Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Vengeful Banshee
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  03:55:19  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to Selvetarm...Why does it matter if he's controlled by Lolth? Gods can have very few worshipers and still be a god. Gods serve other gods. I don't understand what any of that has to be with being a divine being. Would he have been a God, and then not been one anymore, in your view? We know he has many of his own worshipers - I would think probably more than some other minor demigods like Siamorphe, Jergal, M'Daas, Urogolan or Eshowdow.

Gwaeron is a separate deity from Mielikki but I think I remember reading that he is hardly worshiped except within her Church.

Selvetarm seems like the ideal candidate for a neutral drow deity. Like if he broke free of Lolth's influence and Zanassu's evil taint...in the possibly scenario I already mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  20:09:24  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would actually like to see Selvetarm neutral.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  20:11:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a god because he was born one. Simple enough. His mother was Zandilar(later Sharess/Bast) and his father is Vaerhaun. Ergo, he's a god, whether he has many followers or not.

On Kiaransalee, her goals are primarily to take domination of the drow from Lolth, and, um, that's about it. Vengeence is her only real concern, apart from ruling an army of undead. (Really? Can't she set her sights any higher than THAT?!) She's insane, cruel beyond what is needed, and has no qualms about sacrificing an entire civilization to get what she wants. Sounds like the poster-girl for evil to me. she doesn't care about alignment- but then again, she really doesn't care much about ANYTHING. And that is sort of the point of being evil. Do what you want, regardless of whom it hurts!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  20:17:31  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that about Kiaransalee. It fits her to me lol. I do wish Selvetarm were neutral though. He seems like the perfect example to become one, if he broke free from Lolth.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  17:49:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

In regards to Selvetarm...Why does it matter if he's controlled by Lolth? Gods can have very few worshipers and still be a god. Gods serve other gods. I don't understand what any of that has to be with being a divine being. Would he have been a God, and then not been one anymore, in your view? We know he has many of his own worshipers - I would think probably more than some other minor demigods like Siamorphe, Jergal, M'Daas, Urogolan or Eshowdow.

-His sole purpose is to be champion of Lolth. It is unnecessary for him to be a deity, in that role, as opposed to being a powerful divine servant. The designers should have gone that route with Selvetarm- especially since he does not particularly even get free reign when it comes to his own followers, given that the Church of Lolth dictates to them what is permissible and what is not.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2011 :  12:23:41  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jusr remember, just because Kiaransalee's power has been wiped from the realms space doesn't mean she is actually dead everywhere in the planes.....Gods are after all are mutable sources of life and death.....and she could easily be a goddess for more than just Drow on other worlds....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2011 :  18:08:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Jusr remember, just because Kiaransalee's power has been wiped from the realms space doesn't mean she is actually dead everywhere in the planes.....Gods are after all are mutable sources of life and death.....and she could easily be a goddess for more than just Drow on other worlds....

-Correct. And, even if all of her followers do not remember her in Realmspace, it still doesn't make her dead, per se. Just like how Ulitu (Sp?) and Auppenser survived with little or no worship at times, a deity is sustained, and draws power from, the portfolios they hold, in addition to the worship of mortals.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2011 :  23:41:15  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selvetarm's sole purpose is not to be the champion of Lolth. Did you read what Alystra Illianniis said?
Also I think he was first mentioned in undermountain where he was described as a "minor spider deity" that
might have just been an aspect of Lolth. These clergy didn't seem to be servants of Lolth, or beholden to her.
In the first book of the lady penitent trilogy it seemed clear he had worshipers who held him above Lolth.

Regardless, should Milil, Deneir, and Gond not exist because they serve Oghma? What does having a leader
have to do with being a God or not? Gods often seem to have leaders... him being a servant of Lolth
and therefore not a god is not logical at all.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2014 :  20:45:59  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aryalómë

Is it just me, or does anyone think that she should have been a more Chaotic Neutral deity? I feel that since all the rest of the Dark Seldarine (save Eilistraee) are evil there should at least be a neutral one. Undeath and revenge aren't really evil (unless you're close minded), so she could have easil fit the bill.
quote:

I would prefer Selvetarm be Chaotic Neutral than Kiaransalee. She is a lich who destroyed a civilization, isn't she? If alignments had scales i'd see her as the MOST evil of the drow deities to me over Lolth, and Ghaunadaur, even!
Yup, she just was like this as a mortal, and simply didn't go anywhere after carving it out of her predecessor's hide. But yes. Of course, moving from Abyss toward Limbo one hits Pandemonium. That's fine - vengeance is an obsession, after all.

quote:
I'd also have Vhaeraun not be Chaotic. I'd have him be Neutral Evil or Lawful evil for the sake of balance and just so he's a more rational sort of evil.
Remember, his portfolio is not only about thievery, but also rebellion. Chaotic part fits there. And even thievery as such is not only about simple misappropriation of valuables, either. There's daring, "hahaha, fooled you-u-u!", rebellion again, "I will take what I want because I can", etc. - quite Chaotic inclinations.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  20:10:18  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow I don't remember this conversation at all!

I would just like if Vhaeraun were made/had been made Neutral Evil so that the Drow deities had more varied alignments. In my own imagination some demihuman deities have their alignments shifted so there is more variety in alignment in keeping with their diverse followers.

Also if you rebel against a Chaotic mother couldn't that rebellion take the form of being LESS chaotic? Like not pitting your worshipers against each other, commanding they work together, gender equality, etc. If your mother forces her worshipers to kill each other, be chaotic, and the like wouldn't NOT doing those things be rebellion against her and the order established by her theocracies? Small groups of secret Vhaeraun worshipers might have to be more organized and secretive in order to survive, as well. It could be taboo for one to expose another or betray another despite being evil because of the nature of their worship.

In my own imagining of the realms (that I created because I didn't like 4e) Vhaeraun-Eilistraee became a deity after being ressurected after being killed by Halisstra. Now an Intermediate Neutral dual-gendered deity who subsumed the worshipers of Mask as well. A more fitting rival for Lolth from her twin children becoming one divine entity.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2014 :  20:36:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow I don't remember this conversation at all!

I would just like if Vhaeraun were made/had been made Neutral Evil so that the Drow deities had more varied alignments. In my own imagination some demihuman deities have their alignments shifted so there is more variety in alignment in keeping with their diverse followers.

Also if you rebel against a Chaotic mother couldn't that rebellion take the form of being LESS chaotic? Like not pitting your worshipers against each other, commanding they work together, gender equality, etc. If your mother forces her worshipers to kill each other, be chaotic, and the like wouldn't NOT doing those things be rebellion against her and the order established by her theocracies? Small groups of secret Vhaeraun worshipers might have to be more organized and secretive in order to survive, as well. It could be taboo for one to expose another or betray another despite being evil because of the nature of their worship.

I think this is already the case, his behavior is more headed towards NE than CE and at the end of the day alignemnt is just an arbitrary rule, IMO

Vhaerun already despises how Lolth forces drow into wasting their life in pointless infighting between themselves, he wants them to be united so that their strenght can be directed towards conquering dark elves' rightful place on Toril. Heck, he even approves 'collaboration' with other elven races in order to achieve that. I think he has goals that are close to Eilistraee's, as they both want to achieve freedom for their people, albeit in drastically different ways.

Furthermore -IIRC- in Faith and Pantheons (3e)it is said that he does approve and encourage betrayal and trickery, but will never forgive such acts when done to hurt the ones under his protection.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 10 Apr 2014 20:46:16
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2014 :  23:18:20  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's off subject,but has anyone else notice that Shar ,goddess of darkness and lolth both are goddess of darkness and both have thief gods for sons? Plus now not only is mask back but vhearawn may be returning. Hmmm......

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2014 :  23:50:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And both got their hands chomped off?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page