Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Companions of the Silver Worms (Resurected?)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  21:10:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, there was some talk between two of my old players and me about restarting this mercenary game that was one of my play by email games. It takes place around the Moonsea and the characters are their own branch of the mercenary company, allowing them to oversee their own jobs, etc. However, they do have a commander who is the leader of the settlement of mercenaries.

I do have the char sheets from those who were in this game before. However, I wouldn't mind adding new members/players. Looking at my files, it looked like everyone was around level 1 or level 2, so I'd stick with that.

That said, this post is mostly a post to see if anyone is interested besides the two that pestered me last week. Grins.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Banter Darkdirk
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  21:48:15  Show Profile Send Banter Darkdirk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be very interested in playing. However, I have some questions. How often do you email/respond (that way I can make sure I don't commit to something that I can't handle with my schedule)? What edition do you play? Also, if you could tell me a little bit more about your gameplay style (or maybe a writing sample) so I could see how you handle some different types of things (and any homebrew rules you play with).
Let me know!

Thanks!

Sellsword for hire; sometimes mage...most times thief.

"Stealth and wariness are virtues, as are glibness and the skill to say one thing and mean another, twisting a situation to your advantage."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  22:44:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be 3e/3.5e but I'd also allow some Pathfinder rules, which didn't exist at the time these chars were originally made.

I tend to send out email updates every other day, and usually skip the weekends. Or send out a post at the end of the week/during the weekend, which contains all the posts from that week but in one large email/file.

Some of the old logs can be found here, but it takes a bit to load because there's some long threads in that thread.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5510&SearchTerms=wyrms

House rules that I can remember could be found here:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10083&whichpage=2

As for gaming style, really, I'm pretty much someone that wants people to play what they want. I can fit in their chars and I can't really think of a time when I've said no to a character. Especially this game, since mercenaries come and go.

quote:
Originally posted by Banter Darkdirk

I would be very interested in playing. However, I have some questions. How often do you email/respond (that way I can make sure I don't commit to something that I can't handle with my schedule)? What edition do you play? Also, if you could tell me a little bit more about your gameplay style (or maybe a writing sample) so I could see how you handle some different types of things (and any homebrew rules you play with).
Let me know!

Thanks!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Jun 2011 22:45:20
Go to Top of Page

Banter Darkdirk
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  23:38:55  Show Profile Send Banter Darkdirk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. In my home game I also let people add a free regional feat at level 1. I think it helps to create more of an identity/background for them.

I'll work a character up tonite and send it to you for review.
One last question (since I'm rolling the character up tonite): do you go with the standard method for determining starting gear/wealth (plus location item) or start with maximum gp for the corresponding class?

Sellsword for hire; sometimes mage...most times thief.

"Stealth and wariness are virtues, as are glibness and the skill to say one thing and mean another, twisting a situation to your advantage."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  00:22:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually it's max starting gold based on class + the free regional item, which you can use or sell for half the cost.

quote:
Originally posted by Banter Darkdirk

Sounds good. In my home game I also let people add a free regional feat at level 1. I think it helps to create more of an identity/background for them.

I'll work a character up tonite and send it to you for review.
One last question (since I'm rolling the character up tonite): do you go with the standard method for determining starting gear/wealth (plus location item) or start with maximum gp for the corresponding class?

Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  19:02:51  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there!

I'd be also interested in playing D&D by E-Mail. If you don't mind that english isn't my first language (so I'll need some seconds more to read and minutes more to write and contribute to the RPG) I'll be glad to join the "Silver Worms" Mercenary guild! If you'd supply me with some HowTo concerning your rules of procedure (and some info about character creation)…?

To proof I'm not generally a n00b: I played text-based rpg (forums, mostly and sometimes chat as well) for, let's say, about ten years now. But I've never included pen&paper rules, it was just free writing with self-defined characters (existing als background-description, detailed cv, etc.). So – how do you do the rules stuff like rolling dice?

Looking forward to hearing from the group,
X

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  20:17:06  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely would be interested to join in this game Kuje. I have some character ideas but I'll talk to you about that later. What do you do with dice rolls?

Edited by - shandiris on 22 Jun 2011 20:22:09
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  20:17:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

Hi there!

I'd be also interested in playing D&D by E-Mail. If you don't mind that english isn't my first language (so I'll need some seconds more to read and minutes more to write and contribute to the RPG) I'll be glad to join the "Silver Worms" Mercenary guild! If you'd supply me with some HowTo concerning your rules of procedure (and some info about character creation)…?

To proof I'm not generally a n00b: I played text-based rpg (forums, mostly and sometimes chat as well) for, let's say, about ten years now. But I've never included pen&paper rules, it was just free writing with self-defined characters (existing als background-description, detailed cv, etc.). So – how do you do the rules stuff like rolling dice?

Looking forward to hearing from the group,
X

Well met,

No worries if English isn't your first language, that's why email games are nice, it allows you some time to work on a reply.

Do you have any of the 3e/3.5e/pathfinder core rule books?

I only have a short list of changes to the game rules, which are:

1) All knowledge and profession skills are class skills for every class. The profession and craft skills have been combined into one skill but use the Wisdom stat for figuring out the skill roll, bonuses, etc.

2) For those that have the Healing skill it also heals (if the check is made) 1d3 damage. If you have herbalism also gives a +1 to that 1d3. (Old rule for 2E, not really sure why they removed that, d3 hps isn’t that unbalanced).

3) If you want a spell, skill, prestige class, etc (prestige classes we would have to talk about though. I tend to be a stickler on prestige classes and feel they are over used but if it's some thing someone is interested in I will work it into the game as a roleplaying opportunity). Let me know what book it is in and if I have the book I’ll look it over, if I don’t have the book then I’ll ask for the info.

4) Character generation is 4d6 drop the lowest and then arrange stats to taste. For HP’s either use half the die # (so for example, for a barbarian it would be 6 + Con modifier) or roll a d12 + Con modifier and keep the number that you rolled. The regional feat is a free bonus feat but this is only from the feats from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, not the Player’s Guide. All alignments are open unless the players decide to restrict different alignments. Please include a seventh stat that is for Comeliness, which is basically appearance. Also, please send me a full list of nonmagical items that you purchased. I don’t want to see a character that has no clothing, rations, etc. I know, why does it matter? It does to me, trust me. :)

5) Also I tend not to worry too much about alignments, as long as some one supplies a good enough background, description, and info on their character then an alignment won’t really be needed unless the player is playing an evil character but even then, sometimes there are different backgrounds on why the character is evil.

6) If you multiclass, any skills that would become cross-class are not, they are still class skills.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  20:42:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shandiris

I definitely would be interested to join in this game Kuje. I have some character ideas but I'll talk to you about that later. What do you do with dice rolls?

Oh yea, I skipped that in the other post to. :)

Mostly, I just trust people to not lie to me about dice rolls. Or use uh uh uh the dice bot at invisiblecastle.com, it can email me the dice rolls by making a link that I could click on.

Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  22:02:28  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm well supplied with rule books.
What about Rules of Procedure? Like, how do you spread the posts? Putting the adresses of the other players in Cc? Or do all the players mail to the GM and it's up to him to forward the texts?

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  22:12:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm well supplied with rule books.
What about Rules of Procedure? Like, how do you spread the posts? Putting the adresses of the other players in Cc? Or do all the players mail to the GM and it's up to him to forward the texts?

Ah, yea. Usually, unless it's a private post to me, everyone is added to the post. If it's a private post between PC's, then just add the PC and me. :)

Go to Top of Page

myorke
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  19:56:18  Show Profile  Visit myorke's Homepage Send myorke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested in trying this out as well. I'm currently DM'ing two parallel campaigns based in Melvaunt, so I'm interested in anything to do with the region in general and especially as a PC for a change of pace.

Any particular classes needed at the moment? When do you plan to get under way?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  20:28:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myorke

I'd be interested in trying this out as well. I'm currently DM'ing two parallel campaigns based in Melvaunt, so I'm interested in anything to do with the region in general and especially as a PC for a change of pace.

Any particular classes needed at the moment? When do you plan to get under way?

My rule on classes is play what you want to play, I'll figure out a way to fit the character's together. This game, it should be easy since it's being resurrected with new recruits joining the unit that was formed.

And once I get at least two new characters, I'll send out emails. I have two characters from the two who were in the old game who have the time to play, so just looking for two more players.

Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  10:21:51  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost ready with my character. Should I mail or PM it to you?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  17:44:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shandiris

I'm almost ready with my character. Should I mail or PM it to you?

Email is better because I check it more often.

Kuje@rochester.rr.com

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  18:00:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just waiting for a reply to my PM for a email address from someone, and a character sheet from another.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2011 :  18:13:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okies, I have everyone's characters, I believe. So, give me till Monday to work out a few things and I'll send the opening email on that day.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  15:07:03  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go ahead and send it out to me as well. I'll try and get Caer back in action as well. :-)

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  15:15:15  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

Go ahead and send it out to me as well. I'll try and get Caer back in action as well. :-)

Woot!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  15:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

Woot!

LOL! I had wondered if you were one of the ones bugging Kuje.

We will see what kinds of trouble Caer and Luie will get into this time.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  15:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Okies, I have everyone's characters, I believe. So, give me till Monday to work out a few things and I'll send the opening email on that day.

One question that I have: Are we going to be starting from where we left off, or somewhere else? Just trying to decide how many old emails to go through.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  18:15:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

Woot!

LOL! I had wondered if you were one of the ones bugging Kuje.

We will see what kinds of trouble Caer and Luie will get into this time.

Grin, well, that's a problem.... Bakra wanted to try a different character.....

And I'm still deciding about where we left off or if I'm just going to advance the timeline a little. I should know by the end of today.

Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  18:51:02  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In what year will the events be set?

---
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  19:20:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In what year will the events be set?

That I can answer, it'll be 1375. But my realms version of 1375, which means most of the changes that WOTC has introduce since 3e are ignored. :)

Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  19:25:44  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, no plague then? Perfect. Any changes of note? Like, leaving out the Phaerimm (which I did, apparently, with my realms…) or the Shades?

---
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  20:05:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, no plague then? Perfect. Any changes of note? Like, leaving out the Phaerimm (which I did, apparently, with my realms…) or the Shades?

Basically everything from 3e and 4e is not included in my version. So, from 3e there's no invasion from shade, none of the fey'ri events, none of the silence of lloth, uh none of the events based around Cale and Skullport, etc. Azoun didn't die either, but his daughter and her husband rule Cormyr instead. The elves have a bastion in northern Cormyr where the Tree of Souls was planted, since this was a old 2e game that happened before the events in the Evermeet novel. As for 4e, I don't even have to list them, those events didn't happen at all. I have zero interest in 4e realms and refuse to buy the material.

The Shades exist but they haven't returned to Faerun.

Also the planes are still the planes from 2e, so all the settings are connected through Spelljammer or Planescape.

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Jul 2011 20:08:50
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  21:09:39  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good for me. Of the listed 3e events, I just included Lolths silent to my realms, since I'm a big fan of the Drow.

One last question: The time of Troubles happened, right? What about Bane?

---
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  22:18:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds good for me. Of the listed 3e events, I just included Lolths silent to my realms, since I'm a big fan of the Drow.

One last question: The time of Troubles happened, right? What about Bane?

Ah, no time of troubles either. :) So, it's the original mystra, bane never died, etc. Leira still exists, as do a few other deities.

Grin, sensing the theme here? I don't like realms shaking events. :) Only really used two, Moander's events and I made my own changes to the events with the Moonshae's and events in the Evermeet novel.

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Jul 2011 22:27:38
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  23:00:31  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds familiar. I refuse touching the 4E realms either, but I started with 3e realms of, like, 1368/1369 or so. Blame my youth for it. So I'm not THAT familiar with pre-ToT-Realms, I'm afraid. (Just to warn everyone… huh, I'm the group's n00bish rookie… ;D)

---
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  23:10:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds familiar. I refuse touching the 4E realms either, but I started with 3e realms of, like, 1368/1369 or so. Blame my youth for it. So I'm not THAT familiar with pre-ToT-Realms, I'm afraid. (Just to warn everyone… huh, I'm the group's n00bish rookie… ;D)

That's alright. There's not much that you'll need to know of the preToT's. Just that Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul are still alive. Mystra is the original one. Leira is still alive. Uh... beyond that. Cyric and Kelemvor don't exist, at least as deities. :) There's probably a few other deities that are still alive but I hardly reference them. Oh, and Ao doesn't exist either.

Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  23:44:51  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer the old Mystra so that's fine with me. (If there is a single deity of magic it should be a neutral one.)
Since I'm curious know, what about the Red Wizard mercantile operation? (the Enclaves)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000