Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sandstorm chapter headings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  00:36:12  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Each of the sixteen chapters (and the Epilogue) of Sandstorm opens with an epigraph, usually a quote from some tome or another important in the history of Calimshan. I thought I would share those with my fellow scribes here at Candlekeep--one every couple of days--in the weeks leading up to the novel's release. This post actually has the first two, since Chapter One's was already revealed in the sample chapter.

Chapter One

In the name of the most holy Great Scrivener, I declare my tales to be true.
--Mualak yn Dulah yn Abbas

Scribe to Qysar Amahl Shoon IV

Chapter Two

"Yes, my arms are thin. It's my wits I'll use to best you!"
--"Clever Janna and the Fire Giant"

The Founding Stories of Calimshan

Printed and Bound at Calimport

The Year of the Broken Blade (1260 DR)

Cheers,

Christopher

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  12:56:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Christopher, are you gonna be the 4E Calimshan and area lorelord?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  15:48:20  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Christopher, are you gonna be the 4E Calimshan and area lorelord?

I don't know about that. I did try to collect and read every thing that's been published (and a fair amount of stuff that hasn't been) on the area before I started the book.

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  19:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked these types of chapter headings in the other Realms books I have seen them in so I look forward to these.

I do have a couple questions Christopher, if you don't mind. For something like this, does an author present the idea to the editor or is it the other way around? Do you as the author come up with these or is that up to someone else in the chain?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  20:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Tyrant, always happy to answer questions.

I can only speak to my own experience, of course, but in my case I knew I wanted to use epigraphical chapter headings and I knew I wanted them to be quotes from "in Realms" sources as much as possible. I ran the idea by my editor as a means of stage-setting or illuminating some thematic element of the action that followed in the chapter, and she said go for it. I created almost all of the quotations myself.

"Almost" I say, because in the earliest drafts of the book, I had divided it into four sections and in addition to the chapter headings I had section epigraphs. For those, I combed published materials to do with Calimshan and the south, seeking out quotes from famous Realms characters. This idea didn't survive subsequent drafts, but I did wind up using two quotes from Steven Schend's Empires of the Shining Sea boxed set originally set for section headings as the headings for Chapter One and for the Epilogue.

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  21:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting insight. I assumed that Ed just made them up himself (and then attributed them to an appropriate source) but I wasn't sure what other author's approach to that would be. I was a little surprised that these would show up in another book since there weren't any in Elminster Must Die and in the past most (or maybe all, I ahven't read them all) of Ed's books have had these. I like them so hopefully this is the start of a trend.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  23:22:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tymora's Luck also did this. Each chapter heading was an amusing snippet from a different author about a common theme. I was hoping then that these would become common fare, but oh well.

Of greater value still are "journal entry" headers which indicate dates or even places. These make correlation of isolated stories, characters, and events across a unified timeline so very much easier than exhaustive scanning through the text, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  00:36:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ed's novels always have them. I often find them interesting, and at times funny.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Three

The claims of the elven sages may be disregarded as they are born of vanity and fancy. The dwarves depend on legends, not scholarship. History is clear. The djinn invented war.

—Akabar ibn Hrellam
Empires of the Shining Sands, vol. iv
Printed and Bound at Keltar
-960 DR

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:11:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are there elves in your book?

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Are there elves in your book?

Just passing mentions that they exist, but no, no elves as characters.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:20:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm glad. I usually avoid them.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  16:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Four

"You are wise to realize you must trust me. You are wise to find this terrifying."

—"The Marid's Bargain"

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  18:07:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dennis — Are there elves in your book?
This was genuinely funny.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  22:22:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not to me. I loathe them.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  13:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Five

Knowledge of the sword is useless without knowledge of the world.

—"The First Trader's Unsalable Wares,"

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  14:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Six

Peace is never a simple choice.

—"Helpful Janna Seeks a Husband"

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  14:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Seven

Among the Djen slave races Calim brought through the Airy Gate were the hubryn, who mingled with the native humans and became our ancestors. There, too, were the hin, who founded the divers nations of the halflings. And Calim also brought the horned yikaria, who feed their children blood.

—Akabar ibn Hrellam
Empires of the Shining Sands, vol. ii

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  17:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Eight

There is a path running only one direction, through a gate that never closes.

—The Nar'ysr's Last Prophecy
(apocryphal)

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  16:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Nine

The sha'ir who does not seek the origin of magic is a coward. The sha'ir who believes there is one is a fool.

—"Clever Janna and the Third Sha'ir"

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  17:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Ten

If this room is all you have seen of the world, how did you measure its width?

—"The Mapmaker's Slave"

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  04:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like these, particularly chapters 4 and 9.

You mentioned trying to gather existing lore for this novel. I was wondering what other sources of inspiration were used? For instance on the D&D front, did the 3.5 book Sandstorm serve any type of inspiration? Or anything from Dark Sun for examples of desert world flavor?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  07:56:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Chapter Four

"You are wise to realize you must trust me. You are wise to find this terrifying."

—"The Marid's Bargain"

I used that first sentence more than once when talking to my boss.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  16:11:23  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

You mentioned trying to gather existing lore for this novel. I was wondering what other sources of inspiration were used? For instance on the D&D front, did the 3.5 book Sandstorm serve any type of inspiration? Or anything from Dark Sun for examples of desert world flavor?

Thanks!

Do you know, I only recently became aware of the existence of the 3.5 book Sandstorm? So no on that one.

Other than Forgotten Realms material, which formed the vast bulk of my material, I looked at some Al-Qadim stuff and a lot of real world material about the 1,001 Nights stories, about gladiators, and about slavery.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Thanks!

Do you know, I only recently became aware of the existence of the 3.5 book Sandstorm? So no on that one.

Other than Forgotten Realms material, which formed the vast bulk of my material, I looked at some Al-Qadim stuff and a lot of real world material about the 1,001 Nights stories, about gladiators, and about slavery.

I remembered that there was a desert centric 3.5 book but it wasn't until I pulled it off the shelf and saw the title that I realized it had the same title as your book.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  15:54:49  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Eleven

The Pasha who would be numbered among the elect demands the loyalty of the strong, and holds it only for himself. Likewise, it is only to himself that the Pasha tenders loyalty.

—Erlo Elraedan
The Blood-drenched Throne
Printed and bound at Calimport
The Year of Ocean's Wrath (1212 DR)

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  12:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Twelve

The Spider That Waits has eight thousand eyes,
The Spider That Waits sees through Janna's disguise,
The Spider That Waits spins a web out lies,
Janna gets caught there, and there Janna dies.

—Calishite children’s song
Collected at Volothamp
The Year of the Blazing Brand (1334 DR)

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  18:25:25  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Thirteen

The efreeti have flesh like a man, and blood like a man. But their minds are fire, and they have no souls at all.

—Janessar proverb

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  19:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Chapter Twelve

The Spider That Waits has eight thousand eyes,
The Spider That Waits sees through Janna's disguise,
The Spider That Waits spins a web out lies,
Janna gets caught there, and there Janna dies.

—Calishite children’s song
Collected at Volothamp
The Year of the Blazing Brand (1334 DR)

Is this Janna the clever Janna mentioned in some of the other chapter headings?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2011 :  20:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Janna's kind of a recurring figure in the Book of Founding Stories as I've envisioned it, so she's part of the cultural apparatus of Calimshan in general. I guess the short answer is yes, but it's more complicated than that. Steven Schend invented her with his work on the Founding Stories in the Empires of the Shining Sea boxed set.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2011 :  16:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter Fourteen

O Calimport! City of Glory!
I weep to know you fell!
O Calimport! City of Slaves!
I weep to know you ever stood.

—"The Southsong of Runted T'Emma"
(undated)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000