Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  00:37:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I remember watching this every Saturday at my grandmother's house.

When I saw this deal on amazon, i had to order it...$7.99 for the entire series!

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Complete-Willie-Aames/dp/B002DH20Q0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1295051462&sr=1-1

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  00:55:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SWEET! Thanks for the tip!

My kids love this cartoon.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  01:06:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

SWEET! Thanks for the tip!

My kids love this cartoon.

Your welcome...it's a steal!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  01:07:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, man, I paid full price when it came out on DVD!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  01:27:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

After your storage disaster, maybe you should pick this up for you back-up bunker

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  02:56:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

After your storage disaster, maybe you should pick this up for you back-up bunker

Heh.

Actually, I'd retrieved all the CDs and DVDs out of storage just a couple weeks before the fire. I lost maybe three of each.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  15:02:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember them putting out the whole series plus some 3e content including the player's stats as well as Venger and all their magical gear.

I also have the complete season and it's awesome!!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  17:09:24  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

+1

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  10:08:34  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reviews say that the latest Mill Creek release of the series has poor video quality, bad audio syncing, unplayable discs, defective packaging, and no extras, unlike the original BCI DVD release. Be careful...

<Here's> the original for comparison. Check out the extras.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  15:25:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

The reviews say that the latest Mill Creek release of the series has poor video quality, bad audio syncing, unplayable discs, defective packaging, and no extras, unlike the original BCI DVD release. Be careful...

<Here's> the original for comparison. Check out the extras.

Now that factoid makes me happy I have the original release.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  16:56:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I never heard of this.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  17:21:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Interesting. I never heard of this.

The original cartoon, or just its release on DVD?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  15:12:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original cartoon.

Is it good? Worth the time and money?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  15:46:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The original cartoon.

It was fun, back in the day. Keep in mind, though, that I was like 8 when I was watching it, didn't even know D&D was a game, and that it was during the 80s, so it had 80s animation.

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  16:14:53  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Walmart has it for $5.00...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  17:18:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The original cartoon.

It was fun, back in the day. Keep in mind, though, that I was like 8 when I was watching it, didn't even know D&D was a game, and that it was during the 80s, so it had 80s animation.

They didn't remake it using modern animation? Then I'll pass.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  23:25:37  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

Walmart has it for $5.00...

One of the reviews actually says that this Mill Creek edition is exactly like those $5.00 50-in-1 movie packages you can find in Walmart grab bag display bins, so don't expect much.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  00:37:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The original cartoon.

They didn't remake it using modern animation? Then I'll pass.

Why? Some of the best animation came from the 80's. Granted, there's a great many examples of fantastic animation in the CGI-age of cartoons, but there's something unique and inspiring about watching the original He-Man or Centurions, that you just can't get from modern animation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  07:59:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could retain the original story in the remade version, but the animation has to 'modernized.'

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  11:36:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They could retain the original story in the remade version, but the animation has to 'modernized.'

I don't believe I've ever heard of someone doing that with a cartoon. What would be the point? It's a lot of work for not a lot of return.

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  12:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't believe I've ever heard of someone doing that with a cartoon. What would be the point? It's a lot of work for not a lot of return.

Heh, that reminds me of Transformers. I recently watched the new Transformers movies after wathcing the original 80's movie. Dispite all the new cool special effects and stuff I still prefer the original 80's style of animation.

Speaking of movies... After Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Apprentice wouldn't a movie based on the 80's D&D serie be awesome?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  12:49:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

quote:

Heh, that reminds me of Transformers. I recently watched the new Transformers movies after wathcing the original 80's movie. Dispite all the new cool special effects and stuff I still prefer the original 80's style of animation.

Speaking of movies... After Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Apprentice wouldn't a movie based on the 80's D&D serie be awesome?

Just so long as they get a couple of really attractive actresses for Diana and Sheila and make sure they dress them the same as in the cartoon!

(I had the biggest crush on Sheila when I was a kid! )

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  13:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You got a pretty good deal on it. My brother bought it last year. I tried to watch it with him, but I couldn't get through the first episode (I had trouble getting through the first 2 minutes of it lol). But I've struggled re-watching the original Transformers, so meh! RETRO!!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  22:38:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The point? Why, to attract new audience of this generation, of course, who would, I believe, very much prefer the 'modern' type of animation.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  02:28:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The point? Why, to attract new audience of this generation, of course, who would, I believe, very much prefer the 'modern' type of animation.

How would they attract them? Dungeons & Dragons was a Saturday morning cartoon -- and Saturday morning cartoons have long since fallen by the wayside. As for appealing to older viewers (as in, for example, folks 18-30), it's pretty much a no-go there, too -- animation is, in the US, widely regarded as a medium intended for children. Sure, we've got cartoons like The Simpsons or Family Guy that break that mold, but they are the exception, not the rule. And those cartoons, unlike Dungeons & Dragons, are aimed at adult audiences and focus on adult humor.

And it would likely alienate a notable portion of the guaranteed audience: the original viewers.

So again: a lot of work, not a lot of return.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  03:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How would they attract them? Dungeons & Dragons was a Saturday morning cartoon -- and Saturday morning cartoons have long since fallen by the wayside. As for appealing to older viewers (as in, for example, folks 18-30), it's pretty much a no-go there, too -- animation is, in the US, widely regarded as a medium intended for children. Sure, we've got cartoons like The Simpsons or Family Guy that break that mold, but they are the exception, not the rule. And those cartoons, unlike Dungeons & Dragons, are aimed at adult audiences and focus on adult humor.

And it would likely alienate a notable portion of the guaranteed audience: the original viewers.

So again: a lot of work, not a lot of return.

I say go with an idea I heard around the time this was originally released on DVD. I believe I heard it on one of the minis boards because there was talk of making a minis set for the characters. One person brought up his own plot idea. The idea was that at some point Dungeon Master dies (probably killed by Venger), so the kids are stuck. By the time we meet them again they are all high level characters fighting/killing/stealing (you know, hero stuff) their way through the D&D world and they would all be fairly jaded and grizzled by that point. Kind of like some of the basic ideas behind The Venture Bros (or at least the ideas behind Rusty Venture being a complete failure and Johnny Quest being a smack addict). I doubt you could make a series based around that, but I would watch it.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  13:57:58  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting trivia (for me anyways):

The final script for the cartoon answers two important questions. Does the Dungeonmaster reclaim his son? Do the kids find a way home?

Thanks to the kids the Dungeonmaster and Venger plotline does get resolved. (Father & Son reunite)
But the cost was high for the party, they missed their chance to go home.

If you purchase this DVD set, http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Complete-Willie-Aames/dp/B000JBXY44, it has a ‘radio play’ of the final script on the last disc.

Further trivia : A TSR produce comic shows an older version of the kids in the Forgotten Realms. Somehow in their many adventures they plane hop to Faerun. I guess in an official capacity they exist in Waterdeep in 1360’s

And one of the Baldur Gate games briefly mentions them too...

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  17:15:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd read that the choice was presented to the kids, and the ep ended with them undecided...

The Grand Tour comic does indeed show the kids winding up in Shadowdale. Unfortunately, the plot is weak and the artwork is bad.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  19:54:47  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought I'd read that the choice was presented to the kids, and the ep ended with them undecided...

The Grand Tour comic does indeed show the kids winding up in Shadowdale. Unfortunately, the plot is weak and the artwork is bad.

Yay, a good excuse for me to re-listen to the episode!

Ahh yes, the Grand Tour comic with Presto getting a trip around familiar areas of the Realms and I think some unknowns ones too.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  00:58:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine arrived today and my three year old saw the cover and said wow, that looks cool....I cant wait to watch them with him tomorrow. Tonight is Speed Racer and Voltron

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000