Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Continuing the Blue Fire timeline.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  18:34:29  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It has long nagged at me, even before the announcement of '5th Edition', that the events of the Sellplague and the 100-year time jump would be the 'canon' timeline from this point forward. No other RSE or history update has caused such an upheaval (for better or worse) among the ranks of Those Who Love The Realms...as if I have to repeat that to anyone here in Candlekeep.

BUT...with this in mind, I would like to proceed along a path I have not yet seen explored: That being the certainty that we will not, in fact, have any sort of reboot, but will continue along in what Jakk terms 'Realms-404', and what I refer to as the Blue Fire Timeline.

That is what I wish to discuss. Not a reboot - while I agree that would be the best option, there are many threads discussing that topic, so that issue would only be redundant here. And not that you hate 4th Edition - heck, I don't much care for it, but that, in context of this scroll, is irrelevant. So the question thus posed is:

What developments need to happen in the current timeline, using only now-printed material such as the FRCS and the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, to make the Shattered Realms into something you would be willing to accept as 'canon Realms'?

For me, it is (what I view as) simple things.

*Maps!: And not the garbage that 4th Edition included in the FRCG, but good maps. Of Toril in its entirety, all of it - to me, this is simply a must-have. A complete Blue Fire Atlas of the Forgotten Realms or the like. This may not be so simple, but it is an absolute necessity. Period.

What's needed: Write the bloody book, Wizbro.

*Halruaa: Seriously...something needs to be done about this. Vaporizing Unther and most of Mulhorand to shoehorn the dragonborn in (even though Returned Abeir could have admirably performed that function all by itself)...well, I can sort of see it. Not thrilled about it, but I can see it. But lay completely to waste one of the most interesting nations Toril has ever produced, with no apparent cause other than to just nuke it for crits and giggles? Ugh. Unneeded, unjustifiable, and unwanted.

What's needed: Since Halruaa remains largely unknown to pretty much everyone, have a large township/small city of Halruaans survive somewhere along the coast, with magic used to camouflage its non-ruined state and defend it from the hordes of nasties. From here, what's left of the Halruaans work to gradually reclaim their nation. It may take generations, but it will work.

*Maztica/Returned Abeir: Working from an assumption that Returned Abeir is going to stay right where it was put, the need for good maps becomes critical at this point. How much of Anchorome and the southern continent were affected? Is there any Maztican civilization left on the southern fringe of Anchorome, or are they all gone?

What's needed: Give us our bloody maps, Wizbro. As it stands, things exist in a rather annoying vacuum as to where Returned Abeir actually sits on the world map. Expostulate on what the region is like now, and detail the pre-existing continents, if only sketchily. Oh, and maps. And while we're at it, maps. Did I mention maps, Wizbro? We really need some maps. And some maps would be nice, too.

I have more, oh, so much more, but I'll stop for now.

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  18:48:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I present my posts in the One Canon, One Story, One Realms thread. Specifically, the Spellplague, Halruaa, the Chosen need to be addressed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  19:19:51  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I present my posts in the One Canon, One Story, One Realms thread. Specifically, the Spellplague, Halruaa, the Chosen need to be addressed.

Cheers

Ahhh, so you did. I was unsure if what I stated as the focus of this thread was precisely what you were attempting to accomplish, thus I have not yet commented in it.

If a mod deems this scroll redundant, I will not object to it being locked.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000