Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map of Toril v/s Map of Pathfinder Inner Sea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  16:01:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I literally just opened the Pathfinder Inner Sea Campaign setting to pack it in my luggage (going on vacation), and I just thought it was really interesting to me that ROUGHLY its got a layout similar to Faerun. Granted, they have a whole other continent underneath where Halruaa would be (in this instance, their inner sea to my eye looks kind of like the coast of Halruaa, Dambrath, etc...). Where Toril has an inner sea, they have Lake Encarthan, which is less spread out. Where they have the lake of mist and veils is roughly equivalent to where Lake Ashane is. Anyway, they're probably nowhere near to same scale or anything, and probably if I did an overlay I'd see all kinds of differences. But, my first thoughts were.... hmmmm, Abeir....

Anyway, I better get back to packing. It just caught my fancy and I thought what the heck, see if anyone else had that initial reaction.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  16:26:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a link?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  17:02:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golarion

I used to have a bigger map; it may have come with my PfCG-pdf.

BTW, MOST fantasy settings have a central sea - GH had one, along with several lesser inland seas (very large lakes). I can think of dozens more - its just good world building for an RPG (more opportunities for different types of adventures).

In fact, Michael Moorcock's Young Kingdoms is the opposite of most settings - its mostly sea, with a small portion of several continents showing along the outer edges. I happen to like that layout.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2011 17:22:08
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  17:18:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Golarion

I used to have a bigger map; it may have come with my PfCG-pdf.

BTW, MOST fantasy settings have a central sea - GH had one, along with several lesser inland seas (very large lakes). I can think of dozens more - its just good world building for an RPG (more opportunities for different types of adventures).

In fact, Michael Moorcock's Young Kingdoms is the opposite of most settings - its mostly sea, with a small portion of several continents showing along the outer edges. I happen to like that layout.

Great link M. I guess it kind of resembles Toril, but there are plenty of differences to make it quasi-original too

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  17:27:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of the people who worked on - and liked - Faerūn helped develop Golarion. If you have an example of a near-perfect fantasy RPG setting, why wouldn't you use that as a starting point? Take the things people like and toss out the rest, and improve on where it needs improvement.

BTW, the shape of the Sea of Fallen Stars is very different; it doesn't look like a blob. It looks like something else.

EDIT: The better version of the map is no longer posted at the Paizo site (AFAIK), but it is included in the free map pack you can download from them - here is the link, it is down a few products on the list (the FREE one). I believe you have to be a member (which I guess was smart - now you have to sign in to get the goodies).

Linky

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2011 17:37:37
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  20:33:40  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That map is the reason I didn't switch to Golarion completely, the countries are too jumbled and unconnected for my taste
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  21:14:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep - the hap-hazard locations remind me of Greyhawk. Even the published Realms (NOT Ed's original) had more of a logical flow to it.

Not having seen Ed's original, I can't say for sure, but I am lead to believe (mostly by Ed's own lore) that it was a LOT more cohesive when he was the only captain at the helm.

And since I am studying maps again ATM, I noticed that the Realms (when viewed all together looks a lot like Earth (the Laurasian continent) during the Triassic period - Yal Tengri/the Great Ice Sea is a really good fit.

So now we have discerned that Golarion looks like Gor, and that Toril looks like Earth's Pangea.

And weirdly, that puts Shadowdale right around Ed's house.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2011 21:17:16
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  22:43:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. So it does...so it does.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  00:04:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golarion World Map...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  12:21:07  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how on the Golarion world map there's a lot of land bridges, the continents aren't so isolated

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So now we have discerned that Golarion looks like Gor, and that Toril looks like Earth's Pangea.

And weirdly, that puts Shadowdale right around Ed's house.

That's amazing
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  16:43:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It actually coincides with some of what you were trying to do in your 'Fey lands' thread (lining up locales/gates between worlds/planes).

I think that interdimensional gates may be easier to build then distance ones - note that the Imaskari had relatively few same-plane portals (that we know of) compared to the planeswalking lore we have about them. You are basically just causing an object to change is Qunatum signature, as opposed to it's position in time and space.

Anyhow, enough magitech theory...

I also love the interconnectivity of Golarion, but at the same time, I think they are missing out on some of the benefits of distancing themselves. An ocean is great logical explanation of why culture 'A' has not had any effect on culture 'B'. One of the very few things I didn't like about the FR map was that Chult was connected - even a small body of water (relatively - like the straits of Gibraltar) would have worked better, IMHO. One more thing 4e got right (for me, at least).

On the other hand, 'choke points' work nearly as well, and could actually add more to the political climate/intrigue of an RPG world. The best I ever saw like that was this map - Imagine the political clout Ankh-Bathor has; its like Panama in the RW. An entire campaign can be set in that locale.

In my world, I have Mountain ranges doing something similar, and also two really good choke-points (one of which is very similar to the Utter East... wonder why ). I like how the three main campaign areas were separated in FR, so I gave my world a similar layout (reminiscent of, not a direct copy by any means). Plus I have one 'Easter Egg' thingy built into the map (something I think Ed did as well) - if I am right about his, mine isn't nearly as cool (not as epic).

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Nov 2011 16:46:49
Go to Top of Page

Sousana
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  09:59:52  Show Profile Send Sousana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Greyhawk is very clearly set on an ancient RW map, so why not?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  17:21:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is/was?

Go to Top of Page

Sousana
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  04:11:29  Show Profile Send Sousana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. I can't provide reference, sadly, but it was discussed in Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  21:11:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just not seeing it; even mirrored, it still doesn't look much like Europe.

If its supposed to be some sort of antidiluvian America... maybe... but I still don't buy it. I'd love to know what issue of dragon it was - I had most of them. I'm going to have to research this a bit now.

EDIT: Wow... while looking for an article by Gary Gygax, I stumbled upon an article in issue #1 of The Dragon, which was about mixing scify with fantasy - talk about cross-thread pollination!

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2011 21:22:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000