Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Soundtrack for the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  18:14:42  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone like to leave music on during sessions? The soundtracks to the computer games Morrowind and Oblivion are pretty neat.

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  18:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I have the time and patience I select from various soundtracks to support specific scenes.

When running a Ravenloft one-shot for my players to introduce a new character I heavily used the 13 Ghosts and Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack. For regular gaming I mostly use the LotR soundtrack altho I will utilize other things in the future: Conan the Barbarian sountrack, Midnight Syndicate stuff, and I will have to look for medieval music as a backdrop as well.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  19:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Occasionally after our lunch break Andrew W.K. gets put on, just to get everyone in a fun mood
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  20:01:10  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually use Chopin, Brahms or other 19th century classical music or something more in the Singer/songwriter alley. I remember when we were teenagers and were able to play, quite undisturbed, with Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Queen on the stereo.

I like having sound when I game, but I have not seen the music as a help in creating an atmosphere.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  20:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sabbath for gaming...oooh that gives me an idea... I think I have to get the CD of this band: http://www.sabbatum.com/

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  21:34:57  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even put three cds together (so far) from various diffent soundtracks especially for roleplaying sessions.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  21:51:55  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please share, I'm really intersted, Ergdusch.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I hate to say it but Enya has some good stuff too. She has this one dark song that is awesome for exploring a dark dungeon when a really nasty encounter is about to start. My wife actually did me a favor and searched for good DnD session music and she found some harp music, LotR music (of course), Enya, tavern music and sounds, and various other helpful things. Hope this helps.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, one last thing. I heard the Nick Lachey song the other day about him sing about what is left of him or something and I immediately thought of Eric Scott de Bie's short story in the Realms of Elves with Yldar standing there after being left by Twilight. Hahahaha, sadly I had a hard time sharing a laugh with any one over that. The imagination is a funny and wonderful thing!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:40:21  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We prefer soundtracks from movies and computer games in my gaming group: Icewind Dale II, Planescape: Torment, LoTR (all movies), 13th Warrior, etcetera. In addition to this, various Vangelis albums have worked really well, too (El Greco is great for dungeon crawling or dark/moody adventures ;)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Oh, one last thing. I heard the Nick Lachey song the other day about him sing about what is left of him or something...

I know what you're talking about.

As long as I'm listening to disco, I think happy thoughts--even about fun times in the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Jul 2006 00:43:52
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  01:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the shared laugh.

I'll have to check out El Greco too.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  19:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Thanks for the shared laugh.

I'll have to check out El Greco too.

Try it... I hope you will love it. You'd be hard-pressed to find more suitable music for gloomy dungeon crawling

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  19:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enya is good ... and so is the more 'quiet' ballad-like parts of music based on Symfonic Epic metal (Rhapsody springs to mind)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  01:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, The Legend of Zelda has some really good tunes, specifically the re-arranged albums with Ocarina of Time and Windwaker works.

Though, they're rather hard to come by. Still, I just thought I'd put that out there.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:47:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you've got a Zhentarim-heavy campaign coming up... nothing beats Mahler's later symphonies as appropriate background music for campaigns.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  11:04:44  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I have purchased several Soundtracks/Scores from different movies to use during D&D. Amongst them are: Troy, Gladiator (perhaps the best score ever), Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions (they're really up-tempo and can be quite usefull during battles), The Rock, Conan the Barbarian, The Last Samurai, Jean d'Arc (I shouldn't have bought that one), King Arthur and Face/Off. Basically I use music from movies only.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  20:00:44  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I "created" a soundtrack for a chapter of my campaign that had a short dungeon crawl and then woods travel ending with the players at the foot of the MoonBridge into Silverymoon. I used tracks from Vangelis (Mythodea?, I think...) (No, it was Celtic Dawn!) Last of the Mohicans (great for dumgeon crawls)some Enya, Midnight Syndicate (Heroes Valor, or something like that, which is a great piece)and a few very medieval sounding tracks from David Arkhenstone. (Great stuff. The only problem was remembering to start the tracks at the appropriate times, when the action was going on...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  05:38:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found this Midnight Syndicate; Dungeons and Dragons; Official Roleplaying Soundtrack and it is frikkin' great!!! I still wish I could find that old TSR CD though.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  23:36:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, gaming music! Something I do frequently, as it happens. I've used namy of the ones others have mentioned- Midnight Syndicate, some Enya, and Beastmaster and Red Sonya soundtracks, and even some FF VII and VIII. I tend to go with older 80's fantasy tracks, as they are usually very epic. Nox Arcana and some traditional Celtic and Lord of the Dance/Riverdance stuff has seen play, as has Mike Oldfield's The Voyager album. (Great tunage in its own right, BTW...) Also Alestorm, Dragonforce, and a few anime tracks as well. (Lodoss Wars opening theme is another fave!) Basically, I believe in finding music to fit the mood or the scenario, so if a Gundam Wing theme works for a battle, darn skippy I'll use it! Same goes for scores for everything from 300 to Boondock Saints. (has some lovely Irish traditional tunes in the soundtrack!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  06:08:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For us, it's LotR, 300, Conan (the 2 Arnold movie soundtracks), and Apocalyptica; occasionally the DM finds a use for Black Sabbath or a Metallica instrumental.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  06:11:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Sabbath for gaming...oooh that gives me an idea... I think I have to get the CD of this band: http://www.sabbatum.com/

Mace, I think I have to get this CD too... how am I supposed to get my Visa completely paid off when things like this keep popping up?

Edit: Erm... on second thought, I'll wait and hope it comes down in price a bit... I just checked it out on amazon.ca, and it's apparently a collector's album now.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Jan 2012 06:16:31
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  14:08:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

For us, it's LotR, 300, Conan (the 2 Arnold movie soundtracks), and Apocalyptica; occasionally the DM finds a use for Black Sabbath or a Metallica instrumental.

Love the original Conan the Barbarian sountrack. Gladiator and Braveheart are other great ones.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  14:11:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The soundtracks for any of the Elder Scrolls games would be great too. Not sure if they are for sale by themselves though.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  15:17:17  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jumping completely out onto the other edge of the blade, Apocalyptica's rendition of In the Hall of the Mountain King provides an interesting counterpoint to more classic symphony orchestra pieces.

One of the funniest coincidences we've had in the past was Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries coming up in queue during a portion where the entire party was flying on griffon back in an effort to extract a contact/NPC comrade from the clutches of the enemy before they could fully close the trap. Being that our group was 80% prior military, everyone had a good laugh at the irony of a D&D version of the scene from Apocalypse Now.

Going away from classical compositions, groups like Mannheim Steamroller have also been favored in the past. We also have a heavy mix of traditional Celtic/Irish and even African Tribal pieces included in our usual playlist. Someone even mixed in some Blue Man Group stuff at one point.

We don't always play music but when we do, we try to stay away from lyrics or at least tend to favor pieces that are mostly instrumental.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  22:50:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Wolfhound75: That goes for me, too. I tend to use mostly instrumentals, or those with certain themes or lyrics that fit the mood and/or situation. Savatage's version (along with several of their other songs, notably In the Wake of the Magellan) works great! And listening to some ofthose tunes on your link, Mace, I'm liking it!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  23:27:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Just discovered this and it is bizarre but it rocks (yeah, War Pigs!!!)

Hora nigra Dei advenit.
Supplicantes verres repunt,
peccatores precantur.
Satan ridet, taetatur.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 19 Jan 2012 23:37:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000