Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow Equipment Disintegrating
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  03:05:12  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

Arteris,

There are places in the depths of the Underdark that emit magic in a way very akin to the radiation of a nuclear reaction, this is called the faerzress. Aside from imbuing armor and weapons (if exposed to sufficiently powerful doses of the radiation) the faerzress also disrupts teleportation and translocation magic while in the Underdark, making it near impossible to teleport into, out of, or around the Underdark. Also, the many magical abilities the Drow posses, as well as their innate magical resistance, are the results of long-term exposure to the faerzress. That is why when Drow Elves go to the surface they lose some of their spell like abilities.

Actually the radiation is of a magical nature, and not even close to nuclear radiation. No offense, alot of people in my game store make that mistake and it is one of my pet peeves. If it was nuclear radiation, you would have a race of extinct drow, or really big cockroaches. If it was nuclear radiation you would be hard pressed to find any adventurers willing to go down there, unless they wanted to commit suicide in a very slow, sickening, painful way.

I don't know why I made a point of that. Probably because some munchkin in the game store was just saying how it was nuclear radiation about an hour ago. It was still annoying me.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  15:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so maybe I made a mistake when I drew that analogy. But what I said was that they emit in a way that was similar to nuclear radiation -- not that the two types themselves were similar.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  21:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the way the analogy was phrased by Dracandos was not to refer to the faerzress as muclear radiation, but simply that state it is a magical radiation that behaves like nuclear radiation. Just the way it read to me.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  01:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
correct Edain Shadowstar, i was saying it is emitted the way a nuclear explosion would be emitted

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  04:08:51  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand what you mean, but I don't even think magical radiation would emit as nuclear radiation, for several reasons that aren't worth going into, having to do with mass, Schroedinger et al. and electrons. I guess I am just a purist when it comes to my fantasy. My friends still Jibe me over how much I hate the movie A KNight's Tale.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  16:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which still brings up the qestion. How do people get it out and not have it fall apart? Could it be because the drow's methods of making the weapons have some form of effect on the metal that causes the magic eminitions to react badly with sun light? There have been many people and many other weapons, that are mad of said metal yet do not fall apart in sun light. It very well could be because of some drow method.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  16:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooops. I almost forgot. There is an ed of the underdark. Its where the magma flows lol. Actully in one of th drizzt ooks I thought they were running over a pit of magama? Or was it acid? I dont remember. here the mind flayers were.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2003 :  22:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* Mournblade, its not a big deal...all i was saying is that the magic was being emmitted from them, a nuke reaction being emmited was an example, jeeze, lets nm the thing

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  00:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I understand what you mean, but I don't even think magical radiation would emit as nuclear radiation, for several reasons that aren't worth going into, having to do with mass, Schroedinger et al. and electrons. I guess I am just a purist when it comes to my fantasy. My friends still Jibe me over how much I hate the movie A KNight's Tale.

Analogy. Let's say it together, class . . . "Ah-nah-low-gee."

Of course, now that you bring it up, none of those things would have anything to do with it. Magic is massless and some form of energy. And you're the one who keeps throwing up the claim "Another universe!" so why not have spontanious nuclear fission/fusion with magic being emitted?

Okay, I'm just pulling your chain. It wouldn't work that way, or Toril's sun wouldn't shine right.

Seriously, how else would you describe an emanation of magic from particular places where the energy seems to propagate according to the inverse square law? Drawing an analogy to nuclear radiation -- as an example -- seems to me the only way to relate it to real life.

Besides, I wasn't the one to call it radiation in the first place. We have the great sage Ed of the Greenwood to thank for that, don't we?

Myself, I always describe magic (when I need to in a story) as a third state; that is, the universe(s) is/are composed of matter, energy, and magic. It's a bigger fudge than Einstein's "Cosmological Constant" . . . but hey, it can't actually contradict anything that way.

Oh, and you're not the only one to be annoyed (to put it mildly) at that movie.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  05:47:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Both about the movie, and the analogy to nuclear radiation. But the ability of emanation attributed to a magical area is where the analogy should stop. Anything more, and we begin again - the cycle of drawing the 'laws of physics' into fantasy world dynamics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  14:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually let me handle this one sage!! I know how! SHUT THE FOOK UP! .... there hehe

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  15:49:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the Fooker's over on another website.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  06:44:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...I remember this from a while back...System Administrators...what a joke...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  04:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, getting all fed up over an analogy? I though we were above quibbling over semantics? Oh...no...I guess not. Well then, you can't play with my toys anoymore!

P.S. A Knight's Tale was amusing. Not because it was comedic, but because it actually got made. But I also say that about Highlander 2...and Highlander 3.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  01:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont believe any of us sages were very wild about playin with ur "toys" anyway Edain Shadowstar...

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2003 :  14:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. You might have been. Your funny like that hehe just kidding. Just make sure to leave my tomes alone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000