Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Season of the Witch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  05:54:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
There's a new fantasy movie staring Nicolas Cage coming out Jan. 7th called Season of the Witch. Who's gonna see it or does it look completly lame?

EDIT: Added YouTube trailer.

Choices:

See it opening night
Wait til the cheapie seats
Que for Redbox / Net Flix
Watch if its already on at someone elses house
Pass

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Diffan on 04 Jan 2011 05:49:01

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  12:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen a preview yet so can't say for sure.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  14:38:59  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pass...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  15:11:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my wife and I are going to see it opening night. 1.) It's a good reason to have a date night and 2.) From the previews, I'm mildly intrigued.

I'm pretty sure it's a re-make from an older movie or a novel, not an original tale.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  16:51:43  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think i'll pass. Apart from Leaving Las Vegas and Kickass, i more or less loathe anything with Cage in it.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  17:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo, a diversity of answers (everything has 1 vote as of me writing this).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  18:21:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trailer I've seen hasn't had enough info to get my attention.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  18:27:04  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting enough that I will likely take the wife to see it.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  18:50:50  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh...with Cage in it I'm not all that interested. Why does he keep getting hired on to do movies? If it wasn't for Ron Perlman being in this movie, I wouldn't have voted "see it if it's already on at a friend's house".
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  19:17:16  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said cheapie seats, since I want to wait for some reviews to come out and I have a number of movies that I would rather see first but haven't had the time to watch that will have priority over this one.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  21:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll see it. What the heck, I saw Tron: Legacy and Gulliver's Travels. It can't possibly be worse. Well, at least it's very unlikely to be worse.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  21:41:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I'll see it. What the heck, I saw Tron: Legacy and Gulliver's Travels. It can't possibly be worse. Well, at least it's very unlikely to be worse.

Aw man ....are you saying Tron wasnt that good?
Guess the Wife was right to talk me out of it!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  23:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, Tron: Legacy is a bad movie. But I know some people who liked it, so maybe you will, too. I think it largely depends on how much slack you feel like cutting the movie for plot holes and illogic.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  05:51:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend said he really liked Tron: Legacy, though I'm not so sure since it's been over 15 years since I've seen the original Tron. I think that movie is probably a wait for the cheapie seats, lol.

As for Season of the Witch and Nicolas Cage....meh I don't think he's a very strong actor and they might have been better off going with a no name.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  11:55:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea who Nicolas Cage is, even if he has been in 60 films.
"Season of the Witch" appears to be a movie about the "burning times".
I thus see little reason to even consider a movie such as this.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  12:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally saw the preview for this last night. Actually looks pretty good. I like Nicolas Cage as an actor and fantasy films are something to watch, cheesy or not

Regarding Tron: Legacy, I know of Tron from the Atari game and knowing about the original movie, but watching the previews, I have NO IDEA what the movie is about (not looking for an explanation, just a lot of people I know saw the previews and just aren't interested cause it makes no sense what its about really)

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  22:21:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll see it in Theatre simply because I like Cage and Fantasy movies in general.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  00:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably won't manage to see this in the theater, but that doesn't say a lot, since I don't go out to movies that often.

I did see Tron in the theater, because the experience was important. Not that the movie was much more than a way to pass a couple hours. In-depth review on my blog, if anyone's interested: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/284945.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  14:40:28  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicolas Cage? Automatic "Pass" for me.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  18:21:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of people are down on Nicolas Cage's acting... I've never had a problem with his acting. Some of the movies he's been in, yes, but not his acting.

There are only a few actors that I deliberately avoid, and it's usually because they either always do kinds of movies I don't like (like most Will Farrell movies) or because they play nothing but really unlikable characters (Jonah Hill).

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  22:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife is a big Nicholas Cage fan. Not so much a dark/medieval fantasy fan. So she is on the fence as to whether she want to see it or not. We may end up waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can screen it first for her.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  22:37:13  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

In my opinion, Tron: Legacy is a bad movie. But I know some people who liked it, so maybe you will, too. I think it largely depends on how much slack you feel like cutting the movie for plot holes and illogic.

I'm with you, Richard :)
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  00:07:32  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife wants to see this so why not?

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  01:49:38  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really hooked by the whole "Season of the Witch" concept, so I probably won't ever see it. I don't mind Nicholas Cage, but meh... not a big draw either.

Tron: Legacy was visually interesting, although the pace was VERY slow and the plot was fairly empty. There were too many places where they stopped the action for lengthy exposition, and it wasn't really even plot-advancing exposition most of the time. I read a review later on the net that captured the movie perfectly: "it was like a priceless crystal egg, beautiful and fascinating, but hollow."

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  02:59:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of people are down on Nicolas Cage's acting... I've never had a problem with his acting. Some of the movies he's been in, yes, but not his acting.

Agreed.

I find this movie mildly interesting, so I might give it a try. The door is always open, anyway, so I can just leave if the first few minutes bored me to death.

About Tron, the first 30-something minutes totally bored us, so my friends and I simply walked out. Self-punishment was never our thing.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  01:11:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Nicolas Cage? Automatic "Pass" for me.

I'm close to that, but more like automatic $1 red box rental, only because most of the movies he acts(or doesn't act ) in are big enough to overcome his style.(which I best describe as someone who has the emotions botoxed and are stiff and frozen)

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  01:43:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still trying to figure out who Nicolas Cage is? Web search indicated he was in 60 movies (some very minor parts)and that is all about him that I know.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  03:22:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I am still trying to figure out who Nicolas Cage is? Web search indicated he was in 60 movies (some very minor parts)and that is all about him that I know.

He's the main guy in this and a lot of other movies. I think my faves with him are The Rock and the first National Treasure (the second was meh, at best).

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  05:29:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He's the sorcerer in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which Allistair made a thread about in the Gen Chat section.

This movie should been showing here in the Philippines by now, but the month-long, nationwide Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) is causing the delay.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  19:33:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I saw the movie last night and I was really suprised. Not having much knowledge going into it, I figured it was Fantasy in nature, dealing with some sort of Witch or saving some damsel in distress. It's not.

I don't have the time to delve into the movie, but I'd give it a solid B, possibly B+ because I loved the costumes and swords.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  02:22:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

He's the main guy in this and a lot of other movies. I think my faves with him are The Rock and the first National Treasure (the second was meh, at best).

Sean Connery carried that movie, I forgot any other actors of note were in it

I think the only one of his movies he didn't hold back was Raising Arizona....and maybe Gone in 60 seconds.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000