Ormpetarr for the second, and as of yet unknown by others, part of that plan. In Iljak, Laithe discovers the identity of the conspirators and most of their motives, makes an escape, and informs her father of the situation. Janus and Assur manage to leave the scene as well and return home to lick their wounds.

Meanwhile, in Ormpetarr, Samira infiltrates the home of the Ambassador of Hlondeth in Sespech, Prince Dmetrio Extaminos. As a yuan-ti and Sseth worshipper (even if not devout), he is an enemy of the Fangs of Set,which prompted Samira to make this scheme a little more personal. She first killed his pet flying snakes at his home as a mocking warning shot, and then takes on the guise of a boatman taking Dmetrio and his soon-to-be wife Glisena Thuragar to a nightly ride on the Nagawater. She then convinces Dmetrio to drink a very potent elixir of love so as to be extraordinarily infatuated with Glisena, in what otherwise was a strictly political relationship. Adding to that, she manages to capture the princess, hand her over to Chondathian spies, and slowly let some of that information leak. Then she leaves Sespech to wait for the others.

After the conclusion of these events, during the several days while Dmetrio was under the compulsion and before his mother forced him to undergo the breaking of the enchantment, he returned to Hlondeth and decided for himslef to take control of most of the navy and sail to the Bay of Arran to make a sortie against the Chondathian armies there, honoring the Hlondethian-Sespechian alliance and catering to his newfound magically engineered obsession. The sortie was very successful, allowing the Sespechians to cross the Emerald Bridge and start burning Chondath itself.

Seeing his hopes for a relatively quick war destroyed, Eles Wianar decided to opt for a cease-fire, including the release of Chondathian and Sespechian goods, capital and personnel that were seized, and the ransom of princess Glisena. The war was finally ended, at least for the time being. A few months later in Mirtul, 1377 DR, Chondath finally succeeds in one of its long-standing ploys, and topples the goverment of the city of Reth with the aid of Sembian mercenaries and envoys, as well as many troops remanaged from the Sespechian border. The city joins the Confederation of Chondath.

Chapter 6 - Os Senadores de Innarlith (The Senators of Innarlith)

[This chapter is coming to an end, but I have considerably broadened play by allowing more players, more characters for each player, and certain actions to be done out-of-game, so it might take more time to write it all down.]

[To be continued...]

(*) Okay, that's a bit of a touchy subject there, but I didn't want to leave this part unmentioned. I did check with a mod before posting, however.

Edited by - Mapolq on 29 Nov 2013 19:12:40
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  01:08:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm excited about your campaign actually Mapolq. I've been entertaining where to place a more feudal structured kingdom in my own Forgotten Realms, and so far I like what I'm seeing that you have made!

Good luck to you and I'm subscribing to this thread so I can stay up to date!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  02:35:35  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! If you have any ideas about plots, campaign hooks, interesting locales, "dungeons" or anything else, I'd be glad to hear them and incorporate them into the setting. If anything seems out of place, feel free to point it out too. As it happens, I wish to have my "Sespech sub-setting" flourish so I can DM campaigns that are very freeform, that is, where the players decide what their characters want to do based on their knowledge of the setting. I happen to love the idea of political/military/economic campaigns as well, so details on that front would be prized!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  02:57:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize it's originally intended for Mystara, but much material from the Red Steel / Savage Coast campaign setting could be adapted to your Sespech region, a lot of the background "fluff" from that expansion is readily compatible with what you've already developed. You could easily remove or downplay "signature" elements like Red Steel, the Red Curse, firearms, etc ... as a complete package it might all sort of overwhelm the excellent Realms flavour you've already established. This material was all once a free public download, but is no longer officially available at WotC's site.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  18:22:16  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ayrik, I'll take a look at that source if I can find it.

One aspect I haven't given any thought yet is the arms of royal and noble houses and of the cities, as well as regalia and symbols of office. The amount of diversity when one looks at heraldry is just mind-boggling. Anyone knows of any source for such things in the Realms?

Edited by - Mapolq on 02 May 2012 18:45:27
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  04:14:49  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, now I'm trying to make sense of what information there is about Sespechian military. I would prefer to fit everything together than just ignore the established lore, but it's a bit difficult to do, especially when I'm trying to give the place a more feudal feel (it does say "Feudal Barony" on the entry for Sespech in the FRCS...). That's why I have skirted around the problem for the past campaigns, but this one, and the next ones probably, are going to involve a war with Chondath, so I need to know what sort of troops they employ.

I've already gone with a small professional army to account for those 1000 soldiers in Fort Arran. The explanation is that Aldorn Thuragar is trying to emulate other nations (especially Cormyr) and centralizing power in the crown. That tendency is costing the treasury plenty of money and raising suspicions in many nobles, though.

Then there's the question of mercenaries. The entry for Sespech in the FRCS states that it exports mercenaries, which must be understood as that there are Sespechian mercenaries fighting abroad (where? Chessenta, perhaps, or as far as Unther or the Heartlands?). Anyways, if there are is a culture of mercenary work in Sespech, it would make some sense if Sespechians relied on mercenaries as well in times of war. But to what extent? They may go for paid troops when better quality is needed or if they can't draft for some reason.

Finally, there is the six-year military service which is also stated in the lore. It would seem to me that taking such an idea literally would imply a large and highly organized military structure, which I don't really want. I think I'm going with a flexible interpretation: people with land are obligated to serve their lords in their military campaigns, and the six-year figure is a theoretical upper limit on that on that obligation (which seems to be quite high, but Sespech is supposed to be very militarized).

All in all, I'm thinking a mixture of peasant levies and landed nobles (including a lot of light cavalry from the Golden Plains and elsewhere), with some mercenaries (not yet sure how many and what type) and the small standing army. A bit of mix and match, and I don't know if that lineup would be feasible or effective. Anyone got any ideas about it?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  06:17:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I could suggest is this:

In fact Sespech does require all Free Men to serve in the military for six years. However, at the end of this time, many of these men leave to seek coin elsewhere as they have become accustomed to fighting and do not want to return to a life as farmers or what have you.

If Sespech needs to USE mercenaries, it is probably from surrounding areas to be used against those same areas. The Crusaders used native mercenaries to help defend the Holy Land...it is within reason to think that light cavalry or light infantry might be hired from areas of the Lake of Steam or Border Kingdoms to supplement Sespech's individual nobles at need.

Peasants might only be conscripted in the most dire of circumstances, and would in fact be of very poor quality. So in times of urgency, this brings again into use the foreign mercenaries on the borders of Sespech...dead mercenaries don't have to be paid; but dead farmers don't work fields!

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  23:59:43  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

In fact Sespech does require all Free Men to serve in the military for six years. However, at the end of this time, many of these men leave to seek coin elsewhere as they have become accustomed to fighting and do not want to return to a life as farmers or what have you.

If Sespech needs to USE mercenaries, it is probably from surrounding areas to be used against those same areas. The Crusaders used native mercenaries to help defend the Holy Land...it is within reason to think that light cavalry or light infantry might be hired from areas of the Lake of Steam or Border Kingdoms to supplement Sespech's individual nobles at need.

Peasants might only be conscripted in the most dire of circumstances, and would in fact be of very poor quality. So in times of urgency, this brings again into use the foreign mercenaries on the borders of Sespech...dead mercenaries don't have to be paid; but dead farmers don't work fields!

Hmm, you think? Alright, I'm reorganizing my thoughts. Maybe the king's law states that every free man owes the kingdom six years of military service, but in practice the efforts of recruiting, arming and training are left to local nobles, which means the law is not always followed, as nobles don't have the necessary resources or the will to train such a large contingent in times of peace, and they'd rather keep the people working their land. The military service would mean that levies, when they are formed, would be rather more prepared for war than it was the norm in our world. After all, many of these farmers have undergone six years of military training, and are effective soldiers, probably with decent equipment. That's all good for me, as I want Sespechian forces to be able to withstand the might of Chondath at least for some time.

Also I'd think Sespechian mercenaries would be willing and able to fight for their country (for money), though foreign mercenaries would probably be fairly commonplace as well. The Border Kingdoms seem to me like a sweet spot for Sespechian mercenaries to earn some coin (should have thought of that before!), and not the other way around, though some folks from there might end up in Sespech as well.

Now, there is another question, what about the armies of Chondath (and Nimpeth, and Hlondeth, and Innarlith, the list goes on...). I need to recap on my Chondath lore, but I'd think they'd rely on mercenaries much more heavily than Sespech, to the point where they make almost the entirety of their forces.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  04:28:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add another level think of this: a wealthy Freeman may, instead of serving himself, pay his Lord in coin so that a mercenary may be hired to fight for the wealthy man. This happened much in our own history, and so wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Also, in many kingdoms, there is a difference between a Peasant and a Freeman. Peasants would often be conscripted, but a Freeman (sometimes called Yeoman or what have you) was often obligated via oaths to serve in the military. Those who didn't want to, could instead pay the local lord in coin to avoid service. The Lord would then either hire someone (a man-at-arms) to take the Freeman's place; or pocket the money and save it for when needed...like paying for a mercenary at a later time.

I honestly don't know enough about the armies in lands surrounding Sespech, so I can't make suggestion on that.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  00:52:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say that I'll be adding YOUR Sespech into my own Forgotten Realms!

I'm going to be doing a tribute game sometime in the future (to Ed Greenwood) and I think your Sespech will sit well in the framework I'm putting together!

Of course, north of Turmish will now be the Five Shires...but I think it will work.

The reason I'm placing your Sespech is that I wanted a Medieval feeling Kingdom in my Forgotten Realms...and yours fits very nicely!

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  04:51:43  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm honored, Dalen! I hope you guys have a lot of fun.

Also, I'm starting a PBeM campaign set in my Sespech after the end of the third arc of the PnP campaign. Everyone up to now will be playing in Portuguese, but if there's demand I could start an English group. The whole thing is a bit experimental though, as I've never done a PBeM game.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  02:37:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like I may have to head a bit south after my current projects. This looks intriguing.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Jun 2012 02:38:08
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  03:07:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He has a great thing going here...no joke!

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  03:24:42  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it, Markustay. I'd love to see what contributions you could make to the setting. I must say your maps and all the other stuff you post have inspired me a lot as a Realms fan and a DM. And you too, Dalor. I've been following the Five Shires adaptation you're doing together and my, it's looking great!

Now, I've taken a bit of a pause in writing more content here because I'm busy planning the PBeM campaign that's going to happen in the setting. As soon as I get some time to translate my notes into English you can expect more stuff to be posted.

2012 Edits -

Edit (August 4th): New stuff posted under Campaign Log! More to follow soon.

Edit (August 8th): Chapter 2 finished. Checking some stuff with my players to start Chapter 3.

Edit (August 9th): Started Chapter 3 and added a description of the Principality of Nimpeth, as well as some stuff under "Behind the Scenes".

Edit (September 14th): Continuing Chapter 3.

Edit (October 13th): A lot more on Chapter 3 and some new stuff under "Behind the Scenes".

Edit (November 15th): Finished Chapter 3. Added a sketch of the description of the Confederation of Chondath.

Edit (November 17th): Added general information on the Confederation of Chondath, the Dominion of Arrabar and the Duchy of Hlath.

Edit (November 18th): Added information on the Dominion of Iljak and the Republics of Samra and Shamph.

Edit (November 20th): Added some more "Behind the Scenes" stuff.

2013 Edits -

Edit (March 23rd): Started on Chapter 5 (finally) as we finished that arc. Chapter 4 might take years as it's a PBeM. Also tweaked a few things here and there.

Edit (November 2013): Finished Chapter 5, and tweaked the Chondathian invasion of Ormpetarr - one of those poorly thought-out schemes that are always nagging me.

Edited by - Mapolq on 29 Nov 2013 19:15:16
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  05:02:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Mapolq: My first run of my new Forgotten Realms game is starting on October 27th; and one of the primary NPCs of the game I have decided is going to be from the Kingdom of Sespech.

Have you envisioned any sort of organization that might undertake specific politicaly motivated trips to nations near Sespech? Or would it be that such an ambassador would simply be appointed at need from Sespech?

The reason I'm asking, is that I had thought that an Elderly Knight (meaning a once fierce knight, now much too old to enter combat) might make a good choice for a solid ally/friend to my party...especially so since one of my starting villains is going to be a rather sinister sort from Chondath who engages in all sorts of illegal activities...but on the surface is a "decent man" according to the commoner on the streets.

My thought was that this Elderly Knight once sent this Merchant/Ambassador in retreat on the field once before when the Knight caught the man doing rather evil things...so I want to build an angle into a possible trip to Sespech to help the Knight after he has helped the party.

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  07:04:00  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting a bit confused about your post here, sorry .

Let me see if I understand. Your elderly knight is a Sespechian who entered some kind of dispute with this Chondathian merchant/ambassador as he found him to be doing something evil (supposedly some time ago, maybe a few decades?). This merchant/ambassador is the same man as the villain in your campaign, I take it.

If your villain is from Chondath, it's trivial to make an explanation for him being in Sespech, especially before 1364 DR (Sespech was essentially a puppet state of Chondath back then). So the guy could be on any mercantile or governmental business.

Or do you want a hook for your players to enter Sespech under the guise of foreign emissaries? I admit I haven't fully worked out the diplomatic relations of the lands of the Vilhon Reach with the outside world, but I did establish that the king of Sespech has an admiration for the Cormyrean monarchy, so I'd think he'd be very eager to establish diplomatic ties. The Red Wizards of Thay are also trying to expand in the region, but they meet with very tough resistance given the local fear of arcane magic. Besides that, pretty much every seafaring nation in Faerūn could have an interest in Sespech right now, given that the link between the Inner Sea and the Lake of Steam, which is under construction, passes through their waters. In my campaign, most foreign powers are keeping a "wait and see" approach to the problem, since the place is pretty much a powder keg. But I could easily see a foreign nation taking a more proactive stance on the matter.

In which year is your campaign set? Depending on the date, you might have to fudge some stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  00:03:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The campaign will begin when Sespech is still under the thumb of Chondath.

You hit the nail on the head though.

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  04:20:19  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to help. Let me know how it goes!

Edit: I should note that in my homebrew history of Sespech, there was a failed rebellion in 1353 DR to overthrow the puppet king of Sespech(*), which in some ways prepared the ground for the (then successful) War of Liberation in 1364 DR. Notably, this previous rebellion was supported by some political enemies of the Chondathian establishment within their own nation. They provided the rebels with weapons and intelligence, but when their army was crushed and their leaders executed, many Chondathian conspirators were also found and charged with treason.

(*) In my campaign, King Wengar Wiverfang, killed during the War of Liberation. In canon, Baron Ricjolo Tomrase, who returned to Arrabar in 1364 DR after the coup that installed Aldorn Thuragar on the throne, and as such, might be alive or not.

Edited by - Mapolq on 14 Oct 2012 04:47:07
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  03:36:40  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next chapter (the fifth one - the fourth is a PBeM which is still running and is probably going to take a long time) of the campaign is going to be set mainly in Chondath, so I'm updating the thread with some information on that nation in my Realms. I tried not to repeat canon information too much, and build on it instead, but some duplication is inevitable for the sake of clarity.

Now I think I'm going to scavenge Swords of the Iron Legion and Gold & Glory for some lore to develop a list of mercenary companies and the like active in the southern Vilhon.

Any feedback or input would be welcome, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  05:17:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You wouldn't happen to have an updated map? There aren't too many settlements on your map, and what little I can make-out I can't read. I was looking for a locale or three to flesh-out my homebrew version of Sespech.

I note you've spread across the Nagaflow - I've split the continent at that point so settlements across the river won't work for me (at least not in Sespech). Really love what you've done so far.

Edited to add adulation.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2012 01:03:57
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  01:28:16  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I tend to add settlements as I go, when I have a reason to develop them for my campaign, as I generally don't want them to be just a dot in a map. I have since added the homebrew towns of Arsh and Passo Virraj in Sespech, and a bunch of canonical sites in Chondath (most of which don't have a precise location in the lore to my knowledge, so I put them where I thought they should be). I understand my writing is pretty difficult to see... this map was meant as an aid to my PnP campaign and not exactly for sharing on the internet. I'm thinking of making a new one on some graphical software, and extending it to cover northern Chondath and maybe Turmish. I'm a total noob with that sort of thing, so it won't be pretty, but it should be readable. I'll translate all placenames to English too.

While I don't do it...

Arsh is a minor trading town where the Golden Road crosses the Nagaflow (you can see it on the March of Nagaflow map). It is a barony ruled by Baron Moros Zolfass, a vassal of the Marquis of Via Įurea. It's also the first settlement with a proper inn in a two-day ride across the Golden Plains from Paragem do Trevo (if you don't count a cloister dedicated to Helm which may offer lodgings for a night), and has a busy barge service to cross the river... but I suppose it would be a seaport in your Realms.

Passo Virraj (Virrajford) is also a minor trading town built on each side of the first crossing point on the river Arran (obviously, the Virraj Ford) on the southeastern tip of the county of Passo Virraj. Countess Kemneera Rudith lives on a keep near the town. It's an obligatory stopping point for caravans and travellers going from Ormpetarr to Elbulder and back along the Virraj Trail, and has been seeing lots of growth, including a sizable Shaarian population. The town has a strong cattle and equine market - and though the Virrajian horse breeders still can't match the ones from Via Įurea, their best animals would be considered prime specimens in most places. The countryside is ruled by petty lords who have made the oath to the Countess after the War of Liberation displaced or killed most of the former nobles.

Edited by - Mapolq on 04 Dec 2012 01:56:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  04:05:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed mentioned that there is a 'Ford of Aralent' in Chessenta, but given the time frames involved, it is possible that ford is now located in Chondath (which was formerly part of Chessenta). By extension, Sespech was formerly part of Chessenta, but I think Sespech was settled/became independent long after Chondath broke from Chessenta. I only theorize that the ford may have been somewhere near the Chondath/Sespech border because of where the lost Prince's (Aralent) tomb is (just west of Hlondeth in the High Valley of Ospkur Aralent).

Anyhow, I appreciate the info. As I mentioned, my Sespech has become separate (the river is now a channel connecting the Inner sea to the Southern Seas), so the places east of the river are going to wind-up in what I see as a 'contest zone' between Chondath and Sespech (formerly part of Sespech, but it has gone back-and-forth several times, to the point where most of the towns, villages, and forts have been razed and razed again, so no-one much bothers to live there anymore). I'll try to throw a WIP up of the place later tonight. I think you might find its new neighbor interesting.

EDIT: A Map WIP of what I've done with it so far.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2012 07:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  02:07:50  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been away for a while, thus the lack of updates and replies. That also means I made no advances on my map whatsoever, either.

Markustay, seeing your map I think I'm getting what you meant. But the entirety or near-entirety of Sespech (except for Bavia and Alto Vassara, both of which I made up) are east of the Nagawater/Nagaflow. The plains on the west side are called the Serpent's Holding and are uninhabited, except by nomads of the Arnaden and the town of Nagarr in the south, which is not part of Sespech. Of course, that shouldn't constrain you in any way with your map, which is great. Reimagining stuff in a "what-if" scenario can be fun and interesting, even though I don't do it often.

I don't know about Sespech ever being a part of Chessenta... where did you get that info? I was under the impression that it was wilderness in the time of Jhaamdath and old Unther, and first colonized by Chondathians. I have to piece that stuff from several sources though, so I may have missed something.

Edit: do you mean it was a part of Chessenta right after Jhaamdath fell? That would make some sense... but from what I've read there wasn't any Chessentan influence left by the first century DR, since it goes totally unmentioned in the founding of the first Chondathian cities.

Edited by - Mapolq on 13 Jan 2013 02:11:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  16:48:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to check the timeline - I may have been making an assumption.

Chondath was part of Chessenta, and then for a very brief period Chessenta was part of Chondath (but that may have been over-written).

Sespech was part of Chondath (as recently as 1364!), and Chondath was originally part of Chessenta, so my assumption here is that Sespech must have also been part of Chessenta. The only discrepancy would be if the Sespech region was settled after Chondath broke from Chessenta. I picture (at that time) Chondath having been 'the frontier', and Sespech being like a march (a mostly-unclaimed area where the frontier turns into true wilderness). Once Chondath became a nation in its own right, the 'Sespech Marches' would have become 'the new frontier'.

As I said, this is all assumption - Ed would know more and be able to correct any inaccuracies. The lore he provided me/us about the Ford of Aralent in Chessenta (see THIS PAGE) makes me think that the borders of Chessenta did indeed extend all the way to Erlkazar at one point, which means Sespech should have been considered an 'untamed border region' by the Chessentans (and that the Ford of Aralant may now be in Chondath if the borders shifted like that).

We really NEED a Vilhon Reach splat in 5e - there is a lot of 'fuzzy' lore about the region, and some clarifications are in order.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  17:28:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't taken into account for Jhaamdath - I had considered that 'too far back' to matter, but I realize now that was a bad assumption to make as well. The folk of Jhamdath were supposed to be of the same racial stock as those from Chessenta (the group the races book calls 'Chondathan', but since I find that confusing I've renamed them the 'Dathite' peoples).

So I picture the Dathite people - either now freed from the 'Imaskari tyranny' or pushed ahead of the wave of Mulan people fleeing the falling empire* - migrating west and south (because they would have hit the Inner Sea and stopped there... for a time). They got into contention with the elves of Nikerymath (the Chondalwood) and that was as far south as they could expand, but they continued west until they settled on the shores of the (then much-narrower) Vilhon Reach. Chessenta formed, and Jhamdaath formed about 4000 years later (MAN, those people spread slow! Ed needs to tweak FR's history, me thinks). The earliest mention of Chessenta in the GHotR is -9845 DR.

Ugh... just ran into a snafu - after consulting the GHotR it seems Chessenta didn't form until about 400 (500 now) years ago! It was part of Unther. That means Chondath would have been a Untherite Frontier and not a Chessentan one, and since the Jhamdaathans spread ACROSS that entire region to reach the Vilhon Reach, this means Sespech was a borderland between Unther and Jhaamdath. I'm not really seeing this history mesh very well - this region needs a Steven Schend and an Eric Boyd to fix it all. I hate messy history.

Personally I'd be happy if they just gt rid of Jhamdaath... psionics in D&D = YUCK.

So I guess you can do whatever you want, since the history for Sespech is a bit confusing. I have to wonder why the Dathites migrated past so much good territory to settle around the Vilhon, and why it took so long.

My Fix (in case 'the powers that be' are watching) - create another interim empire of the Dathite (Chondathan) peoples that existed either at the time of the fall of Imaskar or immediately after. This could have even been "the first Chessenta", or whatever (I hate fixes like that, but it would work). Personally I'd name it something else (the Dath Imperium has a nice ring to it, or 'Dathius' if they wanted to give it a bit more Grecco-Roman flavor). Actually, come to think of it, they don't even really need to do this - it could have just been a very loose confederation of citystates spreading from the Unther border all the way to the Vilhon (much like ancient Greece). That way the people and their culture could have been their 'all along', without us having to give them a national name (they could have been referred to as "the Chessen States", which evolved into Chessenta, and the name was formalized when Tchazzar came to power).

Patching FR history isn't as fun as it used to be. Since you are using a homebrew version of Sespech, you can just ignore all of this and say it happened the way you want it to.

*As for the Dathite (Chondathan) people themselves, I have homebrewed them to be an early (Minoan?) Earth-Mediterranean culture - the precursors of the Greeks and Romans. However, thats just to fix an obscure entry in some god-book (and a few mentions of Greek gods and the use of Greek names by a certain author), and we can just as easily ignore all of that an say the Dathites were indeed indigenous peoples of the Realms, who were displaced by the Mulan (who themselves displaced the earier Turami).

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jan 2013 17:31:53
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  18:35:16  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take the -9845 DR mention of Chessenta in the Sharksbane Wall entry as geographic help - it's like saying Stonehenge was built in Britain, even though there was no such thing as "Britain" at the time it was built.

The Jhaamdathians were already around by -5800 DR, and that means they're not likely to be Imaskari escapees, so I go with autochtonous peoples. However, I like your idea of the Dathites (though I prefer to go with Chessentans, it should become clear why). As I see it (and this is pure speculation), the Dathites (Chessentans) were Minoans and other early southern european peoples, taken from Earth by the Imaskari roughly at the same time as the people from Egypt and Mesopotamia, on the 2nd millenium BC or so (Yes, I'm a fan of the Stargate hypothesis as well). Now, by that time, the Jhaamdathians already had a flourishing civilization in what would become the Vilhon, and usually marked the end of Imaskari/Imaskari survivor expansion westwards. Now, when the Imaskar Empire fell, you had a few groups of people who had been their slaves: the Mulan (Egyptians) founded Mulhorand, and the Untheric and Chessentans founded Unther. Now, Chessentans might have been second class citizens on the Untheric empire, and settled mostly in the border with Jhaamdath (today's Chessenta), often trying to break free from the Empire. They succeeded around the time of the fall of Jhaamdath, establishing the First Chessentan Empire (Icelander speculates about it here: First Chessentan Empire). At that time, they expanded westwards (and also overseas to the Wizards' Reach), occupying the power vacuum left by fallen Jhaamdath. Somehow, though, their imperial designs were not very successful, and by the early 1st millenium DR Chessenta was reincorporated by Unther, only to break free again around 700 DR, and Jhaamdathian survivors were able to build independent cities on the shores of the Vilhon.

So, during the millenia in which Chessentans and Jhaamdathans shared a border, and the few centuries when old Jhaamdath was under Chessentan rule, I suppose the two ethnic groups may have intermingled. Sometimes I also try to fit in a few gods that are very Greek-like by saying they were brought by the Chessentans when the Godswall fell, but changed significatively. So Lathander could be Apollo, who eventually made his way into the Talfiric and Faerūnian Pantheons. Similarly, Sune might be Aphrodite, and Tyche would be, well, Tyche (though I'm not very familiar with these goddesses' histories in the Realms).

So modern Chondathians would actually be of mixed Chessentan and Jhaamdathian ancestry, most of the time. But as Sespech is concerned, I say the earliest colonization effort started at the 2nd century DR, by people who already called themselves Chondathians or something like that. Before that, it was Nikerymath, an elven land.

I'm not Steven Schend, of course, but I hope I managed to tie most of the stuff together.

Edited by - Mapolq on 15 Jan 2013 18:37:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  17:42:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mapolq

I take the -9845 DR mention of Chessenta in the Sharksbane Wall entry as geographic help - it's like saying Stonehenge was built in Britain, even though there was no such thing as "Britain" at the time it was built.
Yes, I realized that after I typed that first part (all I did was search 'Jhaamdath' in the GHotR).

quote:

The Jhaamdathians were already around by -5800 DR, and that means they're not likely to be Imaskari escapees, so I go with autochtonous peoples. However, I like your idea of the Dathites (though I prefer to go with Chessentans, it should become clear why). As I see it (and this is pure speculation), the Dathites (Chessentans) were Minoans and other early southern european peoples, taken from Earth by the Imaskari roughly at the same time as the people from Egypt and Mesopotamia, on the 2nd millenium BC or so (Yes, I'm a fan of the Stargate hypothesis as well). Now, by that time, the Jhaamdathians already had a flourishing civilization in what would become the Vilhon, and usually marked the end of Imaskari/Imaskari survivor expansion westwards. Now, when the Imaskar Empire fell, you had a few groups of people who had been their slaves: the Mulan (Egyptians) founded Mulhorand, and the Untheric and Chessentans founded Unther. Now, Chessentans might have been second class citizens on the Untheric empire, and settled mostly in the border with Jhaamdath (today's Chessenta), often trying to break free from the Empire. They succeeded around the time of the fall of Jhaamdath, establishing the First Chessentan Empire (Icelander speculates about it here: First Chessentan Empire). At that time, they expanded westwards (and also overseas to the Wizards' Reach), occupying the power vacuum left by fallen Jhaamdath. Somehow, though, their imperial designs were not very successful, and by the early 1st millenium DR Chessenta was reincorporated by Unther, only to break free again around 700 DR, and Jhaamdathian survivors were able to build independent cities on the shores of the Vilhon.

So, during the millenia in which Chessentans and Jhaamdathans shared a border, and the few centuries when old Jhaamdath was under Chessentan rule, I suppose the two ethnic groups may have intermingled. Sometimes I also try to fit in a few gods that are very Greek-like by saying they were brought by the Chessentans when the Godswall fell, but changed significatively. So Lathander could be Apollo, who eventually made his way into the Talfiric and Faerūnian Pantheons. Similarly, Sune might be Aphrodite, and Tyche would be, well, Tyche (though I'm not very familiar with these goddesses' histories in the Realms).

So modern Chondathians would actually be of mixed Chessentan and Jhaamdathian ancestry, most of the time. But as Sespech is concerned, I say the earliest colonization effort started at the 2nd century DR, by people who already called themselves Chondathians or something like that. Before that, it was Nikerymath, an elven land.
That works for me. I never liked the 'everyone is from another world' part of the Realms (some things, but it was over-used), but we do have a few odd (canon) entries mentioning that stuff, so your fix is good.

quote:

I'm not Steven Schend, of course, but I hope I managed to tie most of the stuff together.
Sometimes we all have to "get a little Steven Schend" (even Steven Schend).

*Fixed whooping big link for you.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jan 2013 17:45:26
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  18:00:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Minoan idea...Ixinos first inhabitants would be females of Greek/Minoan origin...

I like the idea on Lathander/Apollo too!

I've really enjoyed your work here so far Mapolq...it's one of my favorite "builds" on Candlekeep for a nation!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  15:17:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup - if I ever get my PCs down to Sespech I will be shamelessly looting all of this.

@Dalor - wait until you see what I've done with 'your' Ixinos. Its now part of the Kingdom of Alvalon (which is based around Absalom from PF, which I shoe-horned into that part of the Inner sea... one Inner Sea is as good as any other).

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Feb 2013 15:17:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000