Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 90s or 00s
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  21:58:25  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
just wondering what peoples thought were on which decade was better for the quality of the novels that came out.id have to give the 00s the edge.the brilliant scions of arrabar trilogy by thomas reid and the essential cities series.and the emergence of paul kemp to boot.although i do believe that the drizzt novels were far stronger in the 90s.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  22:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me both of the times had their fair share of great books and tripe. Maybe slightly less tripe in the 90's
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  22:48:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost all of my fave Realms novels came out in the 90s.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  01:07:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say. Some of my favourites came from the 80's, like Spellfire, the 90's, such as Elfshadow and Elfsong, and the 00's, which include Blackstaff, Ed's "Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy, and Erik's Depths of Madness.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  09:54:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Most of my faves are in the 00's, but I have some as well in the 90's. So a tie for me.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  14:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty even keel for me.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  15:26:50  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
90's...
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  08:09:45  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly in order it's the 80's, 90's, and the 00's for me. But I wouldn't say that the novels got worse. I think the luster and shine just slowly wears off as I get older. Plus with all of the edition madness mucking up the novels, it's kind of hard to maintain that original love I had for the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  22:40:03  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for me the novels really dipped in the late 90s.idont think they dipped that much in the 00s.i mean the harpers went on far too long and does anyone remember the truly awful nobles series.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:17:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

for me the novels really dipped in the late 90s.idont think they dipped that much in the 00s.i mean the harpers went on far too long and does anyone remember the truly awful nobles series.

I would have liked more Harpers books, myself. Granted, there were some less-than-wonderful offerings in that series, but some of my faves also come from that run.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:47:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've not read all the novels in The Nobles series. But I had fun reading The Simbul's Gift.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  00:28:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I would have liked more Harpers books, myself. Granted, there were some less-than-wonderful offerings in that series, but some of my faves also come from that run.

Actually, I've often thought that the "Harpers" novels could have naturally progressed into a series about the Harper Schism, and the eventual creation of the Moonstars. With, perhaps, a "Moonstars" novel series following later, in a similar style to the "Harpers" series.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Feb 2011 01:32:46
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  01:28:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I can't recall a Harpers novel that I like. Red Magic would have been one, had the Harpers been other than those in that book! A ridiculous centaur, a stupid druid, and a garish, annoying sorceress---what a trio! Maligor should have transmuted them into roaches.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  01:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, I liked your comment better before you corrected the typo!

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  02:33:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, about the "Monsters" series? That warranted a hearty laugh indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  04:22:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I can't recall a Harpers novel that I like. Red Magic would have been one, had the Harpers been other than those in that book! A ridiculous centaur, a stupid druid, and a garish, annoying sorceress---what a trio! Maligor should have transmuted them into roaches.

You never read Ring of Winter or Masquerade, I'm guessing. I'd mention Elaine's books, but I'm thinking you may not be that fond of elves...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  04:44:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You never read Ring of Winter or Masquerade, I'm guessing. I'd mention Elaine's books, but I'm thinking you may not be that fond of elves...

I received not a few recommendations to read Ring of Winter. I read the blurb and some reviews; I wasn't interested at all. And what's with the ridiculous talking wombats, anyway?

Oh, you're right about the elves. I guess almost all scribes here at the Keep know of my undying love for those small creatures. I tend to profess my love for them at any opportunity I've got. Just like this very moment!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  05:21:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I received not a few recommendations to read Ring of Winter. I read the blurb and some reviews; I wasn't interested at all. And what's with the ridiculous talking wombats, anyway?
Really? Ring of Winter is a particular favourite among many scribes here at Candlekeep -- myself included.

Regardless, I'd still recommend a reading of every novel published... at least once, if you're able. It's worth making your own opinions about particular novels, than basing your decision on what others have to say about them.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  05:38:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd still recommend a reading of every novel published... at least once, if you're able.

I would DIE of sheer boredom if I read ALL Drizzt novels.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  11:03:00  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i remember a magazine around the early to mid 90s that was very similar to dragon.they used to do book reviews.i remember war in tethyr getting 2 out of 10.i bought it regardless and they were generous with their score.anyone know the name of the mag.might have been uk only.

Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  19:14:00  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean White Dwarf, Swifty? That used to cover a whole range of different RPG products before it became exclusively Warhammer focused...
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  22:37:39  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrok of Halruaa

Do you mean White Dwarf, Swifty? That used to cover a whole range of different RPG products before it became exclusively Warhammer focused...

no.it no longer exists.they used to sell it in wh smith back about 94-95.only lasted a couple of years.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  22:59:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I was reading White Dwarf during that timeframe, at least off and on -- and it was solid GW content by that time.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  00:26:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I was reading White Dwarf during that timeframe, at least off and on -- and it was solid GW content by that time.

I still read White Dwarf, actually. Even though I preferred it when the magazine featured extensive gaming content, it's still a quality publication for all-things-Games Workshop.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  03:31:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I still read White Dwarf, actually. Even though I preferred it when the magazine featured extensive gaming content, it's still a quality publication for all-things-Games Workshop.

My interest in things GW dwindled a long time ago. I've still got a few of the minis and my Space Wolf Codexes, but that's about it. I actually dumped most of the minis I had and used that money/store credit to get Warmachine stuff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  04:26:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

My interest in things GW dwindled a long time ago. I've still got a few of the minis and my Space Wolf Codexes, but that's about it. I actually dumped most of the minis I had and used that money/store credit to get Warmachine stuff.

I really have to rejuvenate my interest in WARMACHINE. I don't bother with WH or WH40K as much as I used to. And by that, I mean I'm not purchasing any new miniatures. My armies for both settings are largely complete, and I'm satisfied with them. I just don't have any motivation at the moment, to start a new army -- unless a new series of Necrons are released.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  04:53:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really have to rejuvenate my interest in WARMACHINE. I don't bother with WH or WH40K as much as I used to. And by that, I mean I'm not purchasing any new miniatures. My armies for both settings are largely complete, and I'm satisfied with them. I just don't have any motivation at the moment, to start a new army -- unless a new series of Necrons are released.

So field a Cryx army. Steam-powered undead! Iron liches are, in particular, an interesting idea to me.

And then we can continue our occasional "my faction is better than yours!" sniping. At least until you admit that I'm right, just like I am with the FedSuns.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  06:04:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*in best Mod voice* Can we please get back to the topic? *snickers* Speaking of- it's hard for me to say. There were novels out of each decade that I loved, but overall, I'd have to say my favorites were from the 90's.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  06:37:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So field a Cryx army. Steam-powered undead! Iron liches are, in particular, an interesting idea to me.
Hmmmm. I've been thinking of Cryx. Or Menoth, for that matter. But as you and I have discussed elsewhere... Iron liches are indeed an attractive option!
quote:
And then we can continue our occasional "my faction is better than yours!" sniping. At least until you admit that I'm right, just like I am with the FedSuns.
Sorry friend. My respect for the Greater Humanity of the Capellan Confederation knows no bounds.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  07:02:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Caolin

Honestly in order it's the 80's, 90's, and the 00's for me. But I wouldn't say that the novels got worse. I think the luster and shine just slowly wears off as I get older. Plus with all of the edition madness mucking up the novels, it's kind of hard to maintain that original love I had for the Realms.
Right on the money. Sturgeon's Law applies as usual, in the early days much of the fiction was comparatively unsophisticated, in recent times it's oversophisticated; some novels manage to transcend the others regardless of the decade in which they're written.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  22:43:16  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall I think the quality increased in the 00's, still a couple of novels from the 90's are my favorite.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000