Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Familiar/pet for thieves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xmaxx
Acolyte

France
39 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  19:10:49  Show Profile Send xmaxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all

(2nd ed.)
In my FR campaign,a halfling Burglar would like to have a pet/familiar.
Is that possible? And how?

Ref. rules?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  20:35:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pet is easy. I'm not sure if 2E rules support him having it as a familiar. It can be done with multiclassing, but if I remember correctly, 2E didn't allow for halfling wizards.

Paizo did introduce rules for non-spellcaster familiars, but that's obviously not 2E.

What I would do is create a magical item -- or perhaps linked magical items, one for the person and one for the familiar -- that create something similar to the familiar bond. I'd tweak it a bit, though -- make it similar, but not quite the same thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  22:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the halfling is a high enough leveled thief, then technically the halfling could read a Find Familiar spell scroll.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  01:39:58  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A mask with legs. In the spirit of 3.x copycattery, where psionicists had crystals with legs for familiars.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  02:41:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even a scroll to Find Familiar would not work IMO. Not counting the chance of error, the spell only helps a Wizard (Magic User) find a familiar. I have not found anything that reading the spell and it works without error that a thief would be able to keep a familiar.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  16:49:04  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can just picture a cute little puppy barking just as a thief is lifting a priceless jeweled necklace off of a sleeping target...

Of course Aladdin did have Babu.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 21 Jul 2015 16:50:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  17:40:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I can just picture a cute little puppy barking just as a thief is lifting a priceless jeweled necklace off of a sleeping target...

Of course Aladdin did have Babu.

A raven or a ferret would be thematically appropriate for a thief, thinks I. Obviously, some animals are less suitable.

Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  20:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cats and Catwoman.
Raven would be useful for who takes notice of another bird perched atop a building watching a window? Dog seems a little odd, cant climb and would have to be carried for those rooftop escapes, i like little monkey, used that one myself.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  21:24:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

Cats and Catwoman.
Raven would be useful for who takes notice of another bird perched atop a building watching a window? Dog seems a little odd, cant climb and would have to be carried for those rooftop escapes, i like little monkey, used that one myself.

I just picked a dog to use a bad example. Any animal following around a thief could make noise at an inopportune time.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  21:30:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just picked a dog to use a bad example. Any animal following around a thief could make noise at an inopportune time.

Not a giraffe *G* , though a little had to hide, could make a good ladder.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  21:36:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

Cats and Catwoman.

Maybe, maybe not. Gelatinous cubes are pretty quiet.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  22:03:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

But they eat every thing they get hold of except metal and gems and you need to kill "pet" in order to get the metal quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  22:21:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

But they eat every thing they get hold of except metal and gems and you need to kill "pet" in order to get the metal quickly.

Nah, just have a convenient large sieve handy.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  02:05:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
without a doubt.... tressym.... or miniaturized griffin

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  02:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

without a doubt.... tressym.... or miniaturized griffin

Definitely tressym. However, I also like the changecat from Greyhawk Adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  03:07:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tressym or griffon seems a bit exotic and rare for your everyday thief.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  04:28:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tressym or griffon seems a bit exotic and rare for your everyday thief.

Tressym are somewhat common in some places; as I recall, Eveningstar is one of them.

As for miniature griffons, in one of my long-ago Hooks, I had someone use the spell Duhlark's Animerge, from the City of Splendors boxed set, to make miniature griffons. They were a cross between falcons and housecats, and wound up breeding true. I have since dubbed these "falcats."

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  23:22:42  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a miniature giant space hamster? I understand they also give great advice on many subjects.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  00:20:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

How about a miniature giant space hamster? I understand they also give great advice on many subjects.

Sadly, hamsters are not the most nimble of critters, and that may not be desirable for a rogue-type.

Hamsters are often quite adorable, though.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Aug 2015 00:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  02:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sadly, hamsters are not the most nimble of critters, and that may not be desirable for a rogue-type.

Hamsters are often quite adorable, though.

Ferrets can be adorable. As a pet/familiar/animal companion they are "class appropriate."
Other options could be raccoon, maybe even a skunk. A trained skunk could use its musk as a deterrent if the thief was caught in the act and needed the diversion for escaping. Even the hounds that might be deployed wouldn't chase after a skunk.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  18:58:52  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe a displacer beast kitten, or a blink dog.

It could teleport in and out of places that the halfling couldn't break in to.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000