Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sembia Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  11:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got two books in the Sembia series: Sands of the Soul and Lord of Stormweather. Any good?

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  14:15:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, without ruining the stories of both novels too much, all I will say is that while both were a good read, I found Lord of Stormweather, to be my more favored of the two. But my opinion maybe heavily biased anyway because I am a fan of Thamalon Uskevren II. Thazienne's tales really didn't appeal to me all that much.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  15:58:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Well, without ruining the stories of both novels too much, all I will say is that while both were a good read, I found Lord of Stormweather, to be my more favored of the two. But my opinion maybe heavily biased anyway because I am a fan of Thamalon Uskevren II. Thazienne's tales really didn't appeal to me all that much.

I concur. Yeesh, that sounds like we are on a board. "What do you think Sirius of Sage's opinion?"

"I concur."

Sirius back in serious mode. I've always loved Tazi and how Voronica Whitney Robinson writes her. I think Tazi is a character with a great deal of potentail for some great novels. That being said, I like Sage didn't find Sands of the Soul as appealing as some of the other Sembia books primarily because of the setting. I really was looking forward to seeing Tazi in Sembia or surrounding areas using her "unique" skills. Still, I understand that for the character and the story, the setting had to move. Yet, to me, the moment the book left Sembia, it got less interesting.

I think in the latest novel, Crimson Gold set in Thay, that the story is stronger than Sands of the Soul. This newest novel posseses what I feel is a stronger story and again excellent characterization by Voronica Whitney Robinson on Tazi and the other characters. However, I think the events in the book's climax become larger than the character and somewhat more epic than I ever could have imagined. Still, I enjoyed reading the book. I'm just still looking for....that penultimate Tazi novel. No offense to anyone who has enjoyed the two novels she's been featured in or to the author.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  05:23:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, probably why I felt less interested in both of Thazienne's tales, was because at the time, I had read Sands of the Soul first, and then The Price from The Halls of Stormweather second. This may have made the overall portrayal of the main character a little disjointed and more difficult to follow than the others. Then again, maybe I'll just wait for Crimson Gold...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  09:27:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Lina, IMHO, Sembia is by far one of the best FR novel series. But I have to say that they MUST be read in order otherwise youre missing out on certain events which span over into some of the novels. Definately read Halls of Stormweather first!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  12:49:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That may be a little difficult, at least offline anyway. I am not entirely sure where Lina does her FR novel shopping, but most of the bookstores I have visited don't stock any copies of The Halls of Stormweather anymore.

Of course, the whole point of me even saying this could be completely moot if Lina does indeed already possess a copy of THoSW.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  20:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That may be a little difficult, at least offline anyway. I am not entirely sure where Lina does her FR novel shopping, but most of the bookstores I have visited don't stock any copies of The Halls of Stormweather anymore.

Of course, the whole point of me even saying this could be completely moot if Lina does indeed already possess a copy of THoSW.

Shucks! Reminds me of the days when the UK was neglected by WotC for supplying FR products In that case, id leave them alone Lina, whilst they are excellent novels in their own right, id not recommend reading them without the others in the series and in order.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2003 :  09:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh darn it... It's too bad that they bookstores don't stock the halls of stormweather. Just so happen that I don't have a copy of the first book in the series or any of the ones following as I just grab any fr book that I see off the shelf and buy it. Yes, I'm nuts aren't I. Wait don't answer that. The truth maybe too much for you to handle. Anyways, where was I? Ahh, yes... bookstores hmm, well there only two main ones in Perth which Sage of Perth knows coz I can't recall their names at the moment, but A&R uses green and the other red in their logos. Well if I can't find any of the ones previous then I'll just have to make do with the ones that I have and put all the pieces together with my brilliant perception and puzzule solving skills. But I may be a while in starting the series as I have other books which I am currently occupied with and books following that which are on my list to read.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  02:29:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lina, I know of more than just two. Which ones are you talking about?.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  22:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lina, I know of more than just two. Which ones are you talking about?.

Well in Perth the two major ones are Angus$Robertson and The Bookshop?? Bookstore?? Oh something like that but it had 'book' in the name. As you may have noticed I don't pay attention to minor details.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  06:06:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...I am familiar with both of those places. Tell me, have you tried Supernova Books, or maybe even Valhalla - although they are in the middle of a relocation at the moment, so their stock may be limited?...

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Dec 2003 06:08:06
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  10:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm...I am familiar with both of those places. Tell me, have you tried Supernova Books, or maybe even Valhalla - although they are in the middle of a relocation at the moment, so their stock may be limited?...

No I haven't. Where are they relocating to?

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  12:20:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They haven't released that information, at least since the last time I talked to them. They still had two places to choose from to move into so...

On the plus side, I recently sent an email to them asking about The Halls of Stormweather. They said they may have one or two copies in their stock, so once the relocation is over, I suggest you find out were they are and head on over to pick up your copy...

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2004 :  10:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

They haven't released that information, at least since the last time I talked to them. They still had two places to choose from to move into so...

On the plus side, I recently sent an email to them asking about The Halls of Stormweather. They said they may have one or two copies in their stock, so once the relocation is over, I suggest you find out were they are and head on over to pick up your copy...

Thanks Sage. How do I get intouch with them to find out where they will move to?

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2004 :  13:44:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since their main computer is now offline (as well as their website), any details they have regarding their move will have to be obtained by physically visiting the shop before they close their doors.

I received my last email newsletter from Valhalla just before Christmas and haven't had anything since. However I am intending on paying them a visit very soon, so I'll try and find out everything I can concerning the move, and their new location.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2004 :  13:46:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Lina, I also know of several other smaller-gaming stores that don't receive a lot of attention, around the metropolitan area...Are you north or south of the river?...

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2004 :  10:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually Lina, I also know of several other smaller-gaming stores that don't receive a lot of attention, around the metropolitan area...Are you north or south of the river?...

I'm a northerner myself but a bit more inland so all the major shopping complexes like Karryinup, etc are a bit far. The closest to me is Morley Galleria.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2004 :  11:58:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I was thinking.

Oh well...I might email you a small listing of places that I have found which sometimes carry FR novels...

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  13:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's what I was thinking.

Oh well...I might email you a small listing of places that I have found which sometimes carry FR novels...

Thanks Sage. Buy the way since when did you change your Profile from Sage of Perth to The Sage and your piccy to? I really hate to be brutally honest with you but your pic looks a bit dorky, all he needs is a gap between his front teeth and he looks like one of the three stooges. Well I hope that last comment didn't change your mind about giving me the shopping list and I'll be sure to check my email from time to time (to delete any profaneties you send me that are to delicate to post here).

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  04:42:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Buy the way since when did you change your Profile from Sage of Perth to The Sage and your piccy to?..."...Well, I think this scroll should answer that...

As for the listing, I'm still getting the names and address of the last few places down, unfornately, I actually have to visit them to be sure they were the bookstores that I remember. I should have something for you by next week...time permitting of course...

Go to Top of Page

Signal-9
Acolyte

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  02:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Signal-9's Homepage Send Signal-9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should really read the sembia series in order.

"Dont make him come near me, Tanis !. I assure you. I am capable of this, truly. What i have sought all my life is within my grasp. I will let nothing stop me. Look at Caramon's face, Tanis ! He Knows ! I kiled him once. I can do it again..."
- Raistlin (Dragons of Spring Dawning)
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  15:22:46  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i agree. i just finished the whole series, and if u dont read them in order, they ruin a lot of the experience, due to the spoilers in almost,if not all, books. good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  04:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Buy the way since when did you change your Profile from Sage of Perth to The Sage and your piccy to?..."...Well, I think this scroll should answer that...

As for the listing, I'm still getting the names and address of the last few places down, unfornately, I actually have to visit them to be sure they were the bookstores that I remember. I should have something for you by next week...time permitting of course...

Well sage that link did answer my question. I thought the avatar looked a little familiar other than one of the three stooges, Moe or was that Larry?

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  04:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:

i agree. i just finished the whole series, and if u dont read them in order, they ruin a lot of the experience, due to the spoilers in almost,if not all, books. good luck.

Well it's a bit too late to be reading them in order. What can I say... I got bored. I don't mind it though coz by reading it out of order I get curious about what happened in the past and that gives me the motivation to read through a book to which I've already read the sequel. Yes well they say that curiosity can kill a cat, but not this one so far and besides I'm half-drow so I have nothing to fear!

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000