Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Seeking a new read.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TheGato
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  20:05:44  Show Profile  Visit TheGato's Homepage Send TheGato a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings Candlekeep members.

I've been a long time member, although my presence and discussion is rare at best.

To the point.
I just finished the The Twilight War series (VERY good BTW! Thank you Paul S. Kemp!) and am seeking a new read.
The thing is, I have no idea what to get my eager paws on.
So I thought asking the knowledgeable members of the Keep would be a great place to start.

I have read quite a bit of the Realms. I've greatly enjoyed the works of Elaine Cunningham, Paul S. Kemp, Primarily, the masterful Erik Scott de Bie, and other greats. Primarily, I tend to gravitate towards stories that focus on a roguish character. All of the Rogue series was great!

What would you wonderful folks here at the Keep suggest for a next read? In or out of the Realms.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  20:40:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Non-Realms novels is a huge category... We'd need to know a little more about your tastes, for that one. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Dresden Files books. And as soon as I finish re-reading Cormyr, I'm going to revisit Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser -- my wife got me replacement copies of those books for my birthday.

As for Realms novels... Though we never quite reached a consensus, this is a topic that was discussed at length in the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. Perusing that scroll may be helpful for you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheGato
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  21:37:01  Show Profile  Visit TheGato's Homepage Send TheGato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, Wooly. Too true. Non-Realms is a quite vast category.
I suppose my tastes are for something that is mature (no young adults section), a little dark, and definitely not preachy. I like seeing the typical fair of races. Definitely cant do steam punk..
I cant stand blind, black and white altruistic characters with no depth (like The Sword of Truth series). Love ant-heroes and strong heroine characters, especially of roguish quality.

Does that flesh it out a bit more?

Thanks for the realms topic link. Ive been going through it. Maybe I'll get an idea. Or I could always go back and re-read something.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  21:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like urban fantasy, I think you'd like the Dresden Files. It's about a wizard who is also a private investigator, in modern Chicago. It's got some dark moments and some strong heroines, and is a nice mixture of action and mystery, with bits of humor scattered throughout.

One of my favorite bits is when the main character is asked what he wants on his vegetarian pizza, and he replies that he wants dead pigs and cows -- they're vegetarians! (I have to refrain from using lines like that around my vegan mother-in-law!)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Jan 2011 21:56:32
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  22:20:42  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to check out Steven Erickson's Malazan books, TheGato. Definitely no black & white there.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  22:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like Wooly, I enthusiastically recommend Fritz Leiber's Gray Mouser and Fafhrd series. They're absolutely terrific sword and sorcery stories. I also love the sword and sorcery of Robert E. Howard (Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane, etc.) and that of Karl Edward Wagner.

For the kind of epic fantasy story that comes in several volumes each the size of a cinder block, I like Tad Williams.

For urban fantasy, once again, like Wooly, I like the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. I'm also a fan of the Nightside series by Simon R. Green. And, my buddy Tim Waggoner, who's done some Eberron books, just brought out an urban fantasy called Nekropolis. I have to admit, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. But Tim's a good writer, so I'm sure this book is good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  23:13:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Like Wooly, I enthusiastically recommend Fritz Leiber's Gray Mouser and Fafhrd series. They're absolutely terrific sword and sorcery stories. I also love the sword and sorcery of Robert E. Howard (Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane, etc.) and that of Karl Edward Wagner.

For the kind of epic fantasy story that comes in several volumes each the size of a cinder block, I like Tad Williams.

For urban fantasy, once again, like Wooly, I like the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. I'm also a fan of the Nightside series by Simon R. Green. And, my buddy Tim Waggoner, who's done some Eberron books, just brought out an urban fantasy called Nekropolis. I have to admit, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. But Tim's a good writer, so I'm sure this book is good.

I've only read one of the Nightside books, and it didn't grab me... But I've liked Green's Secret History books -- urban fantasy crossed with James Bond.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  00:16:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Non-Realms novels is a huge category... We'd need to know a little more about your tastes, for that one. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Dresden Files books. And as soon as I finish re-reading Cormyr, I'm going to revisit Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser -- my wife got me replacement copies of those books for my birthday.

As for Realms novels... Though we never quite reached a consensus, this is a topic that was discussed at length in the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. Perusing that scroll may be helpful for you.

I strongly second the recommendation of the Dresden Files novels......and if you like the idea of stories were not everything I'd good or bad, try G RR Martins song of ice and fire books.

As for realms stuff I think Jaliegh Johnson and Rosemary Jones write a badass story as well as Richard Lee Byers visits to the darker side!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Jan 2011 00:19:35
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  01:13:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGato

Greetings Candlekeep members.

I've been a long time member, although my presence and discussion is rare at best.

To the point.
I just finished the The Twilight War series (VERY good BTW! Thank you Paul S. Kemp!) and am seeking a new read.
The thing is, I have no idea what to get my eager paws on.
So I thought asking the knowledgeable members of the Keep would be a great place to start.

I have read quite a bit of the Realms. I've greatly enjoyed the works of Elaine Cunningham, Paul S. Kemp, Primarily, the masterful Erik Scott de Bie, and other greats. Primarily, I tend to gravitate towards stories that focus on a roguish character. All of the Rogue series was great!

What would you wonderful folks here at the Keep suggest for a next read? In or out of the Realms.

I recommend Raymond E. Feist's novels, as they're abound with rougish characters, from clever thief to tough but funny pirate. That is, if you don't mind massive, magical battles, as his books also teem with powerful magicians.

I also recommend The Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens, The Recluse saga by L.E. Modesitt, Jr., The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan, and The Chronicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  01:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crossroads books by Kate Elliott and Psalms of Issac by Ken Scholes- Totally awesome world building, slowly accelerating plot and awesome characters.

I used to read the Dresden Files a lot, but they've fallen out of my "must read NOW" lists and been replaced with Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books.

On the more "new weird" side of the fantasy spectrum I've been enjoying Jeff Vandermeer's books and Nick Harkaway.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  01:37:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

And, my buddy Tim Waggoner, who's done some Eberron books, just brought out an urban fantasy called Nekropolis. I have to admit, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. But Tim's a good writer, so I'm sure this book is good.
Oooh! I've been curious about Nekropolis, as I've long been a fan of Waggoner's EBERRON works. Need to check that out also.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  02:29:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also recommend Warhammer books. You can start with Masters of Magic by Chris Wright.

Magic: The Gathering books, particularly Planeswalker novels, might also appeal to you. Agents of Artifice by Ari Marmell and The Purifying Fire by Laura Resnick are good reads.

If you want those which are dark but employ less magic, you can try Alan Campbell's novels.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  12:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything by Richard Lee Byers or Erik Scott de Bie as far as realms novels.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  14:41:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

You might want to check out Steven Erickson's Malazan books, TheGato. Definitely no black & white there.

Seconded.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  16:46:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. Superb characterization. (And it now comes in a boxed set.)

As far as Realms novels go, I'd echo Wooly's suggestion to see the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  22:52:02  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you like rogue type characters then check out city of ravens from the cities series.as ive said numerous times its one of the greatest realms novels ever written.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  23:52:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

if you like rogue type characters then check out city of ravens from the cities series.as ive said numerous times its one of the greatest realms novels ever written.

It is very good.....I enjoys the whole city series in fact.....my memories are stretching thin her.......but it seems that Temple Hill was very good.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  00:13:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

You might like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. Superb characterization. (And it now comes in a boxed set.)
I wasn't really all that familiar with Sanderson's work. But his contributions to the "Wheel of Time" series has got me thinking that I might just want to look into his "Mistborn" series.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  04:50:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I wasn't really all that familiar with Sanderson's work. But his contributions to the "Wheel of Time" series has got me thinking that I might just want to look into his "Mistborn" series.

The greatest strength of the books is characterization.

You might also like his stand-alone novel, Elantris. Think the fall of Netheril, only this time, it's not a literal fall, but a fall in power. For the once mighty beings of Elantris became powerless wrecks...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  18:01:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want dark and gritty, I recommend The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.

Edited by - Dennis on 13 Jan 2011 18:01:45
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  01:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't second that recommendation. I found them depressingly predicable and wanted most of the characters to die in a fire by the middle of the second book.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  01:38:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I can't second that recommendation. I found them depressingly predicable and wanted most of the characters to die in a fire by the middle of the second book.

I wish that just once, you would not hold back and just tell us how you really feel about something

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Jan 2011 01:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  02:12:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want "easy reads"---those very lean books of 100-something pages only---try Simon Hawke's fantasy novels. I enjoyed them back in high school.

I heard his sci-fi works are fun as well, like those Star Trek ones. But I haven’t read them; I rarely read sci-fi, so I can’t be so sure.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  02:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I wish that just once, you would not hold back and just tell us how you really feel about something

LOL That was rather mild wasn't it. I will endeavor to be more Shakespearean next time.

It did not help that the one character I liked died in the first Night Angel book.

Edited by - Lady Fellshot on 14 Jan 2011 02:46:12
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  03:24:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weeks is fond of killing his characters.

Edited by - Dennis on 14 Jan 2011 03:24:46
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  03:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would handle it better were the plot not so worthy of faceplaming and if I enjoyed reading about more than one of his many characters.

Also, rampant resurrection and super powers being pulled from places not normally mentioned on the radio will generally result in my interest going bungee jumping... without the rubber band about the ankles.

The Mistborn books basically ate my spare time for about three weeks through. I'd happily recommend them.

Go to Top of Page

TheGato
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  22:30:27  Show Profile  Visit TheGato's Homepage Send TheGato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!
Thank you all for the great, albeit overwhelming suggestions!

I'll be going through them all individually and making a list for what to pick up next.

Although, in between my last post and today I decided to go with The First Law: Book One, The Blade Itself, By Joe Abercrombie.

Has anyone read that yet?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  22:15:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Mistborn books basically ate my spare time for about three weeks through. I'd happily recommend them.

I recall having 3 pending articles because I was reading that series non-stop.

I like Sanderson's system of magic. Kinda unique.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  17:05:46  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

It is very good.....I enjoys the whole city series in fact.....my memories are stretching thin her.......but it seems that Temple Hill was very good.

yeah.that was great as well.as was jewel of turmish.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  17:31:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGato

Wow!
Thank you all for the great, albeit overwhelming suggestions!

I'll be going through them all individually and making a list for what to pick up next.

Although, in between my last post and today I decided to go with The First Law: Book One, The Blade Itself, By Joe Abercrombie.

Has anyone read that yet?

You seem to favor barbarian protagonists. You might like The Netheril Trilogy by Clayton Emery, and perhaps The Wilds stand-alone novels.

Go to Top of Page

TheGato
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  20:32:26  Show Profile  Visit TheGato's Homepage Send TheGato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You seem to favor barbarian protagonists. You might like The Netheril Trilogy by Clayton Emery, and perhaps The Wilds stand-alone novels.

I enjoy them, but I wouldnt really say that I favor them. If it comes down to favored class for the protagonist, it would most certainly be more Rogue.
Off the top of my head, some of my favorite characters from the realms are ones like Fox at Twilgiht, Tazi Uskevren, Riven, and Jarlaxle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000