Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Baldur's Gate III? Baldur's Gate remake?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  01:49:22  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Something is afoot.

http://baldursgate.com/ went live recently. Just a teaser page now, but if you check the source code (as one of my friends did), you see this:

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->

<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->

<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

<!-- As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life. -->

Remakes of the original games using a new form of the Infinity Engine? A sequel using InfEng 2.0? Something else entirely? Intriguing...

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  02:04:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That's what it sounds like, a remake. Wonder if they'll keep the rules 2e or update them to 4e.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  02:16:44  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two reasons I'm thinking it's a sequel, not a remake.

First and foremost, blind, Pollyanna-ish optimism.
Second, it says that Infinity Engine is being raised from the dead and made better than ever, not Baldur's Gate per se.

Either way, I'm excited to see what comes of this.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  02:43:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hmm, that's true. It says "Raise Dead: Infinity Engine...blah, blah, blah, And then... it returned. Better than it was before.", with it being defined as 'Infinity Engine', not 'Baldur's Gate'.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  02:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an absolute fan of BG I & II, I am very excited to hear about this, and to hear that music again!!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  10:45:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. Hope this comes out soon, remake or sequel I ll buy it anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  13:48:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those data are not in the OP's site sourcecode. If they were, they have been removed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  13:55:49  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. I just checked with Chrome and Firefox and they're still there, for me at least. Right up at the beginning of the code, and then the line about the moon down at the very bottom.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  15:21:58  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's likely a version of the Infinity Engine for tablets/phones. The raging arousal many game studios have for gaming on phones and tablets is insane.

I'm hoping/wishing they revisit the Infinity Engine in a similar fashion to Diablo III, meaning a sequel. Not a direct continuation of ToB, as that story wrapped up, but about a different Child of Bhaal, whose powers/nature didn't "awaken" until after the events of ToB. Or perhaps about someone dealing with the legacy of the Bhaalspawn and their effects on the Realms, if not a Bhaalspawn themselves.

Ultimately though, I'm still pretty sure it's just going to be all the Infinity Engine games made for tablets.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 29 Feb 2012 15:58:05
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  02:47:20  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More hidden source code updates today:

<!-- Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! --> replaces the Irenicus "memory of a memory" spiel and all that up top.

and at the end <!-- I can teach you how to use your wrath. -->
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  16:59:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Who wouldn't want the favor of Boo, the miniature Giant Space Hamster?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  17:10:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The header metadata is at the site today. Interesting that the www registry reports it's an anonymous proxy site run through GoDaddy.com (LLC), while Wizbro uses NetworkSolutions.com and provides detailed technical contact information.

[Edit]
I personally suspect it's just domain parking. I also suspect it's not owned by Wizbro, although I could be (and hope that I am) wrong.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Mar 2012 17:23:30
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  18:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, intriguing. I'd love to see this resurrected, although I'd be gutted if it was just for phones / tablets as they're too small for me to game on. Having said that, if they were reviving the game rather than just the engine I doubt that they'd want to exclude all those loyal players by limiting the gaming platforms.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  22:51:18  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Let's get ready for the "come back"..

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  00:40:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Lily M Green
... if they were reviving the game rather than just the engine I doubt that they'd want to exclude all those loyal players by limiting the gaming platforms.
I think the engine would need to be rewritten, although the softcoded game content and now-classic graphic data could be recycled without any discrete alteration. These great old games just aren't quite compatible with modern operating systems, unless you're a bit lucky or fiddle around with DOSBox or something. Retail game titles have to work out-of-the-box, whether it be on phones and tablets or on PCs.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  10:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Infinity Engine coming back would be great!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  05:51:52  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope it's a remake and not a sequel or baldur's gate on steam or phone or something equally, in my opinion, worthless (the sequel would be excluded from the 'worthless' category). If it was a sequel I would like it to be a new story with a new protagonist but have the story still tied into the bhaalspawn...something to do with Imoen (a bhaalspawn) twenty or so years later. Just a thought, I'm still hoping for a remake that keeps the 2e rules and uses an engine that is extremely similar to infinity engine. Really, what I'm trying to say is I just want a HD version of BG1 and BG2.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  14:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Lily M Green
... if they were reviving the game rather than just the engine I doubt that they'd want to exclude all those loyal players by limiting the gaming platforms.
I think the engine would need to be rewritten, although the softcoded game content and now-classic graphic data could be recycled without any discrete alteration. These great old games just aren't quite compatible with modern operating systems, unless you're a bit lucky or fiddle around with DOSBox or something. Retail game titles have to work out-of-the-box, whether it be on phones and tablets or on PCs.

The www.gog.com versions work fine in their unmodded state on Win 7. Before I installed them I had read all sorts of things about instability and having to run in compatibility mode to get the games to play properly but they're fine. They also run fine with mods, so long as the mods are installed in a specific order. I can imagine that so tweaking or rewriting would need to go on for the games to work on other platforms like XBox or PS3, though.

I'm wondering if rather than a sequel it'll be an HD version like the project to transfer BGII to the DA engine, perhaps that project has become official?

EDIT: Or, alternatively, wild speculation time, feel free to laugh at my lunacy...

Given that there is 5E in the works and both the Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series' were left unfinished (and unlinked), and the events in BG:DA II (apparently) happened comparatively close to the Spellplague in the timeline, perhaps there are plans afoot to use what is probably the best known part of the Forgotten Realms franchise outside of gaming circles to introduce the option for an alternate timeline?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate

Edited by - Lily M Green on 04 Mar 2012 14:19:39
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  23:43:19  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green
I'm wondering if rather than a sequel it'll be an HD version like the project to transfer BGII to the DA engine, perhaps that project has become official?

Highly doubtful. Despite it looking like quite a nice mod I doubt it is of a professional standard.

quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green
Given that there is 5E in the works and both the Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series' were left unfinished (and unlinked), and the events in BG:DA II (apparently) happened comparatively close to the Spellplague in the timeline, perhaps there are plans afoot to use what is probably the best known part of the Forgotten Realms franchise outside of gaming circles to introduce the option for an alternate timeline?

I most certainly hope not. I had believed that such a horrible game (in my opinion, although it did allow for some entertaining two player) was not canon. The only reason it even has "Baldur's Gate" in the title is because of licensing reasons. As far as I am concerned it is simply "Dark Alliance". It infuriates me when I am talking to my friends and mention "Baldur's Gate" to have one of them say: Yeah that was a good game. What!? You've played it awesom....wait what platform did you play it on? Oh, I played it on PS2. NO!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  18:36:17  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a counter up at the site now. Looks like we'll get the big revelation around 3:00 PM Eastern tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  19:07:50  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
very interesting!!!But why there is not www in the start of the link address????

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  20:16:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya know what's pretty funny, 4E rules would work damn well with Infinity Engine. Turn Undead would be much better and melee classes....well I think they'd turn out better than just auto-attack the whole time. Which, as a downside, meant that you could just focus on the spellcasting guys and let the meat-shields do their work in peace, lol.

Either way.......I'm ridiculously excited (even if it's 2E/AD&D rules)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  21:25:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

-Even though it's a video game and it does all of the calculations for you, the fact that Baldur's Gate used 2e rules was the main reason I never really could get into the game, having not played with those rules. There was something about THAC0 and negative armor classes was especially upsetting.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  23:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else getting a message the site is temporarily down?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  01:08:28  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Anyone else getting a message the site is temporarily down?

I did when I went to www....... but when I took out the www it works fine. I don't think I have actually counted down to anything ever before. Also, is the music that now plays on the site new? I can't remember and I used to play BG1&2 religiously, although the last time I played it was 2 or so years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  01:14:00  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

-Even though it's a video game and it does all of the calculations for you, the fact that Baldur's Gate used 2e rules was the main reason I never really could get into the game, having not played with those rules. There was something about THAC0 and negative armor classes was especially upsetting.

Baldur's Gate introduced me to not only the Forgotten Realms but also to Dungeons and Dragons as well. So I'm hoping, if it is a remake or sequel, that they keep using the same rules.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  01:39:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the rules are concerned, I'm really curious. We've seen D&D video games follow the d20 AC mechanic (meaning it scales up instead of down) and a progressive attack bonus instead of THAC0. Really, it's just another way of looking at the same formula and the game does do all the math for you. I'd like to see just 3 saves however (being Fort, Ref, Will) instead of the 5 or so from it's previous counterparts.

But really, those are minor quibbles I have. I've seen 2E/AD&D rules work fantastic in the game (BG, IWD games) and I've seen 3E rules work similarily. If I remember correctly, Icewind Dale 2 worked pretty much with 3E rules and all the NWN stuff worked with 3E rules too. So I don't see why they can't use either of these rulesets either (or even 4E, but I think it's unlikely that'll happen).
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  09:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Less than 10 hours to go. I'll probably find out what it is tomorrow, as I'll be driving home at 8 pm my time today...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  12:03:02  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
7 hours left. Hmmm...5 AM for me.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  17:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait! Baldur's Gate was what got me into D&D and Forgotten Realms in the first place. A friend of mine let me borrow it, and this kid disappeared for three weeks. When he came out, his mother was impressed with the improvement in his math skills and reasoning. I've been learning Realmslore since.
I hope it's something good, like a BG3, or something. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, I have to work when the announcement is made, so I'll have to wait until tonight for the news.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2012 :  20:06:35  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the servers were overwhelmed. But some news has surfaced: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=3b6c0e6ef0c1deb880f420476&id=6ae2f577cd
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000