Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 the watercourse trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  10:24:42  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
im starting this after house of serpents.just wanted to hear peoples two pennys worth.not read much about it on hear.i know theres a red wizard thing goin on.is tam in it.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  17:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the series, mostly because of its non-traditional hero (an architect).

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  20:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recommend this trilogy. It is very enjoyable and different from most others

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  15:19:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked it, even though it features what is easily my most hated FR character! Phyrea?? I cant remeber the spelling...and that's a good thing, I have been trying to forget her since I read it!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  11:23:58  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so is tam in it then.or what about aznar thrul.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2010 :  14:25:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

There is a red wizard with a prominent role...but I cant recall his name.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2010 :  15:31:21  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
finally got round to reading book 1 after bore inducing vanitys brood.has ever a series started off so promisingly and gone downhill so much?anyway i absolutely loved whisper of waves and cant wait for lies of light.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  09:55:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

tam is not in this trilogy...the red wizard playing the anti-hero is marek rymut. this is for me one of the most boring series i've ever read...i couldn't even figure out why on earth i let myself suffer. i didn't read the 3rd book, though. couldn't afford to inflict myself with more pain. if there's something worth mentioning about the series, it's marek. he' s a bit interesting, a true red wizard (in power and attitude).

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  10:03:28  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bit late to the thread but yes, I found the watercourse trilogy very difficult to read or remain interested in. The characters, even the hero, are very unsympathetic and the plot is too disjointed. I believe I started or was part of a similar thread and asked the same question and was immediatley advised to avoid them by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, I wish I'd taken her advice.

Phil Athans is a great editor, but both these and his Baldur's Gate books stink.

Edited by - BlackAce on 22 Apr 2010 10:04:21
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  16:59:16  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow.i must be in the minority.but yes the baldurs gate novels were awful.

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  23:06:05  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed this series imeasurably more than his Baldur's Gate novels. But I still had a hard time getting through it. The most difficult part for me was the fact that all of the struggle of the characters and what they were trying to accomplish was so pointless considering that area of the realms was pretty much wiped out with the 4 ed. changes.

meh.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  02:59:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Bit late to the thread but yes, I found the watercourse trilogy very difficult to read or remain interested in. The characters, even the hero, are very unsympathetic and the plot is too disjointed. I believe I started or was part of a similar thread and asked the same question and was immediatley advised to avoid them by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, I wish I'd taken her advice.

Phil Athans is a great editor, but both these and his Baldur's Gate books stink.

True, it was such a pain reading through the first 2 books that I passed the 3rd. Anyway, about Baldur's Gate, after I read book 1, I told myself, "No more Phil Athans in the future for me." I think the only good book he has ever written is annihilation. Well, he's a good editor,though, and mayhap he should just stick to that job.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  08:03:19  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes but wernt the bg books based on a video game.they were always going to be terrible.

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  08:56:29  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were, but not THAT terrible! Both Lynn Abbey's(IIRC)*Pools of Radiance and Drew Karpyyshyn's Throne of Bhaal novels were very good. Phil Athans' Baldur's Gate and Shadows of Amn? Not so much.

Take the main character in Baldur's Gate for example; Abdel Arledrian. His behaviour and personality can be summed up as Conan crossed with Richard Sharpe, though he lacks their depth and neither of those are particularly deep character's. "Me smash!" "Me shag!" is about the sumtotal of his instincts and volcabulary and that isn't much of an exageration!

*I don't remember correctly, Carrie Brebis wrote PoR:RoMD

Edited by - BlackAce on 24 Apr 2010 08:58:07
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  09:58:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Me smash!" "Me shag!" is about the sumtotal of his instincts and volcabulary and that isn't much of an exageration!

Is any more needed by a fighter?
Go to Top of Page

ajfurst
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  11:10:11  Show Profile  Visit ajfurst's Homepage Send ajfurst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's one of my favourite series. My least favourite series are 'flog a character class' and 'Realm $haking event' ones, so single stories/series that stand on their own two feet and don't have super-villians are the most interesting to me. The fact the hero isn't a super swordsman, thief, cleric or mage of some stripe is a neat twist on the usual fare I liked.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  17:51:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

"Me smash!" "Me shag!" is about the sumtotal of his instincts and volcabulary and that isn't much of an exageration!

Is any more needed by a fighter?

Yes. "Me crush!" needs to be there as well.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  20:03:20  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I liked it, even though it features what is easily my most hated FR character! Phyrea?? I cant remeber the spelling...and that's a good thing, I have been trying to forget her since I read it!

i see what you mean.i was half expecting her to develop an eating disorder by the end.

Go to Top of Page

Ecaporaso
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  23:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Ecaporaso's Homepage Send Ecaporaso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only read the first book of this series. This may just be me, but it struck me as a brazen Forgotten Realms version of the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (sp?). I thought it was well-written and had some very interesting qualities, but it didn't grab me as much as other FR books.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  23:44:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Phil said, Ayn Rand is one of his inspirations.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  03:27:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso

I only read the first book of this series. This may just be me, but it struck me as a brazen Forgotten Realms version of the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (sp?). I thought it was well-written and had some very interesting qualities, but it didn't grab me as much as other FR books.

I've not read the books myself, nor anything by Ayn Rand... But I've heard more than one person make a similar comment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  03:47:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. The "Watercourse" trilogy is among my stacks of 'To-Read' books. Not quite sure when I'll get to them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  03:54:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil mentioned in the Acknowledgements section that the sources of the novel Whisper of Waves include Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and The Virtue of Selfishness. And in the Acknowledgements in Lies of Light, he said, "Inspiration continues to be drawn from The Fountainhead and other writings of Ayn Rand." So if you notice a lot of similarities, 'tis no wonder.

Edited by - Dennis on 23 Jan 2011 03:56:35
Go to Top of Page

Ecaporaso
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  04:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Ecaporaso's Homepage Send Ecaporaso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Phil mentioned in the Acknowledgements section that the sources of the novel Whisper of Waves include Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and The Virtue of Selfishness. And in the Acknowledgements in Lies of Light, he said, "Inspiration continues to be drawn from The Fountainhead and other writings of Ayn Rand." So if you notice a lot of similarities, 'tis no wonder.

Now that you mention it, I do recall those acknowledgements.

I've always felt that Ayn Rands literature didn't emphasize storytelling so much as it functioned as a mechanism for her to convey her philosophical beliefs. Maybe this is why it struck me as an awkward platform for a fantasy novel.

Hmm. Now I'm curious about the rest of the trilogy. Hopefully they're still in stock at my local bookstore...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  06:46:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You said the first book didn't grab you. Don't expect the second will. They're equally disappointing. Bear in mind, though, that this comment comes from someone who only likes one thing (Marek Rymut) in the series, and who wants to strangle Ivar, drown Phyrea in the Lake of Steam, and burn the rest of the characters.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  18:37:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You said the first book didn't grab you. Don't expect the second will. They're equally disappointing. Bear in mind, though, that this comment comes from someone who only likes one thing (Marek Rymut) in the series, and who wants to strangle Ivar, drown Phyrea in the Lake of Steam, and burn the rest of the characters.

Wouldn't say they are equally disappointing, that's unfair.

They are increasingly disappointing

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  18:39:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Aye. The "Watercourse" trilogy is among my stacks of 'To-Read' books. Not quite sure when I'll get to them.

Do yourself a favor Sage...

Toss them on your Vortex, take a stick and push them down to the bottom, never to be seen again. This trilogy was the one thing that maddened Rino more than any other.....One word....Phyrea.....what a mind numbing character.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  23:39:17  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
phyrea as annoying as she was is probably the closest thing to a 3 dimensional female character there has been in a realms novel.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  00:34:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

phyrea as annoying as she was is probably the closest thing to a 3 dimensional female character there has been in a realms novel.

Other than annoying....she had a second dimension?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  00:41:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You have the right of it!

Did you read all 3? I read the 1st and 2nd, but I couldn't further torture myself with the last.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  00:45:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You have the right of it!

Did you read all 3? I read the 1st and 2nd, but I couldn't further torture myself with the last.

I did read all three I was in the process of buying ole realms stuff I missed so I would have every novel....I bought all three at the same time.....so even though it I would have liked to skip it, I had already shelled out the $

And I had hopes the the red wizard in the novels would triumph and kill em all....but that didn't happen.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000