Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Season of the Witch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  02:26:37  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the answer to why he keeps getting big time roles?

It's good to have an uncle.....

Francis Ford Coppola ring any bells.....talk about a pedigree.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  04:33:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

True, but the reason he chose not to go by his birthname was to avoid that association. His last name at birth actually was Coppola.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  21:41:22  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait til the cheapie seats

Have anyone else seen the movie except Diffan???In order to tell me their opinion about the film !!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  00:11:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

True, but the reason he chose not to go by his birthname was to avoid that association. His last name at birth actually was Coppola.

I'd say it avoids it to the general public, but I can guarantee every casting director, director and producer who hired him knew exactly who he was.

Now if we could just figure out who Keanu reeves big shot relative is

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  03:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bardobaros: I didn't care for it, and in my case, it's not because I don't like Cage. I actually like him fine, but this particular movie just didn't work for me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  05:16:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd say it avoids it to the general public, but I can guarantee every casting director, director and producer who hired him knew exactly who he was.

Not to be rude, but if you're going to make a statement like that, I'd like to see some proof backing it up.

Someone intending to play the family card doesn't take an entirely unrelated surname.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  14:58:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to be rude, but if you're going to make a statement like that, I'd like to see some proof backing it up.

Someone intending to play the family card doesn't take an entirely unrelated surname.

I'd rather see you prove you original comment. Your acting like everything in Holloyweird is up front and in the public eye. Can you prove they didnt know who he is?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  15:51:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd rather see you prove you original comment. Your acting like everything in Holloyweird is up front and in the public eye. Can you prove they didnt know who he is?

I made no assertations other than a publicly stated fact: he changed his name to not cash in on the Coppola lineage. And it's only logical to assume that someone wanting to cash in on their name would not then change that name.

A guarantee, on the other hand, is a pretty strong assertation. If you're guaranteeing something, the burden of proof falls on you.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  16:17:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I made no assertations other than a publicly stated fact: he changed his name to not cash in on the Coppola lineage. And it's only logical to assume that someone wanting to cash in on their name would not then change that name.

A guarantee, on the other hand, is a pretty strong assertation. If you're guaranteeing something, the burden of proof falls on you.

A guarantee is too strong a word, but do you think Francis Ford Coppola knew who he was when he cast him for Rumble Fish(his first big role) and Peggy Sue got Married? If he did know he was his nephew, its not too big a leap to think word got around.

I just remebered how good he was in Leaving Las Vegas.

Sorry for the unintentioned threadjack, lets get back to Season of the Witch.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 18 Jan 2011 16:21:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  17:00:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A guarantee is too strong a word, but do you think Francis Ford Coppola knew who he was when he cast him for Rumble Fish(his first big role) and Peggy Sue got Married? If he did know he was his nephew, its not too big a leap to think word got around.

I just remebered how good he was in Leaving Las Vegas.

Sorry for the unintentioned threadjack, lets get back to Season of the Witch.

Well, sure, but according to Wikipedia: "He tried out for the role of Dallas Winston in his uncle's film The Outsiders, based on S.E. Hinton's novel, but lost to Matt Dillon."

What's the basic plot of Season of the Witch?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  17:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A plague afflicts the land. The Church has arrested a woman believed to be the witch who caused the sickness. To end it, she must be taken to a monastery where the monks can destroy the evil she embodies with a special ritual. Two disillusioned knights just back from the Crusades and a few other guys are given the task of getting her to the monastery. Various threats, supernatural and otherwise, make the journey perilous, and over it all hangs the question, is the prisoner really a witch, or is there something else at work?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  18:37:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

A plague afflicts the land. The Church has arrested a woman believed to be the witch who caused the sickness. To end it, she must be taken to a monastery where the monks can destroy the evil she embodies with a special ritual. Two disillusioned knights just back from the Crusades and a few other guys are given the task of getting her to the monastery. Various threats, supernatural and otherwise, make the journey perilous, and over it all hangs the question, is the prisoner really a witch, or is there something else at work?

Thank you most kindly!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  00:39:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Hmmm, interesting. I'll be inclined to see what constitutes the supernatural threats, I think.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  05:29:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Hmmm, interesting. I'll be inclined to see what constitutes the supernatural threats, I think.

Well, I have seen some reviews and the reviewers do not appear to indicate she is a witch, one indicating she was another power, one other appeared to believe the movie was more about the males ten the woman. There of course other reviews that liked the movie, however even non I have seen have said she was a witch.

In D&D we all know of many races that have powers, some for good and others for evil. The lady might be either a force of good or evil, I do not know yet.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 19 Jan 2011 14:09:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  09:10:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Witch or not I'm going to watch this movie.

Sadly, I don't know when this will be shown here in the Phil. It's not even in the 'coming soon' yet...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  10:54:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Supernatural threats include a pack of wolves that, when attacking, have their faces change to look menacing like a Krenshar from the monster manual but the skin doesn't actually peel back.

I actually had some reservations about her being a witch or not. It keeps you guessing for the first half of the movie, but then playes itself out well in the end. The script wasn't great, to be sure, but the overall effects, costumes, and conclusion I was happy with.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  19:53:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert[/iWhat's the basic plot of Season of the Witch?

As if you don't know.......Mr. Cage

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  20:11:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert[/iWhat's the basic plot of Season of the Witch?

I shouldn't mind having his looks... Or his money!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  22:34:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

But he's old and his hair is receding. He should have shaved his head.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:50:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Or the one Castle he has left!

I just realized we went through all that without any name calling...we should get a gold star O Wooly One!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:59:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He already sold it...

Edit: Oh, I forgot, he's got one left: Midford Castle.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jan 2011 02:04:08
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  02:50:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This movie is boring. I almost walked out the cinema in the middle part of the movie, but managed to convince myself that maybe something very interesting would be shown towards the end. Alas, I just wasted my time!

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  19:33:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

This movie is boring. I almost walked out the cinema in the middle part of the movie, but managed to convince myself that maybe something very interesting would be shown towards the end. Alas, I just wasted my time!

I wouldn't go that far. I thought they kept the audience in good suspence as to what the girl's "true motives" were until further into the movie. Though the CGI was a bit cheesy at the end with the Demon and everything. Still, I thought the costumes were very well done and close to historically accurate. Plust I like Ron Pearlman
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  11:29:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would have appreciated it [even a little] had she been a real witch or had the demon been a seneschal of an archfiend and opened a gateway to hell for his lord and his lackeys to enter the world.

The spell of banishment was also ridiculous. Far too long.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000