Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The death of Shar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  01:29:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it'd be kinda funny if Lathander/Amaunator killed her! (light/sun defeats darkness/night)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  03:07:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm reassessing my thoughts about who "should" kill Shar...It's kinda obvious that one gets killed by his/her arch-nemesis. Hence, Mystra, Selune, Mask, and possibly Lathender make "ideal" slayers of the bi*** goddess. But it's too obvious. To treat people with a little surprise, why not "assign" some deity who appears to be apathetic to Shar and all her scheming but is in fact building her/his strength and resources to kill and subsume her. Though admittedly I can't think of a likely candidate at the moment.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  15:48:47  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK well thanks for everyones input. This i what has transpired and what I have decided to run in my campaign.
Remember, I wanted a "Realms Shaking Event" and this is what they are getting...
Using a macguffin called The Tome of Whispers that had been stolen from Cyric by a crusade of Helmites (which tied in with another plot line i ran a few years back)the PCs have 'ended' Shar.
In the build up to the event, there were strange portents and omens seen by followers of both Shar and Mystra and many followers of Shar gathering at Silverymoon at The Body of Shar, but not knowing why.
When the event occured, Selune claimed Night, Cyric took Secrets and Mask took Darkness.
Midnight fell back to Toril in her mortal form as she absorbed the Shadowweave and Mystryl has now been reborn.
Shars remaining portfolios are now the subject of a multi fronted holy war where the churches of Lolth, Jergal, Mask, Bane, Selune, Talona, Savras, Loviatar and possibly a rejuvenated Ibrandul (now that the portfolio Caverns is unclaimed) are all claiming her remnants and are to clash in an event that when the ashes cool and the dust settles, shall be forever remembered as The War of Broken Shadows. The churches of Torm, Helm, Lathander etc of course will not just stand by and watch the cities burn and will be forced to act as the world goes to hell in an handbasket around them.
There is going to be a serious death toll! This is Apocolyptic stuff that will forever change the face of my realms.
There are some other side effects that I may or may not play into depending on the players actions including;
The chosen are dying as they are no longer needed by Mystryl.
It is rumoured that Cyric allowed the Tome of Whispers to be stolen knowing that it would end with the death of Shar.
Midnight is now a mortal with no memory of what happened since Mount Waterdeep.
As a side effect of absorbing the Shadowweave and reaserting herself as the Lady of Mysteries, Mystryl has gone slightly mad and all magic for the time being is wild magic and subject to surges (causing many to beleive that a new Time of Troubles is about to occur!).
Cyric and Mask have tentatively allied themselves and are masquerading as Shar granting her followers spells.
According to the Leaves of One Night, this year (my campaign year is 1373) is known as The Year of Madness and the year before as The Year of Darkness Returns.
It is no longer a prerequisite to be a follower of Shar to learn the Shadowweave and as mages learn of this new development, it leads many spell casters onto a path of darkness as they turn to this now open form of magic that was formerly a mystery to non Sharrans.
Both Mystryl and Selunes Church become somewhat darker as they absorb aspects of their sister. Mystryl actually reverts to her old Chaotic Neutral alignment as she was before the fall.
Mystryl used to own the portfolios of wizards, spellcasters, creativity, knowledge, invention, song, time and spring which are now portfolios of Lathander, Azuth, Milil, Labelas and Ohgma so she may have an 'interest' in reclaiming these portfolios.
I have already gone through and made notes of major temples locations and where these holy wars will initially spark off so I wouldnt recommend being anywhere near Waterdeep, Calimport, Voonlar etc for the forseeable future!
I have a lot of work to do obviously but i think this will be an era in my campaign that the players will remember for quite some time!

Edited by - chamber101 on 02 May 2011 15:57:00
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  20:18:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it! well, everything except for the Chosen dying. Shouldn't Mystryl still keep them around just in case? Maybe she could decide that some of them are still useful. That's just a minor thing, though- the rest sound great! (And you might even get Eilistraee involved, fighting over the caverns portfolio with Lolth and Ibrandul! Not her usual style, I know, but if she thought it would help her gain some followers.... *shrugs*)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Thente Thunderspells
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  21:02:27  Show Profile Send Thente Thunderspells a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm reassessing my thoughts about who "should" kill Shar...It's kinda obvious that one gets killed by his/her arch-nemesis. Hence, Mystra, Selune, Mask, and possibly Lathender make "ideal" slayers of the bi*** goddess. But it's too obvious. To treat people with a little surprise, why not "assign" some deity who appears to be apathetic to Shar and all her scheming but is in fact building her/his strength and resources to kill and subsume her. Though admittedly I can't think of a likely candidate at the moment.

Leira! who's not dead at all and has only been playing dead...Best Illusion she ever pulled was making the world think she didn't exist.

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  02:22:18  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I like it! well, everything except for the Chosen dying. Shouldn't Mystryl still keep them around just in case? Maybe she could decide that some of them are still useful.

Thanks.
Yeah, I considered Eilistraee also being involved but it is such a royal rumble as it is at the moment!
I am looking forward to introducing some major players and memorable NPCs and orchestrators of this war from the aforementioned involved churches. I'm going to concentrate on each god/religion in turn (kind of like individual volumes in a series) and their involvement in the war and the way the PCs get tangled up with them! Particulary as one of the PCs is very high up in the Tempuran church and another is a Mystran Paladin who is roleplaying some awesome faith doubt issues as he was the one that ultimately used the Tome of Whispers and caused the whole situation. He was surprised to say the least...
He sees a lot of burning villages in his dreams at the moment.

As far as killing off chosen goes, it was a hard decision. I figured that Mystryl no longer needs them (or is not allowed them anymore!) and has so released them from their obligations - she has become a somewhat more distant god now (They way I saw it is that they are/were fragments of Mystras power and with her changing, they are no longer sustained by her power so age begins to catch them up).
There is an idea I am toying with where Midnight gives her life later on to save one of them (probably Elminster). I plan on making her an NPC companion of the PCs as they wade through these dark times.
The chosen will slowly pass to Dweomerheart over the coming year. This will have some serious emotional impact on my players as they have gotten close with Alustriel and Khelben over the last few years!
This whole campaign arc is the big dip in the middle that you get in any good story before the heroes rise and hope returns in the third reel!

Edited by - chamber101 on 03 May 2011 02:28:01
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  03:53:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thente Thunderspells

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Leira! who's not dead at all and has only been playing dead...Best Illusion she ever pulled was making the world think she didn't exist.

Perhaps. But not alone.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000