Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What to do with shadow dragon's scales?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xmaxx
Acolyte

France
39 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  18:07:42  Show Profile Send xmaxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My PC group has killed a very young shadow dragon one year ago.
A halfling burglar kept some scales in his backpack and is now wondering what to do with it?

What Magical item/weapon/armor could he make with them?

Any idea/ref/rules?? (2nd ed. only)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  18:29:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They make very good sunglasses.

Per the 2E Monstrous Manual, shadow dragons have the following abilities, based on age:

As they age, they gain the following additional powers: mirror image three times a day (juvenile), dimension door twice a day (adult), non-detection three times a day (old), shadow walk once a day (venerable), and create shadows three times a day at great wyrm.

So, I would say that armor could be made that might do one or more of those abilities, at a much cheaper cost than regular armor could be similarly enchanted. Or maybe some other wearable, again that can be enchanted to do one of these things more readily than non-shadow dragon scales could be.

Or maybe just the simplest approach would be armor that really blends into shadows well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  18:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, I'm glad to see another 2e DM. It's good to know there are more people playing (IMO) the best D&D edition.

Now for your question. "Some" scales from such a small dragon, especially after all the damage of a fight, likely means it's not possible to use them as armor or shield (even a small one).

What's more likely is to use it as an exotic component for a separate magical item related to darkness, shadow, or life draining. For instance, dissolve the scales in a strong acid, and you could have the base for the ink to inscribe a scroll of darkness, ray of enfeeblement, or maybe enervation (with the correct quill, of course).

Alternately, make a tincture from the scales (steep them in alcohol), then use the tincture as part of the bigger process of creating a more permanent item. Steep the larger item in the tincture for a day or two during construction. Off the top of my head, it would be fitting for swords of life stealing, vampiric rings of regeneration, possibly swords of dragon slaying, and the helm of darkness and wand of darkness from The Magister.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

xmaxx
Acolyte

France
39 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  11:32:23  Show Profile Send xmaxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your suggestions.
My player and I have talked, and it seems a custom 'cloak of darkness' (+15% Hide in Shadows) will be made soon, if he can afford the price ;-)

Edited by - xmaxx on 11 Aug 2015 11:33:33
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  13:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a perfect item to use the scales in.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000