Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Seeking a new read.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Snow Crash was too weird for me.

All of Neal Stephenson's books are weird. And some people like weird stuff.

When it comes to weird, I prefer Jeff Vandermeer.

I rarely read weird books, myself. And there's a certain level of weirdness I can tolerate. Stephenson's weirdness is just okay. Though I recall some books, mostly the combined genre sci-fi-and-GLBT, that are so insanely weird I'm positive the authors must be mad.

Odd, because that doesn't seem like it would be "weird." But then maybe it's my love of narrative theory talking.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:32:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's just say we have our "own" categorization of weirdness.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ecaporaso
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  03:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Ecaporaso's Homepage Send Ecaporaso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso

Here are some of my favorite "outside the realms" selections:

If you want something intellectually stimulating/super-fun: "Cryptonomicon" or "Snow Crash" by Neil Stephenson (historical fiction and science fiction respectively)

If you want suspense/thriller - Any "Jack Reacher" novel by Lee Child (just google jack reacher, there's a ton, all good)

If you want hard scifi - "A Deepness in the Sky" by Vernor Vinge

If you want to become a better human - "Of Human Bondage" or "The Razors Edge" by Somerset Maugham (one of my favorite authors)

I don't know what I'd do without books... :)

Snow Crash was too weird for me. And I have issues with the nature of the virus in that book.

I know other people have liked it, but it's not one I would recommend.

--* SEMI-SPOILER *--

While I agree that the notion of a 'phonetic' or 'meme' virus was far-fetched, I thought the world Stephenson painted more than made up for it. I mean the opening scene was about the trials and tribulations of an uber-hardcore katana-wielding pizza delivery boy, of all things. I was immedietely sold. And the Raven character was so awesome!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000