Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Underworld: Awakening
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  08:01:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

"Dear Dracula:

Remember that night in Transylvania we spent together, about 20 years ago or so?

You have a son. His name is Edward. Just thought you should know.

- Tinkerbell."

Can we stop spreading the Twilight hate in this thread and stick to the topic? There's an active thread for that which Fellfire made.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  08:06:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Vampires are central to the Ravenloft setting, whereas they are incidental to the Realms. I personally don't see any need to make vampires prominent in the Realms; to me a setting like Ravenloft seems far better suited for hosting tales of dark horror.

Who said having a vampire hero or villain in a book means it's got to be a tale of dark horror? Vampires aren't just to scare folks. They used to be humans, and sometime still think like them---and therefore share a distant similarity in goals and aspirations. The story could be an adventure, or an epic battle against some of Faerun's biggest badass.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  09:04:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am remembering two vampires - brothers (possibly twins) - and they were very different from one another (one good, the other evil). Can't recall where that was from - anyone? (1e LoD , perhaps?)

@Dennis - we are nerd fanbois, and 'haters' by our nature. Go to any LGS (or comic shop) and listen to the conversations - all we do is piss and moan.

And besides, in a thread like this, they are easy targets.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jan 2012 09:05:43
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  10:01:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, if you care to read my OP, I ask what anyone wants to include in a possible vampire-centric Realms novel, not what one DOESN'T WANT. If you hate Twilight, fine with me. Just spread it elsewhere, because I'm not asking for it here.

Anyway, about those twin vampires...They are Jeremiah and Jonathon, a lesser and greater vampire mentioned in Lords of Darkness, 1E, p. 42.

Edited by - Dennis on 30 Jan 2012 10:52:52
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  12:59:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I been a fan of the Underworld series from the beginning but am not sure if i liked this latest installment. I mean suddenly Celine decides to save the vampire race and werewolves are now the bad guys? If that's not pandering to the Twilight brigade then what is. Sorry i couldnt help myself.
It was a good film i suppose but still a little disappointing.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  13:20:24  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I been a fan of the Underworld series from the beginning but am not sure if i liked this latest installment. I mean suddenly Celine decides to save the vampire race and werewolves are now the bad guys? If that's not pandering to the Twilight brigade then what is. Sorry i couldnt help myself.

What does Celine saving vampires from bad humans and lycans have to do with Twilight? . Also, when one goes into see a 4th installment of Underworld, there has to be a caveat of knowing that it's probably NOT going to be as good as the first but hope that the storyline is done well (which I think it is, based off of reviews). Lots of action is a GOOD thing in these sorts of movies. Also, what's really left for them to battle? They can't go up against a "Dracula" style vampire because it's been played to death. I think adding in humans as a threat is a pretty interesting idea personally. Sort of like the cattle fighting back, lol.

I'm interested in seeing the movie as is my wife. But she didn't really care for Rise of the Lycans because I don't think she likes prequels nor the continunity problem of Sonja's hair being blonde in the 1st movie (in that quick flash back) to her raven black hair in the 3rd movie. It's a minor quibble for me, but for some reason it made her mad, lol.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  17:21:56  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

One of the reasons I agree with Diffan's suggestion of making the vampire protagonist a mage is that she would be able to learn a spell or create an artifact that would allow her to walk in daylight, perhaps by surrounding her with impenetrable shadows that stick to her being wherever she goes.

There is a spell to be found in the 3rd edition Lords of Darkness that does exactly that. It surrounds the wearer in shadows that protect them from sunlight. All you'd have to do is strap on the invisible metamagic (making the visible shadows, well, invisible), and bolt the spell to a ring.

Presto, you have yourself a daylight ring (or daylight-jewelry of your choice).

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  19:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

One of the reasons I agree with Diffan's suggestion of making the vampire protagonist a mage is that she would be able to learn a spell or create an artifact that would allow her to walk in daylight, perhaps by surrounding her with impenetrable shadows that stick to her being wherever she goes.

There is a spell to be found in the 3rd edition Lords of Darkness that does exactly that. It surrounds the wearer in shadows that protect them from sunlight. All you'd have to do is strap on the invisible metamagic (making the visible shadows, well, invisible), and bolt the spell to a ring.

I assume for a plot like that this would be one of those times that the rules are ignored. Similar to how the resurrection spells don't get used very often in the fiction despite all of us (and many of the characters in story) knowing that they exist. Or the ring (or whatever) could have other attributes as well making it unique. There was a very early episode of Angel where he got a ring that made him immune to just about every way to kill a vampire (if I am recalling correctly, it's been a while). Something like that could up the odds. Or, maybe the character is trying to fight their new nature and trying to find some means to get around having to drink blood. To avoid Twilight (or Angel) comparisons the brooding needs to be kept to the bare minimum. Not so much "woe is me, I am an immortal killer who is allergic to the sun now" and more "well, this kind of sucks (no pun intended). I'm not going to let this slow me down so I need to find a way around these limitations" I think a mage of some kind would make the most sense and there is no conflict with their power source (as might be an issue with a cleric or druid).

The rogue idea could be interesting as a vampire's enhanced physical abilities go well with that and since I imagine most of their work is at night the sun isn't much of an issue.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  19:36:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny Thing - when I was posting in this thread yesterday, Rise of the Lycans was on TV - good stuff. Always gets me in the mood for some sexy vamp chicks.

I think in the next installment, Celine should fight Blade. No, I'm not joking; if Freddy can fight Jason, and Aliens can vs Predators, then why not?

And I'm still waiting for Robcop vs Terminator (since Dark Horse comics did all those crossovers FIRST).

quote:

Well, if you care to read my OP, I ask what anyone wants to include in a possible vampire-centric Realms novel, not what one DOESN'T WANT. If you hate Twilight, fine with me. Just spread it elsewhere, because I'm not asking for it here.

Anyway, about those twin vampires...They are Jeremiah and Jonathon, a lesser and greater vampire mentioned in Lords of Darkness, 1E, p. 42.
Fair enough (and thanks for the info - apparently my memory isn't what it used to be, so these kinds of confirmations are very helpful).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jan 2012 00:01:19
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  23:54:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understand. I've heard similar comments from some friends who also follow this series. To me, it appears like the producers are making this installment some sort of a "preparation" for bigger battles to come.

I don't know where you got the "Celine decides to save the vampire race." In the first place, she decides to leave that city where the purge has been carried out regularly, and bring Michael with her. It is only after the lycans try to recapture her, Michael and their daughter that she retaliates. And she doesn't even give a damn if that obscure vampire coven helps her or not.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  23:57:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I think adding in humans as a threat is a pretty interesting idea personally. Sort of like the cattle fighting back, lol.

Indeed. Though the identities of who exactly are behind the purge are no surprise. The eternal battle of the two races is just that, eternal...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:03:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

Thanks. I actually have the said tome. I simply skimmed some parts that are too game-specific, because, as most folks here know, I don't game. Just read the novels, and sometimes the sourcebooks as well.

Anyway, I first thought that the vampire's "daylight ring" would make her bleed with shadows, like the Shadovar princes. But I realized it's probably not a good idea for a character who doesn't want to draw more unwanted attention from a bunch of unwanted people.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:04:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a similar, related note - anyone watching Lost Girl?

It has that same 'mythic creatures hiding amongst us' vibe (along with True Blood, which I enjoy very much).

Wonder if the Harry Potter craze can be partly responsible for this?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:08:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I assume for a plot like that this would be one of those times that the rules are ignored. Similar to how the resurrection spells don't get used very often in the fiction despite all of us (and many of the characters in story) knowing that they exist. Or the ring (or whatever) could have other attributes as well making it unique. There was a very early episode of Angel where he got a ring that made him immune to just about every way to kill a vampire (if I am recalling correctly, it's been a while). Something like that could up the odds. Or, maybe the character is trying to fight their new nature and trying to find some means to get around having to drink blood. To avoid Twilight (or Angel) comparisons the brooding needs to be kept to the bare minimum. Not so much "woe is me, I am an immortal killer who is allergic to the sun now" and more "well, this kind of sucks (no pun intended). I'm not going to let this slow me down so I need to find a way around these limitations" I think a mage of some kind would make the most sense and there is no conflict with their power source (as might be an issue with a cleric or druid).

I totally agree. Also, it would be nice if the vampire anti-hero/ine has a sense of humor to lighten things up at the right moments, as it's expected that this novel would most likely be a tad darker than the usual Realms novels.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:15:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Funny Thing - when I was posting in this thread yesterday, Rise of the Lycans was on TV - good stuff. Always gets me in the mood for some sexy vamp chicks.

Yes. Too bad Celine's not in there. Just a cameo at the end.

quote:

I think in the next installment, Celine should fight Blade. No, I'm not joking; if Freddy can fight Jason, and Aliens can vs Predators, then why not?

I heard a talk of Celine versus Alice. No, not Alice of Wonderland, but of Resident Evil. Might be nice to see. While I also like Alice, I'd still want Celine to win.

quote:

quote:

Fair enough (and thanks for the info - apparently my memory isn't what it used to be, so these kinds of confirmations are very helpful).

You're welcome. I wonder if the Jonathon was a typo for Jonathan. I reread that part of the sourcebook, and it's really an "o."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:21:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a similar, related note - anyone watching Lost Girl?

It has that same 'mythic creatures hiding amongst us' vibe (along with True Blood, which I enjoy very much).

Wonder if the Harry Potter craze can be partly responsible for this?

I've been meaning to watch that series for a very long time now. Sadly, I hardly have the time. I haven't even started watching Justified yet, which I promised myself (and a close friend of mine) to watch last...year.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:10:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got into Supernatural for a few episodes, after seeing one with all the 'old gods' (that appealed to my sense of a 'unified cosmology', which appears to be the case in that series) from multiple mythologies. I happened upon that one by accident, so I figured the whole series would be cool, but after a few more I realize now that that was the highpoint. Out of the four I have seen, two were about 'killer cars'; Christine strikes again.... ugh.

Its like X-Files without all the aliens (or interesting plots). I don't recommend it.

Lost Girl has potential though, as long as it doesn't get Buffy silly (or Charmed). I would recommend it. Then again, it could just be because D&D has left me starved for fey lore.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Feb 2012 02:11:58
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:21:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, I loved Charmed.

I haven't watched Supernatural. I'm not fond of angels, either. So I don't think I'd ever watch Angel and Fallen. Even though fantasy is my first love genre, I hardly watch fantasy TV series. I haven't even watched the talk-of-the-"world" Games of Thrones.

Edited by - Dennis on 01 Feb 2012 02:25:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:23:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I could never really get into it. It might have been Sharon Doherty - I loathe her.

I actually started watching Buffy toward the end, because I thought the Spike character was cool.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Feb 2012 02:24:54
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:36:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Easily solved---she was replaced by Holly Marie Combs due to some alleged attitude problems. She didn't even finish the first season, if memory serves. And I think Holly's better at acting the eldest sister.

Which episode did you last watch? It actually got better every season. I loved the storyline on the Triad, the Cleaners, and the one where Piper (Holly) acted as an angry storm goddess (literally). And oh, they also incorporated eastern mythologies, which I really liked.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  03:17:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tried watching it 1st season, and couldn't get past S.D.

Tried it a few years later, and was completely lost (some crap about angels)... if you miss too much, you can't really just watch random episodes (a lot of shows are like that these days).

It could be worse... we could still be getting our 'fantasy' from Bewitched and I Dream of Genie.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  05:17:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't even watched the talk-of-the-"world" Games of Thrones.

I've only seen a couple of episodes of the first season, at my father-in-law's house. And that was in part because I'm reading the books (I happened to be working on the end of the first book, when we were up there). We didn't see much of the series, though, because of a combination of my wife (who seriously dislikes TV/movie violence), her grandmother (who wasn't interested and didn't know what was going on), and my son (because everyone was paying attention to him!).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  06:51:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not to worry, Dennis. The complete First Season of Game of Thrones releases in March/April [depending on where you purchase it]. You can catch up just before the Second Season starts.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  10:57:31  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I understand. I've heard similar comments from some friends who also follow this series. To me, it appears like the producers are making this installment some sort of a "preparation" for bigger battles to come.

I don't know where you got the "Celine decides to save the vampire race." In the first place, she decides to leave that city where the purge has been carried out regularly, and bring Michael with her. It is only after the lycans try to recapture her, Michael and their daughter that she retaliates. And she doesn't even give a damn if that obscure vampire coven helps her or not.

Didnt you hear her narrate in the end"our vampire coven shall rule the world once again"or something to that effect...
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  10:59:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What does Celine saving vampires from bad humans and lycans have to do with Twilight? . Also, when one goes into see a 4th installment of Underworld, there has to be a caveat of knowing that it's probably NOT going to be as good as the first but hope that the storyline is done well (which I think it is, based off of reviews). Lots of action is a GOOD thing in these sorts of movies. Also, what's really left for them to battle? They can't go up against a "Dracula" style vampire because it's been played to death. I think adding in humans as a threat is a pretty interesting idea personally. Sort of like the cattle fighting back, lol.

I'm interested in seeing the movie as is my wife. But she didn't really care for Rise of the Lycans because I don't think she likes prequels nor the continunity problem of Sonja's hair being blonde in the 1st movie (in that quick flash back) to her raven black hair in the 3rd movie. It's a minor quibble for me, but for some reason it made her mad, lol.

I think they turned the series pro vampire in order to appeal to the screaming teenage girl crowd that loves Edward Cullen and likes to have their blood sucked or whatever...
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  11:00:21  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think they turned the series pro vampire in order to appeal to the screaming teenage girl crowd that loves Edward Cullen and likes to have their blood sucked or whatever...
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  21:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it could be argued that the series has been relatively pro vampire from the start. The main character is a vampire. The bulk of the characters with any screen time are vampires. The vampires don't become monsterous just before they feed as they do in other series, while the lycans become completely inhuman. Celine hasn't shown the slightest bit of remorse in taking out lycans for a few centuries despite revelations from the movies. The vampires are shown as aristocratic types drinking cloned (or was it farmed, I can't recall) blood instead of killing live humans while it is stated that the only reason for the lycans to hunt a person would be to eat them (implying it is something they still like to do). This latest installment was somewhat pro lycan showing (again) that they have the ability to plot and scheme, in this case without Lucian, while the vampires are seemingly stuck in the past and have no desire to "enhance" themselves. The lesson I took from these movies was that both sides would've been a lot better off trying to work together as true partners (and kill Victor so it could happen).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:13:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Not to worry, Dennis. The complete First Season of Game of Thrones releases in March/April [depending on where you purchase it]. You can catch up just before the Second Season starts.

My pile of to To-Watch series is as gigantic as my To-Read books. My current "job" eats too much of my time.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:17:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... vampires....

Anyone have any weird ideas about them? When I ran Greyhawk, I had a caveman vampire - it was pretty funny.

A vampiric angel would be kinda cool (and I'm sure its not allowed in RAW... but who cares?)

I guess a vampiric goat would just be a chupacabra.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  01:23:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Didnt you hear her narrate in the end"our vampire coven shall rule the world once again"or something to that effect...

I can't recall the exact narration.

Anyway, even if she really said that, it would appear understandable. The humans and lycans had already conspired to exterminate her kind. The "fighter" in her would always surface. She even told that coven leader (forgot the name) that hiding was never the solution, that the lycans finding them sooner or later was bound to happen. As Joker repeatedly told Batman, "You can run but you can never hide." For Celine and all the vampires who believe in her, what's the point of hiding if in time they can be found?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000