Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 So, my PCs just resurrected Myrkul *HELP*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  04:36:45  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I confess, they do love taking refuge in audacity don't they?

The premise of my game is that I've been treating the Post-Spellplague Era as the worst time in Faerun history. Everything is falling apart and the gods of good are mostly dead, resulting in the Balance (which I rarely mention) being totally destroyed.

Well the PCs are currently on a "Hordes of the Underdark" esque mission to stop Asmodeus and rescue Tyr from his imprisonment there. The Maguffin for defeating the Lord of the Nine is his true name, which can be used to sever him from his divinity or force him to release Tyr or whatever (I'm going to give the PCs three requests).

Well, I said that half of Asmodeus' true name was known by Myrkul and the other half by Halastar Blackcloak. I expected the PCs to visit Myrkul's corpse and do a bit of bandying like "Mask of the Betrayer." Well, the PCs being PCs, decide they need something to bribe Myrkul with and decide "Hey, let's offer to get him back as a god."

To cut a long story short, a visit to their patron deity later and possessing an artifact, they resurrected Myrkul with the oath of serving Mystra in the same capacity Velsharoon did (only with a slightly expanded portfolio).

Mystra is still around in my games, albeit weakened. I'm totally unclear how to proceed from here, though I admire the Pc's craziness.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  16:19:04  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I confess, they do love taking refuge in audacity don't they?

The premise of my game is that I've been treating the Post-Spellplague Era as the worst time in Faerun history. Everything is falling apart and the gods of good are mostly dead, resulting in the Balance (which I rarely mention) being totally destroyed.

Well the PCs are currently on a "Hordes of the Underdark" esque mission to stop Asmodeus and rescue Tyr from his imprisonment there. The Maguffin for defeating the Lord of the Nine is his true name, which can be used to sever him from his divinity or force him to release Tyr or whatever (I'm going to give the PCs three requests).

Well, I said that half of Asmodeus' true name was known by Myrkul and the other half by Halastar Blackcloak. I expected the PCs to visit Myrkul's corpse and do a bit of bandying like "Mask of the Betrayer." Well, the PCs being PCs, decide they need something to bribe Myrkul with and decide "Hey, let's offer to get him back as a god."

To cut a long story short, a visit to their patron deity later and possessing an artifact, they resurrected Myrkul with the oath of serving Mystra in the same capacity Velsharoon did (only with a slightly expanded portfolio).

Mystra is still around in my games, albeit weakened. I'm totally unclear how to proceed from here, though I admire the Pc's craziness.

Okay, I'm not sure if there is a problem. Myrkul gives them part of the name and the quest continues. Worry about the ramifications later only if the PC's succeed in their main goal.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 20 Dec 2011 16:22:40
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  16:24:46  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Charles, that sounds pretty epic. I don't think you need to feel too overwhelmed. I recommend that you continue on with your campaign arc much as planned. Myrkul will definitely have some plans to gain power and escape Mystra's influence, but that needn't be something which immediately needs to be put in action. Most gods are patient, and I'm sure a recently deceased god of death knows more about patience than most.

Let your PCs defeat Asmodeus. Dealing with Myrkul and the consequences of their actions could be the focus of an even more epic campaign much further down the line. You could even have Myrkul act as something of an ally at this point - perhaps gifting them with some powerful magic items and powers. Of course, these gifts are ultimately corrupting ... perhaps any PCs slain in the campaign come back as undead wholly within Myrkul's control!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  18:15:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use the second part - Halaster - to 'fix' the first part.

I'm not sure what you deem is in need of fixing, but thats the route I'd go.

For instance, they would need to glue Halaster back together, which might take even more infernal fenageling. Whatever, wherever his bits of soul are, make sure that any deals they strike fixes other things you want to happen (and folks, its not 'railroading'... its called 'creative DMing').

BTW, just how is tyranny supposed to serve a goddess who main goal is to have 'freedom of magic'?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Dec 2011 18:15:53
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  18:50:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was probably a very good reason for the God of the Dead being dead. Not sure how you'd resurrect that particular god, but that's not relevant here.

I'd suggest that Myrkul the Living God of the Dead is uncooperative. Maybe he has special plans for Halaster (who has avoided death for far too long), maybe he's made a deal with Asmodeus and will give him Halaster's soul in exchange for more power, for more death and dying and dead things. I'd suspect that he kinda likes the idea of Asmodeus being in charge, especially since it might only be a matter of time before he learns the other half of Asmodeus's truename ... of course, there is the little problem of those pesky PCs, and (once he properly reasserts his mantle of deity) Myrkul might work to frustrate the PCs or secure the knowledge from Halaster himself; all he has to do is ensure that Halaster dies to gain exclusive access to his soul (and his knowledge).

Don't forget that Asmodeus may not be passive. He could be well aware that his truename exists on the Realms, he might even know exactly where it is and who has it, or his information might be inaccurate and lead him to monitor the PCs. The truename known to Myrkul, Halaster, and the PCs might be wrong, a carefully planted lie, or it could be incomplete and require a third part to be useful.

Planescape lore discussed the tricky relationship between fiends their truenames. They must allow knowledge of their truenames to exist in a given world in the hopes of gaining some access to it; if they are entirely unknown to a world then they cannot manifest there. Yet, of course, they are also magically compelled to respond to their truename and so would prefer that it is known only to weak-minded arrogant fools who can be easily manipulated or destroyed.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Dec 2011 19:41:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  19:22:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

BTW, just how is tyranny supposed to serve a goddess who main goal is to have 'freedom of magic'?

Where does tyranny enter into the equation? Myrkul was the god of death...

I'm also curious about Myrkul's motivation, given that it was previously established that he was happier not being a god (I love him in that capacity; there's just so much potential for fun there!).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  19:29:53  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm also curious about Myrkul's motivation, given that it was previously established that he was happier not being a god (I love him in that capacity; there's just so much potential for fun there!).

Not many people would know that (hell I forgot about it) or maybe Charles chose to ignore it.

But his game does sound like fun!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  19:44:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Tyranny was mentioned because of Asmodeus, not Myrkul.

The question of how it relates to Mystra might be answered by the source of Asmodeus's divinity in the Realms; Mystra's former servant, Azuth.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  21:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There was probably a very good reason for the God of the Dead being dead. Not sure how you'd resurrect that particular god, but that's not relevant here.

Yeah, it was a fun conversation which was repeated in various points across the game.
* The almost Meta-conversation between the PCs where they point out Mystra is always getting shot in the foot being a NG god over a Neutral domain.
* Their conclusion, which is kind of sketchy, that Myrkul is better than Shar and Velsharoon because he's not an omnicidal maniac.
* Having a conversation with a manifestation of Mystra (being epic level, I allowed the PC Cleric to "Dial" her). It was sort of hilarious since the players had played the Time of Troubles game and the current PCs were descendants of their PCs then.

I got to use a very well established personality fo Midnight. "You have no idea what I went through to get Myrkul dead the first time."

In the end, I ruled Mystra was willing to provide the Divine Spark and so was Kelemvor plus a number of artifacts the PCs already knew the general location of.

quote:

I confess, I could have had Myrkul refuse but I really felt the PCs deserved to let such a crazy plan succeed. I roleplayed Myrkul as not exactly enthusiastic about the PCs plan to begin with - "So, I go from being Emperor of the Souls of the Dead to Mystra's lackey? Pass."

In the end, I let them suceed because they appealed to not only Myrkul's vanity but nastiness - the PCs pointing out that Bane returned and didn't do a damn thing on his behalf. Plus, the fact he crawled his way up to being God of the Dead before.

In the end, I ruled Myrkul swore allegiance to Mystra for an age and they got Asmodeus' half of the True Name.

I'm interested in how this will affect my Realms though - also what sort of affect this will have on the PCs relationships (not to mention what Myrkul will have planned for the PCs).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  00:27:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Not many people would know that (hell I forgot about it) or maybe Charles chose to ignore it.
That's a possibility.

Though, it wasn't such an obscure piece of lore. And a great many of the references to Myrkul in the post-Time of Troubles lore, seemed to reinforce the fact that Myrkul "enjoys" his current state. Being somewhat removed from under Ao's divine thumb would certainly have its advantages... especially for a former deity who still likes to meddle in mortal affairs -- fear and terror can still be powerful "weapons of influence" in his arsenal, just as his unpredictability still would be.

I do like the idea of Myrkul in this state. If I had followed the path of the ToT in my campaign, 'tis likely this version of Myrkul would indeed be a part of my FR.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  00:48:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, is Myrkul a dead god or not? An undead god?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  01:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do like the idea of Myrkul in this state. If I had followed the path of the ToT in my campaign, 'tis likely this version of Myrkul would indeed be a part of my FR.

Eh, I basically felt that Myrkul was always a bit more dignified than a lot of the gods that followed him. I used Velsharoon in my games as basically a scheming backstabbing wannabe Overgod that the PCs REALLY came to dislike. Likewise, I had them deal with other psychos - so having them long for a god with some staying power works for me.

I do tend to think that the games minimized the "punishment" nature of being dead. Dead gods in my games are DEAD - pretty much existing in a dreaming state that is half-alive/half-memory and it's not much fun.

Though I liked what they did in "Mask of the Betrayer" which was Myrkul was hanging on due to the Spirit Eater and the Crown of Horns.

quote:

I was thinking "New Myrkul" would be god of Evil Spellcasters, Decay, Forbidden Knowledge, Necromancy, and Undeath. He'd be a Lawful Evil Deity who was allied with Mystra, Kelemvor, and Oghma (possibly Bane as well - though that wouldn't conceivably fit his new allegiances) with his enemies being Lathander, Finder, and Torm. People would more or less pray to Kelemvor when they wanted to either find out unpleasant things or to stave off horrible things.

Later, I think he'd become the god of Secrets and Shar would become his enemy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  01:09:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

You mean in terms of what's left of Myrkul existing in the Crown of Horns [as per official lore], or as part of Charles' working here?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  01:40:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My bad - I just realized my error.

Its not like his name was in the thread topic or anything... (u-DOH!)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  02:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking "New Myrkul" would be god of Evil Spellcasters, Decay, Forbidden Knowledge, Necromancy, and Undeath. He'd be a Lawful Evil Deity who was allied with Mystra, Kelemvor, and Oghma (possibly Bane as well - though that wouldn't conceivably fit his new allegiances) with his enemies being Lathander, Finder, and Torm. People would more or less pray to Kelemvor when they wanted to either find out unpleasant things or to stave off horrible things.

Later, I think he'd become the god of Secrets and Shar would become his enemy.

Undeath and Kelemvor are like oil and water as far as I remember. If Myrkul is going that route, I don't think he'll find an ally there. Jergal, however, remains a bit of a mysterious character and he might undermine his "master" Kelemvor and aid the god who he once bequeathed his power to so long ago.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  02:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the thing I was going for was treating Myrkul as a "punch clock villain" essentially handling the unpleasant aspects of Kelemvor and Mystra's portfolios. You're right that doesn't really make too much sense, however. I guess I was inspired by Tempus' relationship to Garagos.

I suppose New Myrkul would be enemies with Kelemvor, Finder, Lathander, and Shar while being friends with Oghma, Bane, and VERY reluctantly Mystra.

(He'd probably be on cordial terms with Azuth if he ever came back).

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 21 Dec 2011 02:37:46
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  02:58:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, that depends on how you interpret canon. In my Realms, Azuth never "left".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  03:41:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So no one asked the really important question...

What IS Asmodeus' real name?

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Dec 2011 03:42:05
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  03:48:57  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's quite simple oh enlightened Markustay!

Asmodeus' real name is completely evil and sinister!

Suedom'sa!

Clearly, we all need to read the scroll about things being more evil when said backwards!

Either that, or I heard a rumor it was "Chief Runamok of the Slappaorc Tribe"

You be the judge.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  03:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, poor Azuth is being used as a battery for Asmodeus' divinity. Ditto Tyr. Divinity is yummy to Devils!

Let's hope the PCs remember a request not to seek revenge, or it's going to get ugly for them. Unlike Hordes of the Underdark, however, I'm going to avoid the PCs having the option to make Asmodeus their housekeeper.

:)

As for Asmodeus' true name, I'm going to represent it as this.

"__________________"

Halastar's sanity sure as hell wasn't helped by knowing it and the True Name keeper is not going to have the best time of it until he lets it loose.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 21 Dec 2011 04:04:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  04:42:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ethel.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  04:44:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the thing I was going for was treating Myrkul as a "punch clock villain" essentially handling the unpleasant aspects of Kelemvor and Mystra's portfolios. You're right that doesn't really make too much sense, however. I guess I was inspired by Tempus' relationship to Garagos.

I suppose New Myrkul would be enemies with Kelemvor, Finder, Lathander, and Shar while being friends with Oghma, Bane, and VERY reluctantly Mystra.

(He'd probably be on cordial terms with Azuth if he ever came back).

While I do prefer the not-a-deity-and-loving-it version of Myrkul that is canon, I can't find fault with your idea. It's not the route I'd go, but I don't find it objectionable.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  04:46:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph

One must wonder why Asmodeus had to go that route in the first place. I find it strange that such a powerful being needed Azuth at all.

But thats fodder for another thread. Always a pleasure to read your threads, Charles.

EDIT: Have you considered that maybe the Myrkul they brought back isn't the real Myrkul (who preferred to be trapped in the crown)? It could be something along the lines of Bane/Xvim. Entirely up to you, of course, but it could be an 'out' (and a nasty surprise for your PCs later on). It could have just been a 'wayward' Avatar that broke-away from its master (prolonged detachment will eventually lead to autonomy). And for some reason, that scenario is ringing a bell.

Now I am picturing a confrontation between 'classic' Myrkul, and Myrkul 2.0

quote:

quote:

Ethel.
And here I thought it was Rumpelstiltskin

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Dec 2011 04:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  05:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertWhile I do prefer the not-a-deity-and-loving-it version of Myrkul that is canon, I can't find fault with your idea. It's not the route I'd go, but I don't find it objectionable.

I'd have been fine with this version if not for the fact that he's sponsoring priests. When I read that, I just rolled my eyes and like, "Then he's a deity living in the Crown of Horns! Really, people!"

It was a nice change from the usual, "Oh, I want to be back and kill everyone!" though.

quote:
originally posted by Markustay One must wonder why Asmodeus had to go that route in the first place. I find it strange that such a powerful being needed Azuth at all.

My interpretation of the whole "Are Archdevils as powerful as the gods?" thing is to go with the Second Edition "They're equivalent to Lesser Gods in their Realms" one. Asmodeus saw the chance to seize Azuth's power and from there used the Old Mage's knowledge and the chaos in the planes to do some Vecna-style reshaping of the universe.

I also treat Asmodeus as selflessly devoted to evil and misery as Torm is to good. So, really, it was just taking advantage of an excellent opportunity to **** up the universe.

I do, definitely, however put Archdemons and Solars beneath gods. As much as I love the various attempts to make Asmodeus the biggest bad that ever existed - I tend to put the Demons and Devils as as a definite level below the divine. Asmodeus ascending to be as strong as Shar and Lathander is BAD news for the Multiverse.

quote:
EDIT: Have you considered that maybe the Myrkul they brought back isn't the real Myrkul (who preferred to be trapped in the crown)? It could be something along the lines of Bane/Xvim. Entirely up to you, of course, but it could be an 'out' (and a nasty surprise for your PCs later on). It could have just been a 'wayward' Avatar that broke-away from its master (prolonged detachment will eventually lead to autonomy). And for some reason, that scenario is ringing a bell.

Now I am picturing a confrontation between 'classic' Myrkul, and Myrkul 2.0

Interesting idea and one to definitely consider. A part of me is actually considering that Myrkul allowing himself to be resurrected as a deity is actually him just settling some unfinished business - possibly that he's genuinely annoyed at how much magic and the Realm of the Dead has been totally screwed up in his absence.

Of course, I go with the idea not EVERYONE is into godhood. Larloch, for example, is utterly uninterested in being a divinity in my games even though he could have ascended millennium ago.

Edit:

Though the PCs will never know it, the Bane in my games is actually Xvim having absorbed so much of Bane's essence he THINKS he's Bane. Not sure if that's really a difference, though.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 21 Dec 2011 05:17:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  05:35:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall Myrkul sponsoring priests, once he was a fallen power...

My idea for Xvim/Bane is that Bane 2.0 isn't Bane at all -- it's Xvim posing as Daddy to get his cred.

Another idea for this topic, though... Perhaps the resurrection of Myrkul is someone else's plot. Perhaps another deity wants to use Myrkul in some capacity, and needs him to be a deity to do it. The Asmodeus stuff is irrelevant to this other deity's plans...

In fact, the idea of giving Myrkul back his power and divinity might just be so someone else can take it.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  05:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Prestige Class for the Crown of Horns is what I was referring to.

quote:
My idea for Xvim/Bane is that Bane 2.0 isn't Bane at all -- it's Xvim posing as Daddy to get his cred.

The early Realms books were kind of funny, really. Poor Xvim first has to sponsor a bunch of Banite priests then he has to institute a bunch of purges. THEN he has to use the Bane Fog because, apparently, people STILL worship Bane more than him.

So that entirely works for me.

quote:
Another idea for this topic, though... Perhaps the resurrection of Myrkul is someone else's plot. Perhaps another deity wants to use Myrkul in some capacity, and needs him to be a deity to do it. The Asmodeus stuff is irrelevant to this other deity's plans...

In fact, the idea of giving Myrkul back his power and divinity might just be so someone else can take it.

Eh, that doesn't work for me simply because it was the PCs who came up with it. I am interested in what will be the aftermath of whatever they do to Asmodeus, though.

If they manage to destroy him or de-deify him, that will really open up a lot of portfolios.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  07:02:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did they find out about Myrkul knowing Asmodeus' True name?

If Asmodeus wants Myrkul's old power (after all, how different is 'god of death' to 'god of hell'?), then it may have been Asmodeus that planted the seed that lead them down this path. What if Asmodeus wants to be the Realms 'god of the dead'? Maybe this is a play he always wanted to do, but was afraid of Mystra (for whatever reason).

And if Asmodeus gets what he wants, he may just grant their wish anyway. He's not such a bad guy, just misunderstood.

And in the end, he will still get them... he always does....

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  07:14:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe Cyric's looking to cash in on the old portfolios of Myrkul that he once held.

Still, I'd expect Myrkul would wise up eventually. I'm sure he'd remember a few "tricks of the trade" in terms of how deities operate. He could probably use that knowledge to his advantage. Especially when he starts perceiving "the plan" behind the return of his divine might.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  07:15:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Prestige Class for the Crown of Horns is what I was referring to.
You could even tweak the "Servant of the Fallen" feat from Lost Empires of Faerűn for a similarly-desired effect.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  08:10:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
How did they find out about Myrkul knowing Asmodeus' True name?
That's an excellent question. The PCs learned that he said she said somebody knows something about somebody else ... what is their source? Why didn't (or doesn't) this source use the knowledge, or give/trade/sell it to anyone else? How do the PCs know that chasing after Myrkul and Halaster doesn't play into somebody else's schemes? What if this information is simply wrong?

I would suggest that the truename of Asmodeus is (also?/instead?) known by Azuth, it would explain a few things.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  08:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks,

There's a fun story about the True Name bit that highlights the humor of my party. Basically, where they learn Myrkul and Halastar got the information just required a Plot Device. Soooo, I had the PCs chasing the "Codex of Mystra" for the first part of the campaign, basically an artifact supposedly containing all of Mystra's holy teachings - uncorrupted by the past century of chaos (desperately needed after the Spellplague).

Well, in the Codex, there was a message directly written to the PCs before the Spellplague by Mystra. The message listed all the various things the PCs would need to save the world (including weapons located in the House of the Triad, where the last Bhaalspawn were, and - of course, Asmodeus' true name's locations).

To justify why Mystra needed the PCs, I ruled the nature of the information was so dangerous that Mystra obliterated her own memory of the location of Asmodeus' true name along with a spell that would keep her from ever knowing the location - apparently trusting only the PCs to be able to go after it. Presumably, she also magicked up some protection for them as well in advance of the Spellplague when the book was written.

It became like the anime Slayers when the PCs talked to Mystra about raising Myrkul and their justification.

Priest of Mystra PC: We need you to do it so we can get the portion of Asmodeus' true name Myrkul knows.

Mystra: Strange, you said something but I didn't hear it.

Priest of Mystra PC: I SAID...

Wizard PC: Please, tell me you're not speaking louder.

Priest of Mystra PC: Oh right, she did the obliteration thingy. Nevermind.

Doubly funny they're doing this in-character and they're 22nd level.

Edit:

I'm a big fan of Azuth by the way and I hope the PCs are able to use Asmodeus' true name to free him. I actually ruled that Asmodeus, magnificent schemer that he is, is only having as much success as he is in the past 100 years because he not only possesses Azuth's divinity but he also possesses Azuth's knowledge.

I just treat Azuth as THAT great a repository of mystical knowledge which Asmodeus has been exploiting.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 21 Dec 2011 09:26:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000