Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Weird Reading Habits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  02:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I tend to read while curled up in a chair and I have to have music or some kind of noise on. It doesn't matter if it's the TV or radio or other people talking.

I usually have music on when I read; but then again, I usually have music on just about any time other than when I'm trying to sleep or when I'm watching TV. And at work, unfortunately -- working in an inbound call center does not encourage listening to tunes, and the fact that it's officially forbidden also fails to encourage it.

I don't like listening to vocal music when I'm reading, as I find it distracting... likely because I'll end up just singing along. Which is kinda strange, I suppose, because I can read whilst sitting amongst crowds and people chatting.

For musical accompaniment while reading, though, it has to be either classical/baroque, or something I've composed.

I blame days at school where I would have to write a papers on various films. I would simultaneously scan through essays for something useful while watching the film under consideration. I call it "multi-slacking" now.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  03:09:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! Another veteran of that school of study. I used to do the same thing.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  03:10:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I once surprised a coworker doing something similar to that: he hollered something at me while I was flirting with a waitress. When I didn't acknowledge him, he asked me if I'd heard him -- at which point, I quoted back what he said, and then continued right on with the flirting. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him staring in shock at one of the other kitchen guys, and asking how I just did that!

Hmmm. I must learn to acquire a few ranks in this Skill.
quote:

I blame days at school where I would have to write a papers on various films. I would simultaneously scan through essays for something useful while watching the film under consideration. I call it "multi-slacking" now.

"Multi-slacking," eh? I like that.

Interestingly, I've noticed my reading practices have changed, slightly, depending on which computer I'm using. For example, back in the 80's, when Commodore was king, the extensive loading times for some games and/or programs would actually leave me enough opportunity to quickly work through a chapter or section of whatever I was reading at the time.

Now, of course, with faster machines, there's almost never an opportunity to indulge in that archaic trend. Though, I do tend to fire up my old Commodore machines from time to time, and not only because of nostalgic memories about old games I've loved, but, also, because I want to go back to enjoying reading between loading times.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  04:09:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If there's anything in my reading habit that changed most significantly, it's my level of tolerance. Before, I could endure several boring pages so long as I got the occasional interesting ones. But now, if the dragging, boring chapters OUTNUMBER their better counterparts, I would immediately stop. I can't waste as much time as I could before, nor afford to inflict myself with the vicious lashes and constricting pang of boredom. You can say I've become a wiser reader, albeit a darn impatient one.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  06:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to have that problem... then I starting applying the Mystery Science Theater 3000 school of criticism. If I can't enjoy it, make fun of it.

I do have my limits though.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  06:33:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I did try to make fun of them. But my 'limits' are not high. Which is strange. People say patience comes with age. It seems the opposite to me. As years roll on, my patience grows slimmer.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  07:00:03  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Patience? Aren't those what doctors have? LOL!! Never had much use for patience, myself. With VERY few exceptions. If it is something I am narrowly focused on- and enjoy- I am as patient as Job, but for everything else- I just want to get ON with it.

Erm, anywho, I always give a book at least until the second or third chapter to catch my interest. After that, I just abandon it as a lost cause. Have rarely had to do that, but the few times I have, were either VERY bad, or I just could not get into them no matter how "good" they were. LotR was like that for me. LOVED the movies. Could NOT finish even the first book. A "bad" one that I recall was some space tale by Piers Anthony called Caterpillar. I love most of his books, but that one just put me into a coma....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  13:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually have 2-3 books underway at the same time. After reading a chapter or two of one book, I'll set it aside and read a few chapters in the next. Once I finish a book, I just add the next one into the cycle.

For example, I and currently 2 chapters into Calahan's Crosstime Saloon, 6 chapters into Sharpes Gold, and just about to finish the novel version of Keep on the Borderlands. Waiting on deck is Admiral Hornblower and the West Indies.

I'm not sure why I read this way, or how I maintain continuity in my head, but I do. I think my brains wired backward or something.

Edited by - Halidan on 09 Feb 2011 15:56:42
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  13:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PDFs I like to read on my iPhone (it's how I am going through the Candlkeep Compendiums at the moment)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  15:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I did try to make fun of them. But my 'limits' are not high. Which is strange. People say patience comes with age. It seems the opposite to me. As years roll on, my patience grows slimmer.

I've noticed that my patience varies pretty wildly according to subgenre. I've gotten through some really dull epic fantasy before, but urban fantasy has maybe two chapters to grab me before I drop it and don't pick it up again.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  22:36:31  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very selective when I choose a book to start reading because I find that once I start a book, I can't not read it. No matter how big a snoozefest the book is, I have to finish it at some point or it bugs me.

As for patience, I find as I get older I have less patience. I think it's not only because I have more to do, but I know that I have less time to waste on crap... So I just get it over with and then concentrate on things I enjoy.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  00:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I often read several books at once. Not all in the same sitting, but I'll start one, get into it a bit, and then perhaps start another the next time I sit down to read, so that Iusually got at least two or three books all at different stages of completion at once- that way if I get temporarily bored with one, I can take a break from it and read a bit of the next one until I'm ready to go back to the first. I also like to eat while I read. Don't know if any of that is weird.

Same here . I've also developed a bad habit of applying theories I learned at school to the books I read (and any movie, serie or commercial I see).
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  01:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

I often read several books at once. Not all in the same sitting, but I'll start one, get into it a bit, and then perhaps start another the next time I sit down to read, so that Iusually got at least two or three books all at different stages of completion at once- that way if I get temporarily bored with one, I can take a break from it and read a bit of the next one until I'm ready to go back to the first. I also like to eat while I read. Don't know if any of that is weird.

Same here . I've also developed a bad habit of applying theories I learned at school to the books I read (and any movie, serie or commercial I see).

If that's a bad habit to have, I don't want any good ones.

I've noticed that applying critical theory to popular works is usually the most annoying to those who only want to talk about how awesome something is.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  03:38:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

If that's a bad habit to have, I don't want any good ones.

I've noticed that applying critical theory to popular works is usually the most annoying to those who only want to talk about how awesome something is.

Applying literary theories can be fun, depending on what particular theory you use for a certain book. As for me, I favor formalism and deconstructionism for almost all genres.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  03:47:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've noticed that my patience varies pretty wildly according to subgenre. I've gotten through some really dull epic fantasy before, but urban fantasy has maybe two chapters to grab me before I drop it and don't pick it up again.

I used to read a lot of urban fantasy books, more than I did the classical ones. But I often found it too 'limiting' as far as setting is concerned. Now, I only read classical fantasy; though my doors are not yet closed for urban. I once tried Dresden Files. However, I was (and still am) never into mystery.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  04:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I used to read a lot of urban fantasy books, more than I did the classical ones. But I often found it too 'limiting' as far as setting is concerned. Now, I only read classical fantasy; though my doors are not yet closed for urban. I once tried Dresden Files. However, I was (and still am) never into mystery.

Urban fantasy is like mystery? Umm... well.. not really. It seems that the vast eye gouging majority of what gets billed as "urban fantasy" these days are rejects from the romance section. The romance section at least has some standards. I know I could grouse about this for a while but I don't think this is the place for it.

Out of curiosity though, how are you defining "classical fantasy"?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  04:37:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Urban fantasy is like mystery? Umm... well.. not really. It seems that the vast eye gouging majority of what gets billed as "urban fantasy" these days are rejects from the romance section. The romance section at least has some standards. I know I could grouse about this for a while but I don't think this is the place for it.

Out of curiosity though, how are you defining "classical fantasy"?

No, I didn't mean urban fantasy to be mystery. DF is just an example. I also read romance urban fantasy, like MaryJanice Davidson's Betty (the bitchy but funny vampire) series.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  05:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm asking because depending on how you define the subgenre some of Neil Gaiman's work would qualify as "urban fantasy" (Neverwhere springs to mind). I've been noticing that some authors like Neil Gaiman, China Mieville and Charles de Lint (among others) seem to be marketed as "modern fantasy" to attempt to distance themselves from what is generally marketed as "urban fantasy" these days.

Edited by - Lady Fellshot on 09 Feb 2011 05:32:24
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  05:49:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

To borrow Wiki's definition, Urban Fantasy is "a subset of contemporary fantasy, consisting of magical novels and stories set in contemporary, real-world, urban settings..."

Note, Lady Fellshot, the prerequisite: real-world city. Neverwhere was set in London (a real city). Even though the London in that book is somewhat a twisted shadow of the real London, it's still based on the real-world city. Hence, it is considered urban fantasy.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  07:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did mention that I was speaking terms of marketing, did I not? Although... I think I will be slightly snobbish and consider some of these books "modern" or "contemporary" fantasy after the art period. That and I'm halfway convinced that an uncomfortably large amount of what gets labeled "urban fantasy" might give one an unpleasant venereal disease. Also there are some pretty stark stylistic and thematic differences going on as well.

Coincidentally, Dracula when it was published would have been considered "urban fantasy."

But I seem to recall asking about what you were defining as "classical" fantasy. Would I be calling it "epic" or "swords/sorcery" fantasy?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  09:07:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Classical fantasy is a combination of two subgenres: high fantasy and sword and sorcery. It is preponderated by its medievalist form, which traced back to Tolkien's works.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  11:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding reading multiple books at once, I can't do it if its the same genre. I can juggle a fantasy novel, an FR sourcebook, a comic book, and the newspaper (not all in one sitting mind you). But I could never read (for example) a few chapters of Homeland and switch over to a few of Elminster in Myth Drannor, switching back and forth. My brain would tell me to stop.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  13:57:37  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Classical fantasy is a combination of two subgenres: high fantasy and sword and sorcery. It is preponderated by its medievalist form, which traced back to Tolkien's works.

Ah. I would say that there's a little more to it than the medieval stasis it seems to frequently find itself in, but Thank you for answering.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  14:32:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more recent fashion in fantasy moves from "Tolkien" Medieval to early Renaissance settings. Ancient and post-Renaissance settings are also popular, but tend to involve historical (or pseudo-historical) emphasis which is slightly too cerebral (or weird) for mainstream consumption. Sword & Sorcery is always a core element, but seems to be evolving towards more Manga- and Steampunk-inspired content. The workings of gods, gunpowder, machines, and more modernized scientific thinking are gradually seeping into and dominating fantasy worlds. D&D is in many ways a better benchmark than Tolkien, because it captures the same audience and inspires the same writers, yet unlike Middle Earth it continuously adapts to contemporary fantasy expectations.

I suspect the future of fantasy will look a lot like a hybrid between World of Warcraft and Hollywood mutant/horror/supernatural sci-fi because of their profound influence on today's audience (and tomorrow's writers). Nobody bothers to write (or buy) books from dead genres; Tolkien's books are immortalized classics, but who among us has read anything written by Tolkein's fantasy contemporaries? More importantly, how many of these books can be found on the shelves of stores and libraries?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 09 Feb 2011 15:51:33
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  15:19:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

<snip> but who among us has read anything written by Tolkein's fantasy contemporaries? More importantly, how many of these books can be found on the shelves of stores and libraries?

You mean like Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin, Tad Williams and Terry Goodkind?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  15:52:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps my argument was generalized. I suspect the scribes of Candlekeep have more classic and eclectic tastes than the paperback population as a whole. Many have seen the Lord of the Rings movie, few have bothered to actually appreciate the longwinded books. Tolkien and Lovecraft get all the glory, while George RR Martin is merely footnoted as inspiring the Githyanki. Many of those authors published well after Tolkien's era ended.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 09 Feb 2011 15:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:13:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books right now... That's about the same timeframe as Tolkien, I believe. And I've not gotten to it yet, but I recently acquired the Henry Kuttner book about Elak of Atlantis.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:18:04  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik
I suspect the future of fantasy will look a lot like a hybrid between World of Warcraft and Hollywood mutant/horror/supernatural sci-fi because of their profound influence on today's audience (and tomorrow's writers).

Unfortunately, this is probably true. Steampunk is one of those things that is really just starting to launch into the mainstream, and the novelty still impresses people. There have been a LOT of steampunk-ish movies and such in the past 10 years, and people seem to love it. Perhaps it feels nostalgic and somewhat contemporary at the same time.

quote:
Nobody bothers to write (or buy) books from dead genres; Tolkien's books are immortalized classics, but who among us has read anything written by Tolkein's fantasy contemporaries? More importantly, how many of these books can be found on the shelves of stores and libraries?

So you're saying that Robert E. Howard, H.G. Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs, C.S. Lewis and H.P. Lovecraft don't sell all that well?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 09 Feb 2011 17:20:42
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:30:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I always mess up the meaning of contemporary in discussions. When I hear it, I think "of the modern age" and not "of the same time". But Tolkien's peers when he wrote Lord of the Rings are still read and bought today: C.S. Lewis, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and Charles Williams are prime examples of this and others (such as H.G. Wells, L. Frank Baum, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, J.M. Barrie, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and A.A. Milne) were ahead of Tolkien by only a decade or so and have lasted just as long.

I do agree that the "general populace" knows these authors and their characters more by the movies and such based on the original stories, but as long as the story is told, then there will be those that seek out the original books.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 09 Feb 2011 17:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:40:33  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Okay, I always mess up the meaning of contemporary in discussions. When I hear it, I think "of the modern age" and not "of the same time". But Tolkien's peers when he wrote Lord of the Rings are still read and bought today: C.S. Lewis, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and Charles Williams are prime examples of this and others (such as H.G. Wells, L. Frank Baum, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, J.M. Barrie, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and A.A. Milne) were ahead of Tolkien by only a decade or so and have lasted just as long.

I do agree that the "general populace" knows these authors and their characters more by the movies and such based on the original stories, but as long as the story is told, then there will be those that seek out the original books.

Oooh! You get major awesomeness points for mentioning Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I seriously <3 Le Petit Prince, and I think it's probably still one of the best selling books of all time.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 09 Feb 2011 17:43:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000