Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The greatest fight scene in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  23:37:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Not all battle scenes, strictly speaking, but:
  • Szass Tam vs all the (remaining) Zulkirs of Thay

• Telamont (plus some of his Princes Shade and Shadovar artillery) vs belligerent Mephistopheles

• Some of Erevis's little "discussions" with Mask get a bit violent

• Wait, in what book did the battle between Telamont and Mephistopheles take place? *puts on ignoramus hat*

It's in Shadowrealm, book 3 of the Twilight War trilogy by PSK.

I am not sure if I would call that a battle so much as a summoning of a creature generally too powerful to be controlled by most beings. Other than Mephisto turning one of the shades into a twitching pile of gore and shooting veridian beams from his eyes that staggers Telamont, there was not a whole lot of battle. All Telamont did was shackle him in shadows.

It was a summoning, yes. But it was a battle scene, too, because of the exchange of powers that resulted to Telamont’s discomfort and his lackey’s near-death. It was quick because it had to be. As Mephisto said, Telamont could not shackle him for a long period of time, because he’d drain his city of magic.

quote:
    Originally posted by Firestorm

I am still wondering how the hell Telamont Tanthul was able to raise a spellshield that blocked Khelben's silverfire. but it is the most high after all.

I guess he “studied” the nature and intricacies of the silverfire that somehow he was able to devise a shield against it. Besides, he was the only who determined the difference between the phaerimm’s fake silverfire and that of the Chosen.

Every beginning has an end.
    Go to Top of Page

Krafus
    Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  14:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Thanks, Dennis. :)
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  17:37:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    My pleasure. I happen to be Telamont's fan. =)

Go to Top of Page

Ecaporaso
    Acolyte

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  22:22:54  Show Profile  Visit Ecaporaso's Homepage Send Ecaporaso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Without a doubt, my favorite FR battle scene is the one at the end of 'Unholy' - when the temporary alliance among the zulkirs against Malark is shattered by Szass Tam's claim to autonomous rule over Thay. This fight really evoked the intensity/desperation of a high-level spell battle, and it was woven into the plot so well...

I remember Nevron (the zulkir of conjuration) summoning all these demons to attack Szass Tam - demons which the lich promptly turned to glass then shattered :). The fact that I recall the details of the fight are testament to how awesome it was.

I also really enjoyed the fights in the Abolethic Sovereignty (sp?) trilogy (Raidon the monk = pure devastation).

Seeing Mystras chosen/Elminster in action is always cool - but I'm worried I won't see any more of that in the post-spellplague era :(
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  23:52:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ecaporaso
    I also really enjoyed the fights in the Abolethic Sovereignty (sp?) trilogy (Raidon the monk = pure devastation).

Japheth’s fight scenes are entertaining, too.

quote:
    Originally posted by Ecaporaso

Seeing Mystras chosen/Elminster in action is always cool - but I'm worried I won't see any more of that in the post-spellplague era :(

You will. Ed is writing a new Elminster series (composed of 6 books, if I’m not mistaken), and 3 of the Chosen are in it; the other two being Alassra and Storm. Their fight scenes in Elminster Must Die, the first book in the sextet, are bland, though. But wait till they regain their strength, and you’ll see castles falling again…

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
    Learned Scribe

USA
    228 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  08:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I hope this isn't novel specific..if it is forgive my post. But the best and funniest fighting scene took place in one our sessions way back in 1e. There was this new Guy who was playing..no problem as we allowed all newcomers. ...who had the most audacious character I have ever seen. His name was Worf and well he had two scimitars...and a skin and claws made of adamantium..seriously with the healing factor and all. We didn't ask how but we did share some looks involving rolling of the eyes. Anyway he was so cocky that by the time we started out all of us wished he would fall first( bad form I know but you don't understand how cocky this Guy was) and lo and behold we come upon a cadiableepos(Sp?) And true to his attitude Worf just charged the creature. We warned him to hold back...but alas he didn't heed the advice...a dice roll later he was dead. Another roll his adamantium was discovered And I got a shiny new sword and sold the rest for magical items( think it was a ring of some sort) and we all had a great laugh. Though I heard later through friends that Worf had used some contingency spell And was roaming the realms again. There are other more descriptive and honorable battles that have been fought and written...but that one will always be the best one for me. Lol I still have a few guffaws when I think about it and the look on the guy face right after that roll.
    Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
    Learned Scribe

USA
    228 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  09:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Crap....I just saw the first post....Sorry j
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  10:50:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Well, you can start a thread asking fellow scribes what their favorite fight scenes are in their OWN Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Ilsidahur
    Acolyte

Denmark
    2 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  16:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Ilsidahur's Homepage Send Ilsidahur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    What about the battle where Kesson Rel fights Cale, Riven, Rivalen, Magadon using a Mythallar and a dozen Templars and priests of Lathander!

From light comes shadow
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  23:23:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Despite how big it was, I don't like it. Far too long and almost repetitive.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
    Senior Scribe

Canada
    826 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  17:42:07  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I never found it to be either of those things. Was a great fight scene.
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  17:53:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Oh, the comments that could be made from this statement!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Ecaporaso
    Acolyte

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  03:17:37  Show Profile  Visit Ecaporaso's Homepage Send Ecaporaso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Wow. Just wow.
    Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
    Great Reader

USA
    3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  04:37:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    My thoughts exactly.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
    http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  06:18:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Honestly, when I posted it, my thoughts were all "saintly."

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Jan 2011 06:20:26
    Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
    Great Reader

USA
    3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  06:30:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Riiiight!! *smirks knowingly* LOL!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
    http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  07:05:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Really. If Wooly didn't bring it my now-not-so-saintly attention, I wouldn't have noticed.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
    Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  17:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Pretty much anything involving Obould. Mainly because they weren't overly detailed. You got what was going on, but Salvatore didn't gush over every feint and parry and you didn't need a diagram to follow them.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
    - John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
    http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  06:50:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I find Alassra's series of battles in Silverfall memorable. I still could scarcely believe she transmuted herself to a magical barrier.

Go to Top of Page

strafer
    Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  01:34:33  Show Profile Send strafer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    So many to choose from. Vhostym's eradication of a small fortress although a bit one sided as expected.
    Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
    Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  23:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Elminster chucking fireballs at the magefair. It always makes me chuckle.
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  00:43:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by strafer

So many to choose from. Vhostym's eradication of a small fortress although a bit one sided as expected.

Indeed.

It'll be great if Paul writes a stand-alone novel about him---detailing his early life, down to how he became The Sojourner. Blasting dragons and planets with nothing but his sheer powers is no easy feat.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
    Master of Realmslore

Brazil
    1120 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  02:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Ghostwalker! All the fights in Ghostwalker. But I find the moments before the confrontation between Walker and Meris far intense than the fight per se.

But anyway... all the fights of Ghostwalker! :D

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
    Facebook: yuri.peixoto
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page