Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New Excel Based Random NPC generator
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  03:14:57  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm no excel expert and if you unhide the tabs you can see why!!! (you can also mess with feats and skills)
It is still a work in progress to some extent.
But i'm really pleased with this instant NPC generator made in Excel 2007 using d&d 3.5 rules.
The background generator from Herobuilders Handbook is in there too on the 'background' tab.
It generates 10 male and 10 female NPCs in a single key stroke complete with names, skills, appearance, personality, stats and feats etc.
As a note, I've messed with the NPC class skills a little bit (for example; allowing bluff and diplomacy for courtesans as class skills even though they are commoners) so it suits my campaign better.
The feats automatically adjust the skills, saves etc.
I'm pretty proud of the random name generation as it is region correct and the elven names have the common translation next to them (i've used Tolkiens Seldarine where I could not find Faerunian elven.
Anyway, it might be helpful even if used as just a name generator.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n8p8jcjm388dnvf

Edited by - chamber101 on 12 May 2011 15:46:33

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  07:05:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You can find an extensive list of Faerūnian Elven names here, and an updated list in my Elves of Faerūn (how many new names EoF has, as compared to my listing that's hosted here, I don't even remember anymore, though).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  14:37:02  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice...
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  17:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks cool! Sadly, my version of excel is slightly older and can't seem to run it even with file conversion. But kudos for putting something like this together!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  17:59:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which Edition?
Though even as a name generator it likely could be used by any.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  00:23:16  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its on excel 2007, i saved it in 'compatibility mode' so as far as i am aware it should work ok on older versions (if i understand it correctly)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  00:54:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chamber101

its on excel 2007, i saved it in 'compatibility mode' so as far as i am aware it should work ok on older versions (if i understand it correctly)

Well I was asking about D&D version, not spread sheet version.

Oh my security settings does not allow me to view or download.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  02:39:08  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do I use this?

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  02:58:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AleksanderTheGreat

How do I use this?

Well without seeing it, it is likely auto calculate is default.

If so, entering any number should provide output.

If my inference is correct there should be a spot already set to enter data. It might today's date or some other thing like that.
As it is reported to be designed it will generate 20 NPCS, however it is possible that to get recalculate change number of NPCs desired.

You managed to get it, if you do not see enter something here, try entering a number in any use used cell.

Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  03:35:10  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You misnderstood me. I'm asking "how do I make it work". Because I don't know how. I've tried to open it with Safari, nothing. I've tried OpenOffice, nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  03:48:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AleksanderTheGreat

You misnderstood me. I'm asking "how do I make it work". Because I don't know how. I've tried to open it with Safari, nothing. I've tried OpenOffice, nothing.

Oh, it is Excel, you might need to update OpenOffice in order to be compatible with the 2007 version. It is website hosted for down load so it would appear no browser can open it unless you have a plug-in for that type of operation.
You need to download, then use application that can open the file. Clearly having Excel 2007 or better should works best. Of course down load if you got that far might have offered corrupted file. Caution should be used with any download.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  07:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't seem to like Excel 2003. But it does work fine in Open Office. Sweet!

To make it work with older editions of Excel, you might try saving it as an .xls file or as compatible with Excel 97 format possibly.

However, Open Office is a free software suite. So anyone who wants to run the .xlsx version you have put up can simply download and run Open Office and it should run just fine.

Very nifty, great job!
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  08:32:49  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And which file should I load up? I'm trying to use OpenOffice but so far no luck.

Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  14:49:27  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the comments, it is d&d 3.5
as for entering your own data, i have provided race select and class select on the tab called 'gen tables'
there are no data input cells for you to overtype or override, the idea of the table was to quickly generate a bunch of commoners with npc classes to populate a city street or a village or just wandering around.
sometimes it comes up with odd/interesting combinations such as elven stonemasons and dwarven loggers!
the random generation is done using =index and =randbetween command formula and a lot of =lookup commands.
the charts that the spreadsheet uses is heavilly weighed towards chondathan humans (due to my campaigns location) though if you uncover column AU on the 'gentable' tab, you can change the weight of the list towards whatever race you like by manually entering them onto the list increasing or decreasing the odds of that race being picked at random (or just use the pull down override on the 'gentables' tab).
basically have a poke about but avoid typing over any formula (check the cell first) unless you know what you are doing.
the background generator tab is taken straight from herobuilders handbook (3.5)
Anyway, have now saved it as 2003 excel version, hope that works on older versions.

also you might find these useful (again 2007 excel)
weapon/armour hardness and hp calculator: http://www.mediafire.com/?p2gzsoys9l198d2
scroll/potion shop stock generator: http://www.mediafire.com/?gbq6oc4dqoih2bp

Edited by - chamber101 on 03 May 2011 14:47:21
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  14:56:51  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh by the way, any questions, mistakes, requests about whats in there, just ask. I am no excel expert but i will do my best.
thats partly why i left the sheet unlocked so you can have a mess with it.
the statistics for each npc is randomly generated using 4d6 dropping the lowest with the exception being the adept always has a minimum of 11 wisdom so he can cast spells! (i prefer random stats as opposed to using arrays as it sometimes generates some really exceptional characters)
Each class has an automatic feat progression that you can change starting in cell GZ:123 on the 'npcs' tab

Edited by - chamber101 on 19 Apr 2011 15:22:36
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  08:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate you linking to a 2003 version.
However, when I tried the Excel 2003 file, Excel still doesn't seem to like that version. Maybe due to it being an .xml file? Is there any way you could save it as an .xls file in 2003 format?

When I try to open the .xml file I get an error message stating "problems came up in the following areas during load:
workbook setting
table
A log file has been created listing the load warnings. The file has been saved to the following location" and then it gives a location in my temporary internet files.

I have tried a few different things, but I can't seem to trouble shoot it. An .xls format might solve it. However, if you can't that's okay. It did open fine for me in Open Office, so I can use scalc to open the original file.

Incidentally, scalc doesn't seem to like the 2003 xml file either, Open Office freezes up when trying to open the .xml file. But it still opens the original .xlsx file just fine.

Thanks for your hard work!
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  15:36:23  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, cant seem to get it to save in anything that works!
have no idea what a 'binary worksheet' is but saved it as one of them to see if that works!

Edited by - chamber101 on 05 May 2011 00:29:33
Go to Top of Page

myorke
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  18:24:14  Show Profile  Visit myorke's Homepage Send myorke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great! The 2007 version works fine on my Excel2007. Hoping it's as quick on my openoffice version on my laptop. I see many new people in my campaign's home city...
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  00:55:49  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, just been reading Empires of The Shining Sea and have now adjusted the spreadsheet so Calishite names have the correct format and gender reference.
Just a little tweak.

Edited by - chamber101 on 05 May 2011 00:30:22
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  16:37:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, now you have to up it a notch and integrate it with the "Building Cities" rules in DMG to generate an entire town.

<.<
>.>

What? I did it! And if it looked better than a mass of code, I'd share.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  19:58:20  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

See, now you have to up it a notch and integrate it with the "Building Cities" rules in DMG to generate an entire town.

<.<
>.>

What? I did it! And if it looked better than a mass of code, I'd share.

Well now you just HAVE to share!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  21:27:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let me clean it up a bit first. It's currently got a strange hodge-podge of stuff going on since I was using it to design my homebrew world and it was before a lot of updates to the Pathfinder system came out.

Let me see what I need to do and I'll let you know when I might be able to make it available.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  00:25:53  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sounds great!
mine is still a work in progress - it keeps growing as i figure out how to add more stuff!
as i said, I am a total beginner on excel and if you uncover the hidden cells it is a total mess, but the end result is pretty good i think :)
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  01:42:29  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added racial abilities and special qualities and refined the name generator, particulary the elven names with some input from Lord Karsus's Elves of Faerun.

Edited by - chamber101 on 10 May 2011 01:43:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000