Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  06:19:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like the sound of Zhara, too. There's even a Russian movie of that title.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  07:46:37  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the names of Cormyr's court wizards, my self -- Baerauble, Amedahast, Thanderahast, and Vangerdahast.

Similarly, the name Orbaskyr always had a somewhat majestic ring in my ears: a great name for a royal family.

EDIT: Also, Shandril Shessair sounds really cool as well.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 03 Oct 2010 07:47:59
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  08:47:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Similarly, the name Orbaskyr always had a somewhat majestic ring in my ears: a great name for a royal family.

I concur. Though for some reason, I think it's better used as a first name.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  10:49:30  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about the Obarskyrs, I like the Tethyrian dynasty's name too
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  12:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which one? Strohm? Rhindaun? Or, heaven forbid... Shoon?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  13:01:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

Which one? Strohm? Rhindaun? Or, heaven forbid... Shoon?

I like the queen's name (minus the Star): Zaranda Rhindaun.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Oct 2010 13:16:21
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  20:48:43  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Augathra, when I hear that name I think what a babe

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  07:41:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Augathra, when I hear that name I think what a babe

Augathra the Mad? The one who became part of the Sharn? Nice name indeed. But her existence is far from nice.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  17:19:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharess. It just sounds so sensual. Fitting....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  04:04:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only Realms name that reminds me of caress, which sounds like it (and fitting for a goddess of pleasure).

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  16:23:11  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Shadowsil sounds like a name fit for an assassin.

That one always made me think of a windowsill.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  14:07:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Shadowsil sounds like a name fit for an assassin.

That one always made me think of a windowsill.

Sometimes it does make me think so, since the last two syllables sound the same.

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  01:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis Entreri. It just kinds of rolls off the tongue. Granted I may be a little biased, seeing as how he's also my favorite Realms character.

When it comes to my characters, I seldom play Dwarves (despite them being my favorite race), but when I do their last name is ALWAYS StormOre. A tradition I started in Baldur's Gate, and continue on to this day. I like to imagine there being an entire clan of Dwarves dedicated to adventuring.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  05:01:54  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salius Kai

Artemis Entreri. It just kinds of rolls off the tongue. Granted I may be a little biased, seeing as how he's also my favorite Realms character.

I've always like the name Artemis as well, going back to the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (children's books, but good fun nevertheless). It's a great name for an assassin as well, being the name of the goddess () of the hunt in Roman mythology.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  05:36:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Sandro- Artemis is the Greek goddess. Diana is the Roman one. Sorry, that's just my two Zhents... LOL!!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  07:08:48  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like many elven and drow names, they sound so charming.
I also like Artemis and Erevis names. Artemis may be a Greek goddess, but it doesn't sound too feminine for me, cos in Russian language there is an ordinary male name Artyom, so Entreri's name sounds somewhat familiar.
I've already mentioned somewhere that Drizzt sounds really bad in Russian.
Laeral sounds nice.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  07:17:06  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Actually, Sandro- Artemis is the Greek goddess. Diana is the Roman one. Sorry, that's just my two Zhents... LOL!!

Bah, I always mix those two up -- nice catch.

And what on earth would you be doing with two Zhents?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  09:00:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:

Bah, I always mix those two up -- nice catch.

And what on earth would you be doing with two Zhents?

You get what they are worth?

And we have a winner of today's worst joke I would think.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  09:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Quinsareth" and "Nita the Halfbreed," although "Zundaerazylym" sounds mischievous enough to truly be a "Laughing Wyrm."

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  22:32:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some favourite Realms canon names/words -
Aglarond, Alturiak, Azuth, Baldur, Calimshan, Chancelgaunt, Chondath, Damara, Glanvyl, Glister, Khelben, Korth, Lantan, Loross, Loviatar, Maligor, Manshoon, Melvaunt, Nevron, Orcus, Phalse, Sabirine, Shar, Talos, Tantras, Thesk, Tulrun, Vilhon

Some favourite house names (on which I'll claim copyright) -
Alkerion (stolen from Ultima IV), Gilligan the Turqoise Blade (lol), Largo Presk, Scalamunga, Stratos Swiftwind, Vargas Calavera

Names that try too hard to be "elven" are just unreadable and silly, and agreed, Drizzt just sounds like badly-translated slavic. I generally enjoy Greenwood's writings and the now-expected Elminster character/archetype, even though I absolutely despised the "wimpy sounding" name from the very first moment I heard it (over time, I've just gotten used to tolerating it, lol).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Oct 2010 23:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  07:03:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Kyrene

"Quinsareth" and "Nita the Halfbreed," although "Zundaerazylym" sounds mischievous enough to truly be a "Laughing Wyrm."

My grandmother's name is Nita. So yeah, I love that name, too.

quote:

Originally posted by Arik

Aglarond, Alturiak, Azuth, Baldur, Calimshan, Chancelgaunt, Chondath, Damara, Glanvyl, Glister

Glister? Sorry, sounds like blister to me. Though it also sounds like a good name for a chihuahua.

Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  08:11:36  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Any of Ed's characters, really. I love his style with Realms naming conventions... and it's a trend I try to follow when working up NPCs for my Realms.

Any more information about this?

A name, I really like is "Storm Silverhand" :-D
It's simple, yet very creative. Though it maybe that's because I'm not a English native speaker, but even the translation is good ;-)

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  08:24:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Any of Ed's characters, really. I love his style with Realms naming conventions... and it's a trend I try to follow when working up NPCs for my Realms.

Any more information about this?
You can perform a search through the "So Saith Ed" archives for previous replies from Ed about his naming conventions used in the Realms. [See the link in my signature.] Other than that, just peruse any published Ed-lore. That should give you some idea about how he crafts names for his characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  16:50:36  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aglarond, Alturiak, Azuth, Baldur, Calimshan, Chancelgaunt, Chondath, Damara, Glanvyl, Glister, Khelben, Korth, Lantan, Loross, Loviatar, Maligor, Manshoon, Melvaunt, Nevron, Orcus, Phalse, Sabirine, Shar, Talos, Tantras, Thesk, Tulrun, Vilhon

Some favourite house names (on which I'll claim copyright) -
Alkerion (stolen from Ultima IV), Gilligan the Turqoise Blade (lol), Largo Presk, Scalamunga, Stratos Swiftwind, Vargas Calavera

Names that try too hard to be "elven" are just unreadable and silly, and agreed, Drizzt just sounds like badly-translated slavic. I generally enjoy Greenwood's writings and the now-expected Elminster character/archetype, even though I absolutely despised the "wimpy sounding" name from the very first moment I heard it (over time, I've just gotten used to tolerating it, lol).

The elven names do have a definite nomenclature base, so I like most of them. Dargon did an article WAAY back on drow names, which I still use. Drizzt's name translated is actually pretty cool. "SteelHunter". Nice connection to his being a two-weapon ranger! (Do'Urden ends up meaning "Walkers-in-the-Darkness, BTW.) I do agree that some of the drow and elven names don't exactly roll off the tongue, though. Jarlaxle is great, but Bergin'yon? sounds like a type of onion....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:33:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jarlaxle is great, but Bergin'yon? sounds like a type of onion....

Who knows, Ed was eating onion when he thought of that name...Oh, wait, was it Ed or Bob who made that name?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  00:46:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Manshoon doesn't sound edible?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  00:50:25  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that was Bob. But maybe you're right, and he was. Manshoon edible? Hmm, maybe if you're comparing him to a mushroom. But some of those are only edible ONCE. I'd guess he'd fit in to that category.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  01:03:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Manshoon doesn't sound edible?

I don't eat cockroach!

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  01:23:32  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought of him as more like an ameoba. Just keeps splitting off new ones....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  01:35:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloneshoons, yeah. They probably taste like cockroach, too.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000