Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cross Promotion for Fantasy Authors
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  14:38:19  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We all know that there are MANY fantasy authors to choose from today when you scan through the shelves at your favorite bookstore. There is nothing worse than picking out a new book from a new author and being totally disappointed when you read it, assuming of course that you don't give up and throw the book against the wall.

This thread is designed to be a place where we can recommend authors to each other based on other authors in an "If...then..." sort of fashion. For example: If you liked JJJ JJJJ then you might also like YYY YYYY. The recommendations will just be suggestions from personal experience, but they might be a good way to help avoid some bad books in the future. Please share your suggestions and recommendations.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  14:42:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Don't my threads/polls [Who Should Wear the Crown and Rising Stars] touch on this?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  14:45:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Don't my threads/polls [Who Should Wear the Crown and Rising Stars] touch on this?

Lol i am sure many threads on here TOUCH on it, but lets totally immerse ourselves in it.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  14:45:40  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe just go for the positive experiences?

I think there's been a number of threads which have turned quite negative, towards authors, recently.

Just my personal opinion.

If anyone could point me in the direction of an author similar to George R R Martin that would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  14:51:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

I think there's been a number of threads which have turned quite negative, towards authors, recently.

Just my personal opinion.

If anyone could point me in the direction of an author similar to George R R Martin that would be appreciated.

I have heard that Joe Abercrombie has a similar feel that Martin has. I haven't read anything by him yet but will actually start his book Best Served Cold after i finish the Black Prism.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 03 Nov 2011 14:51:32
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  14:56:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quite difficult [if not impossible]. Not everyone has the same tastes. And going by your example, not everyone likes GRR Martin.

I've heard Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson being compared to Martin, in both positive and negative ways. For me, like Martin, Sanderson tends to be unnecessarily verbose, sometimes to the point of being unbearable. However, they are great world-builders, and they've created some of the most interesting characters in the fantasy firmament.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  14:59:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Quite difficult [if not impossible]. Not everyone has the same tastes. And going by your example, not everyone likes GRR Martin.

I've heard Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson being compared to Martin, in both positive and negative ways. For me, like Martin, Sanderson tends to be unnecessarily verbose, sometimes to the point of being unbearable. However, they are great world-builders, and they've created some of the most interesting characters in the fantasy firmament.

Both high on my "to read" list

Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:15:37  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Dennis and entreri3478 for your suggestions.

I only meant that if the thread was in regards to, "If you like X then you might like Y", and not, "If you hate X then give a big swerve to Y"
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:16:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks Dennis and entreri3478 for your suggestions.

I only meant that if the thread was in regards to, "If you like X then you might like Y", and not, "If you hate X then give a big swerve to Y"

LOL, readers are passionate about the authors they love and hate, so this thread could quickly go either way

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 03 Nov 2011 15:17:36
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:28:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This doesn't work, as the other thread testifies to. Everyone's taste is different.

For instance, I hated Shanarra, but loved The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - no two people are going to agree 100% of the time.

And look at the OP - if an editor edited it, and a publisher published it, don't you think a new author would have never made it that far if someone didn't think it was good?

Now, known authors have some leeway, and can produce a lemon every once in awhile (so long as it isn't their first, because it's doubtful there will ever be a second in that case).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2011 15:29:24
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:39:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This doesn't work, as the other thread testifies to. Everyone's taste is different.

For instance, I hated Shanarra, but loved The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - no two people are going to agree 100% of the time.

And look at the OP - if an editor edited it, and a publisher published it, don't you think a new author would have never made it that far if someone didn't think it was good?

Now, known authors have some leeway, and can produce a lemon every once in awhile (so long as it isn't their first, because it's doubtful there will ever be a second in that case).

New to a reader does not have to mean an author who has not written anything else. I have never read anything by Robert Jordan, so he is new author to me.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:11:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robert Jordan is a tough one - I loved the series, but grew bored with it after 6th book or so - he never brings ANYTHING to a conclusion.

Sword of Truth is VERY similar (suspiciously so), but too preachy for most. The first book was great, but once he got some acclaim Terry Goodkind used his books as a soapbox for his personal views (not my opinion - its what most critics say about him).

I heard Eragon was good, but I thought the movie was boring, so I probably won't read it. I know that is unfair, but first impressions tend to color the rest of our judgements.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2011 16:12:38
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody read 'Grunts', by Mary Gentle? One of my all time favourite books. Fantasy with attitude!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:24:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Robert Jordan is a tough one - I loved the series, but grew bored with it after 6th book or so - he never brings ANYTHING to a conclusion.

Sword of Truth is VERY similar (suspiciously so), but too preachy for most. The first book was great, but once he got some acclaim Terry Goodkind used his books as a soapbox for his personal views (not my opinion - its what most critics say about him).

I heard Eragon was good, but I thought the movie was boring, so I probably won't read it. I know that is unfair, but first impressions tend to color the rest of our judgements.

Yep i have heard that about Jordan, which makes me very hesitant to start the series.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:33:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joe Abercrombie is very similar, also Bernard Cornwell (doesn't have magic), Jack Vance, Paul Kearney, even Robert Graves (the intrigue), Poul Anderson maybe.

Tad Williams and Robin Hobb as well, tough they become boring after reading asoiaf.

quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Anybody read 'Grunts', by Mary Gentle? One of my all time favourite books. Fantasy with attitude!

No, I read ''Ash'', can't wait to read more
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:

Joe Abercrombie is very similar, also Bernard Cornwell (doesn't have magic), Jack Vance, Paul Kearney, even Robert Graves (the intrigue), Poul Anderson maybe.

Tad Williams and Robin Hobb as well, tough they become boring after reading asoiaf.

quote:

It's not for the faint of heart- one of the most memorable quotes is;
"Pass me another elf sergeant, this one's split".
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:51:17  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:

quote:

It's not for the faint of heart- one of the most memorable quotes is;
"Pass me another elf sergeant, this one's split".

What sub-genre of fantasy does she write?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  18:17:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've heard that it wasn't all that, myself, and that part of the reason the book got attention was because of the age of the author.

I've not read the book, though. I saw the movie, and thought it was just Star Wars with anything sci-fi stripped away and replaced with pure fantasy. Except it wasn't as enjoyable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  18:19:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure most of us have read the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies... I also rather like some of Weis & Hickman's other books, like The Death Gate Cycle, the Darksword books, the Rose of the Prophet trilogy... Weis & Hickman are among the few authors that can sell me a book by putting their name on it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:24:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm sure most of us have read the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies... I also rather like some of Weis & Hickman's other books, like The Death Gate Cycle, the Darksword books, the Rose of the Prophet trilogy... Weis & Hickman are among the few authors that can sell me a book by putting their name on it.

Agreed. I've also borrowed this purchasing philosophy for their individual works as well.

I know some fans can and will only read their combined works, but I think their individual efforts are just as admirable as their co-authored books.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:57:08  Show Profile Send Mandarb Carai an Caldazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try to avoid author comparisons and just list the people I like and why that way everyone can make their own decisions.

I agree with Sage and Wooley, Weis and Hickman on the cover will get the book to the top of the "Ooooo let's read a couple of chapters" list and then I go from there.

Robin Hobb writes some compelling characters though I much prefered the Farseer books to her other works, mainly because of the characters.

I like Terry Brooks' works a great deal, I don't want to spoil anything: I figured out his stuff was post-apocalyptic many years ago. If you read chronologically he manages to continually create interesting characters without them becoming driving forces in the world. The magic in his books is appropriately ballanced between power and cost so as to not be a nuclear missle in everyone's possesion and the relative area his "world" covers continues to grow over time so there is a nice thread of discovery in there as well.

The final Wheel of Time book is finally on its way so my fingers are crossed that enough of the story gets resolved that I don't jump up in rage and throw the book through the nearest window. While highly character driven, the series tantalizes so much backstory that if Harriet (the late James Oliver Rigney's wife) were to allow it there could possibly be dozens more novels in the future based on different eras.

However, in between waiting for my most anticipated Realms novels my 2 favourite authors right now are Steven Erikson and his Malazan Book of the Fallen and Ian Cameron Esslemont and his Malazan Empire books. While related, the two series don't really interact as the purpose and driving force for each are different. If you're looking for something heavily character, philosophy, and pathos driven with immense ammounts of detail about the fictional universe and an interesting magic system I would go there.

Just my 2 coppers.

For Manetheren!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  02:02:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really need to read these "Malazan" books. Every time I hear them mentioned in conversation about fantasy authors, I'm left wanting to know more.

Go to Top of Page

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  02:16:54  Show Profile Send Mandarb Carai an Caldazar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I really need to read these "Malazan" books. Every time I hear them mentioned in conversation about fantasy authors, I'm left wanting to know more.

Well, Sage, I couldn't recommend them more highly to any fan of fantasy settings. You'd need to be settled in for a long haul though, the dimensions on the trade paperback versions are 800 - 1100pgs(ish), 6" X 9", with a fairly small type, very long but enjoyable reads.

Also, I got so caught up in the Malazan books I forgot to mention Raymond Feist, I haven't yet come up with anything bad to say about any of his books.

For Manetheren!

Edited by - Mandarb Carai an Caldazar on 04 Nov 2011 02:34:14
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  03:09:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nah. The paperback edition of Erikson's books are newspaper quality. Grab the hardbound instead.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  03:19:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Except it wasn't as enjoyable.

quote:

I'm sure most of us have read the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies...
Nope. Not a one.

As I have said, we all have differing tastes here. I have heard great things about Dragonlance (the novels), and yet, I can't get past certain aspects of the setting. That, and a very bad RPing experience with it.

I'd also recommend the Riverworld series - not precisely the kind of fantasy most of us are used to, but very good regardless. I already said how I like the 'alternate history' genre, and it doesn't get more 'alternate' then that setting. Those books make me want to put a paddlewheel riverboat in every setting I run.

The Chronicles of Amber and the World of Tiers are also both excellent series, especially for the planer buff. The second series was actually inspired by the first (the author says so in the preface), despite being different writers (and they could easily exist within the same universe, along with Moorcock/Elric and MtG).

I highly recommend The Throne of Bones if you like dark... its REALLY DARK.
One word of caution: VERY adult content (disturbing adult content).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  03:38:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mandarb Carai an Caldazar

I like Terry Brooks' works a great deal, I don't want to spoil anything: I figured out his stuff was post-apocalyptic many years ago. If you read chronologically he manages to continually create interesting characters without them becoming driving forces in the world. The magic in his books is appropriately ballanced between power and cost so as to not be a nuclear missle in everyone's possesion and the relative area his "world" covers continues to grow over time so there is a nice thread of discovery in there as well.

Your spoiler was revealed early on, in Elfstones, I believe, if not in Sword.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  03:44:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nah. The paperback edition of Erikson's books are newspaper quality. Grab the hardbound instead.

Hardcovers aren't really an option for me, especially when they're still so heavily priced here in Australia.

It's almost always paperbacks... unless they're authors I particularly favour, like Ed Greenwood, Terry Pratchett, or Neil Gaiman. Then I'll pay the often ridiculous price-tags for hardcovers.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Nov 2011 03:46:30
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  04:59:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hardcovers aren't really an option for me, especially when they're still so heavily priced here in Australia.

It's almost always paperbacks... unless they're authors I particularly favour, like Ed Greenwood, Terry Pratchett, or Neil Gaiman. Then I'll pay the often ridiculous price-tags for hardcovers.

Hardbound are also ridiculously priced here in the Philippines. But I still go for it, because paperbacks don't last that long, no matter how much I take care of them. I already replaced five FR paperbacks [and more than a dozen other books] because the spines were so wrinkled that the titles could hardly be read and the pages started to come loose.

However, if I am not sure that I will really like a book, [if it is just for sampling an author's work], I tend to grab its paperback edition. Which at times prove to be a more expensive habit because when I end up liking it, I would buy the hardbound edition after.

As for Erikson, it's worth buying hardbound.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  12:51:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mandarb Carai an Caldazar

I'll try to avoid author comparisons and just list the people I like and why that way everyone can make their own decisions.

I agree with Sage and Wooley, Weis and Hickman on the cover will get the book to the top of the "Ooooo let's read a couple of chapters" list and then I go from there.

Robin Hobb writes some compelling characters though I much prefered the Farseer books to her other works, mainly because of the characters.

The final Wheel of Time book is finally on its way so my fingers are crossed that enough of the story gets resolved that I don't jump up in rage and throw the book through the nearest window. While highly character driven, the series tantalizes so much backstory that if Harriet (the late James Oliver Rigney's wife) were to allow it there could possibly be dozens more novels in the future based on different eras.

However, in between waiting for my most anticipated Realms novels my 2 favourite authors right now are Steven Erikson and his Malazan Book of the Fallen and Ian Cameron Esslemont and his Malazan Empire books. While related, the two series don't really interact as the purpose and driving force for each are different. If you're looking for something heavily character, philosophy, and pathos driven with immense ammounts of detail about the fictional universe and an interesting magic system I would go there.

Just my 2 coppers.

I recently read Esslemont's Night of Knives, and even though it was a little slow in the beginnning, it intrigued me enough to read the reast of his books. I have heard great things about Erikson too.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  12:58:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I also go for the mass market paperback copy. It's tough to wait for the release after seeing the hardcover, but i can fit many more of them on my book shelves and can buy 4 paperbacks for every hardcover

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  12:59:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hardbound are also ridiculously priced here in the Philippines. But I still go for it, because paperbacks don't last that long, no matter how much I take care of them. I already replaced five FR paperbacks [and more than a dozen other books] because the spines were so wrinkled that the titles could hardly be read and the pages started to come loose.

However, if I am not sure that I will really like a book, [if it is just for sampling an author's work], I tend to grab its paperback edition. Which at times prove to be a more expensive habit because when I end up liking it, I would buy the hardbound edition after.

As for Erikson, it's worth buying hardbound.

All of my paperbacks still look brand new even if they are 25 years old, minus the natural page-yellowing of course.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000