Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gay marriage?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  06:24:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Malarite Marriages would be like a Sadie Hawkin's day.

You have to chase them down and subdue them!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 18 May 2011 06:28:31
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  06:27:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Very primal.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  06:32:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
That would be fun to role play!

The PC's arrive in town just in time for the festivities.

All of the Huntmaster's(Male and Female) have a day to capture their mate(PC's).

Some Gay Marriages could happen to a poor PC!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  07:06:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Malarite Marriages would be like a Sadie Hawkin's day.

You have to chase them down and subdue them!

Sounds too Neolithic.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  07:08:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Originally posted by Aldrick

To operate in the open is very much counter to the mystic of the Sharran cult. Midnight dealings, blackmail, espionage, secrets, skulking around in the dark, these are all tropes that embody the essence of Sharranism.

The Church of Shar in Sembia is still somewhat a secret. It doesn't operate in the open. The problem it faced before Shade took over the realm was that it had difficulty snaring people to be sacrificed in the altar as an offering to the Lady of Loss. When Shade took control, the problem ceased to be. The Shadovar could simply fabricate crimes supposedly committed by common folk; and instead of executing them or putting in prison, they could sacrifice them to Shar. Shade's governance of Sembia is hidden in the shadows, for they preferred the rest of Faerun to think that Sembia is still a free realm, that they have no business with it. And so do they keep the Church of Shar in secret. Sembia was never a Sharran realm; and no other realm in Faerun exclusively worships Shar other than Shade. Hence, if Shade takes Sharran worship in the open, the whole world knows who really controls Sembia. Some already know, while others suspect. But the absence of Shade enables many to doubt. That's how Telamont wants it because he does not want to attract unwanted attention, specially those of Sembia's big and powerful neighboring realms.

quote:

She is already a Greater Deity, and easily one of the most powerful at that. As a result any boost in power she'd receive from additional worship would be negligible at best.

True, Shar is already a Greater Deity. However, that doesn't mean she does not need extra power. The more people are sacrificed to her, the stronger she becomes.

quote:

Much of the problem I have with Netheril and Shar being so clearly interwoven could have been solved easily. The issue here is that everyone knows Shar's ultimate end goal. Much of this could have been avoided had a few simple changes been made...

Telamont could have become convinced that he had ascended to some form of divinity when he became a Shadovar. As a result he could have forced the inhabitants of Thultanthar to worship him as befitting a god-king. Rivalen could have been his High Priest.

In the Twilight War trilogy, Telamont admitted he would not have managed to rescue his city all by himself and survive the endless battles with the Malaugrym and other montrosities in the then Demiplane of Shadows without the help of Rivalen and Shar. The DoS is Shar's domain, where she and her powers are at the strongest. Faith in her while staying there already assured the Shadovar their survival.

Telamont is insanely strong. But clearly there is limit to his strength. He could not lead his reborn empire alone. He needs his sons. He needs Rivalen. That is why even though he already knows Rivalen's matricide, he dares not reveal it, and forbids Brennus to divulge it, because it will create a rift between his sons.

The Most High will not [yet] denounce Shar because she and her clergy has been helpful to his goals. And should his and Shar's interests clash [like the case of the Shadowstorm], he would remain firm on holding on to his. The world will eventually embrace the Void [that's what Shar wants], but Telamont will ensure that will take a very long time for it to happen. They both understand this, but so long as they benefit from each other, they would continue to use the other's influence to address their needs.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  16:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I think WotC is taking small steps, and I hope to see that trend continue.

Cheers

So do I.

It's all about the money. WotC wants to attract as many readers as possible. But most likely they are underestimating the maturity level of their readers. They don't want to take risks, even though they can control and limit the risks by, say, publishing just one novel; and the first run will be half of what is usual [10,000 or 5,000 copies].
Not to mention that it's a political hand grenade that could inflict damage to the rest of the book department, WotC itself, or even to Hasbro. Gay marriage is one of those issues that turns off a LOT of the audience, and not only to one book, but to potentially a whole line. The last thing D&D (or the country in general) needs is right-wing pundits slamming it.

And remember, WotC *does* need to answer to its corporate masters--Hasbro, fundamentally a toy company--who have not shown much in the way of progressiveness on this issue. (And it's not like it's deeply imbedded in their business--whether Mr. Moneybags has a wife or a "special friend" isn't really an issue in Monopoly.)

But all of this is secondary to the discussion at hand, which is either about marriage in the Realms or the Sharran plot (see how insidiously it creeps in?). So let's head back there, eh?

Marriage in the Realms varies, much the way it does in our own world. I think in general, you'll find it's a lot less rigidly defined, and the whole "one-man-one-woman" drive rather absent from most people's mentality. That said, your game is your game, and you should handle it however you deem appropriate.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2011 :  14:25:57  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dennis, pertaining to the whole shade mythallar thing, the fact that telamont placed layer upon layer of protection is a very good plot point i mean in the last mythal trilogy areavin used a spell in the telkirra that was abled to turn magical defenses on the caster and crush the caster. Secondly, the party could acquire some sort of magical netherese doomsday device, where in proximity to the mythallar could grant them protection from the eyes of the most high.

And to the whole topic how did we start discussing about shar and the night-damned church. First off i really hate her, i mean come on will someone just kill her and take her power already, i mean she is such a vain glorious bitch. I cant express the feeling of utter contempt i have for her, stemming from the fact that she is all over the place, whatever happened to the cult of the dragon, the ex clergy of velsharoon, the myrkulites and the crown of horns, the ancient bbeg liches who could ruin an entire party and wipe out a significant portion of faerun. Is the church of some petty godded all we can talk about??

Come on i mean she chooses MOSTLY women to do all her friggin stuff, do we really need to know about it?(well if it can destroy her church then yeah)

Hope that with the end of his 1000-year house arrest, cyric will stab her in the back with the so called cloak she gave him, talk about poetic justice.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  00:27:21  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
The last thing D&D (or the country in general) needs is right-wing pundits slamming it.

I hope you're not saying that in a derogatory way, as it seems you are. Oh, the horror that someone might disagree with the homosexual agenda . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  00:38:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Let's not walk any further down that particular road, please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  01:02:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Xar Zarath,

It's not impossible. However, the Chosen has set a somewhat high standard. Where they failed, others would find it too difficult to succeed, and might even have to sacrifice their very lives.

But if the said traitor gay priest lover [of one of the princes, to make it more convincing, I guess] would only succeed in inflicting a tiny chink to the mythallar, momentarily causing the city to tremble, then I say the possibility is higher. It appears like WotC has made the Reborn Netheril one of the supervillains for various reasons, PSK's novels included, so I guess it would take years---decades in RW calendar---before we seem fall.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  04:10:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Let's not walk any further down that particular road, please.

Agreed.

For the record, *of course* I was not being condescending. What I said is what I said, and I meant only what I said.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  14:48:11  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dennis, yes i think maybe a slight tremble to shade would be appropraite but perhaps attacking sakkors mythallar would be a better read, if only to knock flying cities back to one again, at least for the shadovar.

But people have to realize that readers are quite matured nowadays, its not necessarily young kids who are reading wotc books anymore, nowadays who knows?? i mean besides, if it were one of those, OMG DONT READ HAARY POTTER CAUSE YOU WILL GO TO HELL, kind of peopl then yeah, perhaps those poor sods cant exactly grow up, in their minds at least.

I mean there are some lesbian scenes in wotc novels, plus gory and violent scenes,elminster in hell, for example, why cant there be a novel dedicated to a dnd gay hero/villain??

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  16:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

I mean there are some lesbian scenes in wotc novels, plus gory and violent scenes,elminster in hell, for example, why cant there be a novel dedicated to a dnd gay hero/villain??
As was said earlier, progress is slow, XZ, but we're getting there.

If this is really what you want, I encourage you to keep speaking out and advocating for it. If enough people demonstrate to WotC that the market is there, they may be more inclined to tap into it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  16:40:07  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:

i mean besides, if it were one of those, OMG DONT READ HAARY POTTER CAUSE YOU WILL GO TO HELL, kind of peopl then yeah, perhaps those poor sods cant exactly grow up, in their minds at least.

An extreme minor lesbian scene to titillate young teenage boys is a FAR cry from a gay protagonist . . . especially if his gayness plays an important role in the story. That's quite a leap.

With the gay agenda's heavy handed manipulation and scare tactics, it'll probably happen in WOTC books eventually, but I'll certianly have no interest in such changes, nor will a great many other people who understand how unnatural the physical act itself is (inability to reproduce proves that, considering that, as nature's design, the PRIMARY purpose of copulation is to propagate the species).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  16:45:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
ENOUGH. We do not need that kind of commentary in these halls. Not only is it inappropriate, it's also offensive to a number of our scribes.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 May 2011 16:47:40
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  18:00:57  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

ENOUGH. We do not need that kind of commentary in these halls. Not only is it inappropriate, it's also offensive to a number of our scribes.

Xar Zarath's quote . . . "if it were one of those, OMG DONT READ HAARY POTTER CAUSE YOU WILL GO TO HELL, kind of peopl then yeah, perhaps those poor sods cant exactly grow up, in their minds at least." . . . was pretty offensive as well (but didn't seem to bother you, Wooly). Nothing like sterotyping people who believe in the value of traditional marriage and a male+female role model system for children as anti-Harry Potter nutcases that haven't let their minds grow up. Geez . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2011 :  18:09:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
We are not publicly debating this. Please check your PMs.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  01:39:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Dennis, yes i think maybe a slight tremble to shade would be appropraite but perhaps attacking sakkors mythallar would be a better read, if only to knock flying cities back to one again, at least for the shadovar.

It seems like the path that WotC is heading to with regards to Shade is moving forward...meaning, Shade is discovering more and more enclaves to once again activate. There's one near Neverwinter [as what I've heard from those who read Gauntlgrym], something which most probably the Most High will reactivate. And who knows, he might be encouraging the Skulls [former archwizards] of Skullport to join his empire and fly to the skies. Or worse, if they are uncooperative, he might send his troops to destroy the Skulls and claim the enclave as his. All of which implies that we're not going to see Sakkors fall soon.

quote:

Gay-themed literature decades ago were largely gay-centric. But there has been a recent shift in approach. To show the readers that gays do not live in isolated, enclosed society, several authors balance the theme with heterosexual relationships that it's no longer enough to categorize their books in GLBT. The novels of David Levithan, Brian Sloan, Alex Sanchez, and Paul Ruditis are proofs of that. If gay literature can shift from gay-centric to balanced, I don't see why the hetero-centric won't shift to balanced as well...But of course, as what Erik says, it will take time...much more time.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  04:06:47  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
TO wwwwww, if you dont like how the conversation is going then please dont even bother to reply, or even stay in the chat about his topic. There are a lot more scribes who want to discuss, but obviously, seeing as how you dont like to discuss the topic then please just leave and go chat somewhere else.

The realms themselves dont exactly have the sexual prejudice that we in the real world have, and how sad for us that we bicker about things like same sex marriage when its not going to even affect us, if republican parents feel that their children are exposed to too much violence(considering their gun-nuts, i dont think so) or too much sex(considering their republican senatos and congressman getting caught tapping their foot to in morese code for sex, i dont think so either) they can lock up their kids at home and watch whatever nonsense they want that somehow can defy rational thinking, and somehow put in their minds that gay marriage is better than theirs, after all poor women always get dumped or cheated on by their husbands with some perky female blonde who thinks the square root of four is rainbows.

To dennis, I dont think that the skulls will join with shade enclave, somehow they seem to be caught in their own incomprehensible logic and are unable to process anything further beyond their own purpose.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  04:39:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Alright, enough with the real-world commentary.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  04:58:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

To dennis, I dont think that the skulls will join with shade enclave, somehow they seem to be caught in their own incomprehensible logic and are unable to process anything further beyond their own purpose.

If Telamont could offer a reasonable bargain, why not?! If they still decline, he can always use force. Besides, the mythllar of Skullport has been severely damaged during the events in The Erevis Cale Trilogy, so the Skulls' powers must have been considerably diminished. Unless they somehow managed to restrengthen it.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 May 2011 13:09:40
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  12:15:27  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
To dennis, yes they could join but somehow im not seeing it, their way of thinking or simply their thought processes are just quite alien, maybe because of the circumstances of their transformation. In the erevis cale trilogy, notice how they seem to be out of it, like they just didnt really care, at least thats how i see them as. Emotionless, methodical, powerful floating skulls

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  13:44:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
In the Skullport book.

The Skulls scared Halaster.

So much that he didn't mess with them...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  19:01:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I am confused by this thread.

Off-topic chatter is allowed, and discussion of the actual topic is being lambasted... WTH?

My opinion: ALL marriage should be banned, Gays are the lucky ones... how many heterosexual men can look at a woman he has been dating for a number of years and say "sorry, can't marry you, it isn't legal"?

Marriage is nothing more then a contractual agreement that allows the gov't to interfere with people's personal lives. If you love someone, why do you need a silly piece of paper to prove it? It is little more then a 'Certificate of ownership' and I find it disgusting.

A person's sexuality doesn't bother me - the gov't/church having say over people's lives bothers me tremendously. I can only wish the RW was more like the Realms in this regard.

Also, if a piece of fiction contains a gay character (read Ursula Le Guinn's excellent Orsinian Tales), it doesn't matter to me one way or the other (as it SHOULD BE, IMHO), but if the story is written purely to showcase such a relationship, I might not be as inclined to read it. There are several other genres of fiction for that sort of thing. I don't think it should be a focal point, UNLESS there is a VERY good reason why that particular type of relationship contributed to the plot somehow.

In other words, if I read an entire story and at the end one of the male characters turns around and kisses another male character (passionately) goodbye, I would most-likely smile and say "I'll be damned!" and like the ending, but if the two men were 'smooching' on every other page, I probably wouldn't finish it. I hope that doesn't offend anyone... I would probably do the same if a man and a woman were kissing on every other page (and I've struggled through quite a few Cattie Brie/Drizzt scenes). I don't want a Harlequin Romance novel; I want a good fantasy yarn. Give me that, and I won't care about the details (or someone's sexuality). If it's just stuck in there for 'shock value' (or any other reason), then it falls into the same category as crappy B-movies with the mandatory 'boob scene'. Good stories don't need gimmicks.

The way J.K. Rawlings did Dumbledore in Harry Potter is an excellent example of doing it right - it was just there. Because the stories didn't revolve around it, it contributed to the overall believability of the characters. I remember some RW folks making a big deal of it, and I was thinking "who cares?" It didn't change anything about the stories for me at all.

Dumbledore should never be regarded as special because he was gay, and certainly by the same token, NOT in spite of it. It was just a private part of his life, nothing more.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 May 2011 19:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2011 :  20:57:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
You know what, folks? This was a really good discussion... And now people are weighing in with thoughts and opinions on marriage in the real world. That is not what we're discussing, and it's not relevant. Keep it on the Realmslore, please. I should hate to close another good discussion because someone turned it into something else.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  03:42:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

To dennis, yes they could join but somehow im not seeing it, their way of thinking or simply their thought processes are just quite alien, maybe because of the circumstances of their transformation. In the erevis cale trilogy, notice how they seem to be out of it, like they just didnt really care, at least thats how i see them as. Emotionless, methodical, powerful floating skulls

That's also my impression of them upon reading The Erevis Cale saga. But in terms of defense, they are very vulnerable. Telamont's troops could easily neutralize them should they prove uncooperative. Plus it doesn't help them that they are in the Underdark, where shadows---and by extension, Telamont's powers---are strong.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  04:02:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
I watched the Korean film A Frozen Flower that tells the story of a homosexual king who fell in love with one of his warrior-guards. The king could not bear to copulate with his wife, and instead asked his "lover" to do it with the queen, so the dynasty would be preserved. And following that is disaster after disaster...

I wonder, what would happen should one of the kings in Faerun happen to be gay? Would he do what the aforementioned king did to safeguard the throne, or would he denounce his "inclination"? But I guess depending on how open-minded the kingdom is, the king could just keep a number of male lovers [instead of concubines] and a wife. But that still leaves one issue: marriage. Can the king marry both his male lover and the woman chosen by the Council [ala ---forgive me Mods, for the comparison--- Muslim style]? What do you think?

Edited by - Dennis on 22 May 2011 04:06:53
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  06:14:59  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
To markustay, thanks for the opinion to which i wholly agree, rw just drags something like marriage into the dirt and stuff.

To dennis the whole skull thing is just kinda out, cos telamont will most likely not go for them, maybe because of their thought processes, they just dont seem very rational at least for a sane person that is, and the skulls just might jeopardize the shadovar ops. And to the whole gay king thing, i think the king could marry a guy, but out of obligation he would have to sire a child to continue his line, so maybe it will be the whole consort thing, it be funny though if it were like henry the eight and gay warrior guard like anne boleyn.

Reading twilight war trilogy and erevis cale trilogy has ensnared me in cerebremancer(sojourner) and mystic theurge(rivalen) can a char(wizard) achieve all three??(with archmage of course)

Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  13:01:07  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
A person's sexuality doesn't bother me - the gov't/church having say over people's lives bothers me tremendously.

Having an opinion/belief is a FAR cry from telling someone how to live their lives. Just more scare tactics. By your definition, if you happen to disagree w/ beastiality, then you're telling others how to live their lives, and that's WRONG!

If others on this thread are allowed to voice their opinions in support of the topic, I'm certainly allowed to voice my opinion against it. You know, free speech and all . . .
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  14:58:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Saying "something bothers me" is a FAR CRY from saying other folks can't have their opinions. Hell - I change my opinions on stuff on a daily basis.

I'm a anarchist at heart; I truly feel that no-one should ever be allowed to tell others how to live. Unfortunately, we have not evolved as a species far-enough for Anarchy to be a viable option. We are too prone to hurt one another.

I remember reading about this really cool guy - he said something about 'casting stones' - great fella.

Anyhow, I would just as strongly defend your right to have your opinion and say how you feel as I would someone with the opposite opinions. Unfortunately, an internet forum is NOT a public forum, and 'Free Speech' is tempered by the rules.

And as for the current topic-discussion: Nobility (and Royalty) were like the 'rock stars' of medieval times, and if you carry that analogy forward I am sure MANY of them were homosexual, or at the very least bisexual, which they probably kept fairly private (most of them, anyway).

I have my own RW opinions as to why so many famous-types gravitate toward that behavior - if you can have anything you want, you will still want whatever you are not supposed to have. 'Forbidden fruit', and all of that. It makes sense with modern entertainers, and it certainly would have made sense with the nobility.

So I think that in the Realms, 'gay marriage' would exist, but be rare, in most cases - especially where a question of inheritance would arise - a gay or bisexual individual would still have a 'normal' marriage just for political/business reasons. Remember, MOST marriages were arranged before last century - marriage was a tool, just like any other. Mixing 'Love' with marriage is a fairly modern concept.

EDIT: And once again, a thread on these forums has gotten me thinking about a really cool culture-concept for my own HB world. This is why I doubt I will ever be able to walk away from the Realms - the community it engenders are deep-thinkers.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 May 2011 15:02:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000