Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Famous musicians in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:35:56  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for prominent bards, minstrels and music bands that are well known in Faerun or at least in their home realms. I would like to know in particular about people who did or are still doing something great apart from creating beatiful music. Maybe charity? Tutoring future kings/queens (if it's a scholarly Bard)? Preserving old pieces for future generations?

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember The Pirate King mentioning a bard in an early chapter when a Waterdeep noble was gathering "famous and powerful heroes" from the area. I don't know if the character(along with a paladin also mentioned) was a pre-existing npc or an original creation by RAS.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  09:41:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several have been referenced in the Realmslore. I'll need to retrieve them from my files, before posting further on this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  10:53:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Isn't there already a thread like this? Or is it Musical Intruments?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:35:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Two that immediately come to mind are Storm Silverhand, and Danillo Thann. In Danillo's case, he's famous to us, but he's not particularly famous in the world of Faerūn at large. Storm, moreso, but the entire concept of "celebrity" or whatnot is going to be a lot more localized in nature there than it is here, with travel and communication a lot more limited.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:44:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, PHBR7: Complete Bard's Handbook describes a rules system governing a bard's reputation ... it's a dynamic thing which requires constant work (ie: quantity and quality of live performances) by the bard, it's actually quite easy to become "famous" in your local towns, but it becomes difficult to spread and grow your repute much beyond that. Danilo and Storm also divide their efforts into adventure, politics, and other activities; they don't dedicate every action of every moment towards stoking their bardic careers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canonically, it hasn't really been established exactly how famous Danilo is, but I know I at least have had characters in 1479-1480 that quote him like Robert Browning. In the 4e FR era, his work is at least *known* among the educated/literary.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:53:07  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Canonically, it hasn't really been established exactly how famous Danilo is, but I know I at least have had characters in 1479-1480 that quote him like Robert Browning. In the 4e FR era, his work is at least *known* among the educated/literary.

Cheers

Just curious, sir... You mean characters in your novels or characters in play sessions of your own?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  20:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:

Just curious, sir... You mean characters in your novels or characters in play sessions of your own?
Both, actually.

The great Elaine Cunningham actually wrote several lines of Danilo Thann poetry for me for my novel Downshadow, just to be sure they're in the bard's proper voice, and they went in as written.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  23:32:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Me knowing the songs and lyrics of local indie band, and them selling out their local bar gigs doesn't translate into their mainstream success. Not saying that he isn't the Shakespeare of the 4e Forgotten Realms, but. And, again, I'd contend that the concept of 'celebrity' and 'fame' are a hell of a lot different than they are here, today, making it harder for anybody- be they Danillo or Elminster himself- to be considered widely famous. Before we had all those quick and easy communication and copying methods, people we'd consider famous, like writers, philosophers, whoever else, were a lot more specifically local in their fame, or only particularly known within their field.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  02:01:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've thought about this somewhat, given my own proclivity with Realms music. And, basically, it amounts to something like this:-

The lack of a true and dedicated Faerun-wide communication network makes communication [and, by extension, the concept of "fame and celebrity" about individuals] between cities, and regions for that matter, difficult... though not impossible.

Bards can ferry the music of other minstrels, just like news, between their various stopover points, from various points of interest.

We shouldn't forget merchants and adventurers either. While not always as "reliable" as a music-carrying bard, merchants and adventurers from foreign lands are often easily able to access different cities and places around the Realms, making the communication of music fairly easy along well-travelled trading routes, simply by whistling a tune they heard elsewhere. And visiting more remote regions, that don't often attract a lot of trade for example, may mean paying a few extra gold pieces to make it worth the merchant's effort to carry the music to the desired remote destination.

And it's important not to make blanket statements about the Realms regarding what people "know" and what their "opinions" may be about a particular aspect of the setting. Diversity and intimate subtleties give the FR setting so much more depth, and allows plenty of options for intriguing and unusual campaigns.

Thus, your common Realms folk may not know of or about such beings of great musical ability -- either by name, reputation, or what your grandmother said she once heard. It's important to remember also that anything individuals *do* learn about popular musicians and their music is likely almost entirely based on other bards tales, rhymes, or just fanciful speculations for example, which largely form the basis of most of the "public" knowledge regarding any famous personages of the Realms. Not intimate details, and certainly nothing specific, just rumour, hearsay, and idle speculation in the local tavern on a cold and wintry night.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  02:20:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could a catchy little tune be used to signal allies or convey orders to troops scattered across the land? I wonder if bards might unknowingly be mobilizing Zhent guerillas throughout Cormyr or instructing Red Wizards to report to Szass Tam (lol, perhaps through sending prearranged song-signals of their own). This could even lead to a musical cold war, exciting stuff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000