Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Get Ready for Eberron
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  12:51:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Delete Topic
On the WotC site, there is a new monthly feature. It is set to detail, and introduce the new WotC campaign setting of 'Eberron' due for release in July 2004. It is interesting, although not very original...

Also on offer is a special booklet that is available for download. It is called Across Eberron and outlines the themes and general mood of the new setting. It also features some conceptual artwork from the setting as well as, a partial map of the world of Eberron.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  14:52:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth
It is set to detail, and introduce the new WotC campaign setting of 'Eberron' due for release in July 2004. It is interesting, although not very original...

Definitely doesn't seem to be very original and, no offense to those who disagree, it doesn't seem to be very interesting at all either.

Granted, I'll wait til I hear a full review before passing sentence. However, I don't think that FR has to worry about this setting replacing it in any way, shape, or form in regards to popularity.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  15:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
I checked out some of the artwork in a previous issue of Dragon Magazine.... looks great....although I doubt ill venture into this campaign, I have enough on with FR and RL

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  15:20:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well Met

Eberron eh? Dont remember hearing of such a place. Must be around here somewhere!?

::wanders off scratching his head whilst looking puzzled over a map of Toril::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 17 Dec 2003 15:20:51
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  19:47:57  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message
I wonder if it will be added to Toril... At the very least there need to be a Empire of Cannibalistic Halflings. That's what Toril needs, a Hidden Empire of The Feral Hin! Gnomes and such get the shaft when it comes to kingdom power...it vexes me so. Much like THE ENDLESS WAVES OF BAD DOGGY WEREWOLF MONSTERS THAT BITE YOUR TOES WHILE YOU SLEEP!!!!!

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  21:33:17  Show Profile
It looks horrible. I'm not exactly enchanted by the whole technological angle, either.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  23:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

It looks horrible. I'm not exactly enchanted by the whole technological angle, either.

Care to expand, Arivia? I dont know much about the setting at all (actually i know NOTHING about it....just the pictures look good )...Seems a bit Dune-ish or some such!?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2003 :  23:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
OOps, maybe i should have followed Sage's link at the start of the topic

...i see what you mean now though. Hmmmmmmm, not as intrigued as I was before....although maybe im just stuck in my ways in the high fantasy genre and too much of a loyal FR fan

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  06:03:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I am in agreement with most of the opinions expressed here already about the Eberron setting.

Although I am disappointed that WotC stuck with the some of the same general themes inherent in most of their (and third-party) published fantasy settings (they really did have an opporrunity to break the mold for fantasy settings with this contest...just consider some of the ideas that did not make it), I can understand why they did what they did...in the end, this setting will generate the profits they are probably hoping for...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  07:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
That does seem to be the final reason for everything, doesn't it? So much for that old column in TSR's ledgers that must have listed the 'fun profit.'

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  12:23:08  Show Profile
How the times have changed...
Wizards seems to have this need to make everything more mechanical...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  12:31:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
In an effort to make this scroll more Realms-friendly (and keep Alaundo happy )...

Based on what has been presented so far, does anyone here think they will be incorporating any material from the Eberron setting into their FR campaign?...

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Dec 2003 12:32:42
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  15:18:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Based on what has been presented so far, does anyone here think they will be incorporating any material from the Eberron setting into their FR campaign?...

Nope. Not at all. Now, in Quarter 2 of next year, D20 publisher, Guardians of the Order, will be releasing a sourcebook for gaming in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice world. That setting is something I can see incorporating into my FR world.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  16:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

In an effort to make this scroll more Realms-friendly (and keep Alaundo happy )...

Well met

Youre learning, Sage Incidently, a bunch of scrolls landed on my desk this morning entitled "Dragon Magazine Issue 315" which has information on this Eberron you speak of.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  08:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Oh my!

Did he just tell us that there is now information on a non-Realms world inside the walls of Candlekeep?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  11:34:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed...

It appears that we are not the only ones here, who ocassionally slip up, from time to time...eh Alaundo...?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  17:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

Indeed...

It appears that we are not the only ones here, who ocassionally slip up, from time to time...eh Alaundo...?

Well met

Ahem, but I was merely.....er....er.... anyway, hows that tome on Lantanese Sky-hooks coming on, Sage?!

Hmmmmm, yes, and you, yes you Bookwyrm.....what about that Minotaur Labyrinth map restoration?!

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 19 Dec 2003 17:03:40
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2003 :  22:53:42  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message
* Peers out from behind Alaundo And snickers at Sage and Bookwyrm*

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  17:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message
Eberron seems all very nice and good, but i really don't know if it will win WoTC more money, I can't see too many people buying it... I mean what they really want is a swashbuckling setting, sailing the high seas and fighting pirates and such like .
As for the adaption Eberron seems somewhat unique in some areas, and i don't think it would be wise to adapt for FR, However a swashbuckling campaign ont he other hand would be excellent with so many great items that could be adapted... .
Rad has hit the nail on the head, there are soo many Campaign Settings, both commecial and free ones (Especially on the net) No offence the the creator of Eberron- infact i take my hat of to him, but i honestly think wizards should be concentrating on bringing alot of FR and Greyhawk to 3.5 or 3E . There alot of people who don't have time, or the know how to convert 1st or 2nd edition stuff to 3.5 (or 3E ) Or are just plain too Lazy! I think that Wizards should stick with developing the already existing Campaign settings, not take on board another one- i mean the sold the rights to Ravenloft (Such a good setting ). but hey thats just me- other may like it.
Ach well I'll go back to dreaming about my swashbuckling Campaign Setting

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2003 :  09:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
I was intrigued at first, I was considering purchasing the main core campaign book when it gets released..the artwork looks great......until I saw the free download booklet....which had an image of a steam train!! Nope, Eberron isnt for me!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  13:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message
I will probably but the core campaign setting when its released, but only to add to my collection of rare and arcane scrolls, i dont think i will run a game on it.

I agree with my learned elven colleauge there is so much of Toril still to be covered it seems like a waste of creative resources and energy bringing out an entirely new setting.

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  13:44:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Overall, I really do not think I will bother purchasing anything from the Eberron product line, unless it involves something that I can incorporate into my FR (or any other campaign setting) games.

I have been sorely disappointed with the lack of originality on this project, so much so, that it fails to bring forth anything (at least so far) that can even compare with existing and already established settings.

Go to Top of Page

RealmProtector
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  03:15:01  Show Profile Send RealmProtector a Private Message
I don't think I'll be picking up Eberron either. At it's msrp anyway if it has anything useful in it for an FR campaign, I may pick it up if Amazon puts it at 60% off like they did Compete Warrior and the Draconomicon.

I agree WotC dropped the originality ball on this on I just can's see this being the best out of 11,000+ entries...

Nice to be back here I missed these forums.

They say that life's a carousel spinning back you gotta ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's Heaven and Hell
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:24:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RealmProtector

I agree WotC dropped the originality ball on this on I just can's see this being the best out of 11,000+ entries...

Some D20 companies have picked up some semi-finalist settings for publication. Goodman games released Morningstar and FFG released Dawnforge. Be interesting to see those two in comparison to Eberron once the latter is published.
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  19:04:51  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message
If you look here, you will see a lot of gathered information about Ebberon. Right now, I am undecided against Ebberon, but the more I learn about it, the more I like it, though, Forgotten Realms will always be my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  05:56:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I also believe there is to be a trilogy series of novels that chronicle an important era of Eberron history...

Go to Top of Page

Simon Says
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  05:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Simon Says's Homepage Send Simon Says a Private Message

I may soon feel like a doe surrounded by rabid Faerun wolves, but I'll take the chance of getting publicly eaten, sure, sounds like fun.

I LIKE what I've seen of Eberron. Being a Realmslover myself, I've adventured (and DMed) just about every FR land short of Maztica. Not that I'm burnt out of FR, but I'm always looking for something new and different.

I can't understand the critics who say Eberron looks like stuff they've seen before ... unless they mean "looks like EVERYTHING". Because that's what it seems to be, but with twists. Here are some of the things I like:

Psionics. FR seems almost allergic to psionics; Eberron has an entire continent (not the main continent, but an adjacent one) seemingly enslaved (or merely ruled in a strict fashion, that's still under debate) by a race of psions.

The Warforged. A new race of sentient man-sized golems with, apparently, the ability to "add on" parts for battle.

(A wholly seperate and, ah, INTERESTING debate centers around whether or not they can get add-ons for ... uh ... wait, is this site PG-13? Nevermind)

High magic / low level. Oxymoron you say? Axeymoron sez I! Magic is common enough that it has become a sort of technology (lighting street lamps, the now-infamous "choo-choo train" called the lightning rail, etc.) ... yet the world, having just finished an all-encompassing war, finds itself without any high level NPC's remaining alive. Put it this way: one of the most powerful clerics in the world ... is 16th level.

So while magic is common enough, "raise dead" spells won't be.

Rather the anti-Realms, neh?

So I'm certainly excitied! Will it cause me to throw away all my FR stuff?? Uh-----NO. But it certainly looks interesting enough to warrant more than a peek!

Now please ... kill me softly.

And the trees were all kept equal - by hatchet, axe, and saw. --Peart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  08:31:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I wouldn't say that FR as a setting is allergic to psionics. It's just that psionics have never been a big part of Faerunian history. Arcane, and divine magic have always been the mainstay of the Realms, and will continue to be so long after psionics has had it's time in the sun, so to speak...

Other lands outside of Faerun have more to do with psionics, the main example being Al-Qadim, but that unfortunately never had a large enough following to be fully developed anyway. Maybe psionics would have had a large following in FR if Zakhara had been developed more and brought into the FR proper...

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  18:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message
I must say when my apprentice dropped the morning's correspondence on my desk and the word 'Eberron' appeared on one of the parchments I nearly chocked on my morning tea. After further investigation, and of course consultation with my map of the multiverse, I have deduced Eberron appears to be another portion of the Prime Material, some place parallel to, but not part of, Toril. A fascinating discovery; I will have to planeswalk there sometime and take a look around. One never knows if he will find a new species of tree he would want to export back to Toril.

First, I will be brief, so as to not tempt Alaundo's wrath. Honestly, not only is Eberron unoriginal sounding, but it also smells a bit like a Final Fantasy storyline to me. But, in any case, unless they plan to resurrect Planescape anytime soon, they better not expect me to actually pay for their books. Now, if the Eberron Campaign Setting fell off the back of a truck, I would pick it up, of course.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  01:15:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
...resurrect Planescape...?

Edain, you may be interested in reading this then.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  04:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message

I'm...speechless...wow...that...that makes my day. Sage, I love you man. I am gonna send you some steaks.

On Eberron, anyone else think the new setting is kinda on the not-so creative side of the spectrum, especially when you consider the other settings which were pitched to Wizards.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page