Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pool of Radiance Tactics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  19:12:45  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I consider PoR a great module, that needs a little work. There are many threads dealing with it.

However one aspect has not been dealt with afaik. That is warfare tactics.
Personally I did civilian services in my country, so I'm not a big help

So for this scroll army veterans and wargame experts are needed

Look, there are hundreds of humanoids fighting against humans in the same city. I think it is safe to say that the humanoid (powered up by ancient intelligent being) will not wait, until the humans cleared one block after the other. So here are my questions. I hope this discussion helps to improve the module by giving it an authentic war feeling.

I) The slums are the buffer zone between civilized Phlan and the monster infected ruins. How would two partys in such a zone fight each other? Is it guerilla fighting? What would the Defenders of Phlan do to protect the wall? What would the humanoids do to conquer the Civilized part of the city? What exact tactics do you think would be used? What role does the army of Phlan defenders play, and what is left for the players to do?

II)If you were general T. how would you plan a big assult on the humans, and what other tactics would you use to weaken your enemies?

III) What battles can you imagine outside of the city?

IV) When you look at the map, castle Valjevo is only protected by a wall and the poison river. But what would keep some clever pcs to get to the back side of the castle and enter it, instead of bashing through the blocks. In the original module, there is no word of aerial defence. What defenses can you think of.

V) Any experiences you might share from your skirmishes?

Thanks!!

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  19:53:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drawing from some medieval war knowledge, bio-chemical warfare was used even then, catapulting the diseased bodies of people into the protected areas to further infection. With the aid of magical diseases and the like, I think the same could be applied here.

Additionally, cutting off any supplies going into the city from outside resources is a must to starve your enemy. Unless the citizans of Phlan are growing all their own food to supply themselves (and I'd rather think they couldn't), then their using outside producers. This is probably farms in and around the outer area or probably 15 - 20 miles in the vacinity of Phlan. So sacking the farms, stealing the crops or burning them would limit how much of the standing army they could feed.

Also, air superiority is a must even in the age of Faerűn. So any sort of winged creatures (be they dragons, demons, pegasi) to do scouting and bombing runs can add another element to your game.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  08:35:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh ... Matt James and Brian James (whom I suspect have a little military background) did Monuments of the Ancients, a sort of PoR revisit thing. Very popular and very well received, though I haven't actually read it yet myself.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  08:52:06  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Heh ... Matt James and Brian James (whom I suspect have a little military background) did Monuments of the Ancients, a sort of PoR revisit thing. Very popular and very well received, though I haven't actually read it yet myself.

Yes. But this adventure is set in 4E Phlan, which is already cleared of nonhuman monsters. No bit of information there. But I know, that they are experts on the topic, so maybe..

Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  08:55:49  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Drawing from some medieval war knowledge, bio-chemical warfare was used even then, catapulting the diseased bodies of people into the protected areas to further infection. With the aid of magical diseases and the like, I think the same could be applied here.

That's evil!!

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
Additionally, cutting off any supplies going into the city from outside resources is a must to starve your enemy. Unless the citizans of Phlan are growing all their own food to supply themselves (and I'd rather think they couldn't), then their using outside producers. This is probably farms in and around the outer area or probably 15 - 20 miles in the vacinity of Phlan. So sacking the farms, stealing the crops or burning them would limit how much of the standing army they could feed.

Given that the poison river makes it impossible to grow some crops this is also a very good idea!!
The Phlanians (or Phlans) must get the supplies from afar or as you said cultivate land that is also out of the reach of local militia.
Nice!!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  19:08:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure Tyranthraxus really acts like much of a general ... he has objectives and is very intelligent, but he's also a ruthless tyrant who views everybody around him as a disposable resource. He doesn't really think in terms of logistics, except insofar as it ensures his immediate survival/power. I think he'd leave military matters to his most competent underlings and punish/destroy those who fail him.

I think an important element in Realms biowarfare would be targeting enemy priests ... it's no good infecting populations when priests can cure disease on them. So the usual dirty blankets would be used, but also a few assassins/mercs. Good-aligned/curative priests have to operate openly and are easily flustered by hostage situations.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  19:51:42  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure Tyranthraxus really acts like much of a general ...

Actually he is a powerful epic/mystic general:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tyranthraxus
Of course he has his eyes and hands, because he would not leave his lair where he guards the pool.
In the end these eyes and hands will fail him. But up to this point I would like to be him a genius mastermind with regards to warfare

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  15:15:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think an important element in Realms biowarfare would be targeting enemy priests ... it's no good infecting populations when priests can cure disease on them. So the usual dirty blankets would be used, but also a few assassins/mercs. Good-aligned/curative priests have to operate openly and are easily flustered by hostage situations.

True, but how many priests in the city have access to that spell (level wise) and how many of them have prepared that spell per day? Unless you have 20-30 priests using 2 or 3 slots for that spell then it's a non-issue. If you only have a handful of priests able to cast that spell, your only going to cure a handful of people per day. Let the disease spread, infecting 10, 20, or 30 people a week and you've got an epidemic that no amount of Cure Disease will be able to mend.

For an example, take the Wailing Sickness disease from the Nevewinter Night's campaign. That disease wiped out a good portion of Neverwinter with all their curitive magics and all.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  19:34:08  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really just Bishop Bracchio.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  22:27:03  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Really just Bishop Bracchio.

If we stick with the 1st edition module & not use any of expanded material (Novels, Goldbox) or NPC’s personally created by the DM.

Bishop Braccio (??? Lvl, has two minor priest working under him), Anton 10th level, Jade 5th level, Dirtan 5th level, Silvanestri 7th level, and Doral 7th level.

What spell level was cure disease in 1st edition?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  04:38:21  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No idea how I forgot about the theme-named npc gallery. For me, Anton get's nixed right away, though.

Having sat down and done my best to reconcile computer game, novel, and adventure I can tell you this ...

When they went to write the adventure, someone probably took the novel and tossed it into a blender, or spilled something on it, or let their dog chew on it for awhile.

Anton, who happens to be a cleric, is one of the clerics traveling from Vaasa with Tarl Desanae. He is the only other survivor, but spends the entire novel in some sort of coma. He gets better shortly after and he's out and about in Pools of Darkness.

Off the top of my head, cure disease has to be in the 2nd-3rd level range, because it's certainly not first, and I think break enchantment has always been 4th.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000