Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The greatest fight scene in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  10:41:53  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There are many great fight scenes in the FR books. So, what's your favorite?

Personaly I like Drizzt's escape from the illithid fortress...

Edited by - Jelennet on 25 Dec 2010 10:45:20

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  10:56:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the one in Dream Spheres by the talented Elaine Cunningham where Elaith and Arilyn fight together against the tren (in the sewers, methinks). Wish I still had a copy of that book, been years since I read it.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:16:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the "greatest fight scene in the Realms" have to be from published canon? I've seen some (never published) real doozies at my table.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:17:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A similar thread can be found here.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:21:18  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything between Artemis and Drizzt...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:48:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not all battle scenes, strictly speaking, but:
  • Szass Tam vs all the (remaining) Zulkirs of Thay

• Telamont (plus some of his Princes Shade and Shadovar artillery) vs belligerent Mephistopheles

• Some of Erevis's little "discussions" with Mask get a bit violent

• [/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:55:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Fight scenes tend to make my eyes glaze over, if they take more than a page or two. It's not what interests me in a book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  15:05:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Fight scenes tend to make my eyes glaze over, if they take more than a page or two. It's not what interests me in a book.

Partially agreed. It really does depend on the author for me. For example, I can read extended fight scenes as written by Ed or Erik, but I would usually skim through those by RAS or Rich Baker.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
    Senior Scribe

Norway
    377 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  19:24:26  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Arik

• Agreed on these two. Especially the Cale vs Mask in the alley sequence. Not too long, yet imprinted in my memory as a very cool scene.

Edited by - Elfinblade on 25 Dec 2010 19:24:49
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  21:47:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Telamont versus Mephistopheles. It was unexpected. Mephisto said he never forgets---a promise to avenge his humiliation. Perhaps we'll see how he'd exactly do that in Cycle of Night.

Szass Tam versus the Zulkirs. Richard always writes excellent fight scenes. And the zulkirs' last battle was even better than the fight scenes in YoRD.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
    Senior Scribe

Australia
    921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I don't mind fight scenes in most novels. But I find fight scenes in some Wizards-published novels tend to adhere a little too closely to the D&D game rules for combat. That kind of puts me off.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
    Go to Top of Page

Sandro
    Learned Scribe

New Zealand
    266 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  03:41:32  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The final battle of Gauntlgrym certainly sticks in my memory, as does the ever-excellent scene from The Crystal Shard in which Drizzt and Wulfgar take out the verbeeg cave.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
    Go to Top of Page

Zireael
    Master of Realmslore

Poland
    1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  10:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'll go a little different route.
    For me the greatest fight scenes in the Realms would be the Battle of Shining Stars, the Battle of Silversgate, Second Blooding of Oacenth and, of course, the Bane Duel.

Kudos to anyone who remembers where they took place.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  15:35:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Zireael

For me the greatest fight scenes in the Realms would be the Battle of Shining Stars, the Battle of Silversgate, Second Blooding of Oacenth and, of course, the Bane Duel.

I accept your kudos.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
    Great Reader

USA
    3567 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  16:18:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Zireael

I prefer my kudos to be covered in dark chocolate

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
    Go to Top of Page

swifty
    Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
    517 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  16:31:42  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    drizzt vs entreri in halflings gem.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
    Go to Top of Page

skychrome
    Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  13:08:27  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    As already mentioned, this topic was recently covered here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
    Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
    Learned Scribe

USA
    170 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2010 :  17:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    There are to many good fight scenes to pick just one! if i had to it would be elminster and the elf wizard that loses his head over the battle in Elminster in Myth Drannor. It was epic that the spell intended to flay a fallen deer rebouded back on him.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die."
    — H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
    Go to Top of Page

Marc
    Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2010 :  13:31:31  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Pharaun against that epic tanar'ri. Arilyn and Kymil is memorable too. And the ending scene in House of the Serpents with imprisoned Ssseth at a side.

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
    Learned Scribe

USA
    343 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2010 :  23:28:28  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'm partial to Artemis vs the battlemage in Calimport.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
    Go to Top of Page

skychrome
    Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  01:57:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aulduron

I'm partial to Artemis vs the battlemage in Calimport.

Yes! Brilliant that one!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
    Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
    Great Reader

USA
    3567 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2010 :  02:44:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Ghostwalker......Walker vs. That dude with the gyrspike( I think that was his weapon)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  08:49:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Zethrindor versus Iyraclea. I didn't expect the outcome.

Rivalen versus a green dragon. A good fight showing Rivalen's vulnerability.

Lady Polaris versus a general in Hell (whose name unfortunately I can't remember). 'Tis nice to see an archwizard fighting in hell as though she's just strolling.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
    Great Reader

Canada
    3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  12:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Most of the Drizzt vs Entreri fights. Otherwise, its harder to stay focused during a fight scene in a novel for me (hard to make a proper visual and keep track of what is going on, especially with multiple people involved).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
    http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  00:43:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Tchazzzar versus Sseelrigoth. I'm not so much a dragon fan, but their fight was a bit memorable.

Go to Top of Page

Darsson Spellmaker
    Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  23:56:21  Show Profile Send Darsson Spellmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The spellbattle between Elminster and Ilhundyl the Mad in The Making of a Mage has always been one of my favorites.

"Know, O mages, that there is learning, and there is wisdom, and they are very far from being the same thing."--Azuth the High One, Utterances from the Altar: Collected Verbal Manifestations of the Divine and Most Holy Lord of Spells (holy chapbook, assembled by anonymous priests of Azuth circa 1358 DR)
    Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
    Forgotten Realms Author

USA
    4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  00:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The showdown between Drizzt and Zaknafein is the one that sticks in my mind. Y'know, both of them.

quote:
    Originally posted by The Red Walker

Ghostwalker......Walker vs. That dude with the gyrspike( I think that was his weapon)
    That is indeed what it was--a sword with a spiked flail attached to the pommel. Part of my writing challenge to myself in that book was to describe how someone would fight with something like that.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  02:03:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Darsson Spellmaker

The spellbattle between Elminster and Ilhundyl the Mad in The Making of a Mage has always been one of my favorites.

It is one of mine, too. Though I often forget his name. I just call him That Mad Wizard in TMotM.

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
    Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  16:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

• Telamont (plus some of his Princes Shade and Shadovar artillery) vs belligerent Mephistopheles

• Wait, in what book did the battle between Telamont and Mephistopheles take place? *puts on ignoramus hat*

Oh, and for me the best battle scene is Drizzt vs Dantrag Baenre. First Dantrag has the advantage... but then Drizzt spots the weakness of Dantrag's style and uses that to defeat Dantrag.
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  19:21:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krafus

quote:

• Wait, in what book did the battle between Telamont and Mephistopheles take place? *puts on ignoramus hat*

It's in Shadowrealm, book 3 of the Twilight War trilogy by PSK.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
    Senior Scribe

Canada
    826 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  22:45:30  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
    Originally posted by Krafus

quote:

It's in Shadowrealm, book 3 of the Twilight War trilogy by PSK.

I am not sure if I would call that a battle so much as a summoning of a creature generally too powerful to be controlled by most beings. Other than Mephisto turning one of the shades into a twitching pile of gore and shooting veridian beams from his eyes that staggers Telamont, there was not a whole lot of battle. All Telamont did was shackle him in shadows.

It was a terrific scene nonetheless.

Of all Drizzt fights, the battle with Zaknafein stands out to me the most.

Erevis Cale and crew vs the Sojourner was excellent. Showing just how powerful a high level mage really is. The Sojourner cleaning out one of the twin towers of eternal eclipse was epic itself. A whole tower of Clerics, wizards and soldiers in less than an hour.

Abelar Corrinthal vs Malkur Forrin in the same series was also epic.

The scene where Manshoon attacks the knights of Myth Drannor only to be surprised by Elminster's presence was also epic in Spellfire.

Gromph Baerne vs Lich Dyrr from war of the spider queen was epic.

Khelben Blackstaff, and Alustriel, Dove, Storm and Laeral Silverhand (5 chosen) vs Telamont Tanthul and many of the princes of Shade was also exciting for me from Return of the Archwizards. A shame Elminster and the Simbul were in hell at the time and Qilue was busy elsewhere. The scene where Storm fires off silverfire at a shade and it rips a hole to the 9 hells(boy do weave and Shadow weave magic not mix), forcing Elminster to go in to seal it was excellent in itself. I am still wondering how the hell Telamont Tanthul was able to raise a spellshield that blocked Khelben's silverfire. but it is the most high after all.

Szass Tam vs the other Zulkir's in Unholy was excellent :)

Edited by - Firestorm on 06 Jan 2011 22:49:39
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000