Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  01:39:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I always thought of him as more like an ameoba. Just keeps splitting off new ones....

That's a good one. But most amoeba are microscopic. I don't need any microscope to see how exceedingly annoying Manshoon is.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 22 Oct 2010 01:40:59
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  01:53:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. But where do you find a jar big enough to hold all the "Cloneroaches"? Or a can of Raid strong enough to get them all? A shoe certainly won't do the job. Maybe the world's bigest roach motel? Baited with some ancient artifact?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  02:08:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True. But where do you find a jar big enough to hold all the "Cloneroaches"? Or a can of Raid strong enough to get them all? A shoe certainly won't do the job. Maybe the world's bigest roach motel? Baited with some ancient artifact?

Point taken. In terms of 'clonability' alone, amoeba could be the best comparison. However, in terms of both 'clonability' and size, I say cockroach is, specially the Macropanesthia rhinoceros, which can reach 3.5 inches and weigh more than 30 grams.

Edited by - Dennis on 22 Oct 2010 02:11:49
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  13:36:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
dennis:
... can reach 3.5 inches and weigh more than 30 grams.
That's about the same size as a little chocolate bar, y'know.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  15:01:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

quote:
dennis:
... can reach 3.5 inches and weigh more than 30 grams.
That's about the same size as a little chocolate bar, y'know.

I know. It's just for the sake of comparison to amoeba's size. Besides, I couldn't think of a larger, more annoying insect that multiplies/clones than a cockroach. And that's Manshoon for me.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  16:24:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha the cockroach reference is due to Manshoon's multiplying/cloning qualities. That makes sense.

I call him a cockroach because he's bloody impossible to exterminate, he can survive (even prosper) in any environment, and because he tends to frantically scuttle into the darkness whenever startled. And he's kinda icky.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Oct 2010 16:26:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  16:55:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aha the cockroach reference is due to Manshoon's multiplying/cloning qualities. That makes sense.

I call him a cockroach because he's bloody impossible to exterminate, he can survive (even prosper) in any environment, and because he tends to frantically scuttle into the darkness whenever startled. And he's kinda icky.

His ickiness is the least of his undesirable traits. His unparalleled recklessness, coupled with kobold-level stupidity, and his immeasurable attempts to cheat death never fail to irritate me. He's the primary reason I lost interest in some of Ed's novels – because where Ed is, the cockroach is almost always there too.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  17:23:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, now, I think we must disagree. Manshoon's not quite that badly portrayed, and he is a scheming megalomaniac archmage after all - he invented the Zhentarim. Though yes it is true that he's been turned into a recurring incompetent worm of a villain, much as seen every weekend morning on Power Rangers. In all fairness, I personally feel even more queasy with Elminster than Manshoon, again because the character has just been too overused and overdone. At least Cloneshoon has devised a properly Karsus-like excuse to explain his continued existence, not some cheating "gift of the gods" nonsense. Elminster was a truly interesting and awesome character in earlier days, but he's been turned into a grandfather Mary-Sue, so of course his nemesis will suck as well. Just my opinions, of course.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  18:21:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are the Supes and Luthor of Faerun. Kidding, don't start beating me for the DC ref. Ahem- back to topic. Sort of. Are there any names you guys HATE? I never liked the name Deudermont- it sounds too much like a mountain of poo!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  18:43:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As already mentioned, I've never liked the names Elminster and Drizzt. The characters are (or were) quite entertaining, even though their names suck. IMHO, of course.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  18:45:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aw, now, I think we must disagree. Manshoon's not quite that badly portrayed, and he is a scheming megalomaniac archmage after all - he invented the Zhentarim. Though yes it is true that he's been turned into a recurring incompetent worm of a villain, much as seen every weekend morning on Power Rangers. In all fairness, I personally feel even more queasy with Elminster than Manshoon, again because the character has just been too overused and overdone. At least Cloneshoon has devised a properly Karsus-like excuse to explain his continued existence, not some cheating "gift of the gods" nonsense. Elminster was a truly interesting and awesome character in earlier days, but he's been turned into a grandfather Mary-Sue, so of course his nemesis will suck as well. Just my opinions, of course.

I'm well aware that many here at the 'Keep like (or even adore) the cockroach, er, Manshoon. So I'm not asking you to agree with me. Just saying I can't stand him – and never will. He's my least favorite archcockroach, er, archvillain. Most of the time, the very mention of his name is more than enough for me to throw the book I'm reading.

Back to the topic: Keya sounds good, too. It's like a combination of innocence and innocence lost – a lass who first didn't know how to deal with men, and later became a temptress.

quote:

Are there any names you guys HATE?

Drizzt. Sounds like spitting. When I first heard that name, I thought he's a funny, clownish character.

Go to Top of Page

drkissinger1
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  21:42:22  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric has always been one of my favorite names, but only if it's pronounced SEER - ick. It almost sounds like a poison or toxin to me. Fits the man nicely. Also it produces one of my favorite adjectives: Cyricist, which I pronounce SEER - a - sist.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  02:04:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drkissinger1

Cyric has always been one of my favorite names, but only if it's pronounced SEER - ick. It almost sounds like a poison or toxin to me. Fits the man nicely. Also it produces one of my favorite adjectives: Cyricist, which I pronounce SEER - a - sist.

I don't particularly dislike the name Cyric, and I don't like it either. But in terms of appropriateness, for some reason, or maybe just because how it sounds, it is fit for the character himself.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  03:09:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, I always thought it sounded kinda like a syrupy snake. Sssyr-ick!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  04:49:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Snake-sounding name? That's Szass! It can even be coined to mean King (of Snakes). So that would mean Tam is a king. King Tam. Oh no...too much coffee again...I'm blabbering.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  07:37:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL!! Interesting. But what I meant was that Cyric's name just makes me picture a snake covered in syrup for some reason.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  00:36:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL!! Interesting. But what I meant was that Cyric's name just makes me picture a snake covered in syrup for some reason.

Pardon my misconception. Blame the coffee.

I'm reading Darkvision. And I find the name Ususi quite intriguing. I neither like nor dislike it. But its significance in the story is somewhat related to its meaning in our native language. 'Susi' in our language means 'key.' And Ususi is finding the 'keystones' to the Celestial Nadir. Perhaps the 'U' is a symbol for stone from some dead language. Mere happenstance?

Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  02:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

Pardon my misconception. Blame the coffee.

I'm reading Darkvision. And I find the name Ususi quite intriguing. I neither like nor dislike it. But its significance in the story is somewhat related to its meaning in our native language. 'Susi' in our language means 'key.' And Ususi is finding the 'keystones' to the Celestial Nadir. Perhaps the 'U' is a symbol for stone from some dead language. Mere happenstance?

Haha, Susi in Finnish means Wolf.

And then on to my list:
Loviatar is one of the coolest names. And just an added bonus to it is that it's from Finnish mythology.

Mielikki is from Finnish mythology too, but that would have to be one of the lamest names in my opinion :x

Other cool names would be Drasek Riven, Elminster, Simbul, Ilmater, Azuth, Bane, Shar, Bahamut, Erevis Cale, Nalfein Do'Urden...

Yeah, I know. That's a lot of deities, but can't help it, their names are badass.

Edited by - Ananta on 29 Oct 2010 02:16:14
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  02:31:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ananta

Mielikki is from Finnish mythology too, but that would have to be one of the lamest names in my opinion :x

Agreed. It sounds like our native “may liki” which literally means “there's a crack,” and figuratively, “crazy.”

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  05:27:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dennis? Where are you from? What language is that? I always thought Mielikki just sounds kinda raunchy....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  05:42:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

dennis? Where are you from? What language is that? I always thought Mielikki just sounds kinda raunchy....

Philippines. Particularly in Davao City. My native language (Cebuano, a.k.a. Bisaya) is different from our national language (Filipino). “May liki” is a combination of the two. 'May' is a Filipino word – its Cebuano equivalence is 'naay' (pronounced as nah-ay), meaning 'there is/was/are/were.' And 'liki' is definitely Cebuano, meaning 'crack.' The sentence “May liki” or even the word “liki” alone figuratively means “crazy.”

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  05:48:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. So it could be used as in "You're (on) crack!"? That's a similar term here in the states for the same thing.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  06:02:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. So it could be used as in "You're (on) crack!"? That's a similar term here in the states for the same thing.

Exactly. Perhaps with a little etymological research, I'll find out that the origin of its figurative meaning is the U.S., which significantly influences our media and our regional and national languages.

Anyway, I always find the name Shala Thaeral funny. 'Shala' is part of the lyrics of the opening song of the very first DragonBall series...'Shala; head shala...' or something like that...I don't know, to me it sounds funny.

Edited by - Dennis on 29 Oct 2010 10:18:32
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  10:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Snake-sounding name? That's Szass! It can even be coined to mean King (of Snakes). So that would mean Tam is a king. King Tam. Oh no...too much coffee again...I'm blabbering.

Snake sounding - Sseth. Zssulk Starm (y'know that yuan-ti from Skullport?)

Interesting bit about Finnish mythology.
I wonder where did the designers get the names for drow deities?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  10:51:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

Snake sounding - Sseth. Zssulk Starm (y'know that yuan-ti from Skullport?)

Interesting bit about Finnish mythology.
I wonder where did the designers get the names for drow deities?

Sseth. Being a god that resembles a snake, 'tis not a wonder.

I can't recall Zssulk Starm. Did he do something of note?

Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  12:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Agreed. It sounds like our native “may liki” which literally means “there's a crack,” and figuratively, “crazy.”

In Finnish, Mielikki quite literally means "Pet" (like you'd have dog as a pet). It's an old word though, not something one would use in everyday speech.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  13:58:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

In Finnish, Mielikki quite literally means "Pet" (like you'd have dog as a pet). It's an old word though, not something one would use in everyday speech.

Does it mean Meilikki in Finnish mythology is a god/goddess of pets/animals?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  00:54:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a matter of fact, she is. I have the old 1tst ed book of pantheons- I forget the title off-hand- that had the Finnish pantheonin it. She is the goddess of woodlands and animals. I used the Finnish goddess of beauty and vanity(can't remember her name) as the basis for one of my homebrew deities- Vallenya, goddess of illusions, vanity, and selfish desires. She's NE, of course. That book also had Arthurian, Chinese, Babylonian, Sumerian, Native American, and several other obscure pantheons.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  02:44:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As a matter of fact, she is. I have the old 1tst ed book of pantheons- I forget the title off-hand- that had the Finnish pantheonin it. She is the goddess of woodlands and animals. I used the Finnish goddess of beauty and vanity(can't remember her name) as the basis for one of my homebrew deities- Vallenya, goddess of illusions, vanity, and selfish desires. She's NE, of course. That book also had Arthurian, Chinese, Babylonian, Sumerian, Native American, and several other obscure pantheons.

Deities & Demigods. There were two versions of it. The original version had the Cthulhu and Elric pantheons included, but those were excluded from the reprint. Then the book was reprinted as Legends & Lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Oct 2010 02:45:05
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  03:05:10  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure which version I have. I don't remember the Cthulu pantheon in it, but it WAS called Deities and Demigods. With the blue/purple cover with gods in constellations and some sort of temple on it, right? Mine's been in storage for some time now. Along with MOST of my D&D stuff. (Except for the few I CAN'T go without, lol!)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000