Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Underworld: Awakening
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:30:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So... vampires....

Anyone have any weird ideas about them? When I ran Greyhawk, I had a caveman vampire - it was pretty funny.

A vampiric angel would be kinda cool (and I'm sure its not allowed in RAW... but who cares?)

I guess a vampiric goat would just be a chupacabra.

A sentient construct which used to be fed with spells by its creator accidentally plunged in the Pool of Purple Blood, something its master brewed using vampire hearts and meat, demon blood, and a shadowdragon's eyes. That made it the very first vampire construct in the world.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:33:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I think they turned the series pro vampire in order to appeal to the screaming teenage girl crowd that loves Edward Cullen and likes to have their blood sucked or whatever...

Well, Celine is a vampire, in the first place. If you make a character loathe her very being, her existence, and her kind, then you'd end up having an extremely emo (not to mention annoying) character.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:38:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

The lesson I took from these movies was that both sides would've been a lot better off trying to work together as true partners (and kill Victor so it could happen).

I wouldn't be surprised if the creators conjure a new race as a big threat that would force the two camps (lycans and vampires) to join forces. Perhaps evil elves or shapeshifting firedrakes.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:49:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coming this Mother's Day....

Rise of the Mummies!

Actually, a zombie apocalypse would be kinda cool - they have to team-up to 'save mankind' (for different reasons, of course).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  02:02:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Resident Evil has done that. And will do it again. And again.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  02:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Coming this Mother's Day....

Rise of the Mummies!

Actually, a zombie apocalypse would be kinda cool - they have to team-up to 'save mankind' (for different reasons, of course).

Maybe they will just merge it with the Resident Evil movies since the same production company (Screen Gems) is behind them both and by the ads for the next installment Alice is taking some uniform cues from Celine. Just say the T Virus is the result of something or another interacting with some other Corvinus descendant. It violates Resident Evil game canon, but the movies diverged a long time ago so I am not sure anyone would really care at this point. At their heart, they are both series about creatures created by viruses. The Underworld movies will be the prequels.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  02:53:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then we can get them to fight Freddy & Jason, and Aliens & Predators.

Oh, and throw in the other Alice - American McGee's - just because you mentioned her.

And lets not forget Blade... Oh! And Batman... Yaeeeeeh... Batman!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  03:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And then we can get them to fight Freddy & Jason, and Aliens & Predators.

Oh, and throw in the other Alice - American McGee's - just because you mentioned her.

And lets not forget Blade... Oh! And Batman... Yaeeeeeh... Batman!

I should've mentioned that I didn't think it was a good idea. Just a thought that occured to me while I was watching the movie and thinking about the Resident Evil preview before the movie.

I don't really have a problem with AvP though as their resepctive comic universes are one and the same and the shout out in Predator 2 layed the ground work. They just need a 3rd one or a Predator 3 to try to finish tying it all together. I doubt Prometheus will provide much on this front.

As for Freddy and Jason, I liked it. Then again I liked the over-the-topness of Jason X so maybe I am not the best judge on that one.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  03:17:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You must let Violet Song Jat Shariff (Ultraviolet) and Robert Neville (I Am Legend) join the fun!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  03:22:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for Freddy and Jason, I liked it. Then again I liked the over-the-topness of Jason X so maybe I am not the best judge on that one.

I liked that film. But I was so unlucky to have watched it with a bunch of screaming girls. I could barely hear the dialog because of the noise.

In some scenes, I found Freddy more annoying than scary.

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Feb 2012 03:24:56
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  03:56:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do Vampires even dream?

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  04:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do Vampires even dream?

I would think they do if they sleep. But that may just be me attributing human characteristics to something that is no longer human. Maybe it depends on if they are virus vampires (created by the vampirus?) who still have functioning organs or if they are undead magic vampires who no longer have functioning organs. That's also if you attribute dreams to the brain (the organ) and not the mind (the abstract concept) I suppose. My vote goes with yes.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  04:40:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do Vampires even dream?

From Van Richten's Guide to Vampires:- "I once interrogated a vampire as to how it felt to hibernate. The creature described a condition of "sleep but not sleep," where thoughts are sluggish as thick honey and take months or years to flow. Where dream images interfere with true memories. Where sounds and sometimes smells from the surface find their way into the sanctuary, but disturb the mind no more than a rose petal falling on a still pool of water. Time has no meaning, hunger has no meaning. There is no future, there is no past. There is just the endless now."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  10:56:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

I think they turned the series pro vampire in order to appeal to the screaming teenage girl crowd that loves Edward Cullen and likes to have their blood sucked or whatever...

Well, Celine is a vampire, in the first place. If you make a character loathe her very being, her existence, and her kind, then you'd end up having an extremely emo (not to mention annoying) character.

Ah but she turned into something else when she drank the blood of Alexander Corvinus in Underworld Evolution.Also she had good cause to despise her race when she learned that Viktor, not the lycans, slaughtered her family.So why should she feel anything for the race that not only betrayed her but refused to apologize and scorned her.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  15:29:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage.

I made a joke about 'Freddy' above (which I have used in The Nightmare Lands), and then it occurred to me - would vampires even be susceptible to him? Apparently... but it would probably be hard for him, since their 'dreams' appear to be more like swimming through a thick sea of their own memories.

And I wonder if a vamp (or Lich) would be able to exert control over Jason... probably not. He's like a Revenant.

IMG (my HB world), the Shade-like, Elven Mæladrin (think Melnibonea) can 'suck life' from people, but its more like old-school D&D vamps. Humans that have been infused with the 'shadow stuff' (ectoplasm) have a more 'primitive' reaction, and become the regular blood-sucking types (not all, though - some manage to control it).

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Feb 2012 15:30:36
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:20:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah but she turned into something else when she drank the blood of Alexander Corvinus in Underworld Evolution.Also she had good cause to despise her race when she learned that Viktor, not the lycans, slaughtered her family.So why should she feel anything for the race that not only betrayed her but refused to apologize and scorned her.

She learned that not all vampires are like Viktor. And consider her "motherly love." Her daughter is part vampire. Any "good" mother wouldn't like to see her child slaughtered, would she?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:23:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Do Vampires even dream?

From Van Richten's Guide to Vampires:- "I once interrogated a vampire as to how it felt to hibernate. The creature described a condition of "sleep but not sleep," where thoughts are sluggish as thick honey and take months or years to flow. Where dream images interfere with true memories. Where sounds and sometimes smells from the surface find their way into the sanctuary, but disturb the mind no more than a rose petal falling on a still pool of water. Time has no meaning, hunger has no meaning. There is no future, there is no past. There is just the endless now."

The vampire's dreaming is like the dark version of the elves' Reverie.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:31:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I made a joke about 'Freddy' above (which I have used in The Nightmare Lands), and then it occurred to me - would vampires even be susceptible to him? Apparently... but it would probably be hard for him, since their 'dreams' appear to be more like swimming through a thick sea of their own memories.

No, I don't think Freddy can mentally "harm" vampires. Their dreaming is like a convergence between their conscious and subconscious mind, with the former "guiding" the latter's course. So any mental intrusion, if undesirable, could easily be expunged.

quote:

And I wonder if a vamp (or Lich) would be able to exert control over Jason... probably not. He's like a Revenant.

It all depends on who the lich is, and from where. If he's of Szass Tam's level, then it's a definite yes. Szass Tam effortlessly controlled a blood fiend (Tsagoth) who's ten times stronger than Jason.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:07:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

One of the reasons I agree with Diffan's suggestion of making the vampire protagonist a mage is that she would be able to learn a spell or create an artifact that would allow her to walk in daylight, perhaps by surrounding her with impenetrable shadows that stick to her being wherever she goes.

There is a spell to be found in the 3rd edition Lords of Darkness that does exactly that. It surrounds the wearer in shadows that protect them from sunlight. All you'd have to do is strap on the invisible metamagic (making the visible shadows, well, invisible), and bolt the spell to a ring.

Presto, you have yourself a daylight ring (or daylight-jewelry of your choice).

Been there, DONE THAT! I have an artifact in my campaigns that is precisely that- "Ring of hte Daywalker". It is an uberpowerful artifact that any ten vamps would give their fangs for. Not only lets one walk in sunlight, but immune to fire and gives one a "living" aura to fool mortals. Sadly, there is only one, as the vamp cabal of wizards who made it all killed each other over it shortly thereafter. It is currently in the possession of (one of) my big-bad vamp villain(s).

And Markus- Drizzt was NEVER the "only" good drow- Pretty sure Quilue and friends were aroung LOONG before him!! (Check the time-line- her founding of the Promenade was long before Drizzt was even a "twinkle" in Zaknafein's eye!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:08:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, we really don't know enough about the vampire that Van Richten was "interviewing."

I would expect that both age and relative power of the individual vampire affects how and why "dream images interfere with true memories."

For example, longer-lived vampires may have dreams which carry greater impact on their memories. Or vice versa. As ancient vampire lords grow in power, their dreams have less impact on their collected memories, as the lives they had before becoming a vampire, are slowly forgotten.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Feb 2012 01:09:18
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:34:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well, we really don't know enough about the vampire that Van Richten was "interviewing."

I would expect that both age and relative power of the individual vampire affects how and why "dream images interfere with true memories."

For example, longer-lived vampires may have dreams which carry greater impact on their memories. Or vice versa. As ancient vampire lords grow in power, their dreams have less impact on their collected memories, as the lives they had before becoming a vampire, are slowly forgotten.

That is, given that vampires don't retain their memories before their transformation to undead. However, some (or mostly all) do, right till the moment of their destruction.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  07:11:54  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

She learned that not all vampires are like Viktor. And consider her "motherly love." Her daughter is part vampire. Any "good" mother wouldn't like to see her child slaughtered, would she?

well thats true but her daughter is also part lycan and part whatever Corvinus was. Its unlikely she will ever be fully accepted by any faction. Heh maybe Celine should ally with the humans
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  07:21:21  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

[/quote]
I think it could be argued that the series has been relatively pro vampire from the start. The main character is a vampire. The bulk of the characters with any screen time are vampires. The vampires don't become monsterous just before they feed as they do in other series, while the lycans become completely inhuman. Celine hasn't shown the slightest bit of remorse in taking out lycans for a few centuries despite revelations from the movies. The vampires are shown as aristocratic types drinking cloned (or was it farmed, I can't recall) blood instead of killing live humans while it is stated that the only reason for the lycans to hunt a person would be to eat them (implying it is something they still like to do). This latest installment was somewhat pro lycan showing (again) that they have the ability to plot and scheme, in this case without Lucian, while the vampires are seemingly stuck in the past and have no desire to "enhance" themselves. The lesson I took from these movies was that both sides would've been a lot better off trying to work together as true partners (and kill Victor so it could happen).
[/quote]

While i am sure some werewolves did attack humans Victor greatly exaggerated this ' vicious and bloodthirsty ' nature in order to justify his purge. If you ask me the downtrodden werewolves like Lucian are more honorable and human than the disdainful aristocratic vampires.
As for working together I must admit the idea sounds appealing. When i first heard about the new movies i was sure that we would see some lycan vampire cooperation against the human threat. I mean wasn't that the whole point with the hybrids in the first place, and i suppose that the fact that the same old feud was being continued was what left me a bit disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  00:04:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

well thats true but her daughter is also part lycan and part whatever Corvinus was. Its unlikely she will ever be fully accepted by any faction. Heh maybe Celine should ally with the humans

No alliance is permanent. Who knows, Michael will die. And Celine would find a human lover and bear his son, who would have the strength and agility of a vampire but can walk in daylight. Then suddenly all vampires are hunting him down to suck his blood...to gain immunity to sunlight...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  00:12:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When i first heard about the new movies i was sure that we would see some lycan vampire cooperation against the human threat. I mean wasn't that the whole point with the hybrids in the first place, and i suppose that the fact that the same old feud was being continued was what left me a bit disappointed.

Emphasis mine.

Not really. Given that the hybrids are generally stronger than either vampires and lycans, they can rise as a new race and eradicate the two original races from which they were spawned.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  01:12:24  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

When i first heard about the new movies i was sure that we would see some lycan vampire cooperation against the human threat. I mean wasn't that the whole point with the hybrids in the first place, and i suppose that the fact that the same old feud was being continued was what left me a bit disappointed.

Emphasis mine.

Not really. Given that the hybrids are generally stronger than either vampires and lycans, they can rise as a new race and eradicate the two original races from which they were spawned.

To follow up, I thought Lucian's plan was to use the hybrid to wipe out the vampires or at least kill Victor.

As a general thought, I wonder why the Lycans are totally okay with further mutating themselves and embracing the idea of a hybrid while the vampires seem hell bent against it? I know Victor had a big influence on that, but the vampires are spread out and clearly have considerable financial resources and facilities so I would think it would've happened before Celine and Markus.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  01:32:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Emphasis mine.

To follow up, I thought Lucian's plan was to use the hybrid to wipe out the vampires or at least kill Victor.

As a general thought, I wonder why the Lycans are totally okay with further mutating themselves and embracing the idea of a hybrid while the vampires seem hell bent against it? I know Victor had a big influence on that, but the vampires are spread out and clearly have considerable financial resources and facilities so I would think it would've happened before Celine and Markus.

I suppose it's the latter. Killing Viktor would not have been enough, as someone as competent as he was could easily fill in his shoes.

To become a hybrid, I think, may not be that easy. Perhaps more than half of the lycans (or vampires) have "bad blood," or "genes," that mutation can only occur once in every hundred matching. Otherwise, we would have seen thousands of hybrids.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  01:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Emphasis mine.

I suppose it's the latter. Killing Viktor would not have been enough, as someone as competent as he was could easily fill in his shoes.

To become a hybrid, I think, may not be that easy. Perhaps more than half of the lycans (or vampires) have "bad blood," or "genes," that mutation can only occur once in every hundred matching. Otherwise, we would have seen thousands of hybrids.

With the hybrids I meant embracing the idea, not creating them. I think only the Corvinus descendants can become actual hybrids. Otherwise it would be as you said and there would some of them already around before Michael Though I don't know where that leaves Celine as she is "enhanced" at this point and is not related.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  11:47:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No alliance is permanent. Who knows, Michael will die. And Celine would find a human lover and bear his son, who would have the strength and agility of a vampire but can walk in daylight. Then suddenly all vampires are hunting him down to suck his blood...to gain immunity to sunlight...

Maybe you should submit this story idea to Columbia!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  13:57:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Probably will do. Then they can have Chris Hemsworth to play the mortal lover.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000