Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What drove the Netherese to create flying cities?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  18:47:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Was it just for the simple fact that they wanted to stand literally above all the other civilizations? Perhaps to slake their wanderlust, if they had one? Or did they think it the most convenient and fastest way of expanding their empire?

Every beginning has an end.

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  18:52:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the original was problely done to expand the art.
the others came along for the sake of their own egos.

thus the flying enclaves were nothing more than a status symbol.

pride and nothing else

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  18:59:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When Ioulaum invented the mythallar, wasn't his drive only to test the limit [or lack thereof] of his magical knowledge, as most inventors are wont to do? Status, empire's expansion, and widespread practice of the Art only came later?

Edited by - Dennis on 06 Nov 2011 19:01:09
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  19:13:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Was it just for the simple fact that they wanted to stand literally above all the other civilizations? Perhaps to slake their wanderlust, if they had one? Or did they think it the most convenient and fastest way of expanding their empire?

The whys and wherefores are in the minds of the people who did it.

It could have been as simple as I can do it. It could be more complicated as to instilling fear in neighbors or as you offer just to have more land for population (avoiding land war to take lands from other people). There are many possible answers as to why, Ed might be able to answer the most important reason. I can think of many more. Mage doing better then the first mage and so on just to display skill.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  19:45:05  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beyond their massive egos, there is also the practical reasons. In its history, Faerun has had quite a few hordes of this or that wipe out cities and nations. A flying city would pretty much take that worry off the table.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  19:56:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good point, Seethyr. Most likely Ioulaum had that in mind when he raised the first flying enclave.

Edited by - Dennis on 06 Nov 2011 19:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  20:14:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flying cities are cooler than non-flying cities

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  20:59:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Flying cities are cooler than non-flying cities

and this goes without saying...
+1

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  21:04:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think that also largely depends on the cities' inhabitants. If they are populated by creatures I ever so dislike [which I would rather not specify so as not to derail the topic further], I might with less or no doubt at all say that land-based cities are way cooler.

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  21:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
seethyr said it, it was the horde of orcs and good know what else that made hem build the flying cities. plus later they became very much like the video game longest journey the elite lived above ground and the poor were allowed to live there but most stayed on the ground. once the cities were raised they had a field day killing orc's itwas crazy read the free pdf's for the old empire you will see. great source for knowledge and adventures even the resting place for our good old tarrasque

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  22:00:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If the timeline is correct, Ioulaum led "The Excursion Into Extinction" and annihilated the largest concentration of orcs in Netheril land prior to creating the mythallar.

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  22:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
idd it was. imagine the fun they had once they were above them

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 07 Nov 2011 16:02:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  02:02:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine the first city was lofted as a "hey, this will be cool if I could pull it off" type of thing. After that, it was everyone wanting to share in that coolness.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  03:03:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Netheril: Empire of Magic:-

" ... it soon became a flying city as people from all across Netheril flocked to him, wanting to live in the clouds, high above the threat of 'those who fear and don’t understand magic.'"

--

Couple that with the near-absolute arrogance most Netherese arcanists possessed with regard to arcane practices, and the need to further exploit the possibilities offered by the mythallars, and we begin to see why it was almost inevitable that such expressions of magic-use, came about.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  03:09:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet surprising that the obvious next evolution from flying city, that is a city which can travel to different worlds and planes, hardly existed. Only three cities had such capability, I believe, and managed to survive Netheril's Fall.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  03:54:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I believe they didn't see the risk worth it at the time. Do remember, too , that planar travel in the time of Karsus wasn't widely known. Many archwizards even considered Telamont's dabbling with shadow magic and the then Demiplane of Shadow too unconventional.

But if they had lived longer, I suppose many would have tried Telamont's feat.

Edited by - Dennis on 07 Nov 2011 03:55:19
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  04:52:17  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would also be easier to keep an eye on your nation if you could move your entire stronghold around instead of just moving armies.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  05:18:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe. But transportation had never been a problem to them. They could shift through space [almost always] at will.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  07:39:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Yet surprising that the obvious next evolution from flying city, that is a city which can travel to different worlds and planes, hardly existed. Only three cities had such capability, I believe, and managed to survive Netheril's Fall.

I attribute that, partly, to the arrogance of the majority of "High Netherese."

It's harder to "lord over" the denizens of the low-lands when your flying city is off visiting another plane.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  15:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excess. I see the flying cities as a logical extension of the "bigger = better" mentality. The Netherese just wanted to demonstrate their own superiority in the flashiest way imaginable.

Also there is some practicality involved when it comes to escaping marauding humanoids, etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  15:57:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in NY (although not the city). The most expensive real-estate in the city is the highest. the cheapest apartments are ground level (or even lower).

The ability to "look down at" your fellow man is just something the aristocracy has always enjoyed doing, throughout history, and our current level of technology simply allows us to do that even better.

The same goes for the Netherease - the intelligentsia among them wanted to 'rise above' the commoners, and did precisely that, quite literally. They had the tech, and used it. If RW man could create flying cities, we would, and all the wealthiest folk n the world would live in them (unless they were acrophobic, which I am sure some Netherease Archmages were... elst why something like Saurgauth?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Nov 2011 15:58:07
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  16:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happened, things got pretty bad but remember like in Stargate the Aliens that SG1 started working with and turned out they were going to wipe everyone by making people sterile, all for turning earth into a farm world.

The Netherese needed their farms lands for food, bread and wine with out them it would have been an expensive commodity that I can hardly see the archmages doing with out. One good example I love to bring up is the Never ending party on the hitch hikers guide to the universe, flying party that never ended they would travel world pillaging farm lands for wine, liquor and savouries.

Netherese with out their lands would have been pirates.

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 07 Nov 2011 16:13:42
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  16:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pirate Archmages flying around faerun in a small/medium sized but efficient flying fortress for quick and fast attacks full of heavy artillery.

Imagine how everyone felt when the Citadel of the Shade Entered the realmspace again, I would be investing in espionage and heavy anti-air artillery and praying to find something that is capable of destroying mythals built in netheril. Like the Gatekeeper's Crystal or something...

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  17:03:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Pirate Archmages flying around faerun in a small/medium sized but efficient flying fortress for quick and fast attacks full of heavy artillery.

Imagine how everyone felt when the Citadel of the Shade Entered the realmspace again, I would be investing in espionage and heavy anti-air artillery and praying to find something that is capable of destroying mythals built in netheril. Like the Gatekeeper's Crystal or something...

Purple and Bold?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  17:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I whisper or try to speak quietly like this you will see this. Other wise my voice is electrified by the weave, enchanted by ages past.

However Purple and bold reminds me of the Purple Dragons

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 07 Nov 2011 19:58:18
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  17:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we must purple, I prefer purple and bold. If it's bolded, I can at least read it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  17:46:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

If we must purple, I prefer purple and bold. If it's bolded, I can at least read it.

I don't even bother reading the posts that are colored, bold, or in all CAPS

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  18:42:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to flying cities ... were they all accounted for after Netheril's Fall?

I doubt anyone took a census or confirmed crash-sites for every single city off some great checklist. There were many hundreds or even thousands of flying cities in Netheril, it's not impossible for dozens of them to still remain unaccounted.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  19:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Back to flying cities ... were they all accounted for after Netheril's Fall?

I doubt anyone took a census or confirmed crash-sites for every single city off some great checklist. There were many hundreds or even thousands of flying cities in Netheril, it's not impossible for dozens of them to still remain unaccounted.

All of them or most can be found on the maps inside the netheril campaign setting with their location and crash sites.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  21:39:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of them, yes. Three are known to have fled to other planes. But how many are missing?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  21:43:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Most of them, yes. Three are known to have fled to other planes. But how many are missing?

Wait, three fled to other planes? What was the third? I'm only recalling Shade and Opus...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Nov 2011 21:44:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000